These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Always able to run? And no Concord? Unknowable missions?

First post
Author
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#21 - 2016-02-15 17:55:40 UTC
Quote:
Sounds like you've mistaken an off the cuff observation for balance tested code. It's an easy mistake to make when being snide online is more important to you than honest contributions.

Answer the question about your PVP experience, please.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
#22 - 2016-02-15 17:56:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
When I started playing Eve I thought the same as the OP, still have a feeling that these modules are just too final, which is what I like about Elite Dangerous and the system suggested for Star Citizen, you can flee. Eve nope you are locked in unless you clear the attacker with the point.

I would like points to have the same chance percentage as ECM, would make the game more interesting for the prey, but of course most people who play this game don't care about their challenge they just want sure and easy kills so they would go up the wall at this suggestion.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2016-02-15 17:57:51 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
How does this apply to haulers? Get caught, run away and fly a different route.

Pretty much. Why do you want to fight haulers?

Quote:
Miners? Just try another belt/another system.
Ratters? Just try another anomaly.

And get followed by the pirate.

Quote:
What about "Pirates" - people who are out and about harassing Ratters and Miners? They'd not risk anything doing so. Attack someone and either kill him or run away.

And get nothing.

New net? An exciting encounter. More frequently happening. More people willing to risk more in more encounters of a greater variety.

Quote:
If you get pointed and killed, it's almost always because you messed up somewhere. It's all about choices.

I agree. I just find it very dull. Gate camps are boring game play.
Black Pedro
Mine.
#24 - 2016-02-15 18:00:00 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
Black Pedro wrote:
Your undocking is consent to fight.

And you'd still have it. You just can't force it on me. You're free to attack me. If I hide in a station, I get nothing.

In fact, I'm much more willing to risk leaving as I know I can keep my ship and flee. For my lesser risk, I'm expecting lesser, diwn to no reward. You own space unless I want to fight you for it.

You already have play like this on an alliance scale. Why not play like that on a small scale?

You can be immune from other players as soon as agree to remove rewards from your PvE. You do not get to gain advatage in our shared economy while immune from me and the rest of New Eden.

Pro-tip: if you hate the fact other players can affect your gameplay, your Eve subscription allows you access to the test server, Sisi. It is actually against the rules for other players to explode you there against your will. Please, feel free to run missions there to your heart's content, safe from the risk of non-consensual PvP.

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2016-02-15 18:02:07 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
well, i guess, it's safe to assume that CCP will never hire you.

Quite. I noted above I'd get nothing but flak for even opening my mouth. The community isn;t interested in new ideas or alternate approaches.

Quote:
If your "feature" and "brilliant ideas" are not about more ship explosions, then sorry, your "game design" is not for EVE...

I was anticipating more exciting encounters. I can see the only thing you value is one sided fights you win completely.

"It is not enough Nat wins. Others must lose."

Quote:
based on your kb, well, we can see where you are coming from. exploding is normal dude, suck it up.

I don't hunt. It's too dull.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#26 - 2016-02-15 18:02:28 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:

I agree. I just find it very dull. Gate camps are boring game play.

lol, let's be hones here, dull/boring? how high was your bp when campers caught you?

Just Add Water

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2016-02-15 18:03:09 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Maybe you should give us some background on your experience in Eve PvP, OP. I suspect it is vanishingly little, and your opinions are predicated on a general lack of knowledge.

Killboards are public. You can look it up like everyone else.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2016-02-15 18:05:21 UTC
Black Pedro wrote:
You can be immune from other players as soon as agree to remove rewards from your PvE.

A lot of this would take a lot of rebalance. It is likely that everything would pay out a lot less.
Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#29 - 2016-02-15 18:06:56 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
It's odd to think about how much thought went into strategy and tactics; generally, the game is quite shallow overall.

That's why it exists for longer then you call yourself a game designer, people like shallow.

I agree about the NPC part though, but EVE Online is more about the PvP than the PvE. The good part about PvE being rather dull is that it more or less forces more (high-sec) missioners to go do some PvP instead, generating more PvP content.

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#30 - 2016-02-15 18:07:38 UTC
Why do I get the feeling i am playing a vastly different game than the OP? Look.... There's this teapot. It's sacred. We fight for the right to make pot noodles in it. The blues fight to not let others make pot noodles in the tea pot. It really is that simple. Scram, disrupt, doesn't matter. We fight because it's fun. We aren't alone either. A good many groups exist to fight for the fun of it.

As for the notion that preventing people from running is poor game design...

Yup... Every slow spell, ice beam, vine trap, stasis field, stun ray, ion disruptor, spike strip, deployable mine field, emp pulse, web spell, or any other method present in countless games, yup, all poor design...

Not buying that. There have been countless ways used to keep people in a fight. Just because you do not like it does not make it bad game design.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2016-02-15 18:07:55 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
lol, let's be hones here, dull/boring? how high was your bp when campers caught you?

Last night I lost 700m in a Nereus in low. Saw it coming, too.

Didn't even phase me. Less than 15% net worth. All earning ships still intact. Gave away more than that in the last month.

But let's continue to make it about me. It shows you can't defend your ideas when you resort to such.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#32 - 2016-02-15 18:07:56 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
well, i guess, it's safe to assume that CCP will never hire you.

Quite. I noted above I'd get nothing but flak for even opening my mouth. The community isn;t interested in new ideas or alternate approaches.

Quote:
If your "feature" and "brilliant ideas" are not about more ship explosions, then sorry, your "game design" is not for EVE...

I was anticipating more exciting encounters. I can see the only thing you value is one sided fights you win completely.

"It is not enough Nat wins. Others must lose."

Quote:
based on your kb, well, we can see where you are coming from. exploding is normal dude, suck it up.

I don't hunt. It's too dull.

yes, it's never enough that i only win, i want others to lose and cry and weep and make dumb ideas because of pain. but sadly, i don't even fly dps, and i don't gate camp, i protect the federation and democracy. i actually prefer ewar and logi.

we want change, but as i've said, change needs to be inclined to more ship explosions.

Just Add Water

Frostys Virpio
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#33 - 2016-02-15 18:08:24 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Maybe you should give us some background on your experience in Eve PvP, OP. I suspect it is vanishingly little, and your opinions are predicated on a general lack of knowledge.

I didn't expect what I found...
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#34 - 2016-02-15 18:08:42 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

I don't generally like judging people over killboard stats alone, if only because people commonly play more than one character.

Should I assume that your KB tells the full story of your experience, then?

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2016-02-15 18:10:25 UTC
Grauth Thorner wrote:

That's why it exists for longer then you call yourself a game designer, people like shallow.

Yes, yes they do.

Quote:
I agree about the NPC part though, but EVE Online is more about the PvP than the PvE. The good part about PvE being rather dull is that it more or less forces more (high-sec) missioners to go do some PvP instead, generating more PvP content.

I do see a lot of whining about getting people out of high... but yeah. It's the only long game, I suppose.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2016-02-15 18:12:22 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

It can't. It doesn't show my wins. I win by avoiding and escaping. Your precious metric for judging doesn't define me or my playstyle.

But you think it does. If I'm not exactly like you, I'm worthless. That attitude has done a lot of good in the world.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#37 - 2016-02-15 18:15:15 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

It can't. It doesn't show my wins. I win by avoiding and escaping. Your precious metric for judging doesn't define me or my playstyle.

But you think it does. If I'm not exactly like you, I'm worthless. That attitude has done a lot of good in the world.

Uh, I asked you to tell us about your experience.

You're the one that said to check your KB, making it your metric.

Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2016-02-15 18:16:12 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
We fight because it's fun.

I'm just exploring ideas intended to get you more fun.

Quote:
Every slow spell, ice beam, vine trap, stasis field, stun ray, ion disruptor, spike strip, deployable mine field, emp pulse, web spell, or any other method present in countless games, yup, all poor design...

Temporary. Points aren't.

The ECM style point above is a great idea. Taking out points completely isn't a proposal. It's a conversation. A start, not an end.

Quote:
Just because you do not like it does not make it bad game design.

It's not about what I like. It's about what you might like more.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2016-02-15 18:19:40 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Uh, I asked you to tell us about your experience.

You're the one that said to check your KB, making it your metric.

I am an explorer. 30m sp. I spend a lot of time dodging people in low. Been in null alliance. Solo'd sleepers. Run combat sites in low. Mined. Hauled.

Was that useful to you?
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#40 - 2016-02-15 18:20:42 UTC
Fa Xian wrote:

Temporary. Points aren't.

Points are very temporary. In fact, they have a fairly short duration - about 5 seconds, if I recall correctly. They must then be reapplied.

There are myriad ways to break an application, or prevent a reapplication, including pulling range, neuting them out, or using ECM (burst, standard, or drone), and, where applicable, session changing. You can also negate them through the use of warp core stabilizers.