These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

New Skills

First post
Author
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#1 - 2016-02-03 06:26:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
So, i went on to an intelligence and memory remap to solidify my already good support skills to OCD levels.

Since then ive done almost nothing bur train logisitics frigates, command destroyers, all races t3 destroyers and no doubt will have to train the upcoming aux-support skills to regain parity with my already perfect triage archon skills on both of my main chars. Not to mention the prospect that the amarr aux support might not be the optimal choice fort he role as the archon was.

Its getting a little tiresome that every new ship requires a new skill but ive just ignored it. However the prospect of a 2 month level 14 skill train to retain the same capability that i have now is quite depressing. The alternative is the equally depressing option that CCP has chosen before where older pilots are grandfathered in to the new class leaving newer players out in the cold.

The obvious solution would be to just have the new aux support ships base on the current racial carrier skills.

I know CCP are determined to alienate as many people as possible but could CCP please focus on improving their core game activities, rather than throwing as many half baked ideas against the wall as possible?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2016-02-03 06:41:48 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
I know CCP are determined to alienate as many people as possible but could CCP please focus on improving their core game activities, rather than throwing as many half baked ideas against the wall as possible?

…such as…?

And what does that have to do with your skill OCD?
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#3 - 2016-02-03 06:47:15 UTC
Read the design documents for why they split the Aux ships off. It is a core gameplay improvement and comes with many other core improvements for capitals.
And they have indicated they will likely clone the skill across, since you could fly a logistics triage capital before it leaves you able to fly one afterwards.
Your suggestion of making the carrier skill apply to both is actually a poor one since it gives the carrier skill twice the value of the dreadnought skill, where as splitting the skill gives all of them equal value overall in terms of ships it allows you to fly.

However, training new ships is not needed to retain the 'same capability' you had before in general cases, since new ships normally add in new skills.

TLDR; Stop whining.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-02-03 06:50:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Honest question as memory has failed me: When before did players get grandfathered into a new class of ships? Is that even called being grandfathered in at that point?
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#5 - 2016-02-03 06:56:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Tippia wrote:
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

…such as…?

As clearly stated, i changed my remap due to my OCD, which at the time was a reasonable thing to do. Then months of new per/wil skills, that were previously unannounced were introduced.

I never said that CCPs flurry of bad ideas was anything to do with my OCD but thanks for your post even if it is blatantly argumentative.

As for improving core game play. From the ground up;

-Improve the default overview settings and window layout sot hat its at least good for something.

-Dont introduce a new camera or scanning features until they are at least as good as the old ones.

-Incentivize older players to interact with new players to improve new player experience. This could be anything from end game PVE content where people could be recruited for minor low risk/low reward roles to support a high risk/high reward role for the older player and sufficiently complex enough to require comms.

-Make mining less passive.

-Fix the UI lag and frequent momentary UI unresponsiveness.

-Put a hold in citadels in low sec until a reasonable purpose and rebalance can be designed so as to not interfere with FW core mechanics.

-Make moon mining less passive, one suggestion i read was to periodically deplete resources on one moon and migrate it to another, creating sustained conflict and higher levels of activity from probing moons to POS moving OPs.

I could go on almost indefinitely given the time.

Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Read the design documents for why they split the Aux ships off. It is a core gameplay improvement and comes with many other core improvements for capitals.
And they have indicated they will likely clone the skill across, since you could fly a logistics triage capital before it leaves you able to fly one afterwards.
Your suggestion of making the carrier skill apply to both is actually a poor one since it gives the carrier skill twice the value of the dreadnought skill, where as splitting the skill gives all of them equal value overall in terms of ships it allows you to fly.

However, training new ships is not needed to retain the 'same capability' you had before in general cases, since new ships normally add in new skills.

TLDR; Stop whining.

Dreadnought skills and carrier skills have completely different purposes and their value is not meant to be relative to each other, int he same way that Recon ships doesnt represent the same value as heavy interdictors or logistics cruisers.

Splitting the skill and grandfathering in people like me just makes a steeper SP mountain for younger players to climb. 13 years into EVE this should not be desirable. CCP really needs to focus on new player retention now more ever. It will take longer for new players to get my current capabilities than it took me, even if you consider the removal of learning skills (since we got those back)

TLDR; Stop fanboying. Though im sure im in the wrong sub-forum for that lol.

Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Honest question as memory has failed me: When before did players get grandfathered into a new class of ships? Is that even called being grandfathered in at that point?

I currently have command ships to 5 on both my main accounts even though only one of them has the pre-reqs (and he only has the pre-reqs because he is mainly a boosting character).

Both My accounts have all racia BC skills to 5 even though they only trained the original single non-racial BC skill.

Both my accounts have all racial destroyer skills to 5 even though they only trained the original single non-racial destroyer skill.

So yes, older players have been fortunate on a number of occasions that has left them with an overall lower training burden to get to where they are relative to newer players.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2016-02-03 07:17:42 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

…such as…?

As clearly stated, i changed my remap due to my OCD, which at the time was a reasonable thing to do. Then months of new per/wil skills, that were previously unannounced were introduced.

I never said that CCPs flurry of bad ideas was anything to do with my OCD but thanks for your post even if it is blatantly argumentative.

As for improving core game play. From the ground up;

-Improve the default overview settings and window layout sot hat its at least good for something.

-Dont introduce a new camera or scanning features until they are at least as good as the old ones.

-Incentivize older players to interact with new players to improve new player experience. This could be anything from end game PVE content where people could be recruited for minor low risk/low reward roles to support a high risk/high reward role for the older player and sufficiently complex enough to require comms.

-Make mining less passive.

-Fix the UI lag and frequent momentary UI unresponsiveness.

-Put a hold in citadels in low sec until a reasonable purpose and rebalance can be designed so as to not interfere with FW core mechanics.

-Make moon mining less passive, one suggestion i read was to periodically deplete resources on one moon and migrate it to another, creating sustained conflict and higher levels of activity from probing moons to POS moving OPs.

I could go on almost indefinitely given the time.

Nevyn Auscent wrote:

TLDR; Stop whining.

Dreadnought skills and carrier skills have completely different purposes and their value is not meant to be relative to each other, int he same way that Recon ships doesnt represent the same value as heavy interdictors or logistics cruisers.

Splitting the skill and grandfathering in people like me just makes a steeper SP mountain for younger players to climb. 13 years into EVE this should not be desirable. CCP really needs to focus on new player retention now more ever. It will take longer for new players to get my current capabilities than it took me, even if you consider the removal of learning skills (since we got those back)

TLDR; Stop fanboying. Though im sure im in the wrong sub-forum for that lol.

It's not a mountain it's more a series of hills. Capitals are big hills which is the way they should be. You should find it very hard to pilot them all. They should be rare. If a newb wants to fly one quick he has the option of saving and buying a char.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#7 - 2016-02-03 07:21:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Infinity Ziona wrote:

It's not a mountain it's more a series of hills. Capitals are big hills which is the way they should be. You should find it very hard to pilot them all. They should be rare. If a newb wants to fly one quick he has the option of saving and buying a char.

Why do the hills have to be steeper for newer players? remember, ive done nearly all the climbing there is to do in this game. With people 13 years ahead of the curve to the new players that CCP wants to attract, i think its time to relax a little or at least stop increasing the training burden for newer players to reach where the older ones are.

Basing the new aux support and combat carriers on the same skill (with perhaps a rename) will not create a shortcut to caps.

Introducing another skill and gifting it to me will create another substantial hill between me and a newer player.
Top Guac
Doomheim
#8 - 2016-02-03 07:29:56 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Why do the hills have to be steeper for newer players?

They are no steeper for a new player than anyone else. Exactly the same.

With the introduction of skillpackets next week, it's in a way, easier for new players to get over any hill/mountain or other metaphor you want to use.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#9 - 2016-02-03 07:34:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Top Guac wrote:
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Why do the hills have to be steeper for newer players?

They are no steeper for a new player than anyone else. Exactly the same.

With the introduction of skillpackets next week, it's in a way, easier for new players to get over any hill/mountain or other metaphor you want to use.

They will likely be prohibitively expensive for all but anyone that wants to put a lot of RL cash into a game that already has a monthly subscription. Unfortunately, those type of players are generally the established old guard creating new accounts.

The new to EVE player that CCP needs to keep the game moving forwards certainly do not fall into that bracket.

And the hills are steeper. I can point to 8 million skillpoints off the cuff that i never had to train that a new player will.

I can currently fly a perfect combat and triage archon on both character. As such introducing a new level 14 skill and giving it to me will put me another 3,500,000 SP ahead of a newer player. Introducing a new skill that replaces a role that i can currently fill and NOT giving it to me will be very annoying.

Combining the two roles under one existing skill (with a rename perhaps) is not only reasonable, its also the only option that is fair for everyone.

Can we keep thinks factual?
Top Guac
Doomheim
#10 - 2016-02-03 07:50:13 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
They will likely be prohibitively expensive for all but anyone that wants to put a lot of RL cash into a game that already has a monthly subscription. Unfortunately, those type of players are generally the established old guard creating new accounts.

The new to EVE player that CCP needs to keep the game moving forwards certainly do not fall into that bracket.

And the hills are steeper. I can point to 8 million skillpoints off the cuff that i never had to train that a new player will.

I can currently fly a perfect combat and triage archon on both character. As such introducing a new level 14 skill and giving it to me will put me another 3,500,000 SP ahead of a newer player.

That's all complete speculation.

You know, the opposite of this:

Quote:

Factual how.

Nothing in this thread has been factual so far.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#11 - 2016-02-03 07:51:23 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

I can currently fly a perfect combat and triage archon on both character. As such introducing a new level 14 skill and giving it to me will put me another 3,500,000 SP ahead of a newer player.

Except a new player does not have to train that SP.
Because they don't need to learn to fly all 4 Racial BC's unless they want to.
They have alternative actually easier requirements for Command Ships.
They have a much faster train for Orca's.
They do not need to train carrier & FAX simply to fly a logistics capital.
Citadels will not interfere in the core mechanics of FW.
The overview is fine how it is, stop trying to mess with mechanics that work.
The action of Mining is just fine how it is, minigames that you have to play constantly for hours suck, stop trying to mess with mechanics that are fine.
'Fixing' UI lag is a constant and ongoing process and often related to the internet and your computer and nothing to do with CCP or EVE.

Sure, you have one or two good things in there, but manure is good for one or two things as well.

So yes, please keep things factual, and start by keeping your own posts factual.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#12 - 2016-02-03 07:52:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Top Guac wrote:

Nothing i have posted in this thread has been factual so far.

FTFY.

Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

Except a new player does not have to train that SP.
Because they don't need to learn to fly all 4 Racial BC's unless they want to.
They have alternative actually easier requirements for Command Ships.
They have a much faster train for Orca's.
They do not need to train carrier & FAX simply to fly a logistics capital.
Citadels will not interfere in the core mechanics of FW.
The overview is fine how it is, stop trying to mess with mechanics that work.
The action of Mining is just fine how it is, minigames that you have to play constantly for hours suck, stop trying to mess with mechanics that are fine.
'Fixing' UI lag is a constant and ongoing process and often related to the internet and your computer and nothing to do with CCP or EVE.

Sure, you have one or two good things in there, but manure is good for one or two things as well.

So yes, please keep things factual, and start by keeping your own posts factual.

Non of that changes the fact that a new player will spend more time to reach the equivalent PVP capabilities that i have. Somewhere in the region of 5 months.

Old prereqs for commandships were harsh too with logistics 5. But im pretty sure that training logistics 5 at 1.5m SP is easier than training 4 leadership skills at 2m (charisma based) SP total. Unless you think that 2m SP is a smaller number than 1.5m SP? If we consider a cross train being desirable (and also free for the older players) we can add on another 3.5m SP for alternative racial BCs that older players never had to train.

Not to mention the alternative uses that the logistics 5 prereq opened up for people as opposed to the often redundant buffs that the leadership skills give you.

Saying that 'they dont have to train it if they dont want to' kind of sidesteps the issue. Sure, people can train an atron and stop there but that is missing the point.
Top Guac
Doomheim
#13 - 2016-02-03 07:59:36 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Top Guac wrote:

Nothing i have posted in this thread has been factual so far.

FTFY.

More fantasy. Your thread is awesome.

Really going places.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#14 - 2016-02-03 08:01:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Top Guac wrote:
Every thread has a troll looking for legitimacy by dropping dank memes, and here i am!!!

<3 U
beakerax
Pator Tech School
#15 - 2016-02-03 08:15:27 UTC
You have the kind of OCD that requires skills to be maxed out; the devs have the kind of OCD that requires each skill to perform exactly one function.

Don't pity the new players, they get to live in a tidier world.
Top Guac
Doomheim
#16 - 2016-02-03 08:18:06 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Every thread has a troll looking for legitimacy by dropping dank memes, and here i am!!!

<3 U

FTFY
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#17 - 2016-02-03 08:21:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
beakerax wrote:
You have the kind of OCD that requires skills to be maxed out; the devs have the kind of OCD that requires each skill to perform exactly one function.

Don't pity the new players, they get to live in a tidier world.

Lots of skills have widely different purposes. Most ship skills in fact, if you consider the difference between ships and even ships in a single class. The one constant unifying attribute across a single class is often not much more than the size.

Probably the best example is that t1 logistics cruisers and frigates fall under the same skill as any other t1 cruiser or frigate. Combat caps and logistics caps under one skill has a perfectly solid precedence here.

Top Guac wrote:
I KNOW YOU ARE SO WHAT AM I

Perhaps my expectations of you were a little too high. FInd your own level mate and troll away!
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#18 - 2016-02-03 09:00:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Nevyn Auscent
Crosi Wesdo wrote:

Non of that changes the fact that a new player will spend more time to reach the equivalent PVP capabilities that i have. Somewhere in the region of 5 months.

Old prereqs for commandships were harsh too with logistics 5. But im pretty sure that training logistics 5 at 1.5m SP is easier than training 4 leadership skills at 2m (charisma based) SP total. Unless you think that 2m SP is a smaller number than 1.5m SP? If we consider a cross train being desirable (and also free for the older players) we can add on another 3.5m SP for alternative racial BCs that older players never had to train.

Not to mention the alternative uses that the logistics 5 prereq opened up for people as opposed to the often redundant buffs that the leadership skills give you.

Saying that 'they dont have to train it if they dont want to' kind of sidesteps the issue. Sure, people can train an atron and stop there but that is missing the point.

You forgot the HAC requirement and the Cruiser V requirement in your Command ships pre-reqs list.
Leadership is also not redundant and is always appreciated in small gang.

If we are talking about SP, they also don't have to train learning skills instead getting that faster skilling from the start, they have a vastly smoothed ship progression, they no longer need to take ships to IV simply to unlock the next class, they no longer need small tech 2 weapons to unlock medium tech 2 weapons etc.

Yes, there have been some spots where to do the same cross training takes more SP, but there have also been a massive number of spots where the training required to unlock specific ships has been seriously reduced as well.

None of which really matters, because CCP are not going to pander to your whine at this point in a special snowflake thread of it's own when they discussed all this months & months ago and have already come to a decision at this point, and the only reason it won't have been announced is they are working out the exact mechanics of implementing it, and if/how to change some carriers to FAX on the expansion day also.
And sure, you get more SP, it's a meaningless figure though because you gain no more ability than you had before. And sure, you can claim 'think of the newbies' but the reality is the newbie is actually better off because the game is better balanced.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2016-02-03 09:24:36 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
It will take longer for new players to get my current capabilities than it took me,

Little example that goes against this statement:
5 years ago it would take 64 days to train for Mega Pulse Lasers T2
Nowadays it takes 32 days.

Simply because they made the lower weaponry specialization unnecessary
Similar thing has been done with A LOT of ships and modules ingame.
Yourmoney Mywallet
Doomheim
#20 - 2016-02-03 09:50:24 UTC
Not really sure what the problem is as you have two bonus remaps.
What, not every player has that? :smugface:
123Next page