These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

EVE turned me into an Econ major.

Author
Buzz Orti
State War Academy
Caldari State
#21 - 2016-01-01 02:39:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzz Orti
* 1. Equation : complex exponential fraction
Explanation : Interest (A)
- - - - A = Amount of Principal + Interest
- - - - P = Principal
- - - - I = Interest rate
- - - - N = Number of years
- - - - T = Number of payments per year

2. Equation : C = R S
Explanation : Commission (C)
- - - - R = Rate
- - - - S = Sales

3. Equation : D = P - PR
Explanation : Discount Price (D)
- - - - P = Price
- - - - R = Percent Discount

4. Equation : C = P - PM
Explanation : Mark-up Price (C)
- - - - P = Wholesale price
- - - - R = Mark-up price

Obviously, this one has an error of logic. Either R is M and/or it is a percentage of something...

* 5. Equation : exponential fraction
Explanation : Percent of a sum (%)
- - - - P = Item
- - - - T = Total of all items

* 6. Equation : square root of a fraction
Explanation : Economic Order Quantity (E)
- - - - D = Average weekly demand
- - - - C = Cost of placing an order
- - - - P = Unit purchase price
- - - - H = % cost of purchase price for inventory overhead

* 7. Equation : dual numerator fraction
Explanation : Straight-Line Depreciation (D)
- - - - D = Depreciation
- - - - P = Purchase cost
- - - - S = Salvage value
- - - - N = Useful life in years

* 8. Equation : fraction with dual denominator and fraction
Explanation : Break-Even Analysis (B)
- - - - B = Break-even point
- - - - F = Fixed costs
- - - - V = Variable costs
- - - - S = Expected sales

This one has serious errors, such as no V and S, but 1 T and one I instead.
So, verify elsewhere on google... Every one knows about break-even analysis...

9. Equation : Spreadsheet Function
Explanation : Present Value (PV)
- - - - This is the present value of known amount
- - - - of money in the futrue.

Yes, futrue... If the future was few true, it could lead to negative logic.

Figure A.1continued
10. Equation : Spreadsheet Function
Explanation : Future Value (FV)
- - - - This is the future value of a known amount of
- - - - money today.

11. Equation : Spreadsheet Function
Explanation : Net Present Value (NPV)
- - - - This is the net return on an investment. It is the
- - - - present value of cash inflows minus the present
- - - - value of the outflows.

12. Equation : Spreadsheet Function
Explanation : Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
- - - - Percentage of return on an investment.

13. Equation : A = S / N
Explanation : Average (a)
- - - - S = Sum of the items
- - - - N = Number of items

14. Equation : Spreadsheet Function
Explanation : Payment (P)
Given an amount of a loan, the interest rate, and the
number of years to payback, will calculate the payment.
- - - - L = Amount of the loan
- - - - R = Monthly Interest
- - - - N = Number of payments

Again, variables without algorithm, although it can be figured out.

15. Equation : P = N / S
Explanation : Profit Margin (P)
- - - - N = Net profit after tax
- - - - S = Sales

16. Equation : ROA = N / A
Explanation : Return on Assets (ROA)
- - - - N = Net profit after tax
- - - - A = Total assets

17. Equation : R = A / L
Explanation : Current Ratio (R)
- - - - A = Current assets
- - - - L = Current liabilities

18. Equation : C = A / S
Average Collection Period (C)
- - - - A = Accounts receivable
- - - - S = Sales per day

Builds ship in empty Quafe bottle.

Buzz Orti
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2016-02-08 06:59:11 UTC
Images for the more complicated equations coming up

Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2016-02-10 00:42:58 UTC
I learned 90% of what I know about economics from EVE.

It's an economic microcosm.
Buzz Orti
State War Academy
Caldari State
#24 - 2016-02-15 06:21:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzz Orti
http://imgur.com/tkQCoo7

finally worked from imgur but
both their web and app interface were updated and the upload function modified

+ I don't remember my account data (to log in)

+ #5 is not exponential but a simple multiplication of a fraction result (so, simple, and not complex).

Adunh Slavy
#25 - 2016-02-17 03:29:02 UTC
Droidster wrote:

It's an economic microcosm.

But not the smallest economic microcosm.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2016-02-21 01:59:56 UTC
Thouncy wrote:
Darkstar01 wrote:
Thouncy wrote:
Prior to college, maybe my freshman year of highschool (2009-10ish) I got into EVE, had an on and off relationship with it for a few years, always fascinated by the trading aspect of the game. Being in my Sophomore year of college and already in a program to recieve my masters degree a year after my bachelors, I'd like to thank you fucks in market discussion for getting me obsessed with economics. Just clicked in my mind that this was probably what set the desire to major in this.

I graduated with a B.S. degree in Economics. In my opinion the only thing you learn is how to BS.

Also, straight out of my Economics professor's mouth (who went to Harvard), he said to a classroom of 100+ people that the main reason why we go to college is to learn how to bullshit.

So unless if you want to be an Economist and work in academic related field, most of the stuff you learn are just theoretical, useless, and don't apply to real life.

In Economics, you would often solve silly problems using silly mathematics where they use the symbol "Pi" for Profit........ by the way Pi does not mean profit, Pi means 3.14159 and that's real math.

I suggest studying something more practical and useful in everyday life: i.e. programming / engineering / medicine / law / accounting.

I regret wasting my time getting an Economics degree, and the only reason I did so was because my mother (who only has a high school degree), thought it would be a useful major, and would not pay for my tuition unless I major in something that she agrees on.

The degree (and masters) are meant to get me into law school after I'm done with them, so no worries there. I enjoy the field and the way you characterize it is extremely wrong, economics does have an established understanding about how economies work. But regardless thanks for the warning but I'm happy where I'm at.

Well...micro economics has a pretty good theory. Macro on the other hand is just bull****. Ask any macro economist, "Are incentives important?" and the answer will almost undoubtedly be, "Yes, of course." Then ask, "Where are incentives in modern macro models?" and he'll probably be a bit peeved at you. There is zero incentive theory in macro models. Macro also treats things like capital (plant and equipment) as being infinitely malleable, that capital can be moved from one type of production to another nearly instantly.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#27 - 2016-02-21 23:48:53 UTC
Darkstar01 wrote:
Thouncy wrote:
Prior to college, maybe my freshman year of highschool (2009-10ish) I got into EVE, had an on and off relationship with it for a few years, always fascinated by the trading aspect of the game. Being in my Sophomore year of college and already in a program to recieve my masters degree a year after my bachelors, I'd like to thank you fucks in market discussion for getting me obsessed with economics. Just clicked in my mind that this was probably what set the desire to major in this.

I graduated with a B.S. degree in Economics. In my opinion the only thing you learn is how to BS.

Also, straight out of my Economics professor's mouth (who went to Harvard), he said to a classroom of 100+ people that the main reason why we go to college is to learn how to bullshit.

So unless if you want to be an Economist and work in academic related field, most of the stuff you learn are just theoretical, useless, and don't apply to real life.

In Economics, you would often solve silly problems using silly mathematics where they use the symbol "Pi" for Profit........ by the way Pi does not mean profit, Pi means 3.14159 and that's real math.

I suggest studying something more practical and useful in everyday life: i.e. programming / engineering / medicine / law / accounting.

I regret wasting my time getting an Economics degree, and the only reason I did so was because my mother (who only has a high school degree), thought it would be a useful major, and would not pay for my tuition unless I major in something that she agrees on.

And if you are interested in investing and the stock market, an Accounting degree, or Law degree focused on Securities Law, is much more helpful. Economics is useless here.

Seldom heard such an amount of inaccurate reasoning and facts. Makes me throw up!
Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#28 - 2016-02-21 23:54:15 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Thouncy wrote:
Darkstar01 wrote:
Thouncy wrote:

The degree (and masters) are meant to get me into law school after I'm done with them, so no worries there. I enjoy the field and the way you characterize it is extremely wrong, economics does have an established understanding about how economies work. But regardless thanks for the warning but I'm happy where I'm at.

Well...micro economics has a pretty good theory. Macro on the other hand is just bull****. Ask any macro economist, "Are incentives important?" and the answer will almost undoubtedly be, "Yes, of course." Then ask, "Where are incentives in modern macro models?" and he'll probably be a bit peeved at you. There is zero incentive theory in macro models. Macro also treats things like capital (plant and equipment) as being infinitely malleable, that capital can be moved from one type of production to another nearly instantly.

You think that macro is a static discipline, while in fact is not. You do not like the models you are taught? Make better ones!
Buzz Orti
State War Academy
Caldari State
#29 - 2016-02-22 00:08:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzz Orti
https://www.google.ca/search?q=break-even+analysis&oq=break-even+analysis&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.3809j0j4&client=tablet-android-cellon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.sba.gov/content/breakeven-analysis

Break-even_(economics) on wikipedia

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/breakevenanalysis.asp

So google doesn't have a link to what is
B = F / [1 - (I /T)] equal to,
or rather what variables are I and T refering to in this equivalent of an equation for:

checking additional links from Harvard
https://hbr.org/2014/07/a-quick-guide-to-breakeven-analysis
it doesn't load on my end but I don't think that they can break the military code...
what is the I and T in the break-even point equation for?

The tablet device broke and stopped functioning, more in the sense that the break-even point was the point at which the device breaks down.
It managed to restart, but only after using an external power supply.
It refused to start with the usual regular power input.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+the+I+and+T+in+the+break-even+point+equation+for%3F&oq=what+is+the+I+and+T+in+the+break-even+point+equation+for%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.860j0j4&client=tablet-android-cellon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/businessplan/a/breakeven.htm
has
BEP = Fixed Costs / ( Unit Selling Price - Variable Costs )

device stopped working again, 4th time
http://www.myaccountingcourse.com/financialratios/break-even-point
has
Break Even Points in Units = Fixed Costs / ( Sales Price per Unit - Variable Cost per Unit )
and this, while searching for a link that was copied with another equation which is:
BEP = Fixed Costs / ( Unit Selling Price - Variable Costs )

device stopped working again, 5th time

Even the history file is mixed up, so, it's not possible to retrieve the missing link yet.

http://articles.bplans.com/break-even-analysis/
this link and other links have pop-ups at this exact (critical) time and point causing diversion.

http://www.accountingcoach.com/break-even-point/explanation
http://www.accountingcoach.com/break-even-point/explanation/2
(also refused to paste, will probably lock the device again)

https://www.business-case-analysis.com/break-even-analysis.html
google chrome is not responding
Wait | Report | Close
has
i = total fixed cost for range
in relation to
semi-variable cost for the range sv log "i" (yeah, not logi, this is the "i" value in total fixed cost for range as indexed relation to "sv", probably a semi-variable cost variable. But hey, if I was to ask or investigate, what would I find.?.)

+ trusted source for info or what not

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2016-02-22 01:57:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Janna Shihari wrote:

You think that macro is a static discipline, while in fact is not. You do not like the models you are taught? Make better ones!

Actually, several people have, in particular the the one named in my signature tried it...and gave up. He and Keynes were contemporaries basically working on different theories of the business cycle and Keynes published first (The General Theory) and Hayek never did publish his work. Many who have read Hayek and studied his works have concluded that Hayek felt that a single unified theory of the business cycle would be...well intractable.

Another example of the problem with macro economics is the work of Edward Leamer who has noted that of the recessions since the end of WWII about all but 2 were as a result of a real estate. Or more accurately they were preceded by a decline in the real estate market, then a decline in the consumer durable market, followed by a decline in the consumer non-durables...then a decline in business expenditures on software and other short term expenditures and finishing with long term business expenditures (plant and equipment). That is the business cycle is actually a consumer spending cycle. Which completely makes sense when one considers that Personal Consumption Expenditures make up about 65-70% of GDP (at least in the U.S.). But macro-economists continue to ignore this...even after the Great Recession.

Macro-economists ignore the effects of moral hazard on the economy as well, which is astonishing considering the Great Recession. What does "too big to fail" imply? What does the "implicit" backing of the government for Fannie and Freddie imply? Any potential moral hazard problem? What about deposit insurance? Any moral hazard problem with insurance? Yes?

All of the problems with the Great Recession were MICRO economic problems, mostly relating back to incentive problems, yet every asshat in the debate were talking about interest rates, stimulus spending, and other irrelevant bullshit.

Macro economics is nonsense. Mental masturbation. Useless. It was all micro economics, pretty much perverse incentives across the board that lead people to take on way, way too much risk. And the response was...to guarantee/bail out everything which merely kicks the can down the road meaning yet another similar crisis, but probably even bigger and worse.

So it isn't about making better macro models. It is about ignoring that stupid crap and looking at what the real problem is. To paraphrase the Clinton (Bill, not Hillary) campaign slogan, "It's the incentives stupid".

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#31 - 2016-02-22 19:13:44 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Janna Shihari wrote:

Actually, several people have, in particular the the one named in my signature tried it...and gave up. He and Keynes were contemporaries basically working on different theories of the business cycle and Keynes published first (The General Theory) and Hayek never did publish his work. Many who have read Hayek and studied his works have concluded that Hayek felt that a single unified theory of the business cycle would be...well intractable.

Another example of the problem with macro economics is the work of Edward Leamer who has noted that of the recessions since the end of WWII about all but 2 were as a result of a real estate. Or more accurately they were preceded by a decline in the real estate market, then a decline in the consumer durable market, followed by a decline in the consumer non-durables...then a decline in business expenditures on software and other short term expenditures and finishing with long term business expenditures (plant and equipment). That is the business cycle is actually a consumer spending cycle. Which completely makes sense when one considers that Personal Consumption Expenditures make up about 65-70% of GDP (at least in the U.S.). But macro-economists continue to ignore this...even after the Great Recession.

Macro-economists ignore the effects of moral hazard on the economy as well, which is astonishing considering the Great Recession. What does "too big to fail" imply? What does the "implicit" backing of the government for Fannie and Freddie imply? Any potential moral hazard problem? What about deposit insurance? Any moral hazard problem with insurance? Yes?

All of the problems with the Great Recession were MICRO economic problems, mostly relating back to incentive problems, yet every asshat in the debate were talking about interest rates, stimulus spending, and other irrelevant bullshit.

Macro economics is nonsense. Mental masturbation. Useless. It was all micro economics, pretty much perverse incentives across the board that lead people to take on way, way too much risk. And the response was...to guarantee/bail out everything which merely kicks the can down the road meaning yet another similar crisis, but probably even bigger and worse.

So it isn't about making better macro models. It is about ignoring that stupid crap and looking at what the real problem is. To paraphrase the Clinton (Bill, not Hillary) campaign slogan, "It's the incentives stupid".

I do not want to insult you, but I will be direct and short and will not demonstrate what I am going to say. I am sorry, but it will be on you.

Macro economics and micro economics are two different disciplines for a reason. They both work within their limits. Models have limits which are being extended both at the macro and at the micro level.

Economics is a science with more future than past. Do not let yourself be fooled by your, and our, lack of knowledge.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2016-02-23 01:14:20 UTC
Janna Shihari wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Janna Shihari wrote:

I do not want to insult you, but I will be direct and short and will not demonstrate what I am going to say. I am sorry, but it will be on you.

Macro economics and micro economics are two different disciplines for a reason. They both work within their limits. Models have limits which are being extended both at the macro and at the micro level.

Economics is a science with more future than past. Do not let yourself be fooled by your, and our, lack of knowledge.

It is precisely our lack of knowledge when it comes to macro that makes it such a problem.

And I'll note you have precisely zero substantial response to my points about why macro is so horrible.

Macro economics, basically, forgets it is a field about human behavior/choices. Change things like taxes, interest rates, regulations, and you change people's behavior/choices. But macro ignores these things almost entirely.

And macro economics is a "separate" field simply because Keynes wrote a book (one of his worst, that is compared to his other writings it is muddled and confused) on the business cycle thus creating a separation where prior to that none really existed.

Adunh Slavy
#33 - 2016-02-23 03:35:34 UTC
Janna Shihari wrote:

Must be one of the most elaborate appeals to sophistry I've seen on Eve forums.

Excrement, you are full of it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Adunh Slavy
#34 - 2016-02-23 03:39:06 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

It is precisely our lack of knowledge when it comes to macro that makes it such a problem.

And I'll note you have precisely zero substantial response to my points about why macro is so horrible.

Macro economics, basically, forgets it is a field about human behavior/choices. Change things like taxes, interest rates, regulations, and you change people's behavior/choices. But macro ignores these things almost entirely.

And macro economics is a "separate" field simply because Keynes wrote a book (one of his worst, that is compared to his other writings it is muddled and confused) on the business cycle thus creating a separation where prior to that none really existed.

The trouble with macro-economics is not the lack of knowledge. We know all we need to know and can know. The problem is attempting to make it a positivist discipline. Mises has said as much.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2016-02-23 05:51:20 UTC
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

The trouble with macro-economics is not the lack of knowledge. We know all we need to know and can know. The problem is attempting to make it a positivist discipline. Mises has said as much.

While I applaud your mentioning of Mises, my point would be better expressed that while we have learn quite a bit, we still do not know much about the business cycle and it is our hubris that has led us astray.

I think that while letting some banks like Bear Sterns, Lehmann Brothers and a few others fail would have been bad, their failure would have brought market discipline back into the banking sector meaning that when we did recover we'd be far, far better off.

We should be promoting prudence in banking systems, not systemic risk. Deposit insurance, agencies like Fanny and Freddie, and the notion of "too big to fail" are the real root of the problem. But, in the end we'll never get rid of deposit insurance, Fannie and Freddie went from implicit government backing to explicit government backing, and too big to fail is indeed alive and well...so all the problems that lead up to the last crisis are still in place and if anything made even bigger than before. No amount of stimulus or tinkering with the interest rate will solve the problem.

Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#36 - 2016-02-24 19:10:21 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:

While I applaud your mentioning of Mises, my point would be better expressed that while we have learn quite a bit, we still do not know much about the business cycle and it is our hubris that has led us astray.

I think that while letting some banks like Bear Sterns, Lehmann Brothers and a few others fail would have been bad, their failure would have brought market discipline back into the banking sector meaning that when we did recover we'd be far, far better off.

We should be promoting prudence in banking systems, not systemic risk. Deposit insurance, agencies like Fanny and Freddie, and the notion of "too big to fail" are the real root of the problem. But, in the end we'll never get rid of deposit insurance, Fannie and Freddie went from implicit government backing to explicit government backing, and too big to fail is indeed alive and well...so all the problems that lead up to the last crisis are still in place and if anything made even bigger than before. No amount of stimulus or tinkering with the interest rate will solve the problem.

Although I agree that our, at least my, knowledge of the business cycle is far from ideal, I must also say we know quite a bit.

Same goes for how to use macroeconomics, which is not a surrogate of micro, but a totally different way of looking at the economy, "it is the aggregate level, idiot!".

Also, there will hopefully be financial institutions which will be too big to fail. That because our system to progress needs leverage. That, because we must assume that more productivity will translate in debts repayments and the furthering of the debt cycle. It seems unquestioned that the financial leverage is a factor of growth. It also appear unquestionable that interventions on failures must be made and monitoring of the leverage done.

This because of microeconomics arguments.

See... Macro and micro are two different ways. Cannot have a complete picture without the other.

Unfortunately I do not have time to write more and prove to some that mine is not sophistry (nice word), but I hope to have sketched the picture FYI.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2016-02-24 21:17:22 UTC
The problem is, is that aggregation hides information.

As for leverage, removing too big to fail does not remove leverage. Further, too big to fail creates a significant moral hazard problem. Do we want a banking system that takes on excessive risk? I would argue no. And this carries over to the "macro" side in that too much risk on a systemic basis will eventually blow up everyone's face and cause real (vs. nominal) economic contraction. I once heard the phrase there are macro economic effects/consequences, but only micro economic solutions.

To be perfectly honest, I think there needs to be another round of microfoundations for macro. In fact, I think it should be an ongoing process.

Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#38 - 2016-02-26 20:38:53 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
The problem is, is that aggregation hides information.

And reveals different information.

Teckos Pech wrote:
As for leverage, removing too big to fail does not remove leverage.

Economy of scale.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Further, too big to fail creates a significant moral hazard problem.

I agree, then your final point is a good provocation in this direction.

Teckos Pech wrote:
Do we want a banking system that takes on excessive risk? I would argue no.

It all relies in the quality of risk measurement and the technology of finance, that must be bettered.

Teckos Pech wrote:
And this carries over to the "macro" side in that too much risk on a systemic basis will eventually blow up everyone's face and cause real (vs. nominal) economic contraction. I once heard the phrase there are macro economic effects/consequences, but only micro economic solutions.

Financial contracts are a service, thus a good. Contractions in their markets are not nominal shocks, but real ones.
Janna Shihari
Isk Happens
#39 - 2016-02-26 20:53:37 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I think there needs to be another round of microfoundations for macro. In fact, I think it should be an ongoing process.

That would be nice to have, along a quantum determined relativity theory, or something like that. Meaning that it would be great, work on it is ongoing and we already have interesting stuff to work with.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#40 - 2016-02-27 19:26:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Janna Shihari wrote:

And reveals different information.

Yes, but with many economic aggregates you cannot dis-aggregate the data. So it is the hidden information that can bite you in the posterior. Also, economic aggregates are man made--i.e. it is not clear that they in fact have any actual economic significance. Remember the economy is of human action, but not of human design.

Janna Shihari wrote:

Economy of scale.

There are also diseconomies of scale as one gets bigger, and too big to fail comes with a moral hazard problem. When you have enough too big to fail then you have systemic risk--i.e. it all blows up at once.

Janna Shihari wrote:

I agree, then your final point is a good provocation in this direction.

And factor in things like adverse selection as well. Was there a concerted push in the U.S. for home ownership? I'd say yes. I'd also say it was bi-partisan (so lets try not to drag in the Right-Left/Democrat-Conservative thing).

For example, it used to be that to buy a home you had to have a 20% down payment. This brought stability to the housing market and to the securitized mortgage markets. Home owners had "skin in the game"--i.e. housing prices would have to fall substantially before a home owner would "walk away". The shift to 10%, 5%, 0% and no-doc loans (i.e. sub prime loans) brought systemic instability to the housing and securtized mortgage market. And everything looked fine...why? Because mortgage default rates go down in an up market. Rising housing prices also mean lower default rates. But it also meant that borrowers who are higher risk will also be taking out loans as well. And even borrowers who would normally be good risk may take on more risk (i.e. a bigger house with a variable rate, which is fine if prices are going up, but when they aren't.....).

And to make markets Fannie and Freddie had to securtize sub prime loans as well. And securitizing meant that Fannie or Freddie had to buy back the non-performing loans. This also can create systemic risk which is why Fannie and Freddie stuck to prime conforming loans--i.e. loans that satisfied their requirements and had a 20% down payment. In this situation the securitization market worked fine. But lowering standards basically introduces more and more risk into the system.

These are all micro economic phenomena. All of them. And they involve both nominal and real assets.

Janna Shihari wrote:

It all relies in the quality of risk measurement and the technology of finance, that must be bettered.

That is another problem as well. The whole issue of fat tailed events. Systemic risk, IMO, brings in fat tailed events--i.e. where everything blows up in your face at once and because of leverage the effect is economy wide.

For example, the push for housing via lower lending standards and loose monetary policy combined with mortgage securitization basically gave us systemic risk and a fat tailed event.

Janna Shihari wrote:

Financial contracts are a service, thus a good. Contractions in their markets are not nominal shocks, but real ones.

That is an interesting view but not the standard one, IMO. Lots of people see finance as a nominal issue and thus are puzzled by how it impacted the real economy. To me it is where the nominal meets the real. Financial instruments might be nominal, but they are also ways of putting real goods into the economy. In the case of the financial crisis it was a way to get more housing. Alot more housing. And while housing is good, it is not a productive asset (like a factory or the like). You do not invest in a house and get more cars, refrigerators, computers, or lathes. They do not increase long term employment much either or if they do it is indirect and rather a poor mechanism for doing so (i.e. some home owners might hire a contractor whereas others will fall into the do-it-yourself category). So, we had a huge mal-investment into housing...which means we invested less in productive capital. Meaning our future growth rates will be lower, employment in housing construction will be lower for years given the durable nature of housing and the large stock we currently have.

And yet a substantial number of macro economists argued vehemently for stimulus spending. But stimulus spending cannot unwind our over-investment in housing. Switching jobs is not instantaneous either so construction workers in housing likely face a long spell of unemployment or switching career paths and taking a permanent hit to their income stream.

And quite a bit of the stimulus spending was bone headed. For example, some of it went to high level health care/medical research. How much unemployment do you think there is in that field? Probably damn little, so all that spending would do is drive up wages and benefits. That increase in costs for employers might have exactly the opposite effect of reducing employment elsewhere for little to no gain and maybe even a loss.

The stimulus spending was bad economic policy. In fact, I'll go even further, we do not have bad economic policy by accident, we have it on purpose.

And look, all these things I've written about...not one will be found anywhere in a standard macro model.

There may be macro economic events, but there are only micro economic solutions, IMO.

Previous page123Next page