These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[March] Damage Control Tiericide

First post First post First post
Author
Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#401 - 2016-02-15 01:24:32 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Masao Kurata wrote:
Explosions are fun. The absence of explosions is not fun.
I completely agree, which is why they should be given better mechanics to cause explosions opposing your own and a reasonable shot at winning the field. If not new active mechanics can be discussed reasonably, then more passive defense as in this post will give more time for more explosions to occur.

The existing mechanics work, they're just not being used, but that's incredibly off topic for this thread. More EHP just means we won't undock gank fleets. There is no point undocking if it is mathematically impossible to win.
Nitshe Razvedka
#402 - 2016-02-15 01:27:06 UTC
Never one to stir the pot, nor upset CODE (much).

Well done CCP in addressing the Ganker imbalance.

Fleecing carebears in hisec by Gankers is a profit driven enterprise. (If gankers raise the straw-man issue of AFK mining/hauling, allow these ships to fit more effective tgt breakers for AK pilots.)

Now we need a profit driven reason to Anti-Gank. LP's simular to FW is a good start.

IdeaI would like to hear other market/profit driven incentives to A-G, even from gankers, its all about the content creation. yes. Idea

Thieving pirates discuss INTEGRITY; Anarchist gankers give us LAWS; and Whoring merc's cry then blow off clients with INSULTS.

Up is down and down is up in the C&P Forum.

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#403 - 2016-02-15 01:31:12 UTC
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:
Now we need a profit driven reason to Anti-Gank. LP's simular to FW is a good start.

Sure. In return, please remove facpol since players will be given incentives to do their job.
Nitshe Razvedka
#404 - 2016-02-15 01:39:43 UTC
Masao Kurata wrote:
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:

Sure. In return, please remove facpol since players will be given incentives to do their job.

If you gave me the powers of facpol GAME-ON.Big smile

Thieving pirates discuss INTEGRITY; Anarchist gankers give us LAWS; and Whoring merc's cry then blow off clients with INSULTS.

Up is down and down is up in the C&P Forum.

Masao Kurata
Perkone
Caldari State
#405 - 2016-02-15 01:41:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Masao Kurata
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:
If you gave me the powers of facpol GAME-ON.Big smile

You mean spawning 20km from someone at any time and infinite respawning? No dice. No drone jamming for you either.

EDIT: But seriously, facpol don't do anything but prevent anything interesting happening, they should go. Should probably make a thread about that.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#406 - 2016-02-15 02:21:01 UTC
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:

Fleecing carebears in hisec by Gankers is a profit driven enterprise. (If gankers raise the straw-man issue of AFK mining/hauling, allow these ships to fit more effective tgt breakers for AK pilots.)

IdeaI would like to hear other market/profit driven incentives to A-G, even from gankers, its all about the content creation. yes. Idea

Well you'd think that anti-gankers would charge a fee for a freighter save, and anyone that doesn't pay doesn't get saved again (or possibly gets marked on a list to be ganked by A-G).

But that would require the A-G folks to be rational. The rational ones generally end up changing sides because the A-G community is so toxic at present.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

KickAss Tivianne
Lohengrin Legion
#407 - 2016-02-15 02:25:52 UTC
BoneyTooth Thompkins ISK-Chip wrote:
ISD Max Trix wrote:
I have once again remove post for being off topic. Please keep the discussion on the topic of the DCU changes, and the Hull Buffs.

Thanks for nuking the reply I had pending :(

Mike Azariah wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Now a quick note on suicide ganking and the impact that these changes will have.

We view ganking as one of many normal game systems that needs tweaking and balancing from time to time. Changes to the balance around ganking doesn't mean we have any intentions on removing it (if we wanted to do that, we easily could through direct methods).

In a lot of ways, keeping balance in this system is much like park rangers maintaining balance between wolf and elk populations. We keep an eye on how the whole ecosystem is developing and make tweaks as nessesary. Sometimes we might protect the corpses of dead elk from vultures so the wolves can feed in peace. Sometimes we might put some light body armor on the elk so that the wolves need to pick their targets more carefully. And I think I've officially taken this analogy too far.

You gankers are a clever bunch and we have no doubt that you'll adapt and do just fine. Our previous changes didn't kill ganking, these changes won't kill ganking and our future changes won't kill ganking either.

We're going to keep making changes that we believe benefit the game as a whole, which needs to remain healthy for both sides of this debate to thrive.

I think that's the problem that everyone on the ganking side of the equation is trying to trying to make the point on. Some of us understand that keeping a balance in the ganking scene is probably important. But this only looks at one facet of ganking (the gankers, rather than the freighters or the anit-gankers), it seems hamfisted and like it goes too far, and it doesn't play to our cleverness-- the only solution is bring more dudes.

Edit: If I were in your shoes, I would think that this isn't a good solution at all for keeping the balance between freighter ganking at all. All we need do is recruit a little harder, source a little more, fit a little more frequency and we're back to where we were before this patch dropped. Because the solution is bring more dudes.

Unless your only thought is that the effort required to gank (12-40 characters) isn't enough. Which I've already posted my thoughts on.

So, to extend your logic it would be best to remove most of the ehp for freighters so the solo catalyst pilot can have enjoyable gameplay? Yeah, I am putting words in your mouth and doing a strawman. Live with it. The DCU is redone and some balance had to be made to make up for the loss of the ehp it gave, y'all did read the reasoning for this change, right? Now we ALL know that it will be a passive boost and the freighters will be a bit tougher, especially the ones who foolishly use cargo expanders for all three lows.

Before one of you tells me that freighters are already pretty well invincible please peruse zkill and pick a freighter. Then get back to me.

Yes, ganking is a thing in the game but NO it does not have to be made easy and NO it does not have to drive freighter pilots from the game rather than run the Niarja or Uedama gauntlet. When all the elk are dead the wolves will begin to die out, too.

m

The discussion isn't very productive when you admittedly take an obtuse stance and tell me to deal with it. Most everyone in the game is okay with the DC (Not Drone Control Unit (DCU)) becoming less necessary, but freighters never experienced the benefits of the DC, so adding that bonus to them doesn't make sense to us. And that's our problem: while it introduces interesting fitting and play options to every ship and playstyle in the game, it doesn't really introduce anything interesting to our play style or our fitting options.

No one is telling you that freighters are invincible. Jump freighters, possible, but not freighters. Indeed, just go look at ZKill.

I think you, like other people, can't wrap your head around the fact that ganking isn't easy. I'm not talking about shooting a miner or f1ing on a freighter fleet, but the scouting, bumping, FCing, supplying, fitting, organizing. There are three ganking organizations in the game (MiniLuv, CODE., Russian Spectres), and the reason that ganking is so common is because each of those organizations has a core of members that dedicate 110% of their play time to ganking. I haven't been to nullsec to kill something in months, though it sounds nice.

We understand about over-fishing and elk are dead too. MiniLuv operated at a loss between September 1st and January 1st due to anti-gankers, wreck shooters and over-fishing. Ganking and big whales come in cycles.

Many line members of MiniLuv suggested a 30% Hull HP increase as opposed to 30% Hull Resist for freighters and jump freighters. It makes the effect more evenly distributed across fits and keeps JFs just slightly more in the 'we can kill you range' not that they aren't already next to impossible to kill.

I do agree with your other post, increasing HP does just increase the amount of people needed. You will have to send additional cats, or start upgrading people to Talos's. While maybe not a long term solutions, it does however that does raise the operational costs you have. As long as CCP does keep an eye on it and maybe looks to resolve the root cause, (Pregank), its a step in the right direction.

As far as running an operational loss. You should probably talk to your FCs and come up with a new plan to look at targets that actually have stuff in them. Instead of just blowing up empty freighter just because your group claims the freighter is in as you say, "your space" and that they did not observe "your" laws.

BoneyTooth Thompkins ISK-Chip
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#408 - 2016-02-15 02:26:00 UTC
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:

Most organized ganking groups (MiniLuv, CODE., Russians) gank for fun, not profit. MiniLuv operates purely as an ouroboros: we gank to generate revenue for MiniLuv so we can continue ganking. The most anyone is getting out of MiniLuv's profits are monthly PLEX to keep their accounts active. And these people get PLEX because they devote so much of their time to our organization that there is literally no time to go make money.

Nitshe Razvedka wrote:

Before you get to that part, there needs to be thoughtful and engaging gameplay between gankers and anti-gankers. At the moment, anti-gankers are a thorn in our side simply because we have the choice of ganking them or ganking freighters. This is in part due to their unlimited rules of engagement against ours, but our restriction of only shooting active aggressors. The added component of Factional Police means that, aside from ganking them, there cannot be any interesting interplay between ganking and anti-ganking because we always die, regardless of whether we kill the anti-gankers or not.

I am all for making ganking more interesting via adding incentives to people to engage in both sides of the gameplay, but as I discussed with several people in #TweetFleet, that can't happen until the Anti-Ganker->Ganker->Freighter asymmetrical gameplay becomes a little more symmetrical, which may or may result in good and engaging gameplay.

Also, I'm poised to say that smart anti-gankers make tons of money from stealing our freighter wrecks and stealing our gank ship wrecks. Otherwise, there wouldn't be career wreck thieves and career salvagers and career loot scoopers.
BoneyTooth Thompkins ISK-Chip
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#409 - 2016-02-15 02:34:12 UTC
KickAss Tivianne wrote:

I do agree with your other post, increasing HP does just increase the amount of people needed. You will have to send additional cats, or start upgrading people to Talos's. While maybe not a long term solutions, it does however that does raise the operational costs you have. As long as CCP does keep an eye on it and maybe looks to resolve the root cause, (Pregank), its a step in the right direction.

Hi friend. You should know I'm MiniLuv, and we're not really the in the business of ganking empty freighters (unless they're red). You're right that the change does increase the operational cost of ganking, but, as I said in a previous post, it's not the monetary cost which hurts. We don't make money off of killing freighters worth 1b-5b isk. we make money off killing the 7b-20b freighters. Because that's the thing: the required DPS doesn't scale with the value of a freighter. A triple expanded freighter worth 3b falls just as easily as a triple expanded freighter worth 30b. The profit margin difference of 500m (now) to 1b (then) gank on that 3b is big, but it's insignificant in the case of the 30b freighter. So judicious choice of targets means that we don't really feel the economic effects of this change.

As I've said before, the significant impact is requiring 5 to 10 more pilots, 10 to 20 more catalyst pilots. The effort required in making that happen far outweighs the loss of income we face because of increased bottom line on ganking.

KickAss Tivianne wrote:

As far as running an operational loss. You should probably talk to your FCs and come up with a new plan to look at targets that actually have stuff in them. Instead of just blowing up empty freighter just because your group claims the freighter is in as you say, "your space" and that they did not observe "your" laws.

This was a consequence of a confluence of several factors, including, but not limited to, the end of summer / school getting back in session, increased anti-ganker presence, increased wreck shooting, hyperdunking proliferation, overfishing and more. It's really outside the scope of this discussion, but, again, MiniLuv doesn't really gank empty freighters. It only really occurs when we get thirsty / miss a gank and need to cure our blue balls. We also don't have any Code we follow or a 'your space' thing or 'our laws' thing. We gank freighters because they're fat or they're red to The Imperium. That's it. I figured after being our adversary for nearly a year, you would have learned this by now.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#410 - 2016-02-15 02:38:01 UTC
Ylmar wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Actually defending yourself is so overpowered that if you do it, you have better odds of getting in a real life car accident on the way home than you do of getting ganked.

For your own sake better not bring real life into this. In real life, pirates, thieves and other asocial individuals are hunted down and locked away, their stolen assets siezed, if they threaten civilized society and the wellbeing of others, or simply because they disrupt commerce. In real life, there is absolutely nothing romantic or desirable about piracy and theft.

Ah, the "civilized society" angle.

There are no civilized societies in New Eden.

But your spiteful little rant was pretty funny. Just goes to show that it's the carebears who can't manage to separate their feelings from reality, like I've always said.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#411 - 2016-02-15 02:40:48 UTC
Nitshe Razvedka wrote:

I see we aren't even trying to hide the blatant hypocrisy at this point.

Gankers making a profit is "imbalanced", and in the same breath suggest that you should get paid for your petty, halfassed white knighting.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#412 - 2016-02-15 07:42:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
CCP Fozzie wrote:

We view ganking as one of many normal game systems that needs tweaking and balancing from time to time. Changes to the balance around ganking doesn't mean we have any intentions on removing it (if we wanted to do that, we easily could through direct methods).

In a lot of ways, keeping balance in this system is much like park rangers maintaining balance between wolf and elk populations. We keep an eye on how the whole ecosystem is developing and make tweaks as nessesary. Sometimes we might protect the corpses of dead elk from vultures so the wolves can feed in peace. Sometimes we might put some light body armor on the elk so that the wolves need to pick their targets more carefully. And I think I've officially taken this analogy too far.

Highsec seams to be a special place indeed if you are balancing game mechanics or ship stats around what a couple of players do to limit their impact. I always thought that EVE is a full sandbox, where you can set your own goals.

Now here we are, trying to change Highsec with force projection in a part of space with game mechanics entirely stacked against such things. Still we seam to move some things: Autopiloting pods/shuttles is down, the miners start to tank their ships, corporations around freighting stuff start to earn more since there is now actually risk in moving stuff around and there is a group of players forming which start to rebel against us.

But there is more to come, as we grow we can put more pressure on the Highsec dwellers and in some parts they already submit to our rule. In some other parts resistance forms. No matter what happens, it is in fact a gazillion times more interesting than the otherwise dead Highsec systems.

Now I think that a true multiplayer sandbox like EVE is advertised should allow for such a thing. No one can predict what will happen next. Maybe we continue to grow and Highsec will one day be united and be ruled by our Supreme Protector James 315. Maybe people get fed up so much that the long promised big miner coalition forms and starts to kill us off. Maybe something completely different no one expected will happen because this is a player driven sandbox and thousands of players contribute to the outcome.

In comes CCP with the nerf bat and resets part of the progress with another buff to haulers and mining ships. Not only do you nerf ganking once again, you practically tell us that you view this as some kind of elk farm and you will always step in and reverse our progress by handing out buffs to the opposition.

In other words the interesting stuff I talked about previously? It will never ever happen, because you seam to think that Highsec is not part of this dynamic player influenced sandbox, it is in fact an elk farm with CCP supervision.

If you look to nullsec, are you "balancing" things between player business out there as well? As you watch alliance A stumble because alliance B is invading and wrecking all their stuff, will you buff the doctrine ships of alliance A to maintain the "balance". Or is null not an elk farm like Highsec?

I could understand it if you actually wanted to change game mechanics around ganking with the intention to make the gameplay more interesting on both sides. But you do no such thing, you just rise the EHP like this is something in need of a hull rebalance and not in need of a change. It is incredibly lazy and the only thing it changes is that it makes ganking once again less accessible.

What in James name scares you so much about change in Highsec? It's not like we destroy the economy anytime soon, in fact the economy will always adapt and maybe it will be more interesting than before. It just seams like CCP is not ready for some really big changes.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#413 - 2016-02-15 07:45:36 UTC
Also, I'm poised to say that smart anti-gankers make tons of money from stealing our freighter wrecks and stealing our gank ship wrecks. Otherwise, there wouldn't be career wreck thieves and career salvagers and career loot scoopers.
Doesn't sound very smart if their method of making isk involves failing their primary goal then running away with the loot. The reality is that both anti-ganking mechanics and rewards are incredibly weak, and not at all on par with ganking in either regard. That's why there's no big anti-ganking group, because nobody wants to do something that is near impossible, no fun and rewards nothing if by some miracle it's pulled off successfully.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Oxide Ammar
#414 - 2016-02-15 09:47:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Oxide Ammar
As far as I remember before when freighters got changes with the low slots there was discussion regarding DCU being passive and if freighters can benefit from it but they had 3 options to do so:

1- Make DCU passive as he promised and reduce its PWG/CPU requirements so it can be fitted in freighters. Problem with this option it is putting some fits of frigs and destroyers out of whack which create imbalances.

2- Increase the PWG/CPU of freighters to fit DCU with couple of other modules also. Problem with this option it opens a lot of varieties to freighters to fit active hardeners since they are going to buff its CPU for that matter, You are create super tanky ungankable freighters that can OH their modules. They can't go to this road unless they are revisiting every low slot module so it can't be used by freighters.

3- Making DCU passive and nerfing it for the stated reasons in OP and to compensate that, they are giving plain HP buff to all ships in game but since freighters were originally promised to be able to fit DCU they won't be excluded from that buff.

If I'm able to dig in forums to find that old statement I'll link it.

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.

Icarius
The Wings of Maak
#415 - 2016-02-15 11:10:06 UTC
1/ With such a hp boost, for solo pvper, forget about freighter. Any freighter will be able to reach the gate, even double webbed, even with 1200dps. On the other hand, people like CODE will have no problem to form up with 33% more members ... thx again

2/ if i already have a dcu fitted before the change, no change ... for me ... but all my targets with no dcu will now earn a +33% hull hp ... so who got a nerf?

In fact, you should do it once for all ... change the rules guys, come on !!! Any attacker should see his dmg reduce to 25% in your wonderfull game for kids
Ylmar
Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure
#416 - 2016-02-15 12:02:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ylmar
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Just goes to show that it's the carebears who can't manage to separate their feelings from reality, like I've always said.

Oh, you've said a lot over the course of this thread, alas, the substance is lacking. Randomly calling players liars or hypocrites, aggressively attacking their "blatantly dishonest rethoric" (snort) for no other reason than that they don't share your views just goes to show how little you care for civilized discourse. But just keep talking, statistically there is a chance you might say something worthwhile, one of these days. Smile

As an afterthought: it does not matter much if the source of joy or frustration is a game or real life, feelings are always "real" for the person experiencing them. I am assuming that most of us are playing EVE to have a good time (no disrespect to masochists intended).
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#417 - 2016-02-15 12:20:55 UTC
Sorry if I missed this but what dc will become which after the streamline? Also since the meta 4s are so much better and more expensive have you considered changing them to a storyline or a new faction version. As someone who likes frigate pvp this flat out beef will sting the pocketbook.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#418 - 2016-02-15 12:32:15 UTC
I don't think that even the miners shed quite as many buckets of tears as the hs gankers in this thread. Come to low sec and below, you'll have a lot more fun than shooting at fish in a barrel in high sec.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#419 - 2016-02-15 12:38:13 UTC
Moac Tor wrote:
I don't think that even the miners shed quite as many buckets of tears as the hs gankers in this thread. Come to low sec and below, you'll have a lot more fun than shooting at fish in a barrel in high sec.

They havent spent the last decade bitching about being shot at while refusing to even fit a tank on their ship. The valid worries pirates have over these changes comes on the back of an average of 2-3 big nerfs to their gameplay every year for the last 8 years all just to make the game safer for people who refuse to make any effort to protect themselves.

If your playstyle had seen as many nerfs made to it as high sec piracy has seen you would also be kicking up a stink over yet more nerfs.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#420 - 2016-02-15 13:24:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Icarius wrote:
1/ With such a hp boost, for solo pvper, forget about freighter. Any freighter will be able to reach the gate, even double webbed, even with 1200dps. On the other hand, people like CODE will have no problem to form up with 33% more members ... thx again
Are you suggesting that right now, pre-change, you are able to solo gank a freighter?

Icarius wrote:
2/ if i already have a dcu fitted before the change, no change ... for me ... but all my targets with no dcu will now earn a +33% hull hp ... so who got a nerf?
After the change you will have a 33% hull resist buff. You will then be able to decide if you want to continue to use a DC, giving you more resists than prior to the change in some cases, or improve another aspect of your ship without losing that 33%.

Icarius wrote:
In fact, you should do it once for all ... change the rules guys, come on !!! Any attacker should see his dmg reduce to 25% in your wonderfull game for kids
lol.

baltec1 wrote:
If your playstyle had seen as many nerfs made to it as high sec piracy has seen you would also be kicking up a stink over yet more nerfs.
If everyone else simply ignored every beneficial change and grouped our playstyle with all other mildly similar playstyles like "high sec pirates" do, then most playstyles would have been heavily nerfed.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.