These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Gentlemen, it appears a port of DUST has been officially announced

First post
Author
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#61 - 2016-02-04 17:31:46 UTC
Just waiting for my suspicion that Dust mercs will share our market and have the option to extract, trade, and inject SP like capsuleers will.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Hector Riley
Incorruptibles
#62 - 2016-02-04 17:44:57 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Just waiting for my suspicion that Dust mercs will share our market and have the option to extract, trade, and inject SP like capsuleers will.
On launch? Heavens no. I don't think much Eve connection will exist at all for the first year of Dust (PC)'s existence.

They want to make the core game decent before solidifying the connection to Eve.
Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#63 - 2016-02-04 17:48:27 UTC
Diametrix wrote:
Cat Troll wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:
I'm amazed Dust lasted 3 years to be honest. 3 years ago everyone told CCP that releasing a free to play FPS tied into an arbitrary space game that no-one in your target audience has ever heard of was a bad idea. The concept of Dust is solid, but it should have been a PC title from the start. I have never understood the decision to go with the Playstation exclusively. It made no sense then, it makes no sense today. Hopefully Legion or whatever it's going to be called will do a lot better.

Its failure wasn't due to the PS3.
It was actually incredibly popular for what it was, beating quite a few PC F2P game averages for a while. Probably because the PS3 didn't have many F2P alternatives compared to the saturated PC market.

Problem is, it wasn't much. The game was horribly mismanaged, and that would be true regardless of platform. The dev leads had no place being where they were. Hopefully this time around CCP Rouge and CCP Rattati will set things straight.

Respectfully, Cat Merc, the problem was mostly the PS3 but, prior to the wedding Dust's mismanagement did complicate its development.

But let's be honest, the hardware is the problem. It's not the console as a market that's the problem - it was specifically the PS3 and its very limited capacity (and end of lifecycle support by Sony). The game could never do what they wanted and it took Rattati's very adept creativity to make it live on, flourish a bit and stay 'profitable'.

But, now...as was foretold...from Dust we came and to dust we shall return. And sleep again...for a time...

But New Eden should not feel so safe. O' capsuleers, so smug and snug inside your precious pods encased in violent shells. For we shall wake. And when we do we will be closer to you than ever before. No longer held safe, at 'arm's length' inside these gravity wells - no.

When we wake it will be the Capsuleers that ferry the Clones amongst the stars. Drey animals. Beasts of Burden. A fitting turn.

Good Nite Dust514,

Until the Dawn

I don't think you understand just how deeply the mismanagement goes.

CCP Rattati straight up said this studio was an absolute wreck.

Lolwut: "Yes, you kids don't know how lucky you have it. These days noobs get given free tackle ships for PvP but back in the old days the only tackle ships we were given were our pods. We had to use them to bump their rookie ships out of alignment to stop them warping off."

Camios
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#64 - 2016-02-04 20:08:15 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Camios wrote:
I just hope that the new Dust on PC will have much more interaction with EVE. Of course having it on PC means that every time you need some foot on the ground, you will have the possibility to jump out of your spaceship and take a rifle. You won't need another 200$ piece of equipment.
Doesn't really mattter, it's dead from the starting line. CCP don't really have a good track record of producing high quality products (in comparison with AAA titles), and now they are going to throw in a game competing with PC first person shooters? Good luck with that one. I reckon it will be quietly killed off at some point down the line before it gets released.


This might as well be true.

Actually, if you think about it twice, we didn't get an announcement of a new game. We got an announcement of the dead of DUST 514, and in order to make the pill less bitter, a statement about a game they would be developing. With a promise to show something at fanfest. Nothing real, perhaps. Let's see at fanfest.

On the other hand, in these years CCP has matured and acquired skills in the FPS genre.
It would be stupid to let all this go away, It could be more convenient than developing a game for other 3+ years.
Who knows.


MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#65 - 2016-02-05 00:46:24 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Just waiting for my suspicion that Dust mercs will share our market and have the option to extract, trade, and inject SP like capsuleers will.

Seriously, that's what I want most.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#66 - 2016-02-05 02:54:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ibutho Inkosi
Lucas Kell wrote:
Ibutho Inkosi wrote:
Yes. It did fail 'cause it was ONLY on Playstation. Good luck with an enterprise like that. Big smile
So all playstation exclusives fail? That's news to me. It failed because it was badly built, badly marketed and incredibly generic. The original appeal was the tie in with EVE and the orbital bombardments, but they didn't make that important enough in EVE to get a good flow between the two, so it went from being an accessory game for EVE to being a standalone shooter, which it was not good enough to be.
So...go ahead and make a leap in logic. It doesn't matter if I said what you say I said, does it? Noooooooo.... Your infallible brain ran that algorithm so it MUST be true! Way to go!
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Just waiting for my suspicion that Dust mercs will share our market and have the option to extract, trade, and inject SP like capsuleers will.
Way to use your enviable position to nail down the facts on this. I'm sure glad you didn't tell us you mentioned your view to anyone of significance. Then, I'd have to admit the CSM serves a function useful to anyone other than themselves!

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Zirashi
Cyclical Destruction
#67 - 2016-02-05 03:34:40 UTC
So where is the port announcement? All I'm seeing is a shutdown.

A port would be if they took DUST, nearly unchanged, and let you play it on another console/PC. At no point in that post did they say that. In fact, he says the exact opposite and states they are creating something entirely new "from scratch." That's not a port, that's essentially a new IP. Heck, he doesn't even explicitly say it's coming to PC.
MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#68 - 2016-02-05 04:18:13 UTC
Zirashi wrote:
So where is the port announcement? All I'm seeing is a shutdown.

A port would be if they took DUST, nearly unchanged, and let you play it on another console/PC. At no point in that post did they say that. In fact, he says the exact opposite and states they are creating something entirely new "from scratch." That's not a port, that's essentially a new IP. Heck, he doesn't even explicitly say it's coming to PC.

We've been over that. In this case a port is the core concept of the game being redone and moved to a new platform, not the game itself being moved.

Also if you look at the post on their forums it explicitly says PC.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#69 - 2016-02-05 08:52:48 UTC
Ibutho Inkosi wrote:
So...go ahead and make a leap in logic. It doesn't matter if I said what you say I said, does it? Noooooooo.... Your infallible brain ran that algorithm so it MUST be true! Way to go!
IF that's not what you were saying, then you missed out the whole chunk about what you think the real reason for it failing is. You see, you said it failed because it was only on PlayStation. If that in itself is the reason for failure (as you state) then all PS exclusives must fail as they all have the same flaw. If however you are now saying that other PS exclusives don't fail, then the reason for it failing can't be because it was only on the playstation. There are no giant leaps here, only basic logical steps. So calm down friend.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

tasman devil
Puritans
We want your ISK
#70 - 2016-02-05 12:10:02 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Just waiting for my suspicion that Dust mercs will share our market and have the option to extract, trade, and inject SP like capsuleers will.

Since I have no DUST account I reply to you (and actually this is an open call to everyone who can bring this message to the DUST devs):

I honestly hope that you consider sending DUST off in true EVE fashion: swallowed in flames but not darkness.
Initiate RAGNARÖK!!
Attention

On the last week or the last day (24 hours) give every account max skills and 1B ISK!
Let them gear up and fight!
Fight 'till the last bullet!
'Till the last man!
'Till the servers are up!

Please, as a fellow EVE player I ask you: let DUST go out in a BANG!

AttentionBearAttention

I don't belive in reincarnation I've never believed in it in my previous lives either...

Reiisha
#71 - 2016-02-05 12:35:35 UTC
Cat Troll wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
I always knew it would be PC exclusive.

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.

I really do hope people appreciate the community that was on consoles. It was dedicated and passionate, no less than the EVE community. With this move many of them will sadly be left behind, but please I do hope you all understand how vital their existence was for us to get to this moment.

DUST 514 didn't fail just because it was on PS3, contrary to popular belief. The studio was completely mismanaged. This means that even if the game was to release on PC, it would be a disaster in the first place. Thanks to the PS3 version however, you can be assured that the team behind it knows what they're doing, and understand the mistakes of the past.


Trust in our lords and saviors CCP Rattati and CCP Rouge.


Honestly, publishing a game with such a niche appeal while the release of the next console was already in sight was always a bad idea. The PS3 was tapering off, and after the launch of the PS4 the online part of the platform started dying off very quickly, as expected. Given that Sony put 0 marketing or sales behind the PS3 after the announcement of the PS4... Trying to gain a new crowd of customers on a platform which was receiving zero love from it's creator was a futile effort.

Dust was never a big success, and while much of it can be attributed to 'just' Sony or CCP, you can't deny that publishing an online only, complex, PS3 only shooter so late in the console's life was always a bad idea. Dust was never a big success (i don't think it even made any profit whatsoever).

Time will tell if this new version will redeem the idea, or whether it will be too little, too late.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#72 - 2016-02-05 13:39:59 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Cat Troll wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
I always knew it would be PC exclusive.

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.

I really do hope people appreciate the community that was on consoles. It was dedicated and passionate, no less than the EVE community. With this move many of them will sadly be left behind, but please I do hope you all understand how vital their existence was for us to get to this moment.

DUST 514 didn't fail just because it was on PS3, contrary to popular belief. The studio was completely mismanaged. This means that even if the game was to release on PC, it would be a disaster in the first place. Thanks to the PS3 version however, you can be assured that the team behind it knows what they're doing, and understand the mistakes of the past.


Trust in our lords and saviors CCP Rattati and CCP Rouge.


Honestly, publishing a game with such a niche appeal while the release of the next console was already in sight was always a bad idea. The PS3 was tapering off, and after the launch of the PS4 the online part of the platform started dying off very quickly, as expected. Given that Sony put 0 marketing or sales behind the PS3 after the announcement of the PS4... Trying to gain a new crowd of customers on a platform which was receiving zero love from it's creator was a futile effort.

Dust was never a big success, and while much of it can be attributed to 'just' Sony or CCP, you can't deny that publishing an online only, complex, PS3 only shooter so late in the console's life was always a bad idea. Dust was never a big success (i don't think it even made any profit whatsoever).

Time will tell if this new version will redeem the idea, or whether it will be too little, too late.

They should have waited for the PS4, yes.

You should have seen the Forums after the PS4 reveal that year. At least half a dozen threads held the front page for days all trying to entreat CCP Shanghai to just wait and release the game with more content on the PS4.

I mean, we were cautioning them to wait before then based on the assumption we'd be hearing about a new console soon, but after it was revealed it ramped up quite a bit.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#73 - 2016-02-05 21:31:31 UTC
Holy ******* ****.

Now I am even more hyped than I previously was for Fanfest 2016.
MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#74 - 2016-02-06 03:02:35 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
Holy ******* ****.

Now I am even more hyped than I previously was for Fanfest 2016.

As am I!

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#75 - 2016-02-06 03:05:39 UTC
Cat Troll wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
I always knew it would be PC exclusive.

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.




what do you mean unbearable? the cheers were amazing

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#76 - 2016-02-06 03:11:57 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Cat Troll wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:
I always knew it would be PC exclusive.

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.




what do you mean unbearable? the cheers were amazing

The Twitch chat was full of people yelling "PC MASTER RACE" and telling the PS3 community we weren't worth CCP's time and we deserved to have the game taken away from us with nothing given back.

Basically.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Rain6637
NulzSec
#77 - 2016-02-06 05:13:51 UTC
Rain6637
NulzSec
#78 - 2016-02-06 05:14:38 UTC
Zirashi
Cyclical Destruction
#79 - 2016-02-06 05:50:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Zirashi
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Zirashi wrote:
So where is the port announcement? All I'm seeing is a shutdown.

A port would be if they took DUST, nearly unchanged, and let you play it on another console/PC. At no point in that post did they say that. In fact, he says the exact opposite and states they are creating something entirely new "from scratch." That's not a port, that's essentially a new IP. Heck, he doesn't even explicitly say it's coming to PC.

We've been over that. In this case a port is the core concept of the game being redone and moved to a new platform, not the game itself being moved.

Also if you look at the post on their forums it explicitly says PC.


CCP Frame wrote:
CCP’s development team in Shanghai has been working on a prototype for a first-person shooter for PC with the goal of building a great FPS set in our sci-fi universe of New Eden (the universe in which EVE Online, DUST 514, EVE: Valkyrie, and Gunjack are set).


Whoops, you are correct. Don't know how I missed that.

However, my point still stands. This is not a port. A software port in the context of gaming is specifically the adaptation of a program from its original platform so that it can run on another (i.e. Going PC to console or console to PC).

DUST514 is ending, not moving. That post is a cancellation of service where they have also taken the time to announce a different and new game built "from scratch." If that's what you consider porting a game, then I guess every first person shooter in existance is a Wolfenstein 3D port. I mean, DUST514's core concept is to shoot people, ergo, DUST514 must be a Wolfenstein port?
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#80 - 2016-02-06 10:37:36 UTC
There is one interesting side point in this. Making a new game will take 3 years at least (the note doesn't reads as if Shanghai had all the preproduction ready, but sitll are in concept phase since Legion was a port and that was evaluated and discarded)

In 3 years, the current generation of consoles will be in the second half of their life cycle. So going PC is CCP's best chance to not get stuck into yet another dying platform.