These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Information about ranges in eve online

Author
El Colombiano
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-02-20 06:02:19 UTC
Hola,

I was wondering if there is a page somewhere with information about all kind off ranges in Eve Online. Specially now with the grid expansion from 250 km to 8000 km to accommodate citadels.

For example if I am (now with the grid expansion) 1000 km from a gate I can see ships at the gate but I cannot bookmark their location but I can bookmark the gate's location. So there is obviously a restriction regarding ranges to be able to lets say bookmark a ships location. Another example is that I have to be within 150 km to be able to "look at" an object in my grid. Or the fact that I need to be within 250 of an object to be able to get a "lock" on it. How about how close do I need to be to a ship to be able to warp to it? There are so many ranges in the game to consider but I have not been able to find this information all in one place.

Could you please point me to the right location where I can find this information or maybe post it here?

Muchas gracias,

El Colombiano
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#2 - 2016-02-20 06:33:37 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
El Colombiano wrote:
Hola,

I was wondering if there is a page somewhere with information about all kind off ranges in Eve Online. Specially now with the grid expansion from 250 km to 8000 km to accommodate citadels.

For example if I am (now with the grid expansion) 1000 km from a gate I can see ships at the gate but I cannot bookmark their location but I can bookmark the gate's location. So there is obviously a restriction regarding ranges to be able to lets say bookmark a ships location. Another example is that I have to be within 150 km to be able to "look at" an object in my grid. Or the fact that I need to be within 250 of an object to be able to get a "lock" on it. How about how close do I need to be to a ship to be able to warp to it? There are so many ranges in the game to consider but I have not been able to find this information all in one place.

Could you please point me to the right location where I can find this information or maybe post it here?

Muchas gracias,

El Colombiano

Ships can't be bookmarked. Gates, stations, wrecks, various other objects, but not ships. Bookmarking isn't really range limited. Gates and the like can be bookmarked from anywhere in the system. Smaller objects, you'll need to be on grid.

Look range limit is 100km with the old camera and 2000km with the new camera, from what I can tell.

250km is the targeting ceiling, but that's supposed to be going up.

You have to be at least 150km away from something to warp to it, and it has to be warpable (so not some arbitrary ship, for instance).

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#3 - 2016-02-20 06:37:43 UTC
you can bookmark:
- your own position
- any stationary objects, like structures, wrecks and most deployables
- things you scan down with probes

you can not bookmark the location of other player ships unless you combat probe them down

lore wise you can only warp to large objects like celestials or stations or locations you visited before, so that you could record the gravity wells of it, a bookmark is exactly that.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#4 - 2016-02-20 06:42:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
I don't know all of your answers, but I can tell you that the inability to warp to a player or bookmark their location is not an issue of range. Once you are on grid with another player, you effectively need to warp to some object they are close to, approach them, micro jump drive to them, or drop combat probes. Not that this is a suggestion in any way, but combat probes are the only way to bookmark a player ship. So combat probes are dropped and used before getting on grid.

Ships locking range is a matter of skills, the ship's default locking range, and mods.
Minimum distance to warp is 150km. So the warp to 100 option always puts your ship too close to warp to the selected object. This is why tactical bookmarks should always be more than 150km from the celestial, I prefer 700-1200km off plane.

There does seem to be a bug with warp-to so even though an object has to be 150km to select warp-to, one can then warp to 100, resulting in a 50km, or so, warp. Maybe it's not a bug but a feature I just learned about recently.

Most of the ranges are not set-in stone, so don't worry about them. For example, the new grid size 8000km is the MINIMUM grid size. Every object in a grid increases its size, or nearly every object. Just as the old grid size of 250 was also a minimum size. Lots of grids were much bigger. I've got some insta-undocks that are 15000km from station and still on grid. So the grid is about 30000km+.

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/0912/gridfumanual2.pdf

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

El Colombiano
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-02-20 08:56:00 UTC
Thanks for the info up until now guys! Really appreciated!

Information about only being able to bookmark a ship's location when I probe it down is for example very essential.

Now I know for example that to be able to warp to a ship's "gate scout spot" (When I spot them cloacked at my own gate spot outside warpto range), I would have to first probe them down making it obvious to an experienced and alert player watching his/her DScan that they are being probed.

This means that if that player succesfully detects my probing that he/she will be able to cloack or leave the spot in time making it impossible for me to bookmark that player's "gate scout spot".

This also means that I can be uncloacked at one of my "gate scout spots" and not have to worry that someone also uncloacked at the gate at lets say 500 km (outside of warpto range), will be able to compromise my safe spot immidiately without having to probe me down first.

All these deductions from that one piece of information namely:
"you can not bookmark the location of other player ships unless you combat probe them down"
Thanks for that one Bienator II !!

Keep the information about other kind of ranges/distances coming in so that I can make more deductions ;-p

Iria Ahrens, thanks for the PDF link! Very handy. I like the header in the PDF ;-p :

"This Document is classified as Hurf-Blurf. If you are not a
member or GARPA, a Goonswarm Director or a qualified Fleet
Commander, reading this document will cause your balls to shrivel
up and fall off, get cancer and/or AIDS."

The cancer part... Been there, conquered, clean and as far as I'm concerned immune :-)

No seriously, I would like to put all these range/distance information in one place for everyone, specially new players, to find.

Thanks for the info up until now!

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#6 - 2016-02-20 10:54:13 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
El Colombiano wrote:
Hola,

Muchas gracias,

El Colombiano

You never could bookmark a ship's position. Not before the grid change, not after. That would make warping on grid effortlessly.

Your lock range is fixed by:

Ships default lock range + your skills.The 250 is currently a ceiling still in place from the old grid shapes (radius of 250 by default). They will likely bump that up soon.

For warping, also, has always been 151 km

All these ranges and reasons behind them are easily found, by playing the game / experience. So yeah, you can ask it or you can try it

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#7 - 2016-02-20 11:00:12 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Iria Ahrens wrote:

There does seem to be a bug with warp-to so even though an object has to be 150km to select warp-to, one can then warp to 100, resulting in a 50km, or so, warp. Maybe it's not a bug but a feature I just learned about recently.

Intended, not a bug.

Why would it be a bug, it's 2 different things you are comparing.

Thing 1:

Game checks if you are at least 150 km from your destination, if yes then you can warp.

Thing 2:

You tell your warp computer warp you to a certain distance of your destination.

It has been in EVE for as long as I play and it is actually pretty usefull if used right.

Let me give you a great example on when I like to use that function:

As an ECM pilot, I can bounce in and out of a fight (yellow box = GTFO with the Griffin) to a fleet-mate (usually alt) in a close by safe. And then I can just warp to range on the FC or anybody I know will make me land within my jammer range but likely outside their weapon ranges.

I also like to use it on a rolling fleet bookmark when we have a break.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#8 - 2016-02-20 14:47:37 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

It has been in EVE for as long as I play and it is actually pretty usefull if used right.

Thank you. A few days ago was the first time I used it and noticed it. I took my newbie friend to Jita because when I was new seeing all those ships undocking was very cool. Then I showed him how to make an insta-undock. But because he was impatient and we were BSing I dropped my bookmark at a little less than 200km without thinking about it. Then when I tested the undock, it defaults to warp to 100, it dropped me about 70km from station. Which I didn't notice that until my friend, who dropped his insta at less than 150 found out it wouldn't work and I realized I couldn't warp back to station.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.