These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Skill extractors should be free

First post
Author
Phapma Tearial
Doomheim
#21 - 2016-02-06 13:28:30 UTC
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Phapma Tearial wrote:
Actually, acquiring skill points is a core game mechanic.

And EVE's 'expansions' are hardly equivalent to those of other MMOs. There is probably more content in one World of Warcraft expansion than has been added to EVE Online since its release.

I do agree with you on the AUR prices though.

I specifically mentioned the SP trading system as not being a core game mechanic. Not skill points themselves. Also, the core game mechanic of getting SP is the training queue, rather.

Also if you think WoW has more content in one expansion than the entirety of EVE than you're playing EVE wrong, friend.

Well I don't want to drag this off topic too much, but Blizzard put more 'stuff' into the game in one expansion than CCP has ever put into their game. Not really a criticism, just my observation Smile Exodus was a biggie, and Trinity gave us more ships, then we got incursions and better character creation. But I feel none of it equates to the sheer amount of work that goes into creating traditional MMO raids and questing zones. I suppose it's like Blizzard gives us rooms filled with paintings, and CCP give us the canvas and the paint Big smile

Yo ho ho, it's off to Doomheim I go!

Thorian Baalnorn
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2016-02-06 13:29:13 UTC
Phapma Tearial wrote:
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:
We already pay a subscription fee, this feature should be included in that fee.

I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high, if anything they shouldnt cost more than 100 AUR if anything at all, way to announce a cool feature only to put it behind a giant price tag CCP...

lolwat.

The SP trading system is an optional feature, like ship SKINs, that you can use and spend some extra cash on if you want. It's not a core game mechanic, so it's not part of your subscription. Subscription goes into expansions and making the game better. EVE is the only game where subsciption profits actually go into expansions: I have never had to pay for an expansion of EVE, whereas other MMO's dish expacs out every year for around €40,-

The system of SP trading is fair. The cost though, with current AUR package costs (€5,- = 900 AUR, one extractor = 999 AUR), is just cheeky to say the least.

Actually, acquiring skill points is a core game mechanic.

And EVE's 'expansions' are hardly equivalent to those of other MMOs. There is probably more content in one World of Warcraft expansion than has been added to EVE Online since its release.

I do agree with you on the AUR prices though.

I cant believe you are comparing WoW to EvE. Thats like comparing a Ford Focus to a Ferrari Spider in terms of quality. Give me a graphics artist and animator and i could build those WoW XPacks at the rate of 1 every six months. Those are not that hard to build, they have no substance. And its not like they attempt to balance their game. There are huge gaps in strength and abilities between every xpack. Grinding a max level dungeon, new xpack comes out, you get you some new green armor maybe a couple of blue pieces and now your soloing that dungeon that you needed a group for before the xpack. That game is terrible. My dog has a bigger skill list than their classes. And the progression is 100% linear but made to feel like an open vast world.

Ill take quality of quantity and substance over flash, thanks.

Acquiring skills is a core mechanic. Acquiring game skill points at an accelerated rate is not.

Sometimes you are the squirrel and sometimes you are the nut. Today, you are the nut and the squirrel is hungry.

Phapma Tearial
Doomheim
#23 - 2016-02-06 13:35:01 UTC
Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
I cant believe you are comparing WoW to EvE. Thats like comparing a Ford Focus to a Ferrari Spider in terms of quality. Give me a graphics artist and animator and i could build those WoW XPacks at the rate of 1 every six months. Those are not that hard to build, they have no substance. And its not like they attempt to balance their game. There are huge gaps in strength and abilities between every xpack. Grinding a max level dungeon, new xpack comes out, you get you some new green armor maybe a couple of blue pieces and now your soloing that dungeon that you needed a group for before the xpack. That game is terrible. My dog has a bigger skill list than their classes. And the progression is 100% linear but made to feel like an open vast world.

Ill take quality of quantity and substance over flash, thanks.

Acquiring skills is a core mechanic. Acquiring game skill points at an accelerated rate is not.

Actually it was someone else who tried to equate EVE's expansions with those of other MMOs. I was actually describing how they are not the same.

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

Yo ho ho, it's off to Doomheim I go!

ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#24 - 2016-02-06 13:39:32 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
Funny how the yay sayers slowly start catching up to the fact that this is not about giving players the ability to move SP around.

On topic - making them free would only make it even worse and defeat the (true) purpose.

As i said in the first dev blog about this, trust CCP to **** it up for themselfs anyhow with taking to much money for it Lol

Personally i hate this feature, so im quite happy with the price. And it will deffo not **** up normal char sales.

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.

Nuclear Nut Zack
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2016-02-06 13:43:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Nuclear Nut Zack
Completely free seems a bit off. There should definitely be a price on them, but let's look at the percentages here: Let's say the average character sold on the bazaar goes for 15 bil and the transfer fee is paid in PLEX. At a PLEX price of 1.25 bil, that means 16.67% goes to CCP. On the other hand, if the average character goes for 20 bil and the transfer is paid in money, that works out to 6.5% for CCP.

Now let's look at the price of skill extractors in a very conservative way: Let's say extractors go for $4 and PLEX for $20. At 2000SP/hour (so the SP has a high value) you get about 1.44 mil per month, so let's just say it takes 1/3 PLEX of training to fill an extractor. That works out to each injector costing 1/3 PLEX for SP and 1/5 PLEX for the extractor. That comes out to 37.5% of the transaction going to CCP, and that's pretty much the bare minimum where the extractors are obtained at the ideal price and the SP comes at a relatively high price. The percentage is more like 45-55% with more ideal training methods.

See the problem? If anything the cost should be a little lower than the character bazaar to ensure a healthy market develops. Even if they were free CCP would eventually come out ahead in the end due to SP being lost in the injection process. I'd say a price of about 120 each and 100 in bulk would be reasonable, but the current prices will completely destroy most of the potential use and market for SP packets.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#26 - 2016-02-06 14:07:19 UTC
They should never have done it.

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#27 - 2016-02-06 14:32:23 UTC
ArmyOfMe wrote:
As i said in the first dev blog about this, trust CCP to **** it up for themselfs anyhow with taking to much money for it Lol

Personally i hate this feature, so im quite happy with the price. And it will deffo not **** up normal char sales.

Yup. The amount of whinging that has come out of this so far only suggests that they almost turned this travesty into a good thing. I mean, the idea is still idiotic and the reasons for implementing it were (predictably) complete bunk, but at least it has come to generate some comedy. Lol
Mithandra
B.O.P Supplication For Glorious
Dracarys.
#28 - 2016-02-06 15:49:59 UTC
They should not be free.

If they were , people would farm thier own alts with no penalty. You would be able to move points around willy nilly, totally defeating the skillpoint system already in place.

Eve is the dark haired, totally hot emo gothchild of the gaming community

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#29 - 2016-02-06 16:41:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Tippia wrote:
ArmyOfMe wrote:

Yup. The amount of whinging that has come out of this so far only suggests that they almost turned this travesty into a good thing. I mean, the idea is still idiotic and the reasons for implementing it were (predictably) complete bunk, but at least it has come to generate some comedy. Lol

Just a bit of commentary here. It's like a bad episode of Battlestar Galactica ie "This has happened before, it will happen again" lol.

CCP come up with some idea and even go so far as to suggest that it is for new people/the small guys/ groups, whatever. Many Veterans and Established players (having been through this before) see right through it the 1st second the idea is posted. And we say so.

Others (either newish players who lack the context of past experience or the more naïve/idealistic/unrealistic types among the veterans) look at the idea and foolishly think it's going to work as intended, and throw their support behind it in the form of snarky "you bitter vets are gonna get it now" posts.

The Vets/Established with some common sense and a touch less personal greed try to explain to these people that not only will this idea NOT help new players, in Fine Malcanian Fashion, it will enrich US (the folks who have been here for a while) and make the gaps between old and new, rich and poor, big group and little group even wider than they were before.

But people like this never listen, and they are SURE that the opposition comes from people who 'just don't like change'.

I almost feel a bit guilty when I see the obvious results of these things (like who people were sure as hell that Dominion sov was going to stick it to the 'big cartels' and let the little guy into null sec, when all it ended up doing was let the little guy RENT his way into null while his isk found it's way into big group's wallets lol). I mean, it's like laughing at that 'special kid' in school who got off that special bus every day, when the reality is that he couldn't help being special, any more than these Naïve types can help their lack of common sense or wisdom.
Rust Trucker
Doomheim
#30 - 2016-02-06 16:59:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Rust Trucker
Nuclear Nut Zack wrote:
Completely free seems a bit off. There should definitely be a price on them, but let's look at the percentages here: Let's say the average character sold on the bazaar goes for 15 bil and the transfer fee is paid in PLEX. At a PLEX price of 1.25 bil, that means 16.67% goes to CCP. On the other hand, if the average character goes for 20 bil and the transfer is paid in money, that works out to 6.5% for CCP.

Now let's look at the price of skill extractors in a very conservative way: Let's say extractors go for $4 and PLEX for $20. At 2000SP/hour (so the SP has a high value) you get about 1.44 mil per month, so let's just say it takes 1/3 PLEX of training to fill an extractor. That works out to each injector costing 1/3 PLEX for SP and 1/5 PLEX for the extractor. That comes out to 37.5% of the transaction going to CCP, and that's pretty much the bare minimum where the extractors are obtained at the ideal price and the SP comes at a relatively high price. The percentage is more like 45-55% with more ideal training methods.

See the problem? If anything the cost should be a little lower than the character bazaar to ensure a healthy market develops. Even if they were free CCP would eventually come out ahead in the end due to SP being lost in the injection process. I'd say a price of about 120 each and 100 in bulk would be reasonable, but the current prices will completely destroy most of the potential use and market for SP packets.

This was more of how i was thinking when i first posted, me saying it should be free was just my knee jerk reaction after seeing the price. The skill points were already paid for, now its going to alot more money to move the skill points we already paid for and end up with less ,which I am totally fine with dimishing returns and less skill points out of it. But when this feature was announced i was hoping it would be a way to transfer skill points at a decent price.

With the way CCP has priced aurum you actually have to end with paying more than you would want to for a certain amount of skill injectors aswell.

My problem is not with the feature itself but with the price, say you where to spend 100 usd, you honestly dont end up with alot of sp ( that was already paid for with someones subscription ) Now because of this instead of spending up to 100-200 bucks on this feature im not going to use it at all, i think alot of people will buy a couple to fix their skill sheet to get rid of mining skills and crap on their combat characters but after that at these prices, not so much.
Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#31 - 2016-02-06 17:31:54 UTC
I hope everyone eventually gets their feet back on the ground and realizes this injector/extractor thing is just a bad idea. As in all bad ideas the reasons it's bad are so numerous it's moot. Why it's a good idea? One or two...CCP has something (else) to sell. Players can juke the system. Putting the two plusses in boldfaced caps doesn't make them more than the negs.

I really couldn't believe it when I heard someone on a payroll actually dreamed this up and kept his/her job.

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#32 - 2016-02-06 17:49:44 UTC
The problem with the "for the new player" angle is just how expensive these things are going to be. There is the inject aur price, then there is going to be the billions of isk price of the skills. New players simply aren't going to be able to afford it without buying plex.

It will help old players establish focused alts quickly though.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Boom Boom Longtime
EVE Corporation 6908469858
Heroes and Villains.
#33 - 2016-02-06 18:01:15 UTC
CCP remind me of Augustus Gloop in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory - and we all know what happened to him.

Concord Approved Trader

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#34 - 2016-02-06 18:51:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Boom Boom Longtime wrote:
CCP remind me of Augustus Gloop in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory - and we all know what happened to him.
Who's this 'we' to which you refer?

Half the people reading that don't even know who Willy Wonka is without using Google.

Mr Epeen Cool
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#35 - 2016-02-06 19:36:37 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:
I can understand CCP as a company wanting to make money off of this somehow...

...I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high
Pick door A or pick door B. You can only pick one, not both.

If it doesn't provide the revenue CCP are seeking, then I'm sure they'll adjust the price.

However, if I was crystal balling, I'd say this is only part of a larger revenue restructuring and that the game will move to a hybrid model, where people can subscribe and earn skillpoints as they sleep (like now), or play free but buy skillpoints from other players in order to gain levels.

Just a hunch, but seems like the direction this is going; in which case the price is perfectly reasonable.

Glad to see that i'm not the only one thinking that. Every since I saw a CCP developer happy with more activity in the server versus more population, things have been slowly falling into place so CCP can earn more money from players "doing stuff" than "entering the servers".

Monetizing activity is the key to the F2P door. And then, CCP just bought a oversized server to replace TQ2. If your neighbor changes his car for a bus, it's obvious that he plans to fill it. And nothing that CCP has said points at a chance of a surge in new players.

Yes, it's a hunch so far. Intuition in lieu of enough data. And the consequences would be so dramatic that I've been making up my mind for the first stage -F2Pdemographics. I don't want to think of the next stage, F2P burnout and death. That still is years away.

And maybe CCP will just not go F2P after all. Maybe the insufficent data hides a key to go back to population growth in some way I couldn't imagine.

But chances are low. Because any "magic key" CCP could have, would have been used 2 years ago when they ended up firing 20% of their employees.
Boom Boom Longtime
Heroes and Villains.
#36 - 2016-02-06 19:50:19 UTC
I just wonder what "exciting new features" they might come up with next to shamelessly milk more cash out of the playerbase udders before the cow can yield no more.

Concord Approved Trader

Alea
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2016-02-06 22:05:24 UTC
I just wonder what "exciting new features" they might come up with next to shamelessly milk more cash out of the playerbase udders before the cow can yield no more.

Be thankful CCP went for the deep gouge instead of making a more logical business model for SP trading, with the deep gouge method a path to free to play or a blatant pay to win Eve was pushed back just a tad bit further.

Whomever is making the last few years decisions on what changes are to be implemented in this game, must hate Eve with all their being.

Boom Boom Longtime
Heroes and Villains.
#38 - 2016-02-06 23:17:27 UTC
Alea wrote:

Be thankful CCP went for the deep gouge instead of making a more logical business model for SP trading, with the deep gouge method a path to free to play or a blatant pay to win Eve was pushed back just a tad bit further.

CCP Alt?

Concord Approved Trader

Alea
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2016-02-06 23:24:18 UTC
Alea wrote:

CCP Alt?

How does bashing CCP make me a CCP alt.?

Whomever is making the last few years decisions on what changes are to be implemented in this game, must hate Eve with all their being.

Boom Boom Longtime
Heroes and Villains.
#40 - 2016-02-06 23:30:16 UTC
Alea wrote:
Alea wrote:

CCP Alt?

How does bashing CCP make me a CCP alt.?

I'm drunk toots so i apologise - i guess the common ground being ccp on their shameless cash grab from the playerbase in a game that is subscription based.

Not sure what avenue they might find to milk more exciting new features for real life cash next, skins, sp for cash - surely the barrel is running dry? Maybe not...

Concord Approved Trader