These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Eve devalued

Author
Gedrick frogue
Heuristic Industrial And Development
AddictClan
#1 - 2016-02-11 11:30:23 UTC
Hi All

I'm probably going to get a fair bit of grief about this but I want to know why CCP has devalued Eve and by devalued I am referring to SP trading

Eve's greatest strength has always been that you had to earn, learn and grow within Eve, you learnt how skills, ship's, fittings, weapons, industry et all worked

You did this by training skills and working things out with corp buddies, you also valued your skill points, after all some skills could take you 30 or more days to train for

So now you can pay some Isk and buy an injector and jump up your skills, you have lost more than what you think you have gained

You have lost that value, teamwork and understanding element that you had when before this "feature" you had respec'ed your attributes, stuffed implants into your head asked your buddies how to get towards your goal and train, all these things that made Eve, Eve

OK i know this probably isn't the end of Eve but this IS a fundamental shift in how and what Eve is, Eve has just been drastically changed by CCP and for what? Simple answer is money,

After all Eve is CCP's only viable money making product and is getting as much as it can out of our wallets, well they have to pay for the development of new products but devaluing Eve to do so doesn't make sense

WoW is pay to win, you can buy a maxed out character for $40 and unfortunately Eve is now on the same path, some might say that this is the beginning of the eve for Eve, i for one hope not

Yup, i know that a lot of people will disagree with me and they will argue that SP trading is the best thing since sliced bread and that others will be in the opposite camp

I guess time will tell and we'll all find out if Eve survives or dies

Cheers

Ged
Barrett Fruitcake
Doomheim
#2 - 2016-02-11 11:46:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrett Fruitcake
Its simply a way to facilitate a massive redistribution of wealth within the game to the less fortunate, who have been playing long enough to gain massive amounts of useless SP since CCP has been a bit slow in giving the older players something useful to train for over the last few years.

Those who are just entering the game can do this by pushing a ton of apparently un-needed cash toward CCP in return for high valued things they can exchange for ISK in-game, which they can then spend that ISK for SP injectors and therefore become the "cattle" of New Eden until they learn their way around.

Those who have been in the game for a long time and have been fortunate enough to be able to funnel some of the greatest sources of wealth their way, or have had an abundance of free time can then transfer some of that vast amounts of ISK to those who have been less fortunate and want to get rid of that currently useless SP.

In any case, its a win win for Eve Online and CCP.

CCP gets a ton more of RL money thrown at them, and there is a short term significant redistribution of wealth within the game for which all spells to moar players have moar isk to spend on in-game items to fuel the destruction of those items through either ignorance or the short term flush of finally being rich and wanting strut your stuff in-game.

The new gamers are happy, at least initially.
The old less fortunate gamers are happy, for a bit longer.
And the old most fortunate can admire the fact that they now have as much SP as any Dev char in the game.

Cheers!
Lan Wang
Knights of the Posing Meat
#3 - 2016-02-11 11:55:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Lan Wang
do we really need anymore discussion posts about sp trading sheesh.

If you think eve is pay2win then get a newbro to fly a max level raven into lowsec/null and see if he wins

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Buba Neagra
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2016-02-11 12:03:59 UTC
No SP comes out of thin air so I see nothing wrong here.

I'd say this new feature is a SP sink since you extract 500k and you can inject from 500k to 150k.
Few will use injectors, most of the player base ain't got the money to do it so no big change overall.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#5 - 2016-02-11 12:53:48 UTC
Cash is king.

Not today spaghetti.

Linus Gorp
Ministry of Propaganda and Morale
#6 - 2016-02-11 12:59:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Linus Gorp
A 4-day-old character lost his 10-billion Ark yesterday.
SP != Skill.
SP does not teach you anything, it only enables you to do certain things.

Skill trading is not pay to win. Those who think otherwise are the ones that will lose all their money and be podded back to World of Warcraft, where they belong.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

Memphis Baas
#7 - 2016-02-11 13:00:27 UTC
Gedrick frogue wrote:

I'm probably going to get a fair bit of grief about this but I want to know why CCP has devalued Eve and by devalued I am referring to SP trading.


Because they probably made a cool $1 million in one day, compared to in 1 month previously.

As far as all that in-game social stuff that you value, look at it from a non-gamer's point of view: you're such a loser for wasting your life with a GAME, lol! You could be out there making friends and getting laid in RL.

Basically, it's all worthless.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#8 - 2016-02-11 13:02:45 UTC
legit question, how do you "win" in EVE? what does "winning" mean to you? can you please give an example of "winning" in EVE? thank you.

Just Add Water

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#9 - 2016-02-11 13:15:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniela Doran
Nat Silverguard wrote:
legit question, how do you "win" in EVE? what does "winning" mean to you? can you please give an example of "winning" in EVE? thank you.

Ignore this guys post. He is a troll and will troll you endlessly on this same question over and over again regardless of the facts you present to him.

To the OP, you are correct. This game have been greatly devalued with the addition of this pay2win feature and can no longer be called Eve. This game is now called World of Spaceships, Eve is dead!
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#10 - 2016-02-11 13:37:36 UTC
Daniela Doran wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
legit question, how do you "win" in EVE? what does "winning" mean to you? can you please give an example of "winning" in EVE? thank you.

Ignore this guys post. He is a troll and will troll you endlessly of this same question over and over again regardless of the facts you present to him.

To the OP, you are correct. This game have been greatly devalued with the addition of this pay2win feature and can no longer be called Eve. This game is now called World of Spaceships, Eve is dead!


i'm a troll? lol, look at our post histories and find out who's post are toxic and s2pid.

you choose not to answer my questions because you can't. this is not your typical themepark game wherein level and gear determines your success in clearing dungeons and raids.

Just Add Water

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#11 - 2016-02-11 16:02:08 UTC
No, the new skill trading is not "pay to win".

And yes, yes it did Devalue some very important things in the game. In odd ways too, last night was the 1st ngiht in a long time I didn't play EVE for at least an hour. I've got 20 bil in my wallet just from selling unwanted SP from alts I don't even use, and this is without touching my main characters (the 4 I use everytime I log in) or the 4 other alts I sometimes use. But last night it was like 'what's the point, it's not like I need the isk lol'.

And I will be able to do it again and again and again because of my +5 learning implant SP farming toons. This lessens the need to fly around in space actually doing things to get isk, which lessens the excitement of getting a good spawn or good drop or finding a good complex or exploration site.

Even if the demand goes down, it won't go down far. Just like there is always a new demand for
PLEX (and other things like SOE items , which is why even after all the SOE mission farming people are still doing it), there will always be players who want an SP short cut.

Problem is that CCP just gave some of us even less reason to actually play the game. Before this change, the "SP farmers" were the guys who could stand to deal with the horribly inefficent Char Baazar. Now's it's, well everyone.
stg slate
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-02-11 16:17:52 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
... last night was the 1st ngiht in a long time I didn't play EVE for at least an hour. I've got 20 bil in my wallet just from selling unwanted SP from alts I don't even use, and this is without touching my main characters (the 4 I use everytime I log in) or the 4 other alts I sometimes use. But last night it was like 'what's the point, it's not like I need the isk lol'.

And I will be able to do it again and again and again because of my +5 learning implant SP farming toons. This lessens the need to fly around in space actually doing things to get isk, which lessens the excitement of getting a good spawn or good drop or finding a good complex or exploration site...


First world problem... I have too much money in my internet spaceship game so it isn't exciting anymore.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#13 - 2016-02-11 16:29:44 UTC
stg slate wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
... last night was the 1st ngiht in a long time I didn't play EVE for at least an hour. I've got 20 bil in my wallet just from selling unwanted SP from alts I don't even use, and this is without touching my main characters (the 4 I use everytime I log in) or the 4 other alts I sometimes use. But last night it was like 'what's the point, it's not like I need the isk lol'.

And I will be able to do it again and again and again because of my +5 learning implant SP farming toons. This lessens the need to fly around in space actually doing things to get isk, which lessens the excitement of getting a good spawn or good drop or finding a good complex or exploration site...


First world problem... I have too much money in my internet spaceship game so it isn't exciting anymore.


You do know we're playing a game right?

How fun would soccer be if you got 10 goals awarded to you just by stepping on the field? Isk/wealth is already too easy to make, now it's even easier and will be easier still when CCP adds that 'tribute' scheme.

For anything to mean anything, it must be fairly rare and not so easy to get a hold of. That's why Gold is a precious metal and dirt is dirt. CCP keeps adding new ways to make isk into dirt.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2016-02-11 16:49:17 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Isk/wealth is already too easy to make...


Too much money? Try spending it.

If you think EVE is about ISK, I think you've missed the point. ISK is just a grind in front of the fun things. Unlimited ISK? No grind.

Sounds like heaven to me.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2016-02-11 16:51:00 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
For anything to mean anything...



You do know we're playing a game right?
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#16 - 2016-02-11 17:01:23 UTC
I'm not terribly fond of the injectors, myself, but all the histrionics are far worse. Roll

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#17 - 2016-02-11 17:06:52 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
legit question, how do you "win" in EVE? what does "winning" mean to you? can you please give an example of "winning" in EVE? thank you.


Apparently just being James 315 is winning. Roll

--Gadget - not winning EvE

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

stg slate
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2016-02-11 17:07:09 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
You do know we're playing a game right?

How fun would soccer be if you got 10 goals awarded to you just by stepping on the field? Isk/wealth is already too easy to make, now it's even easier and will be easier still when CCP adds that 'tribute' scheme.

For anything to mean anything, it must be fairly rare and not so easy to get a hold of. That's why Gold is a precious metal and dirt is dirt. CCP keeps adding new ways to make isk into dirt.


I don't see how this invalidates my point.

If you are so awesome at this game that you can't even spend all the money you get I assure you that isn't a widespread problem. ISK isn't dirt to most players because most players aren't goblins or tryhards.
Dibz
Doomheim
#19 - 2016-02-11 17:19:07 UTC
It's not pay to win. But the game feels different now.

Before, there was a hard cap on your character's SP gain. Didn't matter how rich you were, your character advanced at the same max speed as everyone else.

Now your character's advancement is limited by your wallet, and of course by the number of injectors on the market.

EVE now has a two-tier character advancement system: time based basic tier, and time+money based premium tier.
Fa Xian
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2016-02-11 17:58:33 UTC
Dibz wrote:
EVE now has a two-tier character advancement system: time based basic tier, and time+money based premium tier.


You mean "bought it from another player who earned it earlier on the basic tier" tier, right?
123Next pageLast page