These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Any word about the old turret icons? (Now with the answer)

First post
Author
FuzzyLogik360
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#81 - 2011-09-15 16:56:35 UTC
So, lets say I'm in a lift and want to get to the 3876 th floor of a very tall skyscraper, but all the buttons are labelled in Roman numerals.

So which one of these would you pick?

MMMCDLVI
MMMDCCCLXXVI
MMCCCLVI
MMMCMLXVII
MMMCLXXXIX
MMMMDLXXXVI

So which one did you press?

hmm..

Roman numerals aren't bad to those that know them, but the decimal system is instantly more readable.

To all those who say the new icons are better, because they are "exact" depictions of the turrets they represent... well you clearly have no concept of FUNCTIONALITY.

Visual accuracy does not necessarily mean better function. The critical "function" of an "icon" is to be instantly recognisable, even to the novice user. The analogy here would the skull & cross-bones on a bottle of acid for instance --> Very clear to all.

Bring back the old icons. They did their job exceptionally well. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Hiram Alexander
State Reprisal
#82 - 2011-09-15 16:57:05 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
Guys, we're reverting the icons to the way they were before we introduced the new turrets.

We hoped that the rendered previews would turn out more clearly, but it's evident that usability suffered, and as a result, we're changing them back.

I can't comment exactly on when the change will go out, but it's in the pipe. They look right on dev machines with the latest internal build, at least.

Fantastic news, thank you!

Now, I just hope that this also includes Tractor Beams; magnets were the perfect 'icon', for me at least...
Mag's
Azn Empire
#83 - 2011-09-15 17:11:03 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:
Guys, we're reverting the icons to the way they were before we introduced the new turrets.

We hoped that the rendered previews would turn out more clearly, but it's evident that usability suffered, and as a result, we're changing them back.

I can't comment exactly on when the change will go out, but it's in the pipe. They look right on dev machines with the latest internal build, at least.
Well I have to say this reply amazed me immensely.
Thanks for your post, the up coming change and understanding of this issue.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#84 - 2011-09-15 17:14:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyzlaki
My apologies for the tone of my previous posts. After reading four pages of what seemed like an incredibly inane argument about a trivial matter, I was quite exasperated. Thank you for getting me up to speed on the topic of icons and their importance to EVE's overall usability. I had never given it so much as a thought prior to stumbling upon this topic. I was unaware that icons are such a popular issue, and feel that today the desired outcome of the majority has been recognized and will be implemented to the benefit of all. Thanks to CCP t0rfifrans and the rest of the staff involved with the change.
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#85 - 2011-09-15 17:24:54 UTC
Someone broke my sarcometer ((((((((

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Gnulpie
Sihars Little Industries
#86 - 2011-09-15 17:28:17 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Yaaaaaaaaaaay

Great move!
oematoema
The Muppet Show
#87 - 2011-09-15 17:38:46 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

You, sir, are my hero for today! And probably tomorrow too!

Statement on behalf of CCP from Arnar Hrafn Gylfason, Senior Producer for EVE Online. Good communication and trust between CCP and the EVE community has always been a fundamental priority for CCP and will continue to be so.

Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#88 - 2011-09-15 17:53:55 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Excellent,

Taste is in the eye of the beholder but differences in usabilty really need to address problems of large minorities.

If say, 30% of the population don't like the looks of new artwork, things really don't need to be prioritized to fit their desires.

However, if 30% of the user population really had difficulty quickly disntguishing the new icons and found the game play taking more squinting and clicking because of it a change really needs to be a priority . (unless a percentage of similar magnitude struggled with the old ones and had the struggle removed with the new ones)

I wear recently prescribed glasses but that doesn't mean they correct perfectly and especially doesn't me they can quickly refocus on differen parts of the screen. The glasses work fine for a book held at a consitent distance with my eyes gradually training along... jumping from one corner to the other corner of large screens or mutiple monitors requires a flexibilty in focus that diminishes around the time people hit 40 .

Mona X
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#89 - 2011-09-15 21:26:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Mona X
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Great news.
Now lets focus on real issue. What about old cyno effect?

Diomedes Calypso wrote:

If say, 30% of the population don't like the looks of new artwork, things really don't need to be prioritized to fit their desires.

Thats about 120% of people using them. :P

I need new signature.

Nyio
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2011-09-15 21:31:44 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

I'll be darned..
Now can we keep this thread and just change the title to: "We want to keep the new turret icons!" ?

No but seriously, I guess it's the best solution for now seeing how many having trouble with them.
I for one wouldn't mind some sort of facelift though, new flashy icons! Smile
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#91 - 2011-09-19 14:55:25 UTC
Glad to read the new icons are not up to CCP's standards. Still makes me wonder how those new ic... pictures of turrets got in.

No-one (art director) noticed they fell away on a black (space) background and the way they where rotated gave less information (visual) then the old icons did? Not to mention how fugly they looked with all the jagged edges.

Oh well, not my money or time wasted. Big smile
FadeIN Fr0St
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2011-09-19 15:33:12 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
You're telling me you'd rather go back to the old, lower quality icons, because you don't have the ability to learn how to distinguish between different things. What did you do when you originally started playing and had no idea what any of these icons meant?

Case closed, /thread.

This

"All hail Wang ... the little fella in Command. When 'trouble' starts to spread, I'm sure he will rise to the occasion."

Azahni Vah'nos (Best reply ever)

Vyktor Abyss
The Abyss Corporation
#93 - 2011-09-19 15:44:01 UTC
I'm starting to get used to them, but the old ones were certainly clearer.

One small question; why can't you design choice into things like this?
For example a checkbox in settings which determines use of new or old icons.

Same goes for new/old hangar view etc etc
Mendolus
Aurelius Federation
#94 - 2011-09-19 15:50:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Mendolus
When I was doing some private forums layout work, I took a bunch of normal icons from the game that are still in use even now, like the ones for corporation, alliance, fittings window, courier packages, etc.

I used these icons to actually depict each forum section, i.e. the Market section was the Market icon from the game, the Ship Fitting section, was the Fitting icon, and the Logistics section was a Courier package, etc. you get the idea?

Anyways, some guy comes to me, and he is very VERY distraught, he has no idea what any of the sections mean because there are no big titles in bold text to tell him (they DID have labels, but it was bolded 10pt font)

When I brought it to his attention that the icons were literally taken from the game and meant on the forums exactly what they meant in the game, he got even more confused. "What do you mean they are the same as the game?" he would ask me. I told him, well... if you see a fitting icon, that is the fittings section of the forum where people post ship fittings.

His response was, "That doesn't make any sense at all!"

The best part? He was NOT trolling me, he was dead serious... Oops

So with all you guys arguing over form and function of the icons in the game, I have to say, I understand where Tippia is coming from, there are people out there who didn't even get the icons that already existed, let alone new more intricate ones.

Some people just seriously, are slow. Others, like myself, prefer something that is easy on the eyes if I have to look at it a hundred times a week, I would prefer a silly cartoon icon of a magnet with squiggly lines than some dense intricate picture that strains my eyes.

...clearly the Ishukone Watch Scorpion is the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse, i.e. the Brown Rider, otherwise known as Poopie.

Takamori Maruyama
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#95 - 2011-09-19 15:51:50 UTC
The only thing that I really miss in a UI is the ability to keybind the ammo types with 1,2,3,4
Make ammo switching more comfortable.

Loud and clear...

Di Mulle
#96 - 2011-09-19 16:16:09 UTC
Xander Riggs wrote:
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
I start to get the feeling that Xander photoshopped these images for us from the actual models and now he doesn't want them to get trashed. Clear CCP alt spotted. Tinhat on. There is no spoon.

Nah, I just don't get my **** tied in a knot every time anything changes.

I think you should try eat soup with the fork. After all, that stuff hasn't seen any changes in a what, thousands of years ? Change is needed for too long already.
<<Insert some waste of screen space here>>
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#97 - 2011-10-20 18:59:57 UTC
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Any update about the time frame?

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Mashie Saldana
Jamgu Initiatives
#98 - 2011-10-20 19:06:20 UTC
Grey Stormshadow wrote:
CCP t0rfifrans wrote:

Any update about the time frame?

Soon™
Grey Stormshadow
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2011-10-20 19:13:59 UTC
Mashie Saldana wrote:

Soon™

Naa I believe they have it ready as Torfi said... Just poking a little here in case someone has forgotten to add the package for deployment.

Get classic forum style - custom videos to captains quarters screen

Play with the best - die like the rest

Barakkus
#100 - 2011-10-20 19:51:04 UTC
I have recently dealt with this same thing at work.

I created some speed buttons, put some generic icons on them that made the point of what the function of those buttons actually are. Someone decided to let the girl that likes to play with photoshop make up her own icons for those buttons. Now no one knows what the **** any of the buttons actually do because she tried to make them super detailed pictures that you just sort of scratch your head looking at them and say "huh?"

So now I'm stuck with these gawdy, oversized speed buttons, with icons that don't tell the user one tiny little thing about what their actual function is.

This always happens, and all the people that keep thinking this is a good idea come back and say, ok what does THAT button do again?

You would think they would stop making these stupid ass icons and forcing me to use them eventually...

http://youtu.be/yytbDZrw1jc