These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Announcing the Oasis Wormhole Citadel: A project to create a freeport

Author
Alexander Otium
Mothhat
#1 - 2016-01-27 22:09:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexander Otium
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, Capsuleers, it is my pleasure to announce to you the beginning of development of New Eden's first ever Capsuleer owned and operated station constructed in Anoikis.

For all of its existence, Humanity has had a want and need for exploration and the discovery of the New, the Unknown. The Oasis Citadel will serve as a hub to facilitate the exploration of the new and unknown, and as a beacon, an Oasis, in an unmappable desert of uncertainty and hostility.


End of Roleplay

The concept of the Oasis Citadel is something I had been imagining since first learning about Wormholes in EVE, before I had ever actually started playing. They fascinated me, the idea of inconsistent connections in a mysterious and unknown region of space. I had dreams of a coalition of independent groups living in separate wormholes, coming to each other's aid and trading whenever possible.

After learning a bit more I discovered it wasn't practical at the time, but the idea has stuck with me. Now, with the release of citadels on the horizon, the idea has come back to me in a somewhat more reserved form.

The Plan

I plan on constructing and operating a Citadel in a class-4 wormhole with a C5 static and either a C3 or C2 static. The C5 static serves as a connection to the C5 Highway for travel and higher level ratting, and the C2 or C3 gives access to lower level ratting and exploration.

Security

  • A.) Bubbles

  • Oasis will be fortified with bubbles to force people to need to warp to the Citadel before warping to any other location, and the bubbles will be moved and updated on a regular basis to ease travel to newly-formed ore sites and wormholes. This will help make it safer for miners, gassers, and people doing PI.

  • B.) Bounties and Standings.

  • The Oasis Citadel will maintain a shitlist using standings. You're not allowed to kill greys and up in Oasis, you are allowed to kill yellows, and you'll get payed for killing reds based on their fitting.

    Profits and Costs

    Revenue will be generated through a low market tax rate and through a LootBuy program. We will purchase wormhole loot at a value slightly lower than highsec, after which we will ship it out ourselves to sell. This is to be interpreted as a service, where the price discrepancy is our fee for shipping your loot.

    The money will be used to pay bounties, buying things that we cannot produce domestically, and providing subsidies and investments to residents.

    There is a concise and comprehensive rulelist typed out, which will be made publicly available and readable shortly before the Citadel has been launched.

    Construction Cost

    The cost of constructing the Citadel will be covered by us. My grandmother, Sundoll Otium, and I have been stockpiling ISK to be able to pay for them.

    We are estimating 1 billion ISK per attempt. We are rounding up to assume a "worst-case" scenario so we have more safety and ISK buffer.

    Crowdsourcing Research Components

    I am calling on people to contact me in-game if they are interested in donating Research Components to up our chances of receiving a Citadel BPC.

    Don't start sending them just yet, I want to make sure we can get enough contributors for it to make a difference. There's no point in you sending your components if they won't actually accomplish much.

    Should we fail to receive a BPC in the research raffle, we will either buy a Citadel, buy a BPC, or buy a BPO depending on how the costs shake out.

    Investing

    We have a good supply of ISK to cover construction costs, and if anyone is interested in contributing, please mail me in-game or on Reddit. We will pay back all investments, plus a bit extra, as soon as the Citadel has provided the ISK to do so.
    Bumblefck
    Kerensky Initiatives
    #2 - 2016-01-27 22:15:50 UTC
    Quote:
    My grandmother, Sundoll Otium, and I have been stockpiling ISK to be able to pay for them.



    Is that because I have been, ahem, quite friendly with her recently? LolOops



    /baudylethario roleplay off


    Seriously though, good luck with this venture - I like the concept and idea, and will be sure to visit if/when this comes to fruition!

    Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

    Bumble's Space Log

    Scipio Artelius
    The Vendunari
    End of Life
    #3 - 2016-01-27 22:17:01 UTC
    Thera 2.0
    Thorian Baalnorn
    Vergnugen Industries
    Evictus.
    #4 - 2016-01-28 00:07:23 UTC
    so its like provi for wormholers Not a bad idea. Though i think maintaining and moving bubbles constantly is going to be a pain.
    You would have to basically bubble the route from WH to every warpable object in the system. And experienced pvpers can get around them. Lots of bubbles in a system usually means their will be some juicy targets in that system that have a false sense of security.

    A better bet would to be to bubble the WHs directly( if you insist on bubbles) forcing anyone who wishes to warp in to clear the bubbles. Then you can have people Watch WHs for others and warn them in local they will be shot for aggressing anyone.

    Furthermore if you are going to have residents( not in your corp) that will use the WH as a home base you will want to put them in a group such as a corp or alliance. And create an intel channel of course for people who proved to be friendly( they have had a few opportunities to kill others but havent)

    Wait... i just described sov living but in WH space.

    Sometimes you are the squirrel and sometimes you are the nut. Today, you are the nut and the squirrel is hungry.

    Alexander Otium
    Mothhat
    #5 - 2016-01-28 00:57:28 UTC
    Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
    so its like provi for wormholers Not a bad idea. Though i think maintaining and moving bubbles constantly is going to be a pain.
    You would have to basically bubble the route from WH to every warpable object in the system. And experienced pvpers can get around them. Lots of bubbles in a system usually means their will be some juicy targets in that system that have a false sense of security.

    A better bet would to be to bubble the WHs directly( if you insist on bubbles) forcing anyone who wishes to warp in to clear the bubbles. Then you can have people Watch WHs for others and warn them in local they will be shot for aggressing anyone.

    Furthermore if you are going to have residents( not in your corp) that will use the WH as a home base you will want to put them in a group such as a corp or alliance. And create an intel channel of course for people who proved to be friendly( they have had a few opportunities to kill others but havent)

    Wait... i just described sov living but in WH space.



    The citadels allow actual proper docking, so they won't need to be in the corp or alliance to dock at it and use its facilities.

    Bubbles will be allowed directly on wormholes, but only Oasis can put the permanent long-term ones that will go around celestials and other permanent structures. Non-Oasis bubbles are up for grabs for whoever wants to kill them if they're not on a Wormhole or around an ore site, and putting them up anywhere but wormholes and around ore sites may result in you getting a reduction in standings to Oasis. That includes putting them directly on ore sites, or between the citadel and a site.
    Malcolm from Marketing
    Klaatu Technologies
    Disavowed.
    #6 - 2016-01-28 13:50:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcolm from Marketing
    Bumblefck wrote:
    Quote:
    My grandmother, Sundoll Otium, and I have been stockpiling ISK to be able to pay for them.




    Seriously though, good luck with this venture - I like the concept and idea, and will be sure to visit if/when this comes to fruition!


    As will every large WH alliance that stumbles over it accompanied by a fleet of dreads.

    Credit to ya op for proposing such a venture but a couple of points i noticed i'd like to address and/or advise :-

    Your bubbling the routes from the citidel to the sites, to every celestial and new connection will not work. Its a noble thought but who ever draws the short straw to be in charge of anchoring/un-achoring said bubbles multiple times per day ( possibly ) will either stab his/her eyes out with a rusty spoon after a week or hang themselves. It's just not going to be a 'fun' job to do, plus your talking about bubbling every route from the entrances direct to the content spawns plus in-between every possible bounce you can think of, thats a LOT of bubbles, all at roughly 10m per pop, presuming people dont just blow them up because, well, because they can.

    If i recall, only large and x-large Citidels will be able to fit a market hub, if that's true then your going to have to go for a large at least. Sure i saw a dev blog about rough estimates of the BPO's being seeded, that being 70b for the large and 700b for the XL, the BPC runs may sell for roughly 7b and 70b respectively.

    Large and XL Citidels need a freighter to deploy, you cant get a freighter in a C4 so your going to have to build one specifically for purpose which is even more cost.

    Some food for thought maybe.


    Reading between the lines though, and me being incredibly suspicious of all players in general, im gonna call this nothing but a ruse aimed at fellow role players/less educated among the player base to donate research components to yourself to strike it rich.
    But thats just the opinion of an incredibly grumpy space oap ;)

    Good luck man!
    Cara Forelli
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #7 - 2016-01-29 00:17:11 UTC
    Alexander Otium wrote:
    A.) Bubbles

    Oasis will be fortified with bubbles to force people to need to warp to the Citadel before warping to any other location, and the bubbles will be moved and updated on a regular basis to ease travel to newly-formed ore sites and wormholes. This will help make it safer for miners, gassers, and people doing PI.

    That really makes no sense. Even if it were possible (it isn't) it would probably get your miners killed more often than not.

    Malcolm from Marketing wrote:
    As will every large WH alliance that stumbles over it accompanied by a fleet of dreads.

    Ermm...not in a C4!

    In any case...looking forward to finding this hole. Big smile

    Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

    Titan's Lament

    Alexander Otium
    Mothhat
    #8 - 2016-01-29 02:25:03 UTC
    Cara Forelli wrote:
    Alexander Otium wrote:
    A.) Bubbles

    Oasis will be fortified with bubbles to force people to need to warp to the Citadel before warping to any other location, and the bubbles will be moved and updated on a regular basis to ease travel to newly-formed ore sites and wormholes. This will help make it safer for miners, gassers, and people doing PI.

    That really makes no sense. Even if it were possible (it isn't) it would probably get your miners killed more often than not.

    Malcolm from Marketing wrote:
    As will every large WH alliance that stumbles over it accompanied by a fleet of dreads.

    Ermm...not in a C4!

    In any case...looking forward to finding this hole. Big smile


    It won't literally force them to, but it will make it so that all non-nullified ships need to warp, fly through a bubble, warp, then fly through another bubble, before they can actually get to their target. It will help slow down pirates and make it easier for miners and bounty hunters to catch them on D-scan or see them.

    They can either do that, or they can warp to the Citadel then to their destination. So, they can either travel very slowly and be easier to run away from, or they can travel more quickly but have to bounce by the Citadel where they can be killed or intercepted very easily.
    Cara Forelli
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #9 - 2016-01-29 04:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
    Alexander Otium wrote:
    It won't literally force them to, but it will make it so that all non-nullified ships need to warp, fly through a bubble, warp, then fly through another bubble, before they can actually get to their target. It will help slow down pirates and make it easier for miners and bounty hunters to catch them on D-scan or see them.

    They can either do that, or they can warp to the Citadel then to their destination. So, they can either travel very slowly and be easier to run away from, or they can travel more quickly but have to bounce by the Citadel where they can be killed or intercepted very easily.

    It won't work. Almost anything that finds you will be sporting a cloak. Static bubbles are fairly worthless in wormhole space. It would just be a massive waste of effort (if you could even keep up to begin with - new sigs spawn randomly throughout the day). And I still don't understand how exactly you're going to force someone to warp to the Citadel...they could just warp to any planet or moon instead. Or are you going to bubble every moon every time a new wormhole spawns?

    You're welcome to try it. But it'll just be a false sense of security because it really won't help you.

    Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

    Titan's Lament

    Ibutho Inkosi
    Doomheim
    #10 - 2016-01-29 04:36:19 UTC
    Call it "SIS"; Socialists In Space!

    As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

    Alexander Otium
    Mothhat
    #11 - 2016-01-29 06:16:53 UTC
    Cara Forelli wrote:
    Alexander Otium wrote:
    It won't literally force them to, but it will make it so that all non-nullified ships need to warp, fly through a bubble, warp, then fly through another bubble, before they can actually get to their target. It will help slow down pirates and make it easier for miners and bounty hunters to catch them on D-scan or see them.

    They can either do that, or they can warp to the Citadel then to their destination. So, they can either travel very slowly and be easier to run away from, or they can travel more quickly but have to bounce by the Citadel where they can be killed or intercepted very easily.

    It won't work. Almost anything that finds you will be sporting a cloak. Static bubbles are fairly worthless in wormhole space. It would just be a massive waste of effort (if you could even keep up to begin with - new sigs spawn randomly throughout the day). And I still don't understand how exactly you're going to force someone to warp to the Citadel...they could just warp to any planet or moon instead. Or are you going to bubble every moon every time a new wormhole spawns?

    You're welcome to try it. But it'll just be a false sense of security because it really won't help you.


    With POCO's for example, we surround the POCO with bubbles that aren't actually touching the POCO. There is a window that points to the Citadel. So, if you want to warp to the POCO, the fast way to do it is to warp to the Citadel, then to the POCO. If you don't do that, you get caught in the POCO bubbles.

    If you're a pirate, this makes it more difficult for you to get the jump on your target. Of course, there will be people in cloaky nullified T3's, but you can't stop everything.

    let's say someone goes to a new ore site that just appeared. If Oasis has not put up their own bubbles at the ore site, the miners or bounty hunters can put up their own to secure the area and either trap or slow down attackers.
    Anoron Secheh
    Macabre Dance
    #12 - 2016-01-29 07:46:37 UTC
    Talk to EVE-Scout guys about this, this seems like something they'd be interested in.
    Cara Forelli
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #13 - 2016-01-29 12:13:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Cara Forelli
    Alexander Otium wrote:
    If you're a pirate, this makes it more difficult for you to get the jump on your target. Of course, there will be people in cloaky nullified T3's, but you can't stop everything.

    This isn't 0.0. No one will be nullified. Everyone will be cloaky. No one will be stopped by an anchored bubble.

    So you will bubble every warpable object? You realize this means that your miners will only have one viable escape route. Lets say a Stratios jumps in your system. There's a bubble on the hole but he doesn't care, he's cloaked. He scouts out the system and realizes that everything is bubbled. Calls a couple friends, makes a perch or two. By the time he decloaks on your mining fleet there will be a Saber 500 km off your citadel (because you conveniently left that route open for him) and your miners have to choose which bubble to warp into.

    The main point is that cloaked ships don't care about bubbles unless they're actively camped. Everyone in wormhole space is cloaky, at least initially. The whole idea is just silly and anyone you ask to bubble the system for you is going to laugh in your face (unless they also fly poorly fit hacking myrmidons perhaps).

    The rest of your idea is fine, I guess. I'm not sure why anyone would want to mine in WH space when they could just go to null-sec and use bubbles AND local to their advantage. Not to mention, WH space doesn't really support large-scale mining because your sites will dry up pretty quickly. Anyone with experience in WH space would tell you, you pick your static for the content you want, not your home system (which again - bubbles in your home system won't help you).

    I will leave you alone now though. Good luck with your scheme. I do hope to see you in space. Big smile

    Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

    Titan's Lament

    Sim Cognito
    Obani Gemini Corporation
    #14 - 2016-01-29 13:43:01 UTC
    Malcolm from Marketing wrote:
    Bumblefck wrote:
    Quote:
    My grandmother, Sundoll Otium, and I have been stockpiling ISK to be able to pay for them.




    Seriously though, good luck with this venture - I like the concept and idea, and will be sure to visit if/when this comes to fruition!


    As will every large WH alliance that stumbles over it accompanied by a fleet of dreads.




    https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Wormhole_environment_effects#Wolf_Rayet Destroyers say hai to Dreads.
    Cara Forelli
    Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
    Templis CALSF
    #15 - 2016-01-29 14:28:03 UTC
    Sim Cognito wrote:
    https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Wormhole_environment_effects#Wolf_Rayet Destroyers say hai to Dreads.

    Again...you can't bring dreads in a C4.

    Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

    Titan's Lament