These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Computation of ship survivability

Author
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-02-12 05:53:23 UTC
I am trying to figure out how tough it would be to gank one of my haulers and am not sure how to do all the computations. Here is my computation so far for one damage type (kinetic):

ship: Epithal
shield HP with Large Shield Extender II: 4770 hp
native kinetic resistance: 40%
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II: 30%
Kinetic Deflection Field II: 55%
Damage Control II: 12.5%

So since these are resistances I multiple these by what gets through (difference from 100%), so the net kinetic damage received will be:

60% * 70% * 45% * 87.5% = 16.5%

So, to compute the kinetic damage necessary to get through my shields I divide:

4770 / 16.5% = 28,909

So, I would have to receive 28,909 kinetic damage to get through to my armor.

Is that right?

Uppsy Daisy
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2016-02-12 09:07:20 UTC
I dont think it's right, no.

1) Open EFT
2) Start an Epithal setup with All Level V character
3) Add a Damage Control II, Large Shield Extender II, Kinetic Deflection Field II and Adaptive Invuln II
4) Right click the Defence Shield icon, edit custom profiles
4) Click drop down, add new profile call it 'Kinetic', put 100% in the Kinetic box, close the box
5) Right click the Defence Shield icon, pick the 'Kinetic' profile
6) The Effective HP number now shows your total hit points against 100% kinetic damage, and I get 27559. This includes armor and structure, so your number must be wrong somewhere - it's too large

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#3 - 2016-02-12 14:59:28 UTC
the resist is 82.5 because there's a stacking penalty
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-02-12 15:00:39 UTC
I am trying to understand how to do the calculation, not how to operate EFT.
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-02-12 15:20:24 UTC
Ok, I have learned more about when stacking penalties apply and how to compute them. The Adaptive Invulnerability Field would suffer a stacking penalty with the kinetic hardener. According to my new understanding it would be:

60% * 87.5% * 45% * (1 - 30% * 0.86904) = 17.5%

So, to compute the kinetic damage necessary to get through my shields I divide:

4770 / 17.5% = 27,257

So, I would have to receive 27,257 kinetic damage to get through to my armor.

Is that right?
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2016-02-12 16:59:41 UTC
Droidster wrote:
Ok, I have learned more about when stacking penalties apply and how to compute them. The Adaptive Invulnerability Field would suffer a stacking penalty with the kinetic hardener. According to my new understanding it would be:

60% * 87.5% * 45% * (1 - 30% * 0.86904) = 17.5%

So, to compute the kinetic damage necessary to get through my shields I divide:

4770 / 17.5% = 27,257

So, I would have to receive 27,257 kinetic damage to get through to my armor.

Is that right?


No, it shouldn't. Stacking penalties only happen when you use the exact same module more than once.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#7 - 2016-02-12 17:36:01 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Estella Osoka wrote:
No, it shouldn't. Stacking penalties only happen when you use the exact same module more than once.


This is wrong.

Stacking penalties are incurred by similar modules affecting the same stat. Adaptive and type-specific hardeners absolutely suffer stacking penalties against each other.

For this arrangement of modules the kinetic hole size is:

.6 (hull)
*
.45 (kinetic hardener)
*
.875 (DC II)
*
1- (.3 * .869) = 0.7393 (adaptive)

Yields a 17.467% hole, or 82.53% resist.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#8 - 2016-02-13 13:41:21 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
Droidster wrote:
Ok, I have learned more about when stacking penalties apply and how to compute them. The Adaptive Invulnerability Field would suffer a stacking penalty with the kinetic hardener. According to my new understanding it would be:

60% * 87.5% * 45% * (1 - 30% * 0.86904) = 17.5%

So, to compute the kinetic damage necessary to get through my shields I divide:

4770 / 17.5% = 27,257

So, I would have to receive 27,257 kinetic damage to get through to my armor.

Is that right?


No, it shouldn't. Stacking penalties only happen when you use the exact same module more than once.


lies, all lies,