These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

some newbie questions

First post First post
Author
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#21 - 2016-01-21 18:43:07 UTC
Removed an off topic post.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#22 - 2016-01-21 18:50:41 UTC
Rykker Bow
Center for Advanced Studies
#23 - 2016-01-21 19:20:01 UTC


That. Is. Awesome. Props to that guy, takes some ingenuity to come up with that.

The Mjolnir Bloc - Lowsec PvP for the sophisticated - The Mjolnir Bloc Killboards

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#24 - 2016-01-21 20:04:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Vortexo VonBrenner
Cade Connelly wrote:
- if I buy one PLEX, can I reasonably expect to be able to get enough ISK to just keep my account going?


- I remember reading about issues with steam, is this still true?


Don't even worry yourself about playing for free / getting plex. Just buy a subscription (cheaper than out-of-game plex per month anyway) and free yourself to enjoy EvE.
The isk will come. You enjoying the game is more important than isk anyway. If you find that you like doing something that makes you isk, then fine, why not - but do it because first you want to do it.
There are many people playing EvE who don't have much isk and never have but are enjoying themselves with the game for years. There are people that have a lot of isk and fairly easily make more (but not when they first start playing this game usually). Bottom line - do what you want.
Neuntausend
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#25 - 2016-01-21 21:02:19 UTC
You can go the "normal" MMOG route and grind.
- If you mine Highsec asteroids, you can make maybe 20-ish million isk per hour spent.
- If you run Level 4 Missions or Nullsec Anomalies, you can get a steady 100-ish million ISK per hour doing that.
- If you find a nice wormhole corp, you can make maybe 500-ish Million ISK per hour running sites with your corpmates.
- ...

However - none of that you will be able to do efficiently as a newbie, so don't try that right away. It will just leave you bored and/or discouraged.

You can also go the not quite as "normal" route as far as MMOGs go, and play the economy.
- Trading: Set up low buy orders and high sell orders
- Speculation: Anticipate changes in supply and demand, and stock up accordingly, to sell at a high profit later
- Manipulation: Strategically Buy and Sell huge amounts of certain goods to actively manipulate the price of the wares you are trading.

The ISK/h ratio on those has no limit. The more you invest, the more profit you make, the more you can invest. However, you will need a certain knack for business, and a good amount of game-knowledge. It's not a good idea to blindly trade without the faintest idea of what it is you are trading.

Or you can go the one route that makes Eve different from so many other games and be a cheating, thieving, lying, scamming bastard. People are still falling for the good old ISK doubling scam, but almost anything goes. People have in the past acted as escrow agents for titan sales, and then kept both the titan and the money. People have set up financial services, just to run away with all the money after a while. People have run and are still running gambling services. The possibilities are endless and limited only by your imagination. I have seen newbies pull off scams within their first few days.

All that said, though - as others have stated before: I wouldn't recommend trying to play Eve "for free". Just play Eve, and if you make enough on the side to PLEX your account - great!
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Federation Uprising
#26 - 2016-01-21 21:45:00 UTC
Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
Actually you are quite wrong about eve. In fact you couldnt be more wrong about eve. Four reasons more people dont stick with eve:


LOL! You say this then go on to ADD on with more reasons why people don't stick with EVE. I never said it wasn't a good game, or that it didn't have value at all and I did say it was very difficult, just not on par with the monthly costs of other MMO's... so I'm not seeing what I had so horribly wrong.

You personally may feel that MASSIVE CONTENT (<= read with a loud booming voice!) = 'worth more money per month than other MMO's' but I would posit that is a minority view in the gamer community, most would take fun and playability into account vs. cost... thus validating my comment about cost vs. play amount. The more likely reason CCP has to charge more is that to make enough money as a company, they have to charge their player base a given amount to stay in business. A smaller player base means a higher monthly cost to stay competitive.

Cost vs. value is entirely up to the individual to decide. If you take the most popular MMOs cost as a baseline, you can grind in it and play for free, just like EVE, but with less time taken to do so, possibly letting you enjoy it's extended content more. If you're constantly grinding for ISK to buy PLEX and never really get to do what you want and instead have to be in an ISK efficient profession, how much fun will that person actually have? (That's something of a philosophical question there, not a statement of fact or even my personal opinion on the topic.)

To the context of the original poster, it isn't reasonable to expect to play for free after 30 days with any kind of 'normal' life. The skill training alone would make it hard to do. I've not said impossible, it's just not something that would be easy at all to do.

I'm not asking CCP to change anything, only observing what I can from a newbie's perspective. As you said Thorian, the choices you make in real life have consequences, and the choices that CCP makes with their game applies that rule to them. If they want it to be more popular, they could do so, but risk losing their existing player base to do it.

What I will say, is that so far I've found more intellectually engaging people on EVE than anywhere else, so it's kind of a an uber-geek game. I LIKE (<= read with a loud booming voice!) that! I'm not dissing the game, but I have to have a realistic grasp on where it sits and what its purpose is vs. other MMORPG's or MMO Strategy games if I'm going to compare my own personal 'entertainment' value vs. return here. That is, I think, what the OP was kind of driving towards.





Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Federation Uprising
#27 - 2016-01-21 21:59:22 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:
You can go the "normal" MMOG route and grind.
- If you mine Highsec asteroids, you can make maybe 20-ish million isk per hour spent.
- If you run Level 4 Missions or Nullsec Anomalies, you can get a steady 100-ish million ISK per hour doing that.
- If you find a nice wormhole corp, you can make maybe 500-ish Million ISK per hour running sites with your corpmates.
- ...

I'd like to know how to do the latter two on a trial account. If I can skill up and ship up fast enough to do level 4 missions or run sites at 500 Mil Isk per hour, I have totally missed where I should be researching!

Neuntausend wrote:

You can also go the not quite as "normal" route as far as MMOGs go, and play the economy.
- Trading: Set up low buy orders and high sell orders
- Speculation: Anticipate changes in supply and demand, and stock up accordingly, to sell at a high profit later
- Manipulation: Strategically Buy and Sell huge amounts of certain goods to actively manipulate the price of the wares you are trading.

The ISK/h ratio on those has no limit. The more you invest, the more profit you make, the more you can invest. However, you will need a certain knack for business, and a good amount of game-knowledge. It's not a good idea to blindly trade without the faintest idea of what it is you are trading.

Can't see much fun for the action or not stock market interested person on this route. It also doesn't help your toon with the ship/space aspect of the game, you're a desk jockey for the most part. It's like being a stock broker every day not that it can't be exciting, but...

Neuntausend wrote:
Or you can go the one route that makes Eve different from so many other games and be a cheating, thieving, lying, scamming bastard. People are still falling for the good old ISK doubling scam, but almost anything goes. People have in the past acted as escrow agents for titan sales, and then kept both the titan and the money. People have set up financial services, just to run away with all the money after a while. People have run and are still running gambling services. The possibilities are endless and limited only by your imagination. I have seen newbies pull off scams within their first few days.

Hmmm.... this might say something about the core ethics of a portion of the EVE player base...

Neuntausend wrote:
All that said, though - as others have stated before: I wouldn't recommend trying to play Eve "for free". Just play Eve, and if you make enough on the side to PLEX your account - great!

This I agree with entirely.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#28 - 2016-01-21 23:12:50 UTC
6 years in, and never ever worried about PLEX-ing any of the accounts I had (currently on just 1 account for reasons).

Why?

Because even back then, as a student, just 2 days of my part time job paid for 6 months of EVE subscription. So in a month, I could fun all the accounts, for 1 year easily.

Which made all my game time free to do what ever the **** I wanted to do, and all ISK I made was there to be spent however I liked (damn you Somerblink).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Memphis Baas
#29 - 2016-01-22 00:16:58 UTC
Let's not go there. There are personal situations and parts of the world where getting dollars or euros is difficult, and we don't need to discuss them or belittle anyone to get a job or whatever.

The options have been presented:

- you have the steady low-income grinds that are available, more profitable in lower security space (high-sec is crowded and really crappy): mining, PI, agent missions or killing NPCs in asteroid belts, FW battlegrounds PVP, exploration, incursions, character-building-for-sale, courier contracts.

- you have percentage-based activities, where the profit is a % of what you put in, so you have to have several millions to make more millions (basically, trading or manufacturing).

- and you have the crazy schemes that depend on luck or guile to make off with a lot of money, if you're in the right place at the right time or shooting the correct moron (scamming, running banks, running lotteries, corp theft, piracy of juicy targets, begging, war declaration extortion schemes).

- or you can give RL money to CCP and buy PLEX or Aur and convert them to in-game cash, pretty effortless and very efficient (because CCP likes your RL money) - and you can pay with a variety of methods that are acceptable to CCP.

The various activities have their own sub-forums, with specific guides posted by the veterans, and with people willing to answer more specific questions (such as, 'what items should I trade'), and willing to give you more specific details to get you started.

The game, however, requires a lot of homework to make the big bucks; you need to learn the game details and which ships are popular, you need to watch the news and devblogs and check the test servers to figure out what CCP is changing, you need to figure out what items are used to manufacture which ships (there are price dependencies, and the market fluctuates), and you need to "get" people and how they'll behave and react, to be able to tell if someone is going to fall for your lies and scams or not.

So, as it's been said already by a number of people, pay your first month and start with "learn the game details" by playing the game and asking the questions. It's a good starting point.
Thorian Baalnorn
Vergnugen Industries
Evictus.
#30 - 2016-01-22 01:07:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Baalnorn
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
Actually you are quite wrong about eve. In fact you couldnt be more wrong about eve. Four reasons more people dont stick with eve:


LOL! You say this then go on to ADD on with more reasons why people don't stick with EVE. I never said it wasn't a good game, or that it didn't have value at all and I did say it was very difficult, just not on par with the monthly costs of other MMO's... so I'm not seeing what I had so horribly wrong.

You personally may feel that MASSIVE CONTENT (<= read with a loud booming voice!) = 'worth more money per month than other MMO's' but I would posit that is a minority view in the gamer community, most would take fun and playability into account vs. cost... thus validating my comment about cost vs. play amount. The more likely reason CCP has to charge more is that to make enough money as a company, they have to charge their player base a given amount to stay in business. A smaller player base means a higher monthly cost to stay competitive.

Cost vs. value is entirely up to the individual to decide. If you take the most popular MMOs cost as a baseline, you can grind in it and play for free, just like EVE, but with less time taken to do so, possibly letting you enjoy it's extended content more. If you're constantly grinding for ISK to buy PLEX and never really get to do what you want and instead have to be in an ISK efficient profession, how much fun will that person actually have? (That's something of a philosophical question there, not a statement of fact or even my personal opinion on the topic.)

To the context of the original poster, it isn't reasonable to expect to play for free after 30 days with any kind of 'normal' life. The skill training alone would make it hard to do. I've not said impossible, it's just not something that would be easy at all to do.

I'm not asking CCP to change anything, only observing what I can from a newbie's perspective. As you said Thorian, the choices you make in real life have consequences, and the choices that CCP makes with their game applies that rule to them. If they want it to be more popular, they could do so, but risk losing their existing player base to do it.

What I will say, is that so far I've found more intellectually engaging people on EVE than anywhere else, so it's kind of a an uber-geek game. I LIKE (<= read with a loud booming voice!) that! I'm not dissing the game, but I have to have a realistic grasp on where it sits and what its purpose is vs. other MMORPG's or MMO Strategy games if I'm going to compare my own personal 'entertainment' value vs. return here. That is, I think, what the OP was kind of driving towards.








$15 a month was the standard subscription price in 2003 and was for at least 10 years after that. Games have went to freemium and hybrid versions which are designed solely to drain money out of players. CCP doesnt care about that. They are more interested in making a cool sandbox not getting rich like *cought*Blizzard*cough. To hear them speak, it seems like its a hobby to them they get paid to do.

The subs of eve are over 500k last i checked. It started out at 25k. considering the little amount they spend on advertising and that most players come here through word of mouth or happen upon it looking for games to play online... thats pretty successful.

Eve is in reverse of most games. It starts out hard and gets easier. It starts out a bit boring( we use to complain about this as most people dont give it a chance because starting out is rough, and we wanted it to be a bit easier and more fun for newbs so they could see what its really about) and gets much more fun.

Content wont seem that impressive until you are able to do most of it... instead of saying do i really want to grind x today... your like....what do i want to do today.? anoms, WHs, sites? missions? mine? etc etc. Its like being able to pick a new job.... every day but already be experienced in that job.


the eve community tends to be much more intellectual than a typcial game. Not necessarily geeks but typically more professional or creative people tend to play eve. And while some players do act childish at times, generally the player base is much more mature than you find in most games. A lot of college students play eve.

you will probably find this game much more entertaining in 3 months, and it will likely continue to increase in entertainment value. It has for me and many of my friends. Even though we do take breaks from it as it can kind of suck you in and not let go and you need to just get out for a few months.

Sometimes you are the squirrel and sometimes you are the nut. Today, you are the nut and the squirrel is hungry.

Cade Connelly
Pandemic Rust
#31 - 2016-01-22 01:40:19 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
Let's not go there. There are personal situations ... where getting dollars or euros is difficult, and we don't need to discuss them or belittle anyone to get a job or whatever.


This is my problem - I don't even have the $20 for the single PLEX, but I do have $20 steambux I got as a gift, which is why I asked about Steam

You can get another trial right after the first one expires right? I've spent the first two weeks of this one loafing around.

Thorian Baalnorn
Vergnugen Industries
Evictus.
#32 - 2016-01-22 05:29:32 UTC
Cade Connelly wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:
Let's not go there. There are personal situations ... where getting dollars or euros is difficult, and we don't need to discuss them or belittle anyone to get a job or whatever.


This is my problem - I don't even have the $20 for the single PLEX, but I do have $20 steambux I got as a gift, which is why I asked about Steam

You can get another trial right after the first one expires right? I've spent the first two weeks of this one loafing around.



The normal sub amount is $15. Its not possible on a new character to earn enough isk for a plex in a month without capital unless someone is going to just give you a plex or something. But you can always start training and making money and maybe in the future your situation will change and you will be able to get a subscription.

Sometimes you are the squirrel and sometimes you are the nut. Today, you are the nut and the squirrel is hungry.

Luke Skywalking
C0NC0RD Branch Office
#33 - 2016-01-22 10:39:41 UTC
Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Thorian Baalnorn wrote:
Actually you are quite wrong about eve. In fact you couldnt be more wrong about eve. Four reasons more people dont stick with eve:


LOL! You say this then go on to ADD on with more reasons why people don't stick with EVE. I never said it wasn't a good game, or that it didn't have value at all and I did say it was very difficult, just not on par with the monthly costs of other MMO's... so I'm not seeing what I had so horribly wrong.

You personally may feel that MASSIVE CONTENT (<= read with a loud booming voice!) = 'worth more money per month than other MMO's' but I would posit that is a minority view in the gamer community, most would take fun and playability into account vs. cost... thus validating my comment about cost vs. play amount. The more likely reason CCP has to charge more is that to make enough money as a company, they have to charge their player base a given amount to stay in business. A smaller player base means a higher monthly cost to stay competitive.

Cost vs. value is entirely up to the individual to decide. If you take the most popular MMOs cost as a baseline, you can grind in it and play for free, just like EVE, but with less time taken to do so, possibly letting you enjoy it's extended content more. If you're constantly grinding for ISK to buy PLEX and never really get to do what you want and instead have to be in an ISK efficient profession, how much fun will that person actually have? (That's something of a philosophical question there, not a statement of fact or even my personal opinion on the topic.)

To the context of the original poster, it isn't reasonable to expect to play for free after 30 days with any kind of 'normal' life. The skill training alone would make it hard to do. I've not said impossible, it's just not something that would be easy at all to do.

I'm not asking CCP to change anything, only observing what I can from a newbie's perspective. As you said Thorian, the choices you make in real life have consequences, and the choices that CCP makes with their game applies that rule to them. If they want it to be more popular, they could do so, but risk losing their existing player base to do it.

What I will say, is that so far I've found more intellectually engaging people on EVE than anywhere else, so it's kind of a an uber-geek game. I LIKE (<= read with a loud booming voice!) that! I'm not dissing the game, but I have to have a realistic grasp on where it sits and what its purpose is vs. other MMORPG's or MMO Strategy games if I'm going to compare my own personal 'entertainment' value vs. return here. That is, I think, what the OP was kind of driving towards.








$15 a month was the standard subscription price in 2003 and was for at least 10 years after that. Games have went to freemium and hybrid versions which are designed solely to drain money out of players. CCP doesnt care about that. They are more interested in making a cool sandbox not getting rich like *cought*Blizzard*cough. To hear them speak, it seems like its a hobby to them they get paid to do.

The subs of eve are over 500k last i checked. It started out at 25k. considering the little amount they spend on advertising and that most players come here through word of mouth or happen upon it looking for games to play online... thats pretty successful.

Eve is in reverse of most games. It starts out hard and gets easier. It starts out a bit boring( we use to complain about this as most people dont give it a chance because starting out is rough, and we wanted it to be a bit easier and more fun for newbs so they could see what its really about) and gets much more fun.

Content wont seem that impressive until you are able to do most of it... instead of saying do i really want to grind x today... your like....what do i want to do today.? anoms, WHs, sites? missions? mine? etc etc. Its like being able to pick a new job.... every day but already be experienced in that job.


the eve community tends to be much more intellectual than a typcial game. Not necessarily geeks but typically more professional or creative people tend to play eve. And while some players do act childish at times, generally the player base is much more mature than you find in most games. A lot of college students play eve.

you will probably find this game much more entertaining in 3 months, and it will likely continue to increase in entertainment value. It has for me and many of my friends. Even though we do take breaks from it as it can kind of suck you in and not let go and you need to just get out for a few months.



Do you mind if I add you as a contact in game. Seems like I have a lot to learn from you. And I agree with most of your pointers.

No one method is the right method, nor the wrong method.

Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2016-01-22 11:43:10 UTC
I assume you mean as a new player. The answer is "probably not".

Making ISK requires skill and knowledge, which you don't have right now.

With the low skills you start out with you can't do a lot of activities that are more profitable.

Don't forget it isn't enough to make the 1.2B you need for the PLEX, you also need to pay for ships, skills and modules as you progress. So, you would probably need more like 1.4B per month at least during the first few months which comes out to about 50 million every day. You can make about 2M ISK per hour doing mining in a Venture when you start, so that will not cut it. As your skills improve you could boost that to maybe 10M an hour if you really maxed out and maybe got into Retrievers so, then in month 2 or so you could make 50M with 5 hours mining per day, So if you mined for at least 5 hours every day you could maybe do it. I have heard that doing Level 1 mining missions non-stop even as a newbie it is possible to make 1B ISK per month, but have not verified that. You would have to know how to work the LP system to make that work. Since you don't know anything that's not going to happen.

There are a couple issues: if you are mining constantly then you are not learning about the game. EVE takes a lot of learning and if you are mining you are not learning, or learning slowly. Also, normally you have to fly around a lot to do various things, including look for new asteroids to mine. Obviously if you are flying around, you are not making money. Don't forget other people are mining too and competing with you. You could be mining a nice field, and a pack of six exhumers could appear and vacuum up all your roids in 15 minutes. Sorry, now you have to move.

I have a friend who started a month ago and he still thinks 1M is a lot of money. That should be your metric.

It is possible to make 1.5B per month trading, but once again that takes a lot of knowledge, experience and skill. Very few people can cut it as bigtime traders.

Also, note that this question has been asked many times before, so the fact that you did not have the aptitude to use search functions and answer this question by yourself already suggests that it could be quite a long time before you are making 1.4B per month.
Memphis Baas
#35 - 2016-01-22 12:44:11 UTC
Cade Connelly wrote:
You can get another trial right after the first one expires right? I've spent the first two weeks of this one loafing around.


You can get trial as many times as you want, but each time you have to create a new (trial) account (with no characters), and then start a new character which you can play for 2 weeks or whatever the time is.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#36 - 2016-01-22 14:02:42 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

One of the reasons that I can see why EVE is not as popular is due to the costs, but that's just one among several reasons.


The cost is far from the reason.


The reason why EVE isn't as popular, because they never intended to be.

Simple as that, CCP even stated that themself in the past that they do not target the general audience that others MMOs are targeting.

EVE doesn't want to compete with WoW, SWTOR, etc. etc. etc.
They have chosen to target a different audience and they are succesful in it (most EVE players don't really love other MMOs like they do with EVE, the same counts for the "Fox populi" of MMOs that hate EVE because it doesn't suit them).


Really, if you buy a year of sub in EVE, it comes down to about 11 € / month, which is quite cheap for unlimited game time (keep in mind, even when logged off you are still doing stuff - training skills, market orders are still going) for 30 days.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Thorian Baalnorn
Vergnugen Industries
Evictus.
#37 - 2016-01-22 15:37:38 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

One of the reasons that I can see why EVE is not as popular is due to the costs, but that's just one among several reasons.


The cost is far from the reason.


The reason why EVE isn't as popular, because they never intended to be.

Simple as that, CCP even stated that themself in the past that they do not target the general audience that others MMOs are targeting.

EVE doesn't want to compete with WoW, SWTOR, etc. etc. etc.
They have chosen to target a different audience and they are succesful in it (most EVE players don't really love other MMOs like they do with EVE, the same counts for the "Fox populi" of MMOs that hate EVE because it doesn't suit them).


Really, if you buy a year of sub in EVE, it comes down to about 11 € / month, which is quite cheap for unlimited game time (keep in mind, even when logged off you are still doing stuff - training skills, market orders are still going) for 30 days.


When i take a break from eve it is not to go play another space game. Its becuase i want to stop playing space games for a while and miss playing games like neverwinter nights and elder scrolls...with magic and had held weapons.

But i find myself comparing these games to eve. The content becomes a boring grind doing the same thing over and over for very little gain only to finally get it and the devs raise the bar so its obsolete after all the work i did to get it. Then you have games like wow, where the first gear set from the xpack is 2 or 3 times stronger than the best gear of the last. Their is no smooth transition.

Again like Wow the games seem really dumb down. You have a skill rotation that is the standard practice and you just keep pushing the same buttons over and over... occasionally at certain times you have to move a few feet so you dont get hit by some AOE damage. PVP is nearly nonexistent and when it happens the players are so unbalanced in gear that its not a fight its a slaughter.

I came to eve originally from a game called shadowbane. It was sort of like wow but the pvp was a lot more balanced as was the gear. It lacked the content of wow in world size and the graphics werent quite as good as wows so it died with unchecked gold farmers.

Freemium games are the worse. I learned quickly free is not really free. free means " we will let you play but only as an active farm for those that give us money". The money sink to compete became enough that i could be a trillionaire in eve without ever leaving dock. Most require an investment of $100 a month to stay even remotely competitive and the content is even more lacking that games like wow.

Its not even eve itself that makes me want to take a break. Its some of the players and their egos. Such as a certain unnamed alliance that for quite a while would just constantly invade various space with their ridiculous amounts of supers for no reason other than have something to do. That kind of gameplay bores me( i cant stand egomaniacs anyway)

Im glad to see that ccp is working on and has worked on various solutions since i left to fix that problem as it was starting to have the same pvp problem wow does.

And im always glad to see Eve is not only still going strong but has many improvements since i left. I know its going to be around for awhile. I believe CCP has committed to a goal of keeping it around "forever" which is good for players who feel the game, because of its age may be ready to die out and ccp might be ready to move on to something else. While most game companies are like that...they rather make a new game then invest in their current one. CCP seems to of found ways to make the entire game better as we progress and they dont seem to be limited by technology of when the game was originally made. Makes me wonder why other companies cannot do that.

Sometimes you are the squirrel and sometimes you are the nut. Today, you are the nut and the squirrel is hungry.

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Federation Uprising
#38 - 2016-01-25 19:10:11 UTC
J'Poll wrote:


The cost is far from the reason.


The reason why EVE isn't as popular, because they never intended to be.

Simple as that, CCP even stated that themself in the past that they do not target the general audience that others MMOs are targeting.

EVE doesn't want to compete with WoW, SWTOR, etc. etc. etc.
They have chosen to target a different audience and they are succesful in it (most EVE players don't really love other MMOs like they do with EVE, the same counts for the "Fox populi" of MMOs that hate EVE because it doesn't suit them).

I don't think there is a single reason, but your point shows a possible connection to CCP's choices, which I mentioned previously. If indeed intentional on CCP's part, that would certainly be an interesting choice. I'd need to hear it from their 'lips' so to speak to truly understand their thinking on that matter. I'm sure they'd like to be popular and rich, but they may like their hardcore playerbase more... Something to ruminate on.

J'Poll wrote:

Really, if you buy a year of sub in EVE, it comes down to about 11 € / month, which is quite cheap for unlimited game time (keep in mind, even when logged off you are still doing stuff - training skills, market orders are still going) for 30 days.

Well, that's exactly what I did. I took the year deal and decided to give myself time to figure this game out. Hopefully my friend and I can have a corp up and running in that time, making decent ISK and PLEXing regularly. If not, I guess I just *fail*.

Now, I'm not a beginner in MMO's (RPG or Strategy), and I have a long history of Computer Gaming, starting with the old original text character based "Star Trek'" game, through Stellar Crusade (if any of you recall that PC space game... bonus points!), Starfleet Command, and was on the Inner Circle (working directly with Taldren developers) on Starfleet Command II. I have current 'paid' accounts for WoW and SWTOR. I play those two whenever they have new content and intend to use EVE as my 'grinding' game. Not a fan of doing that in WoW or SWTOR, their storylines are great though.

I am also thoroughly familiar with tabletop RPG & Strategy games, and the way EVE builds and operates it ships it kind of like GURPs or the Hero System in nature. It has some tangent aspect to Star Fleet Battles, but the biggest similarity there is ship balance issues.

So, while newbie to EVE, very experienced gamer elsewise.

I too appreciate the help and comments here in the forums, they are something of my primary research launch point.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#39 - 2016-01-25 20:55:30 UTC
Hilmar said somewhere in a Fanfest that the original concept for Eve was actually TCG not MMO. In a lot of ways, if you keep that in mind, a lot of the game makes sense from that perspective.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#40 - 2016-01-25 23:08:49 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:

I don't think there is a single reason, but your point shows a possible connection to CCP's choices, which I mentioned previously. If indeed intentional on CCP's part, that would certainly be an interesting choice. I'd need to hear it from their 'lips' so to speak to truly understand their thinking on that matter. I'm sure they'd like to be popular and rich, but they may like their hardcore playerbase more... Something to ruminate on.

Then do your research.

Not that hard to find that source.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Previous page123Next page