These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

CCP Finances - what does the future hold?

Author
Tia Beteran
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2016-02-11 22:34:25 UTC
Geetings

Found an intresting review and breakdown of CCP's finances for 2014

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ccp-financial-statements-for-2014-review.html

And seeing as CCP has gone dark about it's finances from the start of 2015, considering the introduction of SP trading and the extra income that will generate it does make you wonder what's what

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials

Anyhoo an interesting little titbit for you all

Fly safe and if not safe then fly in a tangent :)
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#2 - 2016-02-11 22:51:37 UTC
skins came out in 2015, china subs were up a bit, gun jack came out towrads the end of the year, when the company files its taxes and someone sees that (like they did last year) around may, we will have a decent idea. my guess is they either are stable or increased rev by a bit, and this year with valk coming, injectors and citadels (possibly skins for them int he future) it will be even better.

The rebuild phase is winding down, subs should start to rise as new stuff comes into play.

CCP should be fine

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#3 - 2016-02-11 22:56:59 UTC
They issued public bonds in 2014, but retracted them by 2015. So they only had to publish financial details for a short while.


Its a legal thing. Doesen't actually prove/disprove anything about their current situation. SUB numbers however, are still down. So yeah. Take that as you will.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Barrett Fruitcake
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-02-11 22:57:08 UTC
Predicting CCPs future finances is probably not too different than predicting the weather.
No one will actually get it exactly right, though some might be close.

The difference is that you have a whole lot more information to predict the weather.
Trying to predict the future of a company which doesn't report its financials is probably done better with a weegie board, than random player passive aggressive speculation with arm-chair degrees in Finance.

TigerXtrm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2016-02-11 23:24:34 UTC
Tia Beteran wrote:
Geetings

Found an intresting review and breakdown of CCP's finances for 2014

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ccp-financial-statements-for-2014-review.html

And seeing as CCP has gone dark about it's finances from the start of 2015, considering the introduction of SP trading and the extra income that will generate it does make you wonder what's what

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials

Anyhoo an interesting little titbit for you all

Fly safe and if not safe then fly in a tangent :)



The introduction of SP trading and all other micro transaction stuff hasn't got anything to do with bad financial circumstances. I'm willing to bet CCP is doing just fine financially. It's just that they realized what most people on this forum desperately try to close their eyes to. Subscription models are outdated and will drive away new audiences (and even old ones as more and more people struggle financially). Optional payments (AKA micro transactions) are where the gaming industry is at right now and EVE Online will have to adapt if it's going to survive into it's third decade. You know, that whole adapt or die thing we all love so much. Doesn't just apply in-game, you know. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but it is something that is going to happen sooner or later. CCP is introducing micro transactions slow and steady, so I don't expect the grand announcement of the removal of subscription fees for another 2 years at least. But it will happen, for the alternative is EVE dying for real.

And besides, seeing how insanely popular these skill injectors seem to be, I'd say they're on the right track. There's obviously a demand for these things.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-02-11 23:32:26 UTC
With EvE Valkyrie coming with every occulus rift I'm bullish on ccp.

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

Barrett Fruitcake
Doomheim
#7 - 2016-02-11 23:35:50 UTC
Getting enough players to support a free to play with micro transactions Eve Online in order to turn off the subscription model without risking a short-term shortage of cash could be the "chicken or egg" scenario.

Can you get enough players to support it still using the sub model?
Or can you quickly gain enough players after you turn off the sub model?


Interesting observation.

The Free To Play model could just be a relatively short term fad. Finance models change all the time and who knows what will be next.
I doubt Free to Play will be around for all of eternity. It has its drawbacks.

It certainly would not be in CCPs best interest to just blindly and recklessly adapt a new model because it seems to be the next best thing. It takes time to sort out and model various scenarios to validate assumptions.
Boom Boom Longtime
EVE Corporation 6908469858
Heroes and Villains.
#8 - 2016-02-11 23:38:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Boom Boom Longtime
TigerXtrm wrote:
Tia Beteran wrote:
Geetings

Found an intresting review and breakdown of CCP's finances for 2014

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ccp-financial-statements-for-2014-review.html

And seeing as CCP has gone dark about it's finances from the start of 2015, considering the introduction of SP trading and the extra income that will generate it does make you wonder what's what

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials

Anyhoo an interesting little titbit for you all

Fly safe and if not safe then fly in a tangent :)



The introduction of SP trading and all other micro transaction stuff hasn't got anything to do with bad financial circumstances. I'm willing to bet CCP is doing just fine financially. It's just that they realized what most people on this forum desperately try to close their eyes to. Subscription models are outdated and will drive away new audiences (and even old ones as more and more people struggle financially). Optional payments (AKA micro transactions) are where the gaming industry is at right now and EVE Online will have to adapt if it's going to survive into it's third decade. You know, that whole adapt or die thing we all love so much. Doesn't just apply in-game, you know. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but it is something that is going to happen sooner or later. CCP is introducing micro transactions slow and steady, so I don't expect the grand announcement of the removal of subscription fees for another 2 years at least. But it will happen, for the alternative is EVE dying for real.

And besides, seeing how insanely popular these skill injectors seem to be, I'd say they're on the right track. There's obviously a demand for these things.

I forget the part where you seem naive enough to miss the fact ccp upper management signed off copious amounts of eve player subscription cash right down the pan on dust and vampires - and how that has subsequently, and is continuing to affect the eve playerbase in light of recent blatant cash grabs and "exciting new features" which are clearly engineered to milk a cow for all that it might yield while detracting from the core values of the original ethos of Eve to compensate for the aforementioned failures.

Concord Approved Trader

koenkoard
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2016-02-11 23:51:42 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
Tia Beteran wrote:
Geetings

Found an intresting review and breakdown of CCP's finances for 2014

http://marketsforisk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ccp-financial-statements-for-2014-review.html

And seeing as CCP has gone dark about it's finances from the start of 2015, considering the introduction of SP trading and the extra income that will generate it does make you wonder what's what

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-goes-dark-company-financials

Anyhoo an interesting little titbit for you all

Fly safe and if not safe then fly in a tangent :)



The introduction of SP trading and all other micro transaction stuff hasn't got anything to do with bad financial circumstances. I'm willing to bet CCP is doing just fine financially. It's just that they realized what most people on this forum desperately try to close their eyes to. Subscription models are outdated and will drive away new audiences (and even old ones as more and more people struggle financially). Optional payments (AKA micro transactions) are where the gaming industry is at right now and EVE Online will have to adapt if it's going to survive into it's third decade. You know, that whole adapt or die thing we all love so much. Doesn't just apply in-game, you know. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but it is something that is going to happen sooner or later. CCP is introducing micro transactions slow and steady, so I don't expect the grand announcement of the removal of subscription fees for another 2 years at least. But it will happen, for the alternative is EVE dying for real.

And besides, seeing how insanely popular these skill injectors seem to be, I'd say they're on the right track. There's obviously a demand for these things.


Meh, I wouldn’t call injectors Insanely Popular... Just novelty like everything else, after the initial wave it‘ll die down... 700mil ISK for 300k sp points is too much. Unless the price changes the amount of transactions will be extremely low as the time passes. People will realize (soon enough) that is actually cheaper to buy a made character at the bazaar. I bought a 70mil sp nice caldari toon with great shield/misiles/core skills for 22bill. In comparison, to build a character like that using injectors on a 5.5mil sp starter toon would cost around 215 injectors @700mil ISK each = 150 BILLION ISK

so yeah, novelty like everything else.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#10 - 2016-02-11 23:55:37 UTC
Aiwha wrote:
They issued public bonds in 2014, but retracted them by 2015. So they only had to publish financial details for a short while.



But that's not nearly as provocative as claiming they've mysteriously "gone dark", now is it?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Avvy
Doomheim
#11 - 2016-02-11 23:57:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Avvy
koenkoard wrote:

Meh, I wouldn’t call injectors Insanely Popular... Just novelty like everything else, after the initial wave it‘ll die down... 700mil ISK for 300k sp points is too much. Unless the price changes the amount of transactions will be extremely low as the time passes. People will realize (soon enough) that is actually cheaper to buy a made character at the bazaar. I bought a 70mil sp nice caldari toon with great shield/misiles/core skills for 22bill. In comparison, to build a character like that using injectors on a 5.5mil sp starter toon would cost around 215 injectors @700mil ISK each = 150 BILLION ISK

so yeah, novelty like everything else.


I thought they were going to do away with the character bazaar, I thought that was one of the reasons for the injectors.
koenkoard
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-02-12 01:31:07 UTC
Avvy wrote:
koenkoard wrote:

Meh, I wouldn’t call injectors Insanely Popular... Just novelty like everything else, after the initial wave it‘ll die down... 700mil ISK for 300k sp points is too much. Unless the price changes the amount of transactions will be extremely low as the time passes. People will realize (soon enough) that is actually cheaper to buy a made character at the bazaar. I bought a 70mil sp nice caldari toon with great shield/misiles/core skills for 22bill. In comparison, to build a character like that using injectors on a 5.5mil sp starter toon would cost around 215 injectors @700mil ISK each = 150 BILLION ISK

so yeah, novelty like everything else.


I thought they were going to do away with the character bazaar, I thought that was one of the reasons for the injectors.


I don’t think they would do that... Too much heat from the community. Especially cause they make money off of it (2 plex character transfer fee)

If you think about it, these buggers make money on every front and for every concept.
MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
#13 - 2016-02-12 03:22:02 UTC
Aiwha wrote:
They issued public bonds in 2014, but retracted them by 2015. So they only had to publish financial details for a short while.


Its a legal thing. Doesen't actually prove/disprove anything about their current situation. SUB numbers however, are still down. So yeah. Take that as you will.

THANK YOU!

I am very gratified to see how quickly someone posted this. There isn't a private company on the face of this planet that posts detailed financial information to the public unless they are publically traded or have issued public bonds.

Trying to use that as "ammo" for your doom threads, OP, just makes you look uneducated.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#14 - 2016-02-12 09:50:04 UTC
Barrett Fruitcake wrote:
Getting enough players to support a free to play with micro transactions Eve Online in order to turn off the subscription model without risking a short-term shortage of cash could be the "chicken or egg" scenario.

Can you get enough players to support it still using the sub model?
Or can you quickly gain enough players after you turn off the sub model?


Interesting observation.

The Free To Play model could just be a relatively short term fad. Finance models change all the time and who knows what will be next.
I doubt Free to Play will be around for all of eternity. It has its drawbacks.

It certainly would not be in CCPs best interest to just blindly and recklessly adapt a new model because it seems to be the next best thing. It takes time to sort out and model various scenarios to validate assumptions.


Why not just do both?

I'm happy to pay a sub. I would not play this game at all if I had to grind for PLEX every month, as I already have a job...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Sneaky Little Bastard
Doomheim
#15 - 2016-02-12 10:13:06 UTC
Oh I see ! Turning the game into P2W to gain more money. Great job CCP.
You'll have less players, but the remaining will pay more, awesome.
Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#16 - 2016-02-12 10:39:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Ibutho Inkosi
The reason no glaring and definitive result is seen is that there is none to be seen. This means CCP is teetering between red and black. Its black isn't pulling down money hand over fist, and its red isn't an express elevator to the basement.

Since its black is so thin, and red so close by, there's no operating capital available for any major moves. Even developing other ventures can't be achieved without going into debt, or recruiting investment (which is essentially the same thing when you get down to it.)

This explains why any changes are superficial and mechanical tweaks by nature, with no major overhauls requiring payment of highly qualified talent and investment of time and resources.

This is in all likelihood due to the fact the golden age of MMOs has long since been over. Inflation and the accompanying loss of value of currencies world wide make required investments too huge in relation to expected revenue - thus deterring investors. That EVE is alive at all is testimony to its core design value, and in turn its percentage of loyal customers (regardless of what the obvious drop in these has been.)

It's still got a pulse. It's not heading to any Olympic events any time soon.

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#17 - 2016-02-12 13:05:44 UTC
crodaCool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2016-02-12 14:43:15 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
skins came out in 2015, china subs were up a bit, gun jack came out towrads the end of the year, when the company files its taxes and someone sees that (like they did last year) around may, we will have a decent idea. my guess is they either are stable or increased rev by a bit, and this year with valk coming, injectors and citadels (possibly skins for them int he future) it will be even better.

The rebuild phase is winding down, subs should start to rise as new stuff comes into play.

CCP should be fine

Excuse me sir, but j noticed you are diverging from the pre-approved narrative here.

Repeat after me: Eve is dying.

Now doesn't that sound much better?
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#19 - 2016-02-12 14:51:40 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#20 - 2016-02-12 15:26:11 UTC
20 minutes into the future...

Coming to a EVE near you:

Unlimited Trial! Play EVE for as long as you want! No subscription required!

The little print: Unlimited Trial accounts will stop earning SP past 15 days. But you can buy SP from other players! Also, remember that certain ship classes are restricted (can't be used) for Trial accounts. Also certain services (pilot resculpt, pilot transfer and skillpoint extraction) are restricted too.

Notice: a Unlimited Trial account is for trial purposes only. Once subscribbed, your account can't revert to Unlimited Trial status.


12Next page