These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Questions regarding pve sites

Author
Dominykas Kucinas
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-02-03 00:06:47 UTC
Hi. I recently joined a corp and will be heading to do pve. But i would really lile to get some things clear. First of all, i will need to bring a ship other than my pve one to scan for the sites right ? Can those sites be ahared in some way ? Will it be gone after i clear the site or will it just respawn in the same place again and again ?
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#2 - 2016-02-03 00:28:15 UTC
Ok, pve means several different things in Eve. Since you mention scanning sites though, I'm going to assume you are referring to exploration.

When you're just starting out, you might be forced to use a seperate scanning ship and combat ship for exploration sites. This is because at low skills, you will depend more on the ship bonus to get a warpable point. If you are scanning down relic and data sites, you don't need a separate combat ship at all.

You make a bookmark, and then drop that bookmark in space for your corp mates. Or you can simply warp to the combat site and have them use fleet warp to you.

Once a site is cleared it despawns. Some sites don't need to be cleared, they might despawn an hour after someone lands on grid. May not count if cloaked.

When an exploration site despawns, it respawns at a random location in the eve universe. Systems with low traffic tend to accumulate a large number of sites. Some high traffic systems in null will have lots of sites. This means the local sov state uses them as bait for easy explorer kills.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Memphis Baas
#3 - 2016-02-03 00:35:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Exploration sites typically spawn in random locations and need to be probed down. Once completed they disappear and appear somewhere else. Anyone who finds the site with their probes can go to it.

Other "PVE" such as agent missions do not require the location to be probed down; the agent will give you the location as a bookmark. Other people can find your location by probing for your ship.

If you are going into WORMHOLE space, you definitely need a ship with probing capabilities, because there are no stargates; if you can't probe the entrance / exit wormholes you will be stuck there. For wormhole space, a ship with cloaking is also recommended, because there is no list of pilots in the Local chat channel, or any security (Concord), so you can be attacked by surprise.

Here is an in-depth exploration guide.
Here's a wormhole space guide.

EDIT: As far as separating damage/DPS from probing, it depends on the site. High-sec sites can be easy to do in a frigate; otherwise you need a heavier ship. A lot of the bigger ships can afford to install a probe launcher along with the many weapons, but in some cases you may need the bonuses that certain ships have for probing in order to find the very faint sites.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#4 - 2016-02-03 01:07:13 UTC
Some ships can do both scanning and PVE activities well, but these tend to be ships requiring fairly extensive skill training (Tactical Destroyers, Marauders, and some drone ships such as the Dominix and Ishtar).

Early on, there's nothing wrong with probing in a different ship to the combat ship you use.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Ace Lapointe
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-02-03 03:49:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Lapointe
To be completely honest. I use an Enyo, a Rattle and a Astero, and with the Astero, I can do all 4/10's, with changing fits between them, though I prefer Guristas, I Scan down Sites all the time within 3-5 Scans (Go the Rangefinders!) and I have 750 SP in Scanning, and that is Astometrics Lvl 1, so you should be fine, I would recommend an Astero, due to it's utility as a beginners ship, they do cost a fair bit (I think they are towards the 100mil mark, but with a little bling (DED Rep) you can perma-tank all the Sites 4/10 and under with the right fits, and low skills, I was doing 4/10 Gurista in my Astero within the first month, then I found out my Enyo was faster at it but required more micromanagement and target management, I switched, but, honestly, that was mainly casue it looks like a little knight! Big smile
Dominykas Kucinas
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-02-03 07:16:37 UTC
So there are no sites that does not change their position in space ?
Centis Adjani
Adjani Corporation
#7 - 2016-02-03 10:07:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Centis Adjani
Dominykas Kucinas wrote:
So there are no sites that does not change their position in space ?

There are sites which never change their positions. These sites you see always as Beacons in your Overview.
You can warp to these directly and there is no Acceleration Gate.
But other types of sites are shown this way as beacons too. For example Incursions sites.
The Incoursion sites are shown in Overview, but disappear after the site is cleared from all rats.
Then a new site of same type respawn at a different place in same system.
This happens as long as the Mothership of the Incursion is not dead.

Other sites are Cosmic Anomalies. You can see them with your Ship Scanner and can direct warp to these. After these are cleared, they disappear. At another place, in another solar system the site respawn then. Anomalies exist as Combat Sites and Asteriod Fields.

Next sites are Cosmic Signatures.
These you see too in your Ship Scanner but without a name and you cannot warp to directly.
First you need to probe them down.
For these you need a Explorer Ship like the Astero, Stratios, Gnosis, Probe, Imicus, Magnate, and other.
These type of sites are not only Combat sites, additional there exist Data and Relic sites with cans you need to hack before you can open them. After the site is cleared, it disappears. And respawn at a different place in another solar system with a time delay.

So you see, PvE means a lot of different things, you can do. And these above are not all.
In this overview -> What to do in EvE you can see all things you can do in EvE.
What things are PvE related are shown in this tree. Just click on any rectangle there to get more Information.
Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#8 - 2016-02-09 04:27:39 UTC
These are good questions for your new corpmates. They can teach you stuff like how to bookmark a site and share it with them. (Not that you shouldn't ask questions here - but it's good for you to get this kind of info in real time).

If your corpmates don't know the answers or aren't willing to help you learn, it might not be a very good corp. If that's the case, no problem! Just look for one more suited to your needs.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament