These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Rookie corp scams. Yey or ney?

First post
Author
alfons Oriki
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#21 - 2016-01-30 21:55:36 UTC
alfons Oriki wrote:
Officer Pressly wrote:

I've noticed that in some of the starter corporations, certain individuals are running scams. Is this what we want the new players to meet when they start on their new eve career? I have nothing against beeing scammed, I am a veteran. Probably would be suprised if you managed to do so. But I want to hear Your opinions on letting People scam in channels dedicated to the newbros. Also posting in this section so that newer players can voice their opinion on the subject.



That sounds like it's simple part of the game. I'm new as you can get. And from what I can tell, this is a dog eat dog world up in this B .



I mean hell truthfully. I will and have not even tried to invite any one I know in to this game, it would simply be pointless. The people that made this made it so 90% of the population of the world can't play this game or even want to. Hell I'm still working on understanding the core basics of play. And I'm getting burnt out on it. I might as well go get a masters degree in economics then wast my time on a video game.
Memphis Baas
#22 - 2016-01-31 00:10:30 UTC
Officer Pressly wrote:
I just think that the starter corp should have somewhat the same failsafes as the rookie systems. You are just as much a rookie, when you start out on the first day in a ibis, as you are when you say hi in that corp chat the first time.


Unfortunately, CCP does not KICK people out of that starter corp, so about 80% of it is actually veterans who have never joined player corps. And honestly, they are probably the intended targets for the scams; it's unlikely that newbies have anything worth stealing. So basically, if CCP gives special privileges to the starter corp, they would be protecting the veterans.

Which is why things are the way they are.

Scams Tutorial

The Internet is much better at presenting information and videos than any in-game chat channel. That EVE University Wiki page is chock-full of good stuff. Follow the links.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#23 - 2016-01-31 06:00:50 UTC
alfons Oriki wrote:
alfons Oriki wrote:
Officer Pressly wrote:

I've noticed that in some of the starter corporations, certain individuals are running scams. Is this what we want the new players to meet when they start on their new eve career? I have nothing against beeing scammed, I am a veteran. Probably would be suprised if you managed to do so. But I want to hear Your opinions on letting People scam in channels dedicated to the newbros. Also posting in this section so that newer players can voice their opinion on the subject.



That sounds like it's simple part of the game. I'm new as you can get. And from what I can tell, this is a dog eat dog world up in this B .



I mean hell truthfully. I will and have not even tried to invite any one I know in to this game, it would simply be pointless. The people that made this made it so 90% of the population of the world can't play this game or even want to. Hell I'm still working on understanding the core basics of play. And I'm getting burnt out on it. I might as well go get a masters degree in economics then wast my time on a video game.



yes, this game is not for the weak minded and impatient.

Just Add Water

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#24 - 2016-01-31 06:14:54 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Officer Pressly wrote:
I just think that the starter corp should have somewhat the same failsafes as the rookie systems. You are just as much a rookie, when you start out on the first day in a ibis, as you are when you say hi in that corp chat the first time.


Unfortunately, CCP does not KICK people out of that starter corp, so about 80% of it is actually veterans who have never joined player corps. And honestly, they are probably the intended targets for the scams; it's unlikely that newbies have anything worth stealing. So basically, if CCP gives special privileges to the starter corp, they would be protecting the veterans.

Which is why things are the way they are.

Scams Tutorial

The Internet is much better at presenting information and videos than any in-game chat channel. That EVE University Wiki page is chock-full of good stuff. Follow the links.



This is exactly correct.

Hell, my publicly known alt (iPod Blues) spent a looooong time in the starter corp. Reason being that it made them underestimated. Noone expected the starter corp guy to be a Logistics 5 pilot.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2016-01-31 23:43:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
This is Evopedia on the subject ...


Quote:
Warning: Attempting to abuse a new player’s lack of knowledge of the game and its mechanic for your personal gain or simply for their harm is prohibited in these solar systems. This includes, but is not limited to; tricking new players into situations where you or others may open fire on them freely or scamming ISK or assets from them. Disregarding warnings to cease such behavior from authorized CCP personnel is considered to be in violation of section 6 of the EVE Online Terms of Service.

Pilots found to pursue activities against new players in other areas may be subject to further restrictions as deemed necessary by CCP Games Customer Support Team.



Note this references Rookie Systems not corp chat.
Tweek Etimua
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2016-02-03 20:08:01 UTC
'Learn'em young' as they say.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#27 - 2016-02-03 20:10:33 UTC
This thread has been moved to General Discussion.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.

Poddington Bare
Infinite Destruction.
Unspoken Alliance.
#28 - 2016-02-03 20:56:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Poddington Bare
ISD Max Trix wrote:
This thread has been moved to General Discussion.


Sweet Zombie Eisenhower. That's got to be a first.

Also...not sure how you could police starter-corp scamming. A lot of people in starter corps are not actually new-bros.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#29 - 2016-02-03 21:07:06 UTC
I wouldn't scam a newbie out of their first hundred million, but If they have anything worth my time, that's a yay. Otherwise a nay. With players playing for over a decade and alt characters being as common as they are, "newbie" can mean a lot of things.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#30 - 2016-02-03 21:40:23 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:

Unfortunately, CCP does not KICK people out of that starter corp, so about 80% of it is actually veterans who have never joined player corps. And honestly, they are probably the intended targets for the scams; it's unlikely that newbies have anything worth stealing. So basically, if CCP gives special privileges to the starter corp, they would be protecting the veterans.

Which is why things are the way they are.

Scams Tutorial

The Internet is much better at presenting information and videos than any in-game chat channel. That EVE University Wiki page is chock-full of good stuff. Follow the links.

Funnily enough, CCP does not accept the 'I was targeting the Vets' excuse on anything that is targeting rookies indiscriminately as well. People trying suspect baiting in rookie systems found this out the hard way.

So to OP, yes, Petition away. It's something CCP will only deal with after the fact on a petition obviously, they aren't going to monitor chat, but they won't stand by and watch people running scams in rookie corps constantly. A single scam is unlikely to cause anything obviously also. But the 'don't be a total ****' rule does actually apply in EVE, even if less than elsewhere.
Utremi Fasolasi
La Dolce Vita
#31 - 2016-02-03 21:40:49 UTC
Officer Pressly wrote:
I just think that the starter corp should have somewhat the same failsafes as the rookie systems. You are just as much a rookie, when you start out on the first day in a ibis, as you are when you say hi in that corp chat the first time.
Having a scam toturial is a brilliant idea +1


This would be fine if you automatically got moved to the "vet" bloodline based NPC corps after a defined time like 90 days or so. Rather than having to join another corp like faction militia and leave to get moved over.
John E Normus
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#32 - 2016-02-03 21:49:01 UTC
What's a rookie corp?

If you are talking about the 2-8 year old "rookies" in corps like Deep Core Mining, then yes, they should be scammed.

Next question!

Between Ignorance and Wisdom

Hal Morsh
Doomheim
#33 - 2016-02-03 22:10:07 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Just one of the many reasons why the NPC noob corps are poison. The average level of advice quality in those chats is somewhere between laser cane and hacking myrmidon. It's a terrible environment for new players in basically every respect - poor advice, blind leading the blind, active scamming, and your corp-mates have little to no interest in you.

If you are a new player and reading this, the takeaway is find a good player corp! Get out of that awful npc corp ASAP.



Find a player corp to begin with. I was in a bad one, but met some other new people there that didn't like the corp, and gave me more out of EVE.

Oh, I perfectly understand, Hal Morsh — a mission like this requires courage, skill, and heroism… qualities you are clearly lacking. Have you forgotten you're one of the bloody immortals!?

Sonja Fury
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2016-02-03 23:47:07 UTC
I think new players should be some what protected from the harshitiest(i know not a word) of eve until they are ready we want to entice new players not scare them off at the first chance.
Memphis Baas
#35 - 2016-02-04 00:43:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
John E Normus wrote:
What's a rookie corp?


State War Academy is a rookie corp, for example. Heidion University, Imperial Academy, Royal Amarr Institute, School of Applied Knowledge, Science and Trade Institute, Center for Advanced Studies, Federal Navy Academy, University of Caille, Pator Tech School, Republic Military School, Republic University.

When you create your character, you get placed in one of these rookie ("school") corps, and if you join a player corp then leave it, you get placed into a "regular" NPC corp, like Astral Mining or The Scope or whatnot. So some veterans never join any player corps, just to stay in the rookie corps and chat with the rookies. They mostly do it to recruit or offer advice, but also, as we see in this thread, to harass or scam.
Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#36 - 2016-02-04 02:59:20 UTC
I even gave my own kids a running start before I started bilking them out of their lunch money.
Say...eight years old and all's fair.

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#37 - 2016-02-04 06:20:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Iria Ahrens
Ibutho Inkosi wrote:
I even gave my own kids a running start before I started bilking them out of their lunch money.
Say...eight years old and all's fair.


You sure are nice. I always liked baby toast. So if the baby looks the other way, baby goes hungry. Babies always seem to enjoy playing airplane when I throw them out the window.

Weeeee.

Blame it on my maternal instincts.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#38 - 2016-02-04 07:19:18 UTC
Might as well allow it.

Let them lose everything early when their everything is practically nothing.
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#39 - 2016-02-04 07:58:24 UTC

  1. Newbros have nothing worth to scam them out of it, so this is no danger at all for them. The only reason anyone brings newbros up in this kind of topic is because he is probably a 10 year old "newbro" in said corp who got scamed by an actual newbro
  2. Scaming older people is a really good way to make money for a newbro, it's probably to fastest way for them to get really rich. So why would you take that away from them?
Sturmwolke
#40 - 2016-02-04 08:14:18 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:

  1. Newbros have nothing worth to scam them out of it, so this is no danger at all for them. The only reason anyone brings newbros up in this kind of topic is because he is probably a 10 year old "newbro" in said corp who got scamed by an actual newbro
  2. Scaming older people is a really good way to make money for a newbro, it's probably to fastest way for them to get really rich. So why would you take that away from them?

They wouldn't be scamming newbies if it wasn't anything worth doing. "Nothing worth to scam" is an insensible argument.

Time and effort is an intangible thing that people often forget (all they see are isk numbers). Newbies, generally are more willing invest put time and effort into something. This can be exploited as a form of corp slavery, with the victim being completely oblivious to what is taking place.

Secondly, they're also ripe for scams when PLEXes are exchanged for isk. These they can buy outright from CCP at any time.