These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Scamming

First post
Author
Gen Fesslenski
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-01-11 05:15:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Gen Fesslenski
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#2 - 2012-01-11 05:25:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Kahega Amielden
Buying ISK directly is against the EULA and can result in action being taken against your account. Admitting to it on a public forum was, in fact, probably a bad idea (though he will probably also get in trouble).

The problem here was that you recklessly insisted on buying expensive ships and funding them with GTCs and, later, straight ISK buying..
Gen Fesslenski
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-01-11 05:33:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Gen Fesslenski
I did not buy ISK. I bought GTC read it again.

EDIT: When I say I found out it was a scam I mean I did not recieve the GTC I bought. And I bought it for list price. $34.99
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-01-11 05:51:55 UTC
No reason to post stories like this on the forums.

Petition is the only way to find out if CCP will do anything.

(On a sidenote, your post is full of "doing it wrong". Do not fly ships you cannot afford to replace through gameplay)
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#5 - 2012-01-11 05:58:35 UTC
Gen Fesslenski wrote:
I did not buy ISK. I bought GTC read it again.

EDIT: When I say I found out it was a scam I mean I did not recieve the GTC I bought. And I bought it for list price. $34.99

Ah.

anyway, did you -give- him the money? I'm guessing since this scam involved GTCs and whatnot (which is typically a nono) things will go in your favor, but I'm not sure.
Nvermind
Androse Trinket Haus
#6 - 2012-01-11 06:06:53 UTC
Yeah, don't throw ISK at ships and equipment you don't yet have the Skill Points to use.

Welcome to Eve :)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2012-01-11 07:24:47 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Sorry bud... but scamming isn't against the rules in EVE. Best advice I can give is:

- Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
- Don't trust someone you don't know.
- If it seems too good to be true... it's probably a trap.
- Bigger is not always better.
- If you can't fly/use it... don't buy it. Likewise, if you don't understand it... don't get involved unless you absolutely must (or are prepared to accept a large amount of "risk").
- Try to stay away from GTC/PLEX until you have a firm grasp of the game. Otherwise, you are spending more ISK than you need to in ventures you probably shouldn't be doing at your "level."

edit: also... EVE is more about your "journey" to the top... and there is no "end."
malaire
#8 - 2012-01-11 07:31:03 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Gen Fesslenski wrote:
After being told that I could trust a certain friend of his in another corp, I was offered a ship for 2bn with rigs. A small (300m) saving. I had learned that its worthless to fly something you dont have the skills to do good dps in so it was going to sit in my hangar for a while but the offer was very good so I took it with the intention of making a frined in another corp. (it was a Bhaalgorn fully t2 fitted). After directing me to a bad site (...) to buy GTC as I had already bought the limit from my battleclinic, I found out it was a scam and told him.

If you gave money to some site who promised to give GTC in return, but gave nothing, I don't think CCP can do anything about that. If you paid with credit card you could try contacting credit card firm about fraudulent shop as you can do with any such shop.

That site is not even listed as official reseller.

Gen Fesslenski wrote:
He went on about how desperate he was for the money so I found another place on google official list and bought more, and I waited for him in Jita. He threatened to have my account banned for buying from an illegal site if I didn't buy the ship and filed a petition against my char, so I gave him the 2bn and as I expected he never turned up, saying he filed me as an ISK spammer as well for giving him the money but as he has filed petitions against me in an attempt to extort my char I should be able to get it back right?

Filing petitions against your char, or reporting your char for ISK spamming, has no effect on you if you did nothing wrong. So you should've just ignored his empty threats.

I don't know if CCP would give you that ISK back, but in any case you should report him via petition and wait for CCP answer. (F12 > create new petition).

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

malaire
#9 - 2012-01-11 07:52:32 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Gen Fesslenski wrote:
Hello, I'm about 3 weeks old and am pretty fed up with this game already. Thanks to joining an old real life friends fail corp ...

Don't blaim EVE for actions of your "friend". Every game has its share of bad/evil players, it's unfortunately your friend happened to be one of them (or at least it seems so according to your post.)

Gen Fesslenski wrote:
The corp leader, who had been offline for 3 months had left a faction pos to the corp and every passing pirate wanted to take potshots at it, we (7) ended up getting wardecced by a griefer alliance when a spy infiltrated the corp, and I lost 1.1bn in a single day getting ganked while doing missions. (For anyone who asks how that was possible, I bought a navy scorpion after power leveling myslef to battleships I so i could join a corpmate in lvl4s and got ninja'd by the spy putting a covert ship in range of smartbombs whilst we were getting ninja salvaged, the ship had t2 rigs that my corp mate had fitted.)

I don't quite understand what really happened, but you shouldn't have used such an expensive ship when you still didn't understand game rules well enough and also couldn't afford to easily replace it.

Did wartarget kill you? In that case it was really your* fault since you were doing mission in expensive ship during war declaration. When war is declared you get warning 24 hours before fighting starts so you know to stop any such activities.

Did you hit neutral target with smarbomb so CONCORD killed you? Using smartbombs is risky in highsec, if you still want to use them you can only blaim yourself* for consequences.

*) or you can blaim your corp if they promised to teach you about EVE and did not do so.

In any way if you still want to give EVE a chance, you could try "starting from scratch" by distancing youself from your "friend" and his failcorp, and starting from ships you can afford to fly.

EDIT: If you would like to start from scratch with new character, I can give you 60 day trial account code for that. Send me message if you want this.

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Othran
Route One
#10 - 2012-01-11 08:38:42 UTC
I'm afraid the IP address that website is on is a known RMT site.

Other websites using it are : worldofwarcraft-leveling.com; worldofwarcraft-powerleveling.com; swagvault.net

In fact when you look at swagvault.com its immediately clear that its a RMT site. There's no mention of GTCs and "Deliver by Contract in game. Please log in game to receive the Contract in 2 hours after you place the order." is crystal clear.

The OP is going to be banned and frankly its their own fault.
malaire
#11 - 2012-01-11 08:45:51 UTC  |  Edited by: malaire
Othran wrote:

Other websites using it are : ......

In fact when you look at ... its immediately clear that its a RMT site. There's no mention of GTCs and "Deliver by Contract in game. Please log in game to receive the Contract in 2 hours after you place the order." is crystal clear.

CCP does not ban player for buying ISK, CCP just takes that ISK away (possibly causing wallet to go negative.) But since OP did not get any ISK, she might not get any consequences from this.

But yes, I just checked that site more closely and it is selling ISK not PLEX or GTC - and buying ISK with real money is against EULA.

Othran
Route One
#12 - 2012-01-11 08:51:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
malaire wrote:
Othran wrote:

Other websites using it are : worldofwarcraft-leveling.com; worldofwarcraft-powerleveling.com; swagvault.net

In fact when you look at swagvault.com its immediately clear that its a RMT site. There's no mention of GTCs and "Deliver by Contract in game. Please log in game to receive the Contract in 2 hours after you place the order." is crystal clear.

CCP does not ban player for buying ISK, CCP just takes that ISK away (possibly causing wallet to go negative.) But since OP did not get any ISK, they might not get any consequences from this.

But yes, I just checked that site more closely and it is selling ISK not PLEX or GTC - and buying ISK with real money is against EULA.

They ban you if its a repeat offence and its not at all clear to me where all the isk came from for the shiny stuff. There's more to this than we're being told.

Oh and the OP DID buy isk from there, they have admitted that. The OP claims to have not received it, but they've admitted buying ISK.

Edit - there's a reference to "powerlevelling" in the OPs post too. Another "service" that site offers. Only "powerlevelling" I see in Eve is ISK grinding, glad I'm not the GM dealing with this CF.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#13 - 2012-01-11 09:14:43 UTC
Jeez, ppl are stupid, Eve could be used by MENSA for measuring IQ but on the other hand OP clearly won't ever even apply for their tests :)

Why stay in corp that fails you? Why buy GTC on some shady websites when you have perfectly legal CCP page for it? Why buy expensive ships that you don't even have skills for? How can you let some d*bag to blackmail you with some sh*t if you can just ask on forums or directly submit a query to CCP for explanation?

Invalid signature format

Captain Nathaniel Butler
The White Company
#14 - 2012-01-11 11:12:28 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Jeez, ppl are stupid, Eve could be used by MENSA for measuring IQ but on the other hand OP clearly won't ever even apply for their tests :)

Why stay in corp that fails you? Why buy GTC on some shady websites when you have perfectly legal CCP page for it? Why buy expensive ships that you don't even have skills for? How can you let some d*bag to blackmail you with some sh*t if you can just ask on forums or directly submit a query to CCP for explanation?

Gen Fesslenski wrote:
Hello, I'm about 3 weeks old

Reading comprehension FTW Roll

Lady Spank for C&P moderator.

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#15 - 2012-01-11 11:39:13 UTC
Captain Nathaniel Butler wrote:
Gen Fesslenski wrote:

When I was 3 weeks old I knew enough to not to do all things OP did.

Information gathering FTW!

Invalid signature format

Captain Nathaniel Butler
The White Company
#16 - 2012-01-11 12:00:12 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Gen Fesslenski wrote:

Yaaay! for you - you simply rock!

However not every 3 week old is aware of all things EvE - perhaps it would serve you well to remember that.

Lady Spank for C&P moderator.

Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-01-11 12:49:48 UTC
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Gen Fesslenski wrote:

Yaaay! for you - you simply rock!

However not every 3 week old is aware of all things EvE - perhaps it would serve you well to remember that.

I just started to read the forums while waiting for the Tutorial skills to train. Small things go a long way.

EDIT; Grammer failure.
Tribalic One
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2012-01-11 15:37:06 UTC
Gen Fesslenski wrote:
Hello, I'm about 3 weeks old and am pretty fed up with this game already. Thanks to joining an old real life friends fail corp and spending my last 3 weeks getting blown up by far superior ships and ship skills in high sec space, I went through 2 GTCs in ships and received no help at all.

The corp leader, who had been offline for 3 months had left a faction pos to the corp and every passing pirate wanted to take potshots at it, we (7) ended up getting wardecced by a griefer alliance when a spy infiltrated the corp, and I lost 1.1bn in a single day getting ganked while doing missions. (For anyone who asks how that was possible, I bought a navy scorpion after power leveling myslef to battleships I so i could join a corpmate in lvl4s and got ninja'd by the spy putting a covert ship in range of smartbombs whilst we were getting ninja salvaged, the ship had t2 rigs that my corp mate had fitted.)

Now to the point.

After being told that I could trust a certain friend of his in another corp, I was offered a ship for 2bn with rigs. A small (300m) saving. I had learned that its worthless to fly something you dont have the skills to do good dps in so it was going to sit in my hangar for a while but the offer was very good so I took it with the intention of making a frined in another corp. (it was a Bhaalgorn fully t2 fitted). After directing me to a bad site (Removed the name of a EULA-violating site. Spitfire) to buy GTC as I had already bought the limit from my battleclinic, I found out it was a scam and told him. He went on about how desperate he was for the money so I found another place on google official list and bought more, and I waited for him in Jita. He threatened to have my account banned for buying from an illegal site if I didn't buy the ship and filed a petition against my char, so I gave him the 2bn and as I expected he never turned up, saying he filed me as an ISK spammer as well for giving him the money but as he has filed petitions against me in an attempt to extort my char I should be able to get it back right?

Confirming OP is member of fail corp and war dec'd by griefer alliance Twisted Can not confirm or deny possible spais...

It was fun incaping your POS defenses last night though Pirate

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#19 - 2012-01-11 15:47:54 UTC
I'm getting the distinct impression that the OP is a stupid person who makes bad descisions and gets screwed over because of his own idiocy pretty much constantly.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#20 - 2012-01-11 16:03:50 UTC

Well, yes we should nurture every dumba*s too lazy to do a little reading before blitzing his credit card for a tengu with spinners or sth else from hidden market part called "instant win".

Invalid signature format

123Next page