These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How to auto logoff in case of falling asleep at the helm?

Author
Adonlude
Akavhi Guard
Fraternity.
#1 - 2012-01-10 23:45:55 UTC
I only enjoy mining if I am doing it on a laptop sitting on the arm of my couch while I lay back and watch a movie. Unfortunately, I occassionally fall asleep. In the past I have been lucky but last night this finally cost me my Hulk at the hands of war targets. I fully intend to continue flying impared by fatigue and/or alcohol but I would like to find some way to logoff or shut the laptop down if there is a period of inactivity. Windows 7's built in laptop idle functions dont seem to feel that the computer is idle if EVE is open an running. Any gurus want to give me some ideas?

Thanks,
Adonlude
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#2 - 2012-01-10 23:47:16 UTC
Can't think of anything at the moment but I like your attitude so hopefully someone can give you a tip before I get a chance to think on it later tonight.

+1

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#3 - 2012-01-11 00:23:09 UTC
I would look at using a tool such as Timed Shutdown to automatically shut down your computer after e.g.: 15 minutes. Of course there is also the question of WTF are you doing in an exhumer during a wardec, but that is an issue best resolved between yourself, your corp, and your wartargets.
DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-01-11 00:23:31 UTC
1. Resize your local, so all pilots are visible
2. Rebalance your monitor's colours, so red becomes much more prevalent
3. Place a tub of water about one hand-length deep at your feet
4. Buy a kitten

Once you fall asleep, the kitten will begin to roam around the room, looking for things to play with/destroy.
If a war target jumps into system, the kitten will eventually see a large red dot on your notebook's screen. This dot will bounce up and down as people enter and leave the system.
The kitten will then attack the red dot on your display, knocking the notebook into the tub of water. The electronics will short-circuit, your notebook will break, and you will be logged off.
Hainnz
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-01-11 00:24:14 UTC
A hardware solution exists at the very least, assuming you haven't already thought of it. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-31200-TimerMax-Indoor-Digital/dp/B0020ML744/ref=pd_sim_k_5

Although I'm pretty sure you can get Win7 to turn off the way you want. I'd check the microsoft forums or usenet groups.
Boseo
Azure Horizon
#6 - 2012-01-11 01:39:35 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:
4. Buy a kitten

Once you fall asleep, the kitten will begin to roam around the room, looking for things to play with/destroy.
If a war target jumps into system, the kitten will eventually see a large red dot on your notebook's screen. This dot will bounce up and down as people enter and leave the system.
The kitten will then attack the red dot on your display, knocking the notebook into the tub of water. The electronics will short-circuit, your notebook will break, and you will be logged off.

This one made me lol. I like how stupid but well thought out it is.

Sorry but file “forumsig.GIF” is currently unavailable please come back later…… like in a year or so.

Teleni Pavle
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-01-11 01:48:22 UTC
Have screensaver shut the laptop down.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#8 - 2012-01-11 01:54:17 UTC
How about booking into an AA group.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#9 - 2012-01-11 02:03:42 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
How about booking into an AA group.

You're not allowed while sporting that avatar to give lifestyle advice. We clear?

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#10 - 2012-01-11 02:09:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Famble
There's programs that can initiate a shutdown on your PC. The built-in shutdown.exe on XP Pro comes to mind. That can be called from the command line with arguments to tailor the nature of the shutdown (show a countdown, give a message etc.).

If you know some .NET programming you could write your own little application that simply runs a timer and resets that time on every keystroke or mouse movement. If the timer ever runs to completion you could simply have it run shutdown.exe. Actually, .NET (C# in particular) probably has a method to initiate a shutdown all by itself.

Barring .NET skillz you could simply write a simple batch file that calls your shutdown tool, attach that to a recurring scheduled event on your OS. It will pop a message every x minutes (whatever you've scheduled it for) and you could manually cancel the shutdown from there.

Some ideas there I suppose.

EDIT:
To see if your PC has shutdown.exe open up a command prompt and type:
Start --> Run --> cmd --> Enter --> shutdown.exe /?

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#11 - 2012-01-11 02:13:59 UTC
Famble wrote:
There's programs that can initiate a shutdown on your PC. The built-in shutdown.exe on XP Pro comes to mind. That can be called from the command line with arguments to tailor the nature of the shutdown (show a countdown, give a message etc.).

If you know some .NET programming you could write your own little application that simply runs a timer and resets that time on every keystroke or mouse movement. If the timer ever runs to completion you could simply have it run shutdown.exe. Actually, .NET (C# in particular) probably has a method to initiate a shutdown all by itself.

Barring .NET skillz you could simply write a simple batch file that calls your shutdown tool, attach that to a recurring scheduled event on your OS. It will pop a message every x minutes (whatever you've scheduled it for) and you could manually cancel the shutdown from there.

dude, he falls asleep while mining during a wardec....

Myxx
The Scope
#12 - 2012-01-11 02:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Myxx
Adonlude wrote:
I only enjoy mining if I am doing it on a laptop sitting on the arm of my couch while I lay back and watch a movie. Unfortunately, I occassionally fall asleep. In the past I have been lucky but last night this finally cost me my Hulk at the hands of war targets. I fully intend to continue flying impared by fatigue and/or alcohol but I would like to find some way to logoff or shut the laptop down if there is a period of inactivity. Windows 7's built in laptop idle functions dont seem to feel that the computer is idle if EVE is open an running. Any gurus want to give me some ideas?

Thanks,
Adonlude

I'm like, 99 percent positive this is wardec bait. If not, you really did deserve to lose your ship for being undocked in a mining barge while under war conditions.
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#13 - 2012-01-11 02:17:41 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Famble wrote:

Yea, you got me laughing out loud there for a second. Touche'

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-01-11 02:18:04 UTC
You could try using a covetor instead, or even go for other lower-risk forms of income. Like AFKing at an asteroid belt in a vexor.

Sorry I don't know, what everyone else said I guess.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-01-11 02:19:09 UTC
Myxx wrote:
Adonlude wrote:

Thanks,
Adonlude

I'm like, 99 percent positive this is wardec bait. If not, you really did deserve to lose your ship for being undocked in a mining barge while under war conditions.

On the other hand, there is a 1% chance he wasn't mining in Jita?

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#16 - 2012-01-11 02:38:45 UTC
Morganta wrote:
Famble wrote:

That's roughly the message I got from the OP. It's like that bearsuit guy's train of thought.

Bear Attacks Hurt > Instead of altering my habits to avoid Bear Attacks, Let's make them not hurt.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Alexila Quant
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#17 - 2012-01-11 02:42:44 UTC
Don't know if this is strictly legal in terms of TOS (I'll leave that hunk of reading for you to decide) but you could always make an autohotkey script that kills the EVE process after 6 minutes of lack of user input. (6 being a good number as it's 2 cycles of your strippers you're bound to do SOMETHING within that time frame) Like I said, not sure if it's 100% legal.

Any GM input on that? Now i'm curious.
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-01-11 02:45:01 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:
4. Buy a kitten

Thanks for that early smile on my face :)
Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-01-11 02:51:17 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:

On the other hand, there is a 1% chance he wasn't mining in Jita?

For what it's worth, you can't mine in Jita anymore as they removed all fo the belts long ago to combat lag.

To the OP: someone could write a keylogger type program which would wait for a period of inactivity from the keyboard/mouse before automatically initiating a shutdown. Alternatively, you could use a pre-existing keyloger which regularly outputs to a log file and just check the log for inactivity before shutting down. The latter method should be easy with a scripting language.
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-01-11 03:12:05 UTC
Try the shutdown command. I would post the exact usage since I use it often however, the idiot(s) that coded this forum think I'm trying to post HTML.

Don't ban me, bro!

12Next page