These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Gentlemen, it appears a port of DUST has been officially announced

First post
Author
Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#1 - 2016-02-03 12:57:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Cat Troll
Project Legion kinda went silent and died off after FF2014, and the future of the game was left shrouded in mystery.

However, a dev post just confirmed the status of the project: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3092850#post3092850

CCP Frame wrote:
Dear DUST 514 Community,

CCP’s development team in Shanghai has been working on a prototype for a first-person shooter for PC with the goal of building a great FPS set in our sci-fi universe of New Eden (the universe in which EVE Online, DUST 514, EVE: Valkyrie, and Gunjack are set). Their experience is being utilized to build a new game from scratch using Unreal Engine 4 while harnessing all our learnings from DUST 514. This is in many ways an evolution of Project Legion, the concept we announced at EVE Fanfest 2014, but without the limitations of technical debt and development paths we quickly discovered in that effort that could never serve as a future-proof technology base for a full production game. This new project is still in an early phase of production, and we feel like we’re on the right track and plan to give an update at EVE Fanfest on April 21st as a part of the free livestream of the event. Since this new game will be different from DUST 514 (although keeping many of its great parts), we will provide tiered recognition rewards to our loyal DUST customers, details to be announced.

We are very proud of what we’ve learned and accomplished with DUST 514 on PlayStation 3 over the past three years and it is an honor to be a part of such a dedicated community. We consider DUST 514 one of the best free-to-play offerings on the platform, but the years have caught up with us. It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that DUST 514 will be shutting down on May 30th, 2016. We therefore will not be releasing the 1.3 update as we had planned. Players will continue to be able to play for free on our servers until then, but all further PSN packs and purchases have been removed and disabled from the in-game marketplace and the PlayStation Store. Players with existing Aurum will be able to continue to purchase items from the in-game marketplace.

Thank you for being a part of DUST 514 on the PlayStation 3. We look forward to the next chapter, and hope you’ll be a part of it and continue the journey with us.

Lolwut: "Yes, you kids don't know how lucky you have it. These days noobs get given free tackle ships for PvP but back in the old days the only tackle ships we were given were our pods. We had to use them to bump their rookie ships out of alignment to stop them warping off."

MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#2 - 2016-02-03 13:06:33 UTC
I always knew it would be PC exclusive.

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#3 - 2016-02-03 13:11:16 UTC
MidnightWyvern wrote:

I guess it's time for all the "PC MASTER RACE" spammers to go **** on the current community again. GG.

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.

I really do hope people appreciate the community that was on consoles. It was dedicated and passionate, no less than the EVE community. With this move many of them will sadly be left behind, but please I do hope you all understand how vital their existence was for us to get to this moment.

DUST 514 didn't fail just because it was on PS3, contrary to popular belief. The studio was completely mismanaged. This means that even if the game was to release on PC, it would be a disaster in the first place. Thanks to the PS3 version however, you can be assured that the team behind it knows what they're doing, and understand the mistakes of the past.

Trust in our lords and saviors CCP Rattati and CCP Rouge.

Lolwut: "Yes, you kids don't know how lucky you have it. These days noobs get given free tackle ships for PvP but back in the old days the only tackle ships we were given were our pods. We had to use them to bump their rookie ships out of alignment to stop them warping off."

MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#4 - 2016-02-03 13:13:42 UTC
Cat Troll wrote:
MidnightWyvern wrote:

Twitch during FF14 was unbearable.

I really do hope people appreciate the community that was on consoles. It was dedicated and passionate, no less than the EVE community. With this move many of them will sadly be left behind, but please I do hope you all understand how vital their existence was for us to get to this moment.

DUST 514 didn't fail just because it was on PS3, contrary to popular belief. The studio was completely mismanaged. This means that even if the game was to release on PC, it would be a disaster in the first place. Thanks to the PS3 version however, you can be assured that the team behind it knows what they're doing, and understand the mistakes of the past.

Trust in our lords and saviors CCP Rattati and CCP Rouge.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new game. Looks like from the sounds of "tiered recognition rewards" though, we're going to be grinding again.Lol

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#5 - 2016-02-03 13:20:46 UTC
Time to start use up all them officer items.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#6 - 2016-02-03 13:25:05 UTC
Chribba wrote:

/c

You're going to find a way to mine Veldspar from the ground aren't you.

Arkenai Wyrnspire
Incorruptibles
#7 - 2016-02-03 13:32:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Arkenai Wyrnspire
The conclusion was obvious.

There was never going to be a future on console.

PC is also easier to develop for, and CCP Shanghai clearly need all the help they can get.

Someone.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#8 - 2016-02-03 13:47:06 UTC
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM DEFENSIVE INITIATIVE
#9 - 2016-02-03 13:51:12 UTC
MidnightWyvern wrote:

I think console players will ultimately nod in assent to the fact, that the choice of hardware was not optimal for DUST. If not publicly, than in their mancaves, quitely, to themsleves.
sixteen 64
#10 - 2016-02-03 13:51:54 UTC  |  Edited by: sixteen 64
Dust 514, it was sooo awesome, yet so bad, the concept, art & assets were top notch, but let down by poor performance and riddled with bugs and missing rather important features.

It's how I found myself into new eden and eve though Big smile

Anyways, PC version should be damn sweeet & its nice to finally hear some news that it's still being worked on, deffo something I'll look forward to hearing more about and then finally playing!
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#11 - 2016-02-03 13:55:20 UTC
Time to get a new maid

Dust bunnies everywhere

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#12 - 2016-02-03 14:02:07 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Time to get a new maid

Dust bunnies everywhere

I'm a dust cat thank you very much.

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#13 - 2016-02-03 14:06:06 UTC
Are you any relation to Cat O'ninetails?

Bumble's Space Log

BigRain Hawkeye
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2016-02-03 14:06:06 UTC
Well, as much as I loved DUST, I suppose this was going to happen eventually. No game lasts forever on consoles.
Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#15 - 2016-02-03 14:08:04 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Are you any relation to Cat O'ninetails?

For all I know, he's my son.
Cats breed a lot.

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#16 - 2016-02-03 14:13:38 UTC
Interesting

Bumble's Space Log

MidnightWyvern
Fukamichi Corporation
SAYR Galactic
#17 - 2016-02-03 14:14:56 UTC
Chribba wrote:

/c

I actually respecced out of some of them in order to max myself out in Assault Dropships again.

I will say that if I finally get my Fighters in this new Dust I won't even care about the grind. I'll gladly grind to have the sky.

Arkenai Wyrnspire
Incorruptibles
#18 - 2016-02-03 14:33:21 UTC
MidnightWyvern wrote:
Chribba wrote:

/c

I actually respecced out of some of them in order to max myself out in Assault Dropships again.

I will say that if I finally get my Fighters in this new Dust I won't even care about the grind. I'll gladly grind to have the sky.

Never change, Mobius. Lol

Someone.

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#19 - 2016-02-03 14:38:29 UTC
Funny. I finally quit the sea service and got a high speed internet connection. I was preparing to buy a ps3 just so I could play Dust. Ahh well, would rather play a pc second gen version that, like eve, should be around for a long time. That is ultimately one of the secrets to Eve's greatness, it is the game that has our backs. I play eve confident that my character will still be around years from now.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#20 - 2016-02-03 14:53:10 UTC
Reading comprehension is lacking here. There is nothing that says dust is being ported. What it actually says is that DUST 514 is shutting down May 30 of this year. It is not being ported.

The post also says CCP Shanghai has been working on a new FPS set in New Eden that is planned for the PC. And maybe later they will port that to PS4.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

123Next pageLast page