These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

The Upwell Consortium: Who are they?

Author
Troy Cintryx
Strategic Operations Inc.
#1 - 2016-01-25 17:37:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Troy Cintryx
For those in New Eden who are unfamiliar with the Upwell Consortium, Strategic Operations Inc. is providing a brief analysis of the organization and its membership.

The current membership is:

ChemalTech - One of New Eden's prominent manufacturer and designer of electronic warfare systems, ChemalTech is based in Gallente space, however they have stations in all four major empires of New Eden. It is to be noted they also have stations in the Outer Ring region. They would have a major interest in the construction of new ships and equipment, including Citadels.

Mordu's Legion - Currently headed by Muryia Mordu, Mordu's Legion is a mercenary corporation based in Pure Blind. Usually contracted by other corporations, Mordu's Legion recently did significant damage to the Serpentis at the request of ORE. They represent the "enforcement branch" of the Upwell Consortium.

Intaki Bank - New Eden's most secretive bank, the Intaki Bank does not release the names of it's customers or account holders. No one knows where the money comes from, and no one knows where it goes. Organizational analysis suggests Intaki Bank is the major financier of the Upwell Consortium.

Ytiri - Based solely in Caldari space, Ytiri is a storage and transportation company. Previously involved in smuggling and other less-than-honest operations, Ytiri is now one of the main warehousing companies in New Eden, capable of storing massive amounts of goods and materials.

Eifyr - Not a lot is known about the company, or its operations. Based in the Metropolis region, the corporate stations are known for producing implants and other biological related devices. We suspect they are providing implants and combat boosters to members of Mordu's Legion.

Zoar & Sons - An Amarrian company that manufactures ship equipment and ammunition. A traditionally-based corporation in Amarr space, they have the resources to produce whatever ships the Upwell Consortium needs.

ORE - The infamous Outer Ring Excavations (ORE) is an extremely wealthy corporation that conducts massive mining operations. Designers of many popular mining ships including the Venture and Retriever, ORE has the equipment to supply the Upwell Consortium with whatever minerals it needs. ORE has grown over the years, and now includes both prospecting and development departments.

Given the current membership of the Upwell Consortium, it's clear that the organization has the entire manufacturing process covered, from mining to production to storage and delivery. With the inclusion of Mordu's Legion, the Consortium has the capability to defend its assets, and attack those who stand in its way.

We will be monitoring the developments of the Upwell Consortium and providing further information to New Eden as business operations dictate.

Strategic Operations Inc.
"Everywhere you want to be... and even places you don't!"

Building empires in EVE for over 12 years.

Watch my EVE Corporation Management training videos here.

Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#2 - 2016-01-25 19:21:53 UTC
A reasonable first-order analysis.

I may recommend a deeper analysis if you're looking to garner interest from investors or intelligence communities.

For instance, you'll notice that Eifyr & Co. and ChemalTech have both been involved in a joint project before, though with the Sisters of EVE.

The Intaki Bank involvement is curious, also, as you note that it is a black bank, unassociated with the major powers. However, the Intaki Syndicate's de facto leader, Silphy en Diabel, has former ties with the Sisters of EVE and rumored ties with the Serpentis. What's more, the Syndicate is the only faction purchasing Covert Research Tools that isn't explicitly branded as pirates by CONCORD. You'll also perhaps recall that the Syndicate region was the origin of a blast indicating research into wormhole generation.

Also of interest is ORE releasing the Endurance schematics immediately after being retaken by Arkombine and Mordu's Legion, while developing ties with Ducia Foundry. Ducia Foundry, notably, has experience with wormhole operations, while the Endurance happens to be a remarkably effective ship for use in exploiting ice fields in certain newly-opened wormhole systems.

There's more that can be unearthed, I'm sure, but I do strongly advise deeper analysis and attention paid to the objectives of the Upwell Consortium.

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#3 - 2016-01-25 20:07:00 UTC
Heavy influenced by gallentes. Not to be trusted.
One who deals with enemy is almost enemy.

I would recommend monitoring their operations without believing their words and opening fire if they would do something stupid or demand you to do anything.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Makoto Priano
#4 - 2016-01-25 21:04:28 UTC
Is the Mordu's Legion not an honored friend of the State, Kim?

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Morgan Wulver
SAYR Reserve Guard
SAYR Galactic
#5 - 2016-01-25 22:16:18 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:

The relationship isn't that simple. The Legion has been at odds with a large part of the Caldari State ever since Pike's Landing in YC113. That intrusion, in tandem with the attempted assassination of Tibus Heth on Matais (and possibly a second attempt in YC115, though we could never prove this) has placed us at odds for some time. The relationship has only gotten worse since the demilitarization of Caldari Prime, with plenty of civil conflict happening every day between rightful citizens and Mordu's extortionist 'peace keepers.'

It's an unsung fact that Mordu wanted Operation Highlander to be a success and it's likely that he managed to convince many survivors of Heth's purge to fight on the side of the Gallente, possibly tipping the balance of power towards the outcome that we are still living with to this day... An outcome where an old man and his team of pirates are practically holding our homeworld hostage. Gods and spirits, even to this day immortals on the ground are fighting proxy wars for him against ex-Provists and Dragonaurs. Naturally public media is reluctant to report on this obvious clean-up operation that he's been conducting to wipe out any Caldari that still oppose his influence.

When this all began I was a member of the Legion myself, albeit taking part in a small spy network working for the State to keep tabs on all activity in Pure Blind. If it isn't obvious, any attempts to gather any usable intel failed and I made the choice of defecting back to the State instead of remain following Pike's Landing. The point is there are still plenty of us out there who have bad blood with the Legion.

Kirjuun! Uakan! Teknikiara! Kanpai kameitsamuu! Ra ra ra!

Jev North
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-01-25 22:48:18 UTC
No comment on the extraordinary level of inter-empire cooperation, or the interesting mix of shareholders in the various components of the Consortium, then?

Even though our love is cruel; even though our stars are crossed.

James Syagrius
Reclamation
#7 - 2016-01-25 23:16:00 UTC
Troy Cintryx wrote:

ORE - The infamous Outer Ring Excavations (ORE) is an extremely wealthy corporation that conducts massive mining operations. Designers of many popular mining ships including the Venture and Retriever, ORE has the equipment to supply the Upwell Consortium with whatever minerals it needs. ORE has grown over the years, and now includes both prospecting and development departments.

Outer Ring Excavations is infamous?
Makoto Priano
#8 - 2016-01-25 23:51:52 UTC
Morgan Wulver wrote:
Makoto Priano wrote:

The relationship isn't that simple. The Legion has been at odds with a large part of the Caldari State ever since Pike's Landing in YC113. That intrusion, in tandem with the attempted assassination of Tibus Heth on Matais (and possibly a second attempt in YC115, though we could never prove this) has placed us at odds for some time. The relationship has only gotten worse since the demilitarization of Caldari Prime, with plenty of civil conflict happening every day between rightful citizens and Mordu's extortionist 'peace keepers.'

It's an unsung fact that Mordu wanted Operation Highlander to be a success and it's likely that he managed to convince many survivors of Heth's purge to fight on the side of the Gallente, possibly tipping the balance of power towards the outcome that we are still living with to this day... An outcome where an old man and his team of pirates are practically holding our homeworld hostage. Gods and spirits, even to this day immortals on the ground are fighting proxy wars for him against ex-Provists and Dragonaurs. Naturally public media is reluctant to report on this obvious clean-up operation that he's been conducting to wipe out any Caldari that still oppose his influence.

When this all began I was a member of the Legion myself, albeit taking part in a small spy network working for the State to keep tabs on all activity in Pure Blind. If it isn't obvious, any attempts to gather any usable intel failed and I made the choice of defecting back to the State instead of remain following Pike's Landing. The point is there are still plenty of us out there who have bad blood with the Legion.

That's-- that's some impressive tinfoil right there, pilot.

So! Tell me. What happened in Amamake that alienated the State from the Legion? Because while there are some old news reports of a capital ship engagement, as you'd understand capital ship engagements in a warzone aren't exactly a rare occurrance. Do you have any references or news articles about this 'Pike's Landing' thing?

And what indicators do we have that Mordu's Legion attempted an assassination? Was it Mordu's Legion operating independently, or under contract from another party? And do you have references for that? Maker, that mess of the assassination-- are you referring to the shooting at the New Caldari Prime rally in YC114? Or was there another attempt in YC115 I missed, aside from his whole 'flight into criminality'?

As for Operation Highlander--

Yeah. I'll be perfectly frank. You, sir, come across as delusional.

Sinjin Mokk
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2016-01-26 01:05:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Sinjin Mokk
Jev North wrote:
No comment on the extraordinary level of inter-empire cooperation, or the interesting mix of shareholders in the various components of the Consortium, then?

This is business. This is corporate power, quite removed from intergalactic politics....

Or so it would seem.

Either way, this consortium has some pretty impressive corporate muscle behind it. Give them a few years of development and they'll be a very major player.

OP, you've listed the main corporations of the Consortium. Any indication of which minor companies they might be buying up? Any shadow purchases? Any indication on what their ultimate corporate strategy is?

"Angels live, they never die, Apart from us, behind the sky. They're fading souls who've turned to ice, So ashen white in paradise."

Yarosara Ruil
#10 - 2016-01-26 01:31:15 UTC
It seems a few baseliner corporations want to play with the big boys now. Surely making a power block coalition is going to work out for them just fine. Surely provoking the Serpentis by taking their very profitable ORE toys was in hindsight a great idea. Right?

If the Upwell Consortium didn't stank of Gallente influence, they would almost be respectable.
James Syagrius
Reclamation
#11 - 2016-01-26 02:56:38 UTC
Sinjin Mokk wrote:
Jev North wrote:

This is business. This is corporate power, quite removed from intergalactic politics....

Or so it would seem.

Either way, this consortium has some pretty impressive corporate muscle behind it. Give them a few years of development and they'll be a very major player.

OP, you've listed the main corporations of the Consortium. Any indication of which minor companies they might be buying up? Any shadow purchases? Any indication on what their ultimate corporate strategy is?

Oh now lets not be paranoid. We industrialist have watched as those with a more kinetic personalty have driven the agenda. Perhaps its time for... another way of thinking.
Morgan Wulver
SAYR Reserve Guard
SAYR Galactic
#12 - 2016-01-26 03:54:48 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:

That's-- that's some impressive tinfoil right there, pilot.

So! Tell me. What happened in Amamake that alienated the State from the Legion? Because while there are some old news reports of a capital ship engagement, as you'd understand capital ship engagements in a warzone aren't exactly a rare occurrance. Do you have any references or news articles about this 'Pike's Landing' thing?

You can't seriously tell me that you haven't heard of this conflict. Even if it's never been outwardly identified by CONCORD (likely because it was a massive failure on their part) you can't deny that when a major conflict erupts between all four empires alongside the forces of Mordu's Legion information tends to travel pretty quickly by word of mouth among those in the military. I will admit that rumors spread by grunts and starship operators may not be the most reliable, but there is enough reason to believe that Pike's Landing was tied closely with the emergence of immortal infantry. Maybe I can't say for certain what happened on the planet itself, but it's enough to question the man's ulterior motives. That's not being paranoid, that's making the rational and informed choice to ere on the side of caution when dealing with the Legion.

Quote:
And what indicators do we have that Mordu's Legion attempted an assassination? Was it Mordu's Legion operating independently, or under contract from another party?

It's very obvious that an assassination plot was attempted at least once, and if Haatakan Oiritsuu is to be believed she had a large part to play in the mission. Now that she's back in power, I'm sure you'll find that she'll take any moment she can to claim credit for any sort of action put in place to subvert the Provists and remove Heth from power. In that regard, Mordu was arguably merely fulfilling a contract for a State corporation. Fair enough, I understand this. However, given the initial failed assassination attempt on Matais followed by the attempt on his life by a cloned soldier in YC114 (thank you for correcting me ma'am) it's not that far of a stretch when joint with the rumors of what happened in Amamake to say that he was likely involved in that attempt as well. Possibly independent from any orders. Ancestors choke, what's to say that he didn't somehow play a part with the '514' massacres across the Caldari State too?

I'm not rolling around in the fettle position somehow claiming that Mordu is the bane of the State and responsible for all of our hardships. But he certainly has an agenda of his own that we should be cautious of. I think from the above statements, I've proven that we can't just easily write him off as an "honored friend" of the State. As I said, it's more complicated than that.

Quote:

Oh how quaint, it can do the strawman trick.

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2016-01-26 04:10:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Elmund Egivand
Here's the deal, nobody's owning up about whatever the hell happened over Pike's Landing. All we do really know is that there's a capital fleet engagement, and that the Feds, the Republic, Mordu's and the State...sorry, Ishukone, were pointing their guns at the Imperial capital fleet (was it the Golden Fleet? Please help clarify this for me) over a strategically insignificant outpost in a Pendulum War hotspot for undisclosed reasons. The Legion didn't do anything to antagonise the State there. Or maybe they did, if Legion cooperating with Feds AND Ishukone can be constituted as pissing off the State but it is already understood that the Legion is only ever on the side that benefits them.

Mordu's Legion relations with the State has always been all business all the time, far as I know.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Morgan Wulver
SAYR Reserve Guard
SAYR Galactic
#14 - 2016-01-26 04:21:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Morgan Wulver
I don't disagree. All the more reason to distrust them, right?

Additionally, I do believe it was the Golden Fleet. Or at least a contingent from it. No one really knows for sure, but they deployed troops into the area just before going to extreme lengths to attempt to glass it from orbit. But this is a whole other conversation.

Makoto Priano
#15 - 2016-01-26 05:03:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Makoto Priano
It? Pilot, I'll freely admit to being overly combative on this forum, and indeed to becoming dismissive of your views when you began attributing elements of Operation Highlander and Heth's fall to the machinations of the Legion. Please understand. It is not uncommon for pilots to enter these forums making unverifiable claims about secret dealings, inside knowledge, a kenning that only they have due to their daring past. Often, these pilots are unable to provide proof of their claims, are unable to support the plots and conspiracies they espouse, and are outspoken in defense of something noone can prove or disprove. The very nature of inquiry, the very nature of our understanding of the world, must be predicated upon observable truth. Else, why do we pierce the veil? Why do we as Caldari focus so greatly on incisive intellect, on a pragmatism that borders on ruthlessness?

I apologize for being dismissive of your claims, pilot, but you bring no proof.

Something happened on Pike's Landing, and everyone and their dog showed up? Not proof of a Legion conspiracy, especially if the event was so unimportant that it didn't make a blip in the media.

You and Oiritsuu-haani had a hair-braiding session, and she told you about all her schemes? Come now. All I know of Oiritsuu-haani is that she is a capable and savvy operator, who was able to survive years of exile to return to her post as KK's CEO, and still offered a major share of her personal holdings to prevent its insolvency. Why would she parade around an assassination attempt for a man who had risen from within her own corporation, an act which many would still regard as criminal? Why, when she is staging a heroic return, and such a thing would potentially cause discontent?

For better or worse, indeed, Mordu did issue a decoration to both sides who fought in low orbit over Caldari Prime, and the Legion has spoken gladly of the swift resolution of the battle. But this is not proof of a conspiracy. Indeed, it's even been noted that the Legion, the only police force trusted by both the State and the Federation, has been even-handed in their handling of civil disturbances.

As for turning pilots against Heth, come now! Heth was doing that completely of his own accord. Indeed, he barely needed to, given that capsuleers, given a large enough target, will flock of their own accord to take part in its destruction.

Please, pilot.

As for the matter of the ideological purity or lack thereof of the Upwell Consortium, I'll work with an attaché to provide a proper review in the coming hours.

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
#16 - 2016-01-26 06:07:54 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:

1. There were collisions and fights between Mordu's Legion and Caldari Navy during the current war.
2. As Mr. Wulver has been noted, they were fighting in Amamake against our ally.
3. They support gallente occupation regime of about half of Caldari Prime.

I can't tell about their intentions for or against operation Highlander, I am not a telepath, and consider this branch of talk as... superfluous. (I prefer to judge others on facts, not rumors or implicit intentions, Mr. Wulver...) But their support of the ongoing occupation of half of our homeworld by gallentean swines neither makes them allies nor friends.

Makoto Priano wrote:

I won't defend Mr. Wulver's position about Legion's role in the atrocity named Operation Highlander itself, however I would like to state clearly that a well known dishonored liar like you, Makoto Priano has no say in deciding who is delusional and who is not.

What you did right now was an outright hypocrisy, since you in first hand was delusional, publically claiming you saw me flying something I hasn't, naming me being part of organization I never got an honor to be invited into and even attempted to putting a mental diagnosis on a completely mental healthy Caldari Officer, without having neither medical analyses nor medical license.

I know swines love to live in dirt. Do you love it too, Makoto?

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
#17 - 2016-01-26 06:11:26 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:

I apologize for being dismissive of your claims, pilot, but you bring no proof.

This coming from YOU in the first place? Really?..

You could neither bring proofs when you were lying about me, nor had courage to fight for your lies. What right do you have to demand others to prove something to you?

Makoto Priano
#18 - 2016-01-26 06:33:38 UTC
Pilots, on the matter of Kim's logical capability, I present this exchange:

My discussing Heth's failings.

Her tired rebuttal.

My systematic proof of my discussion of Heth's failings.

Her complete dismissal of historical fact.

Her willingness to denounce even the most honorable among us is further proof of how little value her word holds here.

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
#19 - 2016-01-26 06:55:30 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
Pilots, on the matter of Kim's logical capability, I present this exchange:
... is further proof of how little value her word holds here.

Makoto, stop digging your pit even deeper.
It is YOUR words that don't hold any value here since you have devalued yourself there .

My words pretty much have meaning, unlike yours, and that's why I prefer simply to not waste my precious time on such worthless dishonored liar like you by going into details and refuting each of your delusional claims. You have proven to be liar in the link above and I can simply use it as a fact against anything else you say.

Makoto Priano
#20 - 2016-01-26 07:20:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Makoto Priano
And yet, for not wanting to waste your time, you've sought out exchanges I'm involved in a total of twenty times with that tired argument.

That said, back to the matter at hand, pilots.

Pilots Ruil and Wulver, on the matter of the Upwell Consortium, I'd offer this very simple statistical measure of the State's view of the Upwell Consortium. By associating the aforementioned corporations with their parent states, we can derive a CONCORD-standardized diplomatic value for the organization. We can, of course, debate the efficacy of this system, but it should serve in a pinch. Using a value for ORE of -2.0, the Intaki Syndicate of -2.0 for the Intaki Bank, the Gallente Federation a value of -5.0 for ChemalTech, the Minmatar Republic of -2.0 for Eifyr & Co., the Amarr Empire of +7.0 for Zoar and Sons, and the Mordu's Legion of +9.0, the average value of standings comes to 0.71. While obviously not a very brilliant standing, this does cross the technical threshold CONCORD uses for interstellar standings to qualify as 'good,' if not especially so. This of course completely ignores the presence of Ytiri, a Caldari corporation in good standing. If we assume a conservative value of 5.0 for Ytiri, the average is pushed to 1.42, or at 10.0 an average of 2.14.

Obviously, this value isn't terribly impressive, but it is positive. At its various stages, it is roughly comparable to our relations with the Society of Conscious Thought, with InterBus, or with the now-defunct Jove Directorate. While we are not closely aligned with these organizations, we hold them in cordial regard.

Clearly, these standings generally account for our historical relation with the power in question.

In the case of ORE, while of Gallente origin, the corporation fled Federation space when the Federation attempted to extort wealth from the corporation. While of Gallente origin, is that not the sort of resistance to Federation hegemony a State citizen can support? And so their standing, while not positive, is better than the Federation.

Similarly, in the case of the Intaki Syndicate, we have a people who fled the Federation during the Gallente-Caldari War in a quest for independence. While they exist in a legal gray area and aren't considered a CONCORD signatory, they are nonetheless not considered a pirate power, but instead an outer region economic base. Again, the Intaki are a people who the Caldari should feel a kinship to. And so their standing, while not positive, is better than the Federation.

In the case of the Legion, we have a group who fought on behalf of the Caldari during the war, and who remain in very good standing with the State. After all, while the Legion is mercenary, business is business. We can trust them to follow through with their contracts, and to always honorably and dutifully go about their business. We regard them even more highly than we do the Amarr, after all, and have provided them technical assistance to develop their own ships, via Ishukone's Kiiragustektaa.

In brief, what I say is this: do the various players in the Upwell Consortium have historical ties to the Federation? Sure. However, the majority of them are not friendly to the Federation, and indeed each CONCORD signatory has exactly one representative in Upwell. That's an adroit political move that should put them above reproach.

12Next page