These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

[Graphics complaint FAX]

Author
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#21 - 2016-01-27 20:01:09 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
So why is the Amarr ship standing vertical, but the engines are on the bottom? >>

I do think the Amarr and Minmatar don't even look like ships, more like mini citadels, the Gallante and Caldari at least look like ships.

And why are the engines perpendicular to the flight vector again? Fly Amarr, we go SIDEWAYS!

Just think how the Amarr FAX will look when it is set on the proper plane. It will look like a Station that fell over.

Perhaps CCP is adding variable geometry to them so that the ship will pull a Transformers and change when in and out of triage like how Marauders do with Bastion (hopefully not as subtle though and more like T3D sub modes).

Either that or maybe those are not the engines. The Macharial has always had a mysteriously unused spare engine pod, and the Confessor has a couple of oddly angled "unused" engines too if I recall.

They look fine. Obviously, CCP wanted them to stand out when present on the battlefield, and they do. Don't like the way every ship in the game looks myself, but my only beef is with ships that haven't been updated, the rest are still look good just not my personal liking which is perfectly fine. Don't like them, don't fly them.

Fat man in a little coat.Cool

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#22 - 2016-01-27 20:22:33 UTC
They look like moving stations, cool :D

also

F
R
E
A
K
I
N
G

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L

The Drake is a Lie

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#23 - 2016-01-27 20:29:04 UTC
Weird stuff. Weird is good. There was way too much mainstream design the last couple of years.

+1 CCP!

Remove standings and insurance.

Mr Floydy
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2016-01-27 21:14:33 UTC
They're odd looking things but it's a given that that'll have transformation animations. I fully expect them to look ship like when moving and station like when triaged. We'll see though, I'm certainly looking forward to having some very different looking ships in the game which still feel pretty much in keeping with the current art style.
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#25 - 2016-01-27 21:17:33 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
And why are the engines perpendicular to the flight vector again? Fly Amarr, we go SIDEWAYS!

Of course it has engines pointing down. How else would it be able to hover? It's a VTOL craft.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2016-01-27 22:11:20 UTC
Gallente one is like hybrid of Moros and Myrmidon.
Caldai reminds me an ancient battle helmet with modern design.

Rest of them look like racial POSes. Unfortunatelly those are not ships by design. CCP Art department got scew'ed up first time i guess. Rush is the worst help you could count on.

Please re-do.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#27 - 2016-01-27 22:18:03 UTC
By the way - despite all the snarky remarks, I do like these designs for the most part. My only complaint, if I were to complain, which I am not, would be that the Caldari and the Minmatar FAX look a bit too similar.
NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#28 - 2016-01-28 05:46:50 UTC
I must agree with OP. This is my first post in a long while for eve forums, and I must say those models are terrible. Looks like flying stations. What bugs me most is the amarr one, engine on the bottom? I know its a game, but ... How the hell does that work? Gallente one is fine, but the rest ... No.

I must appeal to CCP to reconsider the models and try again. Sure its my opinion, but nope! Please redesign the models!
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#29 - 2016-01-28 06:08:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Mephiztopheleze
Working in the graphic design and media field as I do; I'm gonna go with 'work in progress' here.

Between Citadels, Skins, some ship remodels AND the Command Destroyer and Faux class models to work on, they have had a lot on their plate lately.

Millions of polygons, sprites and the myriad thousands of other graphical assets don't just appear in the Job Done folder the minute they're dreamed up.

Some poor schmuck, ensconced away under many feet of snow; and quite possibly still nursing the mother of all NYE hangovers; has had to create those assets. Those same poor schmucks deserve a little bit more credit for the work they HAVE done in getting enough stuff together to allow a SiSi test of the new game mechanics.

The beauty and polish will come in due course. In the meantime; do we think we can find it in ourselves to give the art squad a break and let them actually do their jobs prior to rollout on TQ before having a whinge on forums?

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2016-01-28 06:32:15 UTC
Mephiztopheleze wrote:
Working in the graphic design and media field as I do; I'm gonna go with 'work in progress' here.

Between Citadels, Skins, some ship remodels AND the Command Destroyer and Faux class models to work on, they have had a lot on their plate lately.

Millions of polygons, sprites and the myriad thousands of other graphical assets don't just appear in the Job Done folder the minute they're dreamed up.

Some poor schmuck, ensconced away under many feet of snow; and quite possibly still nursing the mother of all NYE hangovers; has had to create those assets. Those same poor schmucks deserve a little bit more credit for the work they HAVE done in getting enough stuff together to allow a SiSi test of the new game mechanics.

The beauty and polish will come in due course. In the meantime; do we think we can find it in ourselves to give the art squad a break and let them actually do their jobs prior to rollout on TQ before having a whinge on forums?

True about hard work, but listen i'm sure nobody force them do do it in such stressfull schedule. When they announced that they have already did some calculatuon on possible manhours. These FAX look halfcooked stuff tbh. Nevertheless with all regards to Art team.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Kuetlzelcoatl
#31 - 2016-01-28 06:37:39 UTC
I think these models look interesting and are completely acceptable for Eve Online.

Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#32 - 2016-01-28 06:40:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Mephiztopheleze
Tiddle Jr wrote:
These FAX look halfcooked stuff tbh.

they are halfcooked, and there's nothing wrong with that at this stage of the development/rollout schedule.

that was my whole point.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#33 - 2016-01-28 07:00:14 UTC
Is it wrong that the Gallente FAX looks like a moros? Or is it just the trademark turd design?

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Miles Winter
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2016-01-28 07:46:03 UTC
I think the Caldari one looks alright, but the rest really aren't my cup of tea.

I get a vague Homeworld vibe from the vertical and 'structure/building' oriented style of it, but it really lacks the elements that made Homeworld's iconic mothership stand out and look nice.

The Apostle for example, is just a sort of lumpy tower. It just... doesn't evoke what I'd expect from a fleet auxiliary/repair ship.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#35 - 2016-01-28 08:37:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Miles Winter wrote:
I think the Caldari one looks alright, but the rest really aren't my cup of tea.

I get a vague Homeworld vibe from the vertical and 'structure/building' oriented style of it, but it really lacks the elements that made Homeworld's iconic mothership stand out and look nice.

The Apostle for example, is just a sort of lumpy tower. It just... doesn't evoke what I'd expect from a fleet auxiliary/repair ship.

However, even when you have seen many ships of similar function, do you expect every one of them to be slightly different copy of the former one?

Creating something completely different from what is available is in first place controversial.

Child born with 6 legs is "controversial" looking. A mother loves the child, no matter in what shape they are conceived. Same as CCP. Lol

Sorry, but you will have to fly in these monstrous abominations. Call it Dr Frankenstein, Re-animator, Necromancer, Scrapdigger, or Support Pump, you will get the idea.
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2016-01-28 08:43:23 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Miles Winter wrote:

However, even when you have seen many ships of similar function, do you expect every one of them to be slightly different copy of the former one?

Creating something completely different from what is available is in first place controversial.

Child born with 6 legs is "controversial" looking. A mother loves the child, no matter in what shape they are conceived. Same as CCP. Lol

In that case i would like my CONCORD RR's are fitted onto Prostitute, and it wasn't really worth of time they spent on doubtfull hulls. Cause Prostitute at least looks better than those flying objects.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#37 - 2016-01-28 08:49:20 UTC
Just put a prostitute inside every ugly ship and pretend you had to do that to recruit full crew to fly this ugly ship.
Mithandra
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2016-01-28 10:04:17 UTC
I quite like em

Eve is the dark haired, totally hot emo gothchild of the gaming community

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#39 - 2016-01-28 10:30:49 UTC
If they look like stations, maybe that's a hint at how they'll work,, me thinks, to rep you'll need to be anchored in some form, making it exactly what they look like,, mini stations Big smile
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#40 - 2016-01-28 10:47:59 UTC
Previous page123Next page