These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

UNSCHEDULED DOWNTIME EXTENSION - 2016/02/24

First post
Author
CCP Falcon
#1 - 2016-02-24 12:01:25 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
Hey guys,

Given that planned database upgrades have taken a little longer than we expected due to the sheer size of the database running on Tranquility, today's extended downtime needs to be further extended through to 13:00 UTC.

We hope to have Tranquility back online and in VIP mode by 12:30-12:45 UTC, and aim to be accepting connections by 13:00 UTC.

Apologies for the delay in Tranquility being back online.

Updates will be provided in this thread.

- F

UPDATE - 12:40 - TRANQUILITY IS BACK ONLINE AND ACCEPTING CONNECTIONS

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2016-02-24 12:05:07 UTC
Hope all goes well!

No Worries

Kwisatz' Haderach
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#3 - 2016-02-24 12:09:11 UTC
Someone forgot to feed the hamsters, didn't they?
BlackSnowX86
Critical Influx
#4 - 2016-02-24 12:10:24 UTC
anyone remember those unplaned 2 to 5 days downtimes.

when ccp upgraded the server a few years back?

OLD DAYS
Khaprice
Hoplite Brigade
Ushra'Khan
#5 - 2016-02-24 12:12:17 UTC
Aye, TYVM for the updates, and good luck in there!
Smuff Gallente
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-02-24 12:12:25 UTC
BlackSnowX86 wrote:

OLD DAYS

Yes i remember them and i don't think this one is going to be much different
Kenneth Feld
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#7 - 2016-02-24 12:12:37 UTC
BlackSnowX86 wrote:

OLD DAYS

Wait until TQ Tech III
Smuff Gallente
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-02-24 12:14:04 UTC
Kenneth Feld wrote:
BlackSnowX86 wrote:

OLD DAYS

Wait until TQ Tech III

Yeah that's true this is only a database update not the actual hardware install
NotTheClone YerLookinFor
NotTheCorp YerLookinFor
#9 - 2016-02-24 12:19:23 UTC
Simple rule of running a business. If you think the job is going to take 2hrs. Tell the customer it will take 4 or 5hrs to complete. This will reflect good on the company as they are completing the job before expected.

However, telling the customer that the job will take 2hrs, then add another hour every hour...... This reflects bad on the company, makes them look like they never finish a job on time. This is when customers get upset and expect compensation and creates a situation that was easily avoided in the first place.

I'm not mad, nor do I want any compensation. I just figured that CCP as a business would have figured this out by now.
Darkblad
Doomheim
#10 - 2016-02-24 12:24:43 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

- F
Update
Darkblad
Doomheim
#11 - 2016-02-24 12:27:30 UTC
NotTheClone YerLookinFor wrote:
Simple rule of running a business. If you think the job is going to take 2hrs. Tell the customer it will take 4 or 5hrs to complete. This will reflect good on the company as they are completing the job before expected.

However, telling the customer that the job will take 2hrs, then add another hour every hour...... This reflects bad on the company, makes them look like they never finish a job on time. This is when customers get upset and expect compensation and creates a situation that was easily avoided in the first place.

I'm not mad, nor do I want any compensation. I just figured that CCP as a business would have figured this out by now.
What if the time for this downtime was expected to be, say 30 minutes internally and the buffer of 1 1/2 hours until the announced duration was considered to be enough to fix unexpected isses?
knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#12 - 2016-02-24 12:44:20 UTC

Calm your **** dude - there was a warning about this. Back in the day every down time was longer, some work took the servers down for days and if you're a boot.ini survivor today's work seems quite trivial in comparison.
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
Snuffed Out
#13 - 2016-02-24 12:49:58 UTC

Isnt that lying? i mean a company being dishonest with customers isnt a good look, simple rule of running a business....dont tell lies to your customers Cool

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2016-02-24 13:57:49 UTC
Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

stg slate
We're Kind of a Big Deal
#15 - 2016-02-24 14:14:01 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Hey guys,

Given that planned database upgrades have taken a little longer than we expected due to the sheer size of the database running on Tranquility, today's extended downtime needs to be further extended through to 13:00 UTC.

We hope to have Tranquility back online and in VIP mode by 12:30-12:45 UTC, and aim to be accepting connections by 13:00 UTC.

- F

Hey Falco, how about poking someone into responding to this thread with more information:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6358235#post6358235

Right now people are spamming everything in the world EVE-related with posts about how using PLH/Mumble/EFT/whatever will get you banned. I'd like to read about internet spaceships but between this 3rd party overlay stuff and the skill injector drama it is cutting into my forum warrioring.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#16 - 2016-02-24 20:45:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sobaan Tali
Ahah, so that's what that was. EveMon was going nuts with "offline" popups and I though my crappy internet was doing it's usual thing being garbage. Thanks for letting us know, though, CCP Falcon. A like for you...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#17 - 2016-02-25 05:36:48 UTC
ChromeStriker wrote:
Hope all goes well!
At least better than that face of yours. *shudder*

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Vol Arm'OOO
Central Co-Prosperity Union
#18 - 2016-02-25 16:32:21 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Hey guys,

- F

Reparations! Free Sp for the masses.

I don't play, I just fourm warrior.

John Crichton Farscape
Moi et mes Alt
#19 - 2016-02-26 23:56:02 UTC
Why arer they doing this the week end went most people have free time to play, why aren't doing this sometime like Monday morning ?
Bemo
Narcosis.
#20 - 2016-02-27 03:18:16 UTC
John Crichton Farscape wrote:
why aren't doing this sometime like Monday morning ?

Why? Some people have Mondays off too ya know.....
12Next page