These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Autopilot vs. Manual

Author
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2016-02-10 02:44:54 UTC
So many misconceptions, misquotes and jumping to conclusions here I almost don't know where to start

Pandora Carrollon wrote:

This isn't rational to me. I have yet to see anywhere in all the studying I've done that says the games stated goal is that nowhere is safe. This *IS* a common sentiment from dedicated PVP'rs though. What some devs say at conferences aside, I have yet to read that PVE in HiSec is not intended and that PVE is safer in NullSec. That's totally the opposite of all the representations I've ever read.

It's not one dev and it was not one time. It is a moto of this game and it is said again and again. Further I've never seen a contrary statement made by any dev. It seems to be generally agreed by the devs that once you undock there is nowhere in Eve that you are safe and that is intended.

Nowhere did I say that PvE in high sec was not intended. I am not sure where you got that from. However strict PvE where you are insulated from interactions with other players is not available in this game. Ganking, mission intrusion, loot stealing, mission objective stealing, suspect baiting, war decs to chase out the competition, it's all fair game.

In other words you can PvE all that you want in high sec it's just that someone can come by and PvP you when ever they like. If you have read anything to the contrary you have been lied to.
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

Again, these points appear to be in conflict with each other. To me, a sandbox is everyone is in the same environment, all playing under the same conditions, free to do whatever they can under the rules given them. PvP'rs are the only ones I see making the claim that it is PvP focused. Please point me to the CCP information that states otherwise so I can learn.

If you are claiming that this game is PvE focused you would be the first person I've ever heard making that claim. I am a hardcore PvE player. I am probably the wimpiest carebear you've ever met or at least very close to it. As a player that does not ever seek out PvP and has been playing this game for 7 years I am telling you this game is PvP focused as will pretty much everyone else, player, dev, pirate, carebear typically all agree on this.
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

From what I'm seeing, the bedrock of the game seems to be mining, the entire economy seems to be founded on it. So, HiSec, by my read exists to allow that PVE activity to happen and keep things going. If the game were PVP focused, nobody would care about the economy or any of the other trappings the game has and people would be forced into conflict like Strategy MMO's do. Also, PvE'rs seem to be the larger majority of the population. So if PvP is CCP's focus, it doesn't look like it's going so well by player base interest.

You are assuming that mining is the only way to get minerals and it is not. They have had to nerf loot and reprocessing probably a dozen times or more to try and make mining a viable profession in this game.

Further you are assuming that mining is a strict PvE activity which in this game most certainly is not and probably more PvP in high sec due to groups like code and the myriad of corps that war dec mining corps for the PvP fun.

You also are assuming that most of the mining is done in high sec. I'm not sure if the majority of the ore in game is mined in high sec or not currently but I'm fairly certain that at least at one point that was not the case.

So drop the assumption that mining is a strict Pve activity because it is not. Drop the idea that mining is the only way to get minerals because it is not. Drop the idea that high sec is the only place that you can mine because it is not. Drop the concept that industry or the market in general is strict PvE because they are not. There is such a thing as market PvP.
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

There are just some game mechanics that appear to be at odds with intent. So if HiSec is supposed to be PvP heaven, protecting the attackers then PvP'rs don't seem to have figured that out yet. The ship losses in HiSec lag way behind those in LoSec and NullSec, at least on my read of the stats in DotLan. The only times that anyone has messed with me PvP wise has been in borderline LoSec (0.5), LoSec and NullSec. So my experience is not matching up with what is being claimed here.

Mechanics that seem to be at odds with what intent?

I never once stated that high sec was intended to be or supposed to be a PvP Haven. What I have said was that concord does not protect you they punish criminal activity after it has occurred. In that respect the ganker running around in a ship that he fully intends to loose is the only one that receives protection from concord.

When you compare PvP activity in high sec versus null sec you seem to only be counting ship losses. In doing so you make it seem like the merc corps that station camps and shuts down a mining corp for weeks at a time is some how not PvP. Or that a market trader using incredibly aggressive tactics to control and dominate markets driving out competition is somehow not PvP. That just the fact that you have to manually pilot and warp to zero on gates is somehow something other than PvP. If PvP did not figure into the equation there you could autopilot when ever you want with no concern for the safety of your ship.

There are no rules nor mechanics in this game the force you to seek out PvP. However there are mechanics to ensure that you can not fully isolate yourself from it. Once you undock in this game anyone can shoot at you and there are no mechanics to prevent them from doing so.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2016-02-10 03:53:55 UTC
Hmmm ... saying the game is PvE focussed cos mining is a bit like saying Hitler's Germany was a peaceful fun loving regime because they had lots of farmers and fishermen,
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#23 - 2016-02-10 04:06:44 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

This isn't rational to me. I have yet to see anywhere in all the studying I've done that says the games stated goal is that nowhere is safe. This *IS* a common sentiment from dedicated PVP'rs though. What some devs say at conferences aside, I have yet to read that PVE in HiSec is not intended and that PVE is safer in NullSec. That's totally the opposite of all the representations I've ever read.

WRONG. EVE is a PVP sandbox game.

with reference to the EvE Online New Pilot FAQ, page 15, Section 5, Clause 5.3 and i qoute, "In EVE Online, any player may attack any other player if they choose to, no matter where they happen to be. This is because EVE Online is essentially a PVP (Player vs Player) game at it's core.".

you are welcome. Cool

Just Add Water

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#24 - 2016-02-10 17:08:31 UTC
Wow... I seem to be poorly communicating here. In an attempt to cut down on the wall of texts posts, I was being as brief as possible and as such I seem to have been unclear. So I apologize for the wall of text...

I didn't intend to imply EVE was PvE *OR* PvP oriented. I think both are quite possible and the game seems to do such quite well. I did say that I've only seen the claims of it being primarily PvP oriented from hardcore PvP'rs. ergherhdfgh is the first stated PvE'r I've seen making the claim as well, so I'll take it with more consideration as being fact.

I also never said or implied that anyplace should be 'safe'. That is a carebear dream. I am well aware that EVE does not offer safe harbor anywhere but in dock. I have actually read that from EVE devs. However, that does not mean that EVE is PvP focused. That is an interpretation to say that. Without PvE, the game collapses, even I can see that much. PvP does not sustain the game and it would not be built the way it is if it was primarily a PvP focused game. PvP seems to be ONE of the primary aspects of the game, but not the end all of the game.

That leads to my mining comment. I'm just making that observation from an economic point. While, yes, there may be enough resources to sustain the economy without mining for a while, eventually it would collapse if everyone stopped mining. That is why they need to keep it a viable 'job' for ISK earning, unless they intend the function to go the NPC route. So, I appreciate peoples comments on this, but I'm looking at a reality of game design here. CCP has to keep PvE in the game and they have to have some method of protecting those PvE folks. My read is that is what HiSec is, a risk reduction mechanism for PvE players. It makes a reasonable trade off of safety for lower income rates for SOME players.

Now, ergherhdfgh, my read of your intent was based on your comment that HiSec was intended to protect PvP'rs, and not to protect PvE'rs. If I have misconstrued that comment or your position was improperly stated, then I am sorry and happily toss out my previous comments that are causing some issues for you. That seems to be what has happened. So I'm sorry for misreading your intent.

HiSec, from everything I've experienced so far is what I stated before. A risk reduction mechanism for PvE activities to move forward for players not wanting to have to be hyper paranoid at all times. It is true that you are not safe in HiSec, however, if your cargo holds never hold more than a couple million ISK of materials, your only worry is the suicide ganker that is in it for the fun of it, because it's not profitable for other forms of suicide gankers. The War Dec costs, as they are, are high enough to protect smaller mining ships from being plundered for profit. That does not apply to some ORCA sucking up millions of ISK to take to market. So, I'm fully aware of the mechanisms folks. My points are to game realities.

Thus my comment about game mechanics. The War Dec costs are low enough that if my Procurer hold is full and I'm in HiSec, a kill of my ship would pay for the War Dec cost if you'd get 100% return on value of hold and salvaged items. Since that's not probable, and a Procurer isn't an easy kill, it's not really profitable. The same can't be said for the other mining barges. Thus my comment about the costs for War Dec being a little low as a game mechanic. To me, all the Tech 1 mining barges should be 'covered' by a higher War Dec cost so that it would take more than 1 kill to make it profitable to declare War. It's easy enough to train into a mining barge so newbies can start bringing in heavier loads for profit as they build up their corps or give them something to do to earn steady income while they learn the game and find ways to pay for warships and fitting lessons. It doesn't help the game to have some newbie get whacked, thinking they are protected by HiSec, when they have someone declare war on them so they don't get smashed by Concord. To a lot of newbies, this would look like game rules manipulation and would be a turn off. The player doing the whacking may not think a thing about it, as it's allowed, but often we don't consider larger consequences.

I am NOT saying HiSec should be safe, I've never said that nor intend that. My comment is that mechanics like a single sided War Dec being used to dodge consequences of attacking players in HiSec doesn't add up to 'War' to me, it's more like buying a Monopoly "Get out of Jail Free" card. I would prefer that the cost for War Dec be double what it currently is, and if the War Dec is mutual, each side pays half and they go to war- any time, any place. If it's a single sided War Dec, meaning "I'm going to War against you NOW!", they pay the full Concord fee and they are free to go after a HiSec corp. The game mechanic for the "War" concept is strengthened and the perceived abuse of it is slightly reduced, providing a little more protection for ships that newer pilots are likely to fly in HiSec.

So, I'm making comments regarding game mechanics and what I'm seeing as their intent. To me, the War Dec use seems to be at odds with the intent of what its purpose seems to be and why it's named the way it is.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#25 - 2016-02-10 17:23:35 UTC
All those that feel that EVE is a PVP Sandbox, the games focus is PvP, please answer these questions (not really answer but think about them and then educate fools like me so we can learn):

What outcome, game-wise does PvP generate? Put another way, after the 'fun' is had, what is the actual effect of PvP?

What outcome, game-wise does PvE generate? What purpose does it serve in the game?

Given the differences in those outcomes, would you create a PvP focused game that even bothers with the PvE aspect? Is it necessary? Why spend the development time and resources on it? What purpose does the in game economy serve or is it even necessary for PvP?

So, is the game PvP focused, or perhaps, balanced PvP vs. PvE by design?

My personal belief is that many of the Dev's like the PvP aspect of the game and the destruction it creates, as the destruction is necessary to drive the economy forward, otherwise it would stagnate with everyone having tons of ISK and nothing to spend it on. PvP, to me, is the end of the economic cycle, allowing the rebirth need of more goods.

PvP is also the 'flashy' side of the game. It creates those big conflicts and huge splashy battles. However, the PvE side of the game actually allows the economic juggernauts to clash in those battles. It's something of a yin/yang argument.

I am not skilled enough at ship combat yet to have any confidence in PvP, I'm cutting my teeth on NPC's at the moment so that I'm comfortable with operating the ships systems, targeting, etc. I don't want to worry about that crap when I'm going up against another player. I want to PvP but I'm taking my time and learning.

However, my newbie advice to the hardcore PvP'rs is that not everyone likes to PvP. Same advice applies to the hardcore PvE'rs. Most MMO stats show that dedicated PvP'rs are about balanced against dedicated PvE'rs in the games. The middle ground does both, usually with leanings one way or the other. I'm not seeing a difference in EVE. I am seeing these forums bear that out. Lots of "We need more protection from the evil PvP'rs" from the carebear corps. Also, lots of "We need to be able to clobber any ship any time" from the tear collectors.

I don't fall into either of those camps, I'm in the middle ground. I like to have fun, but be fairly competent at a game before I start stretching my wings too wide.

So I apologize for any ruffled feathers, it was not my intent. As I've said, I'm still learning, but to be fair, I'm not an idiot and I can see how the larger puzzle pieces fit by now. Trying to smash me over the head doesn't help. If you want to help, just be nice and show me where I can learn if you don't care to teach me.

Thanks again for all the input!
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#26 - 2016-02-10 17:37:10 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
All those that feel that EVE is a PVP Sandbox, the games focus is PvP, please answer these questions (not really answer but think about them and then educate fools like me so we can learn):

What outcome, game-wise does PvP generate? Put another way, after the 'fun' is had, what is the actual effect of PvP?

What outcome, game-wise does PvE generate? What purpose does it serve in the game?

Given the differences in those outcomes, would you create a PvP focused game that even bothers with the PvE aspect? Is it necessary? Why spend the development time and resources on it? What purpose does the in game economy serve or is it even necessary for PvP?

So, is the game PvP focused, or perhaps, balanced PvP vs. PvE by design?

My personal belief is that many of the Dev's like the PvP aspect of the game and the destruction it creates, as the destruction is necessary to drive the economy forward, otherwise it would stagnate with everyone having tons of ISK and nothing to spend it on. PvP, to me, is the end of the economic cycle, allowing the rebirth need of more goods.

PvP is also the 'flashy' side of the game. It creates those big conflicts and huge splashy battles. However, the PvE side of the game actually allows the economic juggernauts to clash in those battles. It's something of a yin/yang argument.

I am not skilled enough at ship combat yet to have any confidence in PvP, I'm cutting my teeth on NPC's at the moment so that I'm comfortable with operating the ships systems, targeting, etc. I don't want to worry about that crap when I'm going up against another player. I want to PvP but I'm taking my time and learning.

However, my newbie advice to the hardcore PvP'rs is that not everyone likes to PvP. Same advice applies to the hardcore PvE'rs. Most MMO stats show that dedicated PvP'rs are about balanced against dedicated PvE'rs in the games. The middle ground does both, usually with leanings one way or the other. I'm not seeing a difference in EVE. I am seeing these forums bear that out. Lots of "We need more protection from the evil PvP'rs" from the carebear corps. Also, lots of "We need to be able to clobber any ship any time" from the tear collectors.

I don't fall into either of those camps, I'm in the middle ground. I like to have fun, but be fairly competent at a game before I start stretching my wings too wide.

So I apologize for any ruffled feathers, it was not my intent. As I've said, I'm still learning, but to be fair, I'm not an idiot and I can see how the larger puzzle pieces fit by now. Trying to smash me over the head doesn't help. If you want to help, just be nice and show me where I can learn if you don't care to teach me.

Thanks again for all the input!

aside from the fact that EVE is designed as a PVP sandbox game by CCP as stated in the FAQ i linked, EVE economy will die if there won't be any ship explosion. PVE activities are there or in place to support PVP.

let me ask you a question, what do you intend to use all the ISK you accumulated? just to hoard?

Just Add Water

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#27 - 2016-02-10 17:40:54 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

That leads to my mining comment. I'm just making that observation from an economic point. While, yes, there may be enough resources to sustain the economy without mining for a while, eventually it would collapse if everyone stopped mining. That is why they need to keep it a viable 'job' for ISK earning, unless they intend the function to go the NPC route. So, I appreciate peoples comments on this, but I'm looking at a reality of game design here. CCP has to keep PvE in the game and they have to have some method of protecting those PvE folks. My read is that is what HiSec is, a risk reduction mechanism for PvE players. It makes a reasonable trade off of safety for lower income rates for SOME players.

It'sl not CCP that makes mining, as an example of pve, a viable job. It is pvp. Yes, pvp players blow up mining ships, which results in less minerals on the market, then PvP players drives prices up because they want more ships, which makes getting blown up in mining barges an acceptable business expense. CCP hasn't needed to do anything to make mining viable, so they have been pretty hands off. They have added new ship lines that are tougher to kill or harder to catch, but overall the situation is self correcting. As long as one follows the #1 rule of eve, then every profession is viable.

As said before, pve is not exclusively or even necessarily primarily a HS activity. I'm pretty sure HS exists to give new and casual players a buffer zone that still maintains the sense of danger and meaningful accomplishments/loss that EvE promotes. But I've not seen any Dev comment on the "why HS" question.

But I would not say that HS exists for PvE, because PvE is everywhere. This argument only has merit if PvE were solely a HS activity, which it is not.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#28 - 2016-02-10 17:41:31 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:

WRONG. EVE is a PVP sandbox game.

with reference to the EvE Online New Pilot FAQ, page 15, Section 5, Clause 5.3 and i qoute, "In EVE Online, any player may attack any other player if they choose to, no matter where they happen to be. This is because EVE Online is essentially a PVP (Player vs Player) game at it's core.".

you are welcome. Cool

Thank you.

I'm not seeing where I'm wrong though. It says it's a sandbox game, check. It says it is 'essentially a PvP game at it's core', check. That doesn't necessarily mean it has a PvP focus.

I can see the temptation to link those two concepts but that's not how I'm reading that or seeing it in the current design of the game.

If it were focused that way, at least half the game is wasted coding effort. The game mechanics REQUIRE PvP to drive the end output of the economy, just as it requires PvE to drive the input side of the economy. The 'sandbox' has nothing to do with either of those. The game could exist on multiple servers, multiple instances, etc. etc. just like other MMO's. The sandbox is everyone is playing together all the time and human nature actually drives the conflict aspect as well as development aspect.

Proof of that would be this... if everyone stopped PvP'ing, would the game still exist? Yes, it might be boring, people just getting rich building massive corps and industries, but yes, it could keep going. The same can't be said for PvE. If everyone stopped doing the PvE side, eventually the economy would grind to a halt. ISK would be harder and harder to obtain as the loss in salvaging ships would be the last haven. Players make all the goods, that's a PvE aspect of the game. Take the aspect away and the game dies a long, slow painful death as it is currently coded. You can't have output without input. Well, I take that back, everyone could keep PvP'ing in rookie ships, forever. That side is automatic. So, I'm wrong there, but the game would be reduced to that. It's essentially death.

So yes, the game is PvP at it's core, but core is not 'focus' to me. The focus is likely the balancing act between PvP and PvE. Something I think CCP is doing reasonably well at so far.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#29 - 2016-02-10 17:51:44 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:

It'sl not CCP that makes mining, as an example of pve, a viable job. It is pvp. Yes, pvp players blow up mining ships, which results in less minerals on the market, then PvP players drives prices up because they want more ships, which makes getting blown up in mining barges an acceptable business expense. CCP hasn't needed to do anything to make mining viable, so they have been pretty hands off. They have added new ship lines that are tougher to kill or harder to catch, but overall the situation is self correcting. As long as one follows the #1 rule of eve, then every profession is viable.

As said before, pve is not exclusively or even necessarily primarily a HS activity. I'm pretty sure HS exists to give new and casual players a buffer zone that still maintains the sense of danger and meaningful accomplishments/loss that EvE promotes. But I've not seen any Dev comment on the "why HS" question.

But I would not say that HS exists for PvE, because PvE is everywhere. This argument only has merit if PvE were solely a HS activity, which it is not.

I think you might be misreading what I said. I actually agree with your comments almost entirely. I don't quite understand the logic you are trying to reach with the "PvE solely as an HS activity" comment, because it seems based on a misread of what I said. I said HS seems to be a risk reduction game mechanic. That doesn't mean that players won't take higher risks for higher gains. I'd even take my Procurer into Null Sec, with a cloaked escort, once I feel more in control of my combat ships.

So agreed, PvE is everywhere, as it needs to be. PvP is also everywhere as it needs to be. The security differences seem to exist as a mechanism to let a player fly where they are comfortable.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#30 - 2016-02-10 17:58:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

This isn't rational to me. I have yet to see anywhere in all the studying I've done that says the games stated goal is that nowhere is safe.

EvE Online New Pilot FAQ, page 15, Section 5, Clause 5.3
and this colourfull post from CCP Falcon our community manager
CCP Falcon wrote:
Okay, so what follows is entirely my personal opinion.

It's not a case of not "catering to the tearfilled entitled", it's a case of us staying true to the core of what EVE was built on.

Some of the people complaining in this thread have valid points about the fact that they don't feel safe. Simple fact of the matter is, that you're not suppose to feel safe in New Eden.

Eve is not a game for the faint hearted. It's a game that will chew you up and spit you out in the blink of an eye if you even think about letting your guard down or becoming complacent.

While every other MMO starts off with an intro that tells you you're going to be the savior of the realm, holds your hand, protects you, nurtures your development and ultimately guides you to your destiny as a hero along with several other million players who've had the exact same experience, EVE assaults you from the second you begin to play after you create a character, spitting you out into a universe that under the surface, is so complex that it's enough to make your head explode.

The entire design is based around being harsh, vicious, relentless, hostile and cold. It's about action and reaction, and the story that unfolds as you experience these two things.

True, we're working hard to lower the bar of entry so that more players can enjoy EVE and can get into the game. Our NPE (New Player Experience) is challenging, and we're trying to improve it to better prepare rookies for what lies out there, but when you start to play eve, you'll always start out as the little fish in the big pond.

The only way to grow is to voraciously consume what's around you, and its your choice whether that happens to be New Eden's abundant natural resources, or the other people who're also fighting their way to the top.

EVE is a playing experience like no other, where every action or reaction resonates through a single universe and is felt by players from all corners of the word. There are no shards here, no mirror universes, no instances and very few rules. If you stumble across something valuable, then chances are someone else already knows where you are, or is working their way toward you and you better be prepared to fight for what you've discovered.

EVE will test you from the outset, from the very second you undock and glimpse the stars, and will take pleasure from sorting those who can survive from those who'd rather curl up and perish.

EVE will let you fight until you collapse, then let you struggle to your feet, exhausted from the effort. Then when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel it'll kick you flat on your ass in the mud again and ask you why you deserve to be standing. It'll test you against every other individual playing at some point or another, and it'll ask for answers.

Give it an answer and maybe it'll let you up again, long enough to gather your thoughts. After a few more steps you're on the ground again and it's asking more questions.

EVE is designed to be harsh, it's designed to be challenging, and it's designed to be so deep and complex that it should fascinate and terrify you at the same time.

Corporation, Alliances and coalitions of tens of thousands have risen and fallen on these basic principles, and every one of those thousands of people has their own unique story to tell about how it affected them and what they experienced.

That's the beauty of EVE. Action and reaction. Emergence.

Welcome to the most frightening virtual playground you'll ever experience.

Source
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#31 - 2016-02-10 18:00:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Pandora Carrollon
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

Dude, you're awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

It brings it back around to the OP's point and says what I've been thinking for a long time.

PvE is still an aspect of PvP, but I've never been able to coalesce the reasoning until reading that. Maybe that's what everyone else here is trying to beat into my head that I've been missing.

Maybe I needed a little less beating and a little more elegance... LOL! Lol

Sorry all.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#32 - 2016-02-10 18:05:19 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

Proof of that would be this... if everyone stopped PvP'ing, would the game still exist? Yes, it might be boring, people just getting rich building massive corps and industries, but yes, it could keep going. The same can't be said for PvE. If everyone stopped doing the PvE side, eventually the economy would grind to a halt. ISK would be harder and harder to obtain as the loss in salvaging ships would be the last haven. Players make all the goods, that's a PvE aspect of the game. Take the aspect away and the game dies a long, slow painful death as it is currently coded. You can't have output without input. Well, I take that back, everyone could keep PvP'ing in rookie ships, forever. That side is automatic. So, I'm wrong there, but the game would be reduced to that. It's essentially death.

So yes, the game is PvP at it's core, but core is not 'focus' to me. The focus is likely the balancing act between PvP and PvE. Something I think CCP is doing reasonably well at so far.

i think you are misunderstanding something, production, buy/sell, etc are all different types of PVP. do you know the -0.01 game? that's the type of PVP i hate the most. it's impossible to gather all the materials for producing stuff, you need to buy some of it. you need to plan and outwit other producers/sellers for you to gain. so actually market is vicious pvp.

even mining sometimes can be considered PVP since asteroid belts can be consumed and depleted. miners are fighting for good mining spots near trade hubs.

Just Add Water

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#33 - 2016-02-10 18:05:43 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

Dude, you're awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

i have that thread bookmarked, its a doosey and a lot of what catalyzed it ( lol ) happened in or around uedama.

worth a read if your into drama.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#34 - 2016-02-10 18:07:51 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
i think you are misunderstanding something, production, buy/sell, etc are all different types of PVP. do you know the -0.01 game? that's the type of PVP i hate the most. it's impossible to gather all the materials for producing stuff, you need to buy some of it. you need to plan and outwit other producers/sellers for you to gain. so actually market is vicious pvp.

even mining sometimes can be considered PVP since asteroid belts can be consumed and depleted. miners are fighting for good mining spots near trade hubs.

Thank you, Griffin just educated me on that as well.... I appreciate your patience with me.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#35 - 2016-02-10 18:15:36 UTC
So, now that I've had my entire understanding of the game flipped on it's head...

It seems we need to throw out other MMO concepts of PvP and PvE, as anyone (like me) coming from other MMO's would misread that.

Now, to the OP, the understanding I now have is that since there is no such thing as PvE (you are in PvP competition at all times) in this game, then it becomes a factor of autopilot is just higher risk, lower in HiSec, but still higher, than manual.

However, with the new understanding, then my point about War Dec becomes a balance point between reward vs. elimination of Concord risk in HiSec. It doesn't make the point less valid, I'm not chaning my mind on War Dec, but it's important to acknowledge the change in presentation.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#36 - 2016-02-10 18:30:59 UTC
My entire game time for almost the last two years has been under multiple wars.
I'll agree that war needs some attention but the cost shouldn't be the balancing factor,
They tried and it directly resulted the smaller aggressive entities forming larger block groups to spread the cost about , now for the most part aggressive hs entities tend to be big 80+ member count groups.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#37 - 2016-02-10 20:28:50 UTC
My entire game time for almost the last two years has been under multiple wars.
I'll agree that war needs some attention but the cost shouldn't be the balancing factor,
They tried and it directly resulted the smaller aggressive entities forming larger block groups to spread the cost about , now for the most part aggressive hs entities tend to be big 80+ member count groups.

Aren't we quite clever people, always figuring ways around things... Big smile

If that's the case then yes, just changing the amounts won't fix the problem. It will for a re-adjustment but the 'loophole' will pretty much be just the same. I'll have to ruminate on it further to see if I can come up with something that might make it worthwhile. Perhaps something along the lines of "War kills in HiSec generate less recoverable revenue when single side declared", not sure, just trying to make it so the 3 week to 3 month crowd doesn't get disillusioned just as they transition out into the larger universe. Sure it's a wake up call, I'm not trying to mitigate that, but it just needs to appear to be less 'game rules' manipulation and more 'by design'. Perhaps even a rename, instead of War Declaration, call it a Concord Bribe to look the other way... Roll

Just want to say thanks again. That reference really blew my mind and made all the pieces I couldn't quite fit together, just fall into place. It was my own little Matrixesque "There is no spoon..." noodle baking moment.

I think a formally written statement by CCP that relays that same sentiment should pop up at every new account launcher load of the game. "This isn't a usual MMO, there is no PvE!" It really changes the perception I have of the game now.

I'm extending that heart-felt thanks to everyone on this thread that's tried to get that across to me. Thank you.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#38 - 2016-02-10 21:24:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
It seems we need to throw out other MMO concepts of PvP and PvE, as anyone (like me) coming from other MMO's would misread that.
You'll often see the advice "forget everything other MMO's have taught you" thrown around in New Citizens Q&A, now you know why.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2016-02-10 22:08:00 UTC
I am not going to respond to the text wall since the poster's revelation leads me to believe it is no longer an accurate representation of his viewpoint.

However I would like to add that when I used to live in high sec it go to the point that if 3 or more barges from my corp were in an asteroid belt together we were almost guaranteed a war dec within the next 24 hours. If someone in the corp ran level 4 missions for several days in a faction or T2 mission boat with some faction or deadspace mods fit to it then we'd get a war dec. It got to the point where we all had to go to out of the way systems and not do anything together or we'd be war deced. Even then if we put up an add to try and recruit new members we'd get a war dec.

So several years ago I moved to null to avoid a war dec. Upon moving there I discovered how much less PvP there is in null sec for those that are looking to not be involved in any. I have less PvP interations in a month in null sec than I used to have in one evening in high sec.

The main point that I would like to make in this post is that high sec is not the safe haven for PvEers that you may think that it is. If you are looking for a place to PvE in peace then null sec is where you want to be.

Now I'm not saying you can move to just anywhere in null sec. You do have to move to the right location and learn a little about how to operate there but my point is that high sec is full of PvP and you have little control over when and where it happens. In null sec you typically know when PvP is headed your way and can prepare for it or just dock up and do something else. Those options don't typically exist in high sec.

As far as comments about gankers only ganking high value ships you are wrong on that. There are players that just seek out easy kills to pad their kill efficiency ratio. There are also people in high sec that consider tears as payment. There are as many reasons that people PvP in high sec as there are people who do so. If I take all of my high sec loss mails into consideration I'd bet less than half of them had a profit motive attached to their instigation.

In this post I am trying to tell you that high sec is probably less safe than you think and null sec is probably more safe than you think. Of course this assumes you know how to act in both places. The inexperienced player might be safer in high sec but the knowledge and skills that it takes to operate safely in null sec can be learned rapidly.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#40 - 2016-02-10 22:31:12 UTC
You are correct that it no longer represents my opinion directly, but indirectly not much from an observational point has changed.

What has changed for me is how things are based and balanced. Your comments about 'protected PvE' were trying to tell me what Ralph King Griffin's post echoing CCP Falcon actually did get across to me. THERE IS NO PVE.

So, your points are valid and experience is really the best teacher. How we adapt is really the telling factor of how much pain we have to suffer through before we stumble on what works for us.

What I'd advise at this point is a continual stressing of not calling it PvE. While in EVE, it has relevance to a concept, to anyone not familiar with that concept or coming from outside EVE, it means something else entirely and man does that go a long way to explain the disconnect between tear-collectors and carebears, at least to me.

Inside the context of EVE, it's really resource/corporate PvP, not ship vs. ship PvP.

This is still a mind blower to me and it's really hard to dump traditional PvE concepts when I see the term... sheesh! Cry
Previous page123Next page