These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Skill extractors should be free

First post
Author
Rust Trucker
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-02-06 02:19:42 UTC
We already pay a subscription fee, this feature should be included in that fee.

I recently used hours for plex to start playing again in anticipation of the feature, id love to melt down one of my 100m sp characters and create a fresh new one with the skills i want, of course with a lower amount of sp due to drawbacks.

I can understand CCP as a company wanting to make money off of this somehow but the prices they are asking are WAY too much. It cost over 800 bucks to transfer the skills from a 100m sp character.

I just thrown off now by this and my excitement about creating a new character with a nice chunk of skills ( that i spent years training myself ) is gone.

I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high, if anything they shouldnt cost more than 100 AUR if anything at all, way to announce a cool feature only to put it behind a giant price tag CCP...
Memphis Baas
#2 - 2016-02-06 02:21:12 UTC
Yeah, they should just charge for the skill injectors, it makes more sense. 999 AUR to inject.
Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2016-02-06 02:25:18 UTC
Funny how the yay sayers slowly start catching up to the fact that this is not about giving players the ability to move SP around.

On topic - making them free would only make it even worse and defeat the (true) purpose.
Maekchu
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-02-06 02:26:44 UTC
They should just pay me for spending my time, playing this game!

Don't they know HOW MUCH MY TIME IS WORTH!?

I demand CCP to reimburse all my money spent on this game, OTHERWISE I will unsubscribe my 21 accounts!

DON'T TEST ME CCP!
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#5 - 2016-02-06 03:46:24 UTC
Rust Trucker wrote:
I can understand CCP as a company wanting to make money off of this somehow...

...I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high
Pick door A or pick door B. You can only pick one, not both.

If it doesn't provide the revenue CCP are seeking, then I'm sure they'll adjust the price.

However, if I was crystal balling, I'd say this is only part of a larger revenue restructuring and that the game will move to a hybrid model, where people can subscribe and earn skillpoints as they sleep (like now), or play free but buy skillpoints from other players in order to gain levels.

Just a hunch, but seems like the direction this is going; in which case the price is perfectly reasonable.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#6 - 2016-02-06 04:56:10 UTC
Rust Trucker wrote:
And you pay extra for extra services such as character transfers. $20.00 or two PLEX.

Extractors are an extra service. You don't need them to play. You get them because you are lazy and impatient to build your characters faster.

They definitely shouldn't be free. That makes no sense.

Mr Epeen Cool
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2016-02-06 05:08:33 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:
I can understand CCP as a company wanting to make money off of this somehow...

...I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high
Pick door A or pick door B. You can only pick one, not both.

If it doesn't provide the revenue CCP are seeking, then I'm sure they'll adjust the price.

However, if I was crystal balling, I'd say this is only part of a larger revenue restructuring and that the game will move to a hybrid model, where people can subscribe and earn skillpoints as they sleep (like now), or play free but buy skillpoints from other players in order to gain levels.

Just a hunch, but seems like the direction this is going; in which case the price is perfectly reasonable.

Oh nice. Future F2P is an interesting angle.
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2016-02-06 05:09:28 UTC
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#9 - 2016-02-06 05:09:37 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:
And you pay extra for extra services such as character transfers. $20.00 or two PLEX.

Extractors are an extra service. You don't need them to play. You get them because you are lazy and impatient to build your characters faster.

Mr Epeen Cool

That rust guy should be in-game shot for making me agree with the Peen.

But this (the reaction to the pricing) is why I speak of entitlement . It doesn't matter to some that there is a reason something isn't free (free injectors would do nothing but increase to profits of folks who are going to farm and harvest SP, like I'm now considering doing), all that matters to them is what they want, and what they think others owe them, and damn the consequences.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#10 - 2016-02-06 05:19:07 UTC
Choices have consequences.... I like that its working as intended even here. You can spend time and effort making choices or pay a premium for instant gratification where the price is equivalent to the time and effort the other way.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Tavari Minrathos
PC Load Letter
#11 - 2016-02-06 07:59:41 UTC
just because you want them to be free, doesn't mean that they should be free.

Development time went into Skill extractors. testing time went into this.

Its an additional service that I'm thrilled to have in the game. And the price point is low enough that i expect to see this feature actually used.
Joel Vaille
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-02-06 08:02:59 UTC
They should pay me to use injectors.

Come on these things aren't even expensive. I spent months training for bombers just for the missions to change on me and become impossible with even tech 2 launchers javs and a faction mwd. Now that's some bs. A little over 5$ for an extractor isn't that bad.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#13 - 2016-02-06 08:05:57 UTC
Joel Vaille
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2016-02-06 08:09:06 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Your proposition OP Its outragous!

CCP should pay us for playing the game. Twisted

Yea how else can I afford to play this game. Time=money. Ccplz
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#15 - 2016-02-06 09:19:22 UTC
Skill extractors should not be free.
Skill extractors should not exist.
flakeys
Doomheim
#16 - 2016-02-06 09:45:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:

Mr Epeen Cool

That rust guy should be in-game shot for making me agree with the Peen.

But this (the reaction to the pricing) is why I speak of entitlement . It doesn't matter to some that there is a reason something isn't free (free injectors would do nothing but increase to profits of folks who are going to farm and harvest SP, like I'm now considering doing), all that matters to them is what they want, and what they think others owe them, and damn the consequences.

Problem is people usually see it as a 'need to aquire' not a 'luxury to aquire'.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Dibz
Doomheim
#17 - 2016-02-06 12:24:03 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:

But it's not the situation we have at the moment, and therefore I feel the price is unreasonable.

I don't believe the extractors should be free, but I am disappointed that CCP should make it so expensive to transfer SP that you have already paid to earn between your own characters.
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#18 - 2016-02-06 12:37:40 UTC
Rust Trucker wrote:

I just feel that since we already pay a monthly fee, there is no reason for prices to be this high, if anything they shouldnt cost more than 100 AUR if anything at all, way to announce a cool feature only to put it behind a giant price tag CCP...

lolwat.

The SP trading system is an optional feature, like ship SKINs, that you can use and spend some extra cash on if you want. It's not a core game mechanic, so it's not part of your subscription. Subscription goes into expansions and making the game better. EVE is the only game where subsciption profits actually go into expansions: I have never had to pay for an expansion of EVE, whereas other MMO's dish expacs out every year for around €40,-

The system of SP trading is fair. The cost though, with current AUR package costs (€5,- = 900 AUR, one extractor = 999 AUR), is just cheeky to say the least.

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

Phapma Tearial
Doomheim
#19 - 2016-02-06 12:51:49 UTC
Jarsoom Blade wrote:
Rust Trucker wrote:

lolwat.

The SP trading system is an optional feature, like ship SKINs, that you can use and spend some extra cash on if you want. It's not a core game mechanic, so it's not part of your subscription. Subscription goes into expansions and making the game better. EVE is the only game where subsciption profits actually go into expansions: I have never had to pay for an expansion of EVE, whereas other MMO's dish expacs out every year for around €40,-

The system of SP trading is fair. The cost though, with current AUR package costs (€5,- = 900 AUR, one extractor = 999 AUR), is just cheeky to say the least.

Actually, acquiring skill points is a core game mechanic.

And EVE's 'expansions' are hardly equivalent to those of other MMOs. There is probably more content in one World of Warcraft expansion than has been added to EVE Online since its release.

I do agree with you on the AUR prices though.

Yo ho ho, it's off to Doomheim I go!

Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#20 - 2016-02-06 13:09:56 UTC
Phapma Tearial wrote:
Actually, acquiring skill points is a core game mechanic.

And EVE's 'expansions' are hardly equivalent to those of other MMOs. There is probably more content in one World of Warcraft expansion than has been added to EVE Online since its release.

I do agree with you on the AUR prices though.

I specifically mentioned the SP trading system as not being a core game mechanic. Not skill points themselves. Also, the core game mechanic of getting SP is the training queue, rather.

Also if you think WoW has more content in one expansion than the entirety of EVE than you're playing EVE wrong, friend.

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

123Next pageLast page