These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The origins of Yahweh in New Eden ?

Author
Queen Lexi Scorpion
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-02-10 11:50:23 UTC
Hello, I am a Christian... I've yet to learn what percent of New Eden is inhabited by Christians.

I've started a new Christian Corp.

I'd like to know the origins of the Jerusalem Bible Scriptures in New Eden that refer to Yahweh.

I believe they come from the Old Earth.

All I know is I first encountered a copy at my grandmother's house when I needed it to read and through doing so,
the One named Yahweh revealed himself to me through the Holy Spirit.

A few months later the One named Jesus Christ spoke to me briefly.

But I can't find any info or history on the Jerusalem Bible or Christians in New Eden, other than a copy of the Scriptures I own.
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#2 - 2016-02-10 13:36:13 UTC
Queen Lexi Scorpion wrote:
Hello, I am a Christian... I've yet to learn what percent of New Eden is inhabited by Christians.

Technically: 0%, as far as I'm aware.

According to the old backstory, the Amarr faith is derived from a futuristic Catholic church movement that eventually made its way to New Eden and evolved out of the Dark Ages into what we see today. But other than that, there is no Christianity in New Eden. This is one of the key points of EVE, so much knowledge was lost to the point humans literally rediscovered themselves when they reinvented space flight.

All the races have their own belief structures that may resemble something familiar from Earth religion and mythology, but that's it.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#3 - 2016-02-10 15:56:23 UTC
Yeah, the best and closest equivalent are what eight millenia of drift have made of that obscure Christian sect which became the Amarr faith.

In all other cases, old Earth beliefs have been exterminated by the inevitable movement of time.

On the other hand, if you go into some old museum on one of the major worlds, you may find some weird old relic which by chance survived from ancient times. That relic could very well be a bible or a surviving Koran. (I wouldn't bet on it, though.)

Be aware though, the people of New Eden would consider an old religious text like the Koran or the bible as relevant as we find the gods of old Mesopotamia. That is, not at all. P
Queen Lexi Scorpion
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-02-10 19:28:34 UTC
Thank you for the replies :)
Ibrahim Tash-Murkon
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#5 - 2016-02-11 12:58:13 UTC
The Unified Catholic Church in older Eve fiction seems to possibly be less an evolution of the RL Catholic Church and something more akin to an amalgamation of present day faiths ("catholic" meaning "universal"). This might have been a grouping of the Abrahamic religions or even a church incorporating ideas from non-Abrahamic faiths. The ideas and styles of the Amarrian religion and culture seem to draw both from Catholicism as well as Eastern Orthodoxy and Islam (and the cultures of the places where those faiths were historically concentrated i.e., Rome, Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire, and Persia).

That said, I'm not entirely sure to what degree the Unified Catholic Church and what little we know about it is canon.

"I give you the destiny of Faith, and you will bring its message to every planet of every star in the heavens: Go forth, conquer in my Name, and reclaim that which I have given." - Book of Reclaiming 22:13

Lunarisse Aspenstar
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#6 - 2016-02-11 14:11:32 UTC
New Eden, as a fictional construct, should not be confused with our world or a vision where aspects that would readily recognizable as our world survived the cataclysm that is the eve gate collapse and resultant societal dark ages.

I think Ibrahim's discussion of the Amarr Faith is rather accurate and there are a wide range of strands in the lore and the roleplay that range from orthodox, heterodox, and outright heretical. Some of the more interesting heretical variations are Sani-Sabik (with Blood Raiders being a more extreme form) and Equilibrium of Mankind

The Matari - those Minmatar that turned their back on the Amarr Faith imposed on them by their conquerors - have tribal spiritualism and the Caldari often reference the spirits or ancestor worship in their roleplay and/or lore.

The evewiki has a lot of information on the Amarr, and the OOC roleplay forums backstage have resources of what some other rpers have done or assembled out of the lore with other spirituality in the Cluster.

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/
Queen Lexi Scorpion
Doomheim
#7 - 2016-02-12 04:24:10 UTC
Thank you for the info and the link, I am currently doing my "homework" on the Amarr faith
Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2016-02-12 04:30:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
You will also find that the Amarr faith refers to God and the Angels and....that's all the links to Christianity that you will find.

The rest of it is very different. There is no 'Bible', for instance, just Scriptures. Lots of Scriptures.

No references whatsoever about the old Prophets. All the relics are different. Angels are still there and still similar to what you learnt about in Church but they have slightly different names and slightly different roles.

The Emperor IS the Prophet equivalent.

Conversion is also done not through missionaries, but through direct conquest, subjugation and then indoctrination over several or more generations via slavery.

Race and blood factors alot in the Amarr faith as well.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Kador Ouryon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-02-14 21:06:20 UTC
Elmund Egivand wrote:
You will also find that the Amarr faith refers to God and the Angels and....that's all the links to Christianity that you will find.

The rest of it is very different. There is no 'Bible', for instance, just Scriptures. Lots of Scriptures.

No references whatsoever about the old Prophets. All the relics are different. Angels are still there and still similar to what you learnt about in Church but they have slightly different names and slightly different roles.

The Emperor IS the Prophet equivalent.

Conversion is also done not through missionaries, but through direct conquest, subjugation and then indoctrination over several or more generations via slavery.

Race and blood factors alot in the Amarr faith as well.

That said even Angels are referred to occasionally as Sef from time to time and also to be fair missionary work I recall was tried by one Minmatar convert but I think the attempt wasn't received, admittedly quite understandably, well at all.

What fills the soul? Something that guides a lost child back to it's parents arms. Or waves that dye the shores of the heart gold. A blessed breath to nurture life in a land of wheat. Or the path the Sef descend drawn in ash. In the wake of fire.