These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Arek'Jaalan] Project Heliograph enters its second phase

Author
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2016-02-09 00:12:33 UTC
I suppose it's about time for us to update the status of the Heliograph project.

In many ways, I was pleased to see it progress - after the disappearance of Hilen Tukoss, it seemed that the faith in the project was all but gone.

Thanks to a plethora of research documentation regarding the Sleepers, we were able to piece together sufficient information about the architecture. On the device side, there are certain differences that result in an incompatibility with our present equipment. Among them are encoding and carrier noise frequency.

While the encoding issue is still being ironed out, the noise issue has been dealt with. Thanks to the large surplus of research tools and datadumps we were able to accelerate development in this particular area, resulting in what we believe is a correct carrier noise.

(Research material stockpile as of now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcj463279gz7t22/resources.png?dl=0 )

Before we delve exactly into the Heliograph link structure, let's take a quick look at the stargates first. Their design and method of operation is very old - and well-documented, but I thought I'd mention it for the sake of those who don't delve into such things often. What I'm going to focus on will be the Jump Negotiation method - or what happens in the timespan between you requesting a jump and being hurled to he other side.

So, how does the Jump Negotiation work? First, the AGTC (Automated Gate Traffic Control) communicates over an FTL channel with its other end - requesting status from the endpoint. The endpoint replies with a flag signal - the flags are CONGESTED/DENY. A "CONGESTED" will trigger a queue mechanism on the other end ordering a ship to wait. Used in the event of router saturation (take Jita on busy days, as an example) or a malfunction, a DENY flag can be broadcast - restricting the ship from jumping at all.

Should the endpoint not reply at all, the signal is repeated with the so-called "WAKE" flag set - often seen when a stargate has not seen traffic over a period of time and has entered a standby or auto-maintenance mode. This signal initiates an automatic startup routine, and AGTC communication resumes.

Once the sending stargate acknowledges the status of its peer (A reply without the CONGESTED/DENY flags set is known as ALL-CLEAR signal) it will request a CISC code (CONCORD Identification Serial Code) from the ship in order to clear it for a jump. The CISC is then transmitted to the endpoint stargate and a jump procedure is started.

Upon its completion, the endpoint gate requests CISC from the inbound ship and matches it to the one received from its peer gate in order to verify that the correct ship has arrived. At this stage, the inbound ship is scanned and its parameters matched with those broadcast by the initiating gate - ensuring that the transfer was safe.

In short, the gate talks to its other side, and the incoming ship.

Now, you may ask where exactly does this particular information get us. I have mentioned already that certain stargates date quite a long way back - but they've been modified and updated numerous times over the years to improve reliability. There remained, however, a derelict located within Metropolis - in the Ani constellation, formerly a home to the Nefantar Tribe, among the Sleeper ruins scattered throughout.

After an extensive search, a few talks with the Angel Cartel and one raid we were able to recover a part of the Traun Derelict that contains its communication unit. Basing on the initial survey - it can be used as a base of the Heliograph.

(A hypothetical, simulated reconstruction of the Traun remains can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2229vqyz0wrxl/gate%20link.png?dl=0 )

To sum things up:

- The Heliograph will utilize a communication core salvaged from a derelict Sleeper portal. It is presumed a derelict Sleeper portal until archaeological evidence confirms otherwise. The core is currently located in Nein, as seen on the attached picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb3g1ekj7fg7fa6/helio_base.png?dl=0
- Since all communication nodes will be powered, at least one - as we presume - will attempt a connection with the router equivalent, and the other with the receiving portal. Since there is no way to determine which of the three links is connected where, all three are going to be used.
- Base components of the structure are undergoing assembly in Nein.
- Work on data encoding is still ongoing
- A connectionless protocol will be employed

The question, I guess, is "what now".

The Phase One has been completed with success - we are moving onward to the construction of the Heliograph, and ironing out the final details. Phase Two is now officially in effect.

There are things that still remain unresolved, and any assistance would be appreciated. Therefore, the Arek'Jaalan Project puts out a call for technically-minded pilots to aid in this field - especially, determining the encoding.

Those who wish to know more, I invite to sign up for the "Arek'Jaalan" mailing list if they already have not - details will be published through that very channel.

For the outstanding contribution to our effort in shining the light of discovery upon the darkness of the unknown, Arek'Jaalan thanks the following pilots:

Bagrat Skalski
Jocca Quinn
Crystal Chantreuse
Veskin Sentinel
Borascus
EdXell
Viriel

Were I a high-and-mighty CONCORD official, I'd officially pin a ribbon to your chests. Alas, I'm not a high-and-mighty CONCORD official, and my gifts can at most be symbollic in nature - they are waiting for you in the Jita hangars.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Veskin Sentinel
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2016-02-09 13:16:29 UTC
Glad to hear that things are going forward!

The second phase looks very interesting from a technical point of view. Well some skeptical pilots would assume that there is too much risk and that we're tampering with technology we may not completely understand, but I am confident that there will be good results. There is risk involved, but that is much better than just sitting and watching as the conflict goes on.

I will gladly help however I can.

Thanks for the gift, made me very happy! :)

www.veskin7.blogspot.com - my EVE related blog.

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2016-02-09 19:45:38 UTC
I am glad, it's the least I could do.

To address a potential concern: yes, this technology is not exactly a field anyone could feel confident in. It serves as a grim reminder of how many secrets have remained buried right on our doorstep. Yes, it's a leap into the unknown.

And yes - we will still take it.

Utari Onzo
Escalated.
OnlyFleets.
#4 - 2016-02-09 20:05:01 UTC
Good luck in your ongoing research. I wish I could help, but I suppose my skills in flying ships and analysing rocks and soil samples would be rather useless.

"Face the enemy as a solid wall For faith is your armor And through it, the enemy will find no breach Wrap your arms around the enemy For faith is your fire And with it, burn away his evil"

EdXell
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-02-09 22:52:46 UTC
I'm glad I could help with this. Let me know if I can help with phase 2. I'm not exactly an expert in sleeper communication protocols but I'll help out where I can.
Samantha Calderon
Heavenly Forge
#6 - 2016-02-10 04:34:38 UTC
Congratulations in your efforts Trii Seo, and all the rest of Arek`Jaalan.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is that ship called "derelect Runner"? it looks like a Dramiel.

Wherever I May Roam: Blog sobre EVE Online en castellano!

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2016-02-10 07:26:41 UTC
It is a Dramiel, yes.

Corraidhin Farsaidh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-02-10 11:59:13 UTC
I have various science skills that could be of use to you, contact me if you would like my assistance.
Ridha Shakir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2016-02-10 13:14:37 UTC
I missed the first phase or I could have provided a few Sleeper items from your list. If logistical help or extra eyes/scanners/probes are needed for phase two I'd gladly offer assistance.