These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

rattlesnake lvl 4s

Author
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#21 - 2016-01-14 12:29:52 UTC
There's a lot of reasons why the RS is not one of the very best mission running ships but DPS is definitely not one of them. It's a fine mission boat and a great full clear ship but it's just so dang slow.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2016-01-14 14:00:19 UTC
Never not put painters on a rattler instead of missile guidance. ALWAYS PAINT ALL THE THINGS.

Also, rattlers are so slow to get anywhere it is painful, you need rigor too much which means no hyperspace rigs. Don't use a rattler if you're trying to min/max.
The Bigpuns
United Standings Improvement Agency
#23 - 2016-01-14 18:15:58 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Never not put painters on a rattler instead of missile guidance. ALWAYS PAINT ALL THE THINGS.

Also, rattlers are so slow to get anywhere it is painful, you need rigor too much which means no hyperspace rigs. Don't use a rattler if you're trying to min/max.

Painters not so good past 80km.

And no, min/maxing isk is for blitzing, ie. a mach.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#24 - 2016-01-14 20:39:32 UTC
The Bigpuns wrote:
DPS application is not abysmal at all.

Drones with two otl's apply well. Long range drones drop your dps, but still better than an ac mach does at comparable range.

Cruise missiles with a precision scripted mgc and two rigs one shot bc's and apply full damage to bs's.

Split weapons can be a bit fiddly to manage when focussing on different npc's, but once you get proficient it's just not a problem. It may be a problem when you're trying to manage 3 of them, but it's a different problem.

My RS does 1556 paper dps, and applies most of that out to 106 km for drones and 111km for missiles. While tanking like an absolute champ.

Let's break that down then.

With V missile skills, +5 implants and Fury ammunition the maximum missile DPS is 918. This is with three Faction BCSs. You get 100% damage application against Battlecruisers and Battleships and about 60% damage application against Cruisers, which means you're going to average out somewhere in the middle. So let's call it 734 applied DPS against Guristas, EoM, Serpentis and Mercenaries which are primarily weak to kinetic and thermal damage. Against Drones, Sansha and Angels you're going to lose another 20%, which nets you around 587 DPS. So your missile DPS will average 587-734 DPS under most conditions.

With V drone skills and three Faction DDAs, you're looking at 588 DPS for Warden IIs to a range of 75km and about 20% less out to 106km, which works out to between 470-588 DPS under optimal conditions. Even with a pair of omnis, Wardens frequently miss or glance off. Curator IIs will fare better at 651 DPS out to 68km but this quickly drops off to around 325 DPS at 87km (this also requires two range-scripted omnis). Finally we end up with Garde IIs which do the most damage at 693 DPS but only to a range of 29km. Even with the range boosted to 78km you're looking at 346 DPS by the time you've maxed out falloff, which means you're better off using Wardens or Curators and taking the hit to damage type.

So let's recap the scenarios:
• 734 missile and 588 drone DPS (1322 DPS total) against Guristas, EoM and Serpentis out to a range of ~86km.
• 587 missile and 651 drone DPS (1238 DPS total) against Drones and Sansha out to a range of ~70km.
• 587 missile and 609 drone DPS (1196 DPS total) against Angels out to a range of ~60km.
• 734 missile and 693 drone DPS (1427 DPS total) against Mercenaries out to a range of ~30km.

Again, assuming perfect skills, Faction damage modules, +5 implants and near-perfect missile and drone damage application all of the time. Compare this to a Golem which for far less ISK and bling can approach 1200 applied DPS to basically anything.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#25 - 2016-01-15 01:15:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniela Doran
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
The Bigpuns wrote:
DPS application is not abysmal at all.

Drones with two otl's apply well. Long range drones drop your dps, but still better than an ac mach does at comparable range.

Cruise missiles with a precision scripted mgc and two rigs one shot bc's and apply full damage to bs's.

Split weapons can be a bit fiddly to manage when focussing on different npc's, but once you get proficient it's just not a problem. It may be a problem when you're trying to manage 3 of them, but it's a different problem.

My RS does 1556 paper dps, and applies most of that out to 106 km for drones and 111km for missiles. While tanking like an absolute champ.

Let's break that down then.

With V missile skills, +5 implants and Fury ammunition the maximum missile DPS is 918. This is with three Faction BCSs. You get 100% damage application against Battlecruisers and Battleships and about 60% damage application against Cruisers, which means you're going to average out somewhere in the middle. So let's call it 734 applied DPS against Guristas, EoM, Serpentis and Mercenaries which are primarily weak to kinetic and thermal damage. Against Drones, Sansha and Angels you're going to lose another 20%, which nets you around 587 DPS. So your missile DPS will average 587-734 DPS under most conditions.

With V drone skills and three Faction DDAs, you're looking at 588 DPS for Warden IIs to a range of 75km and about 20% less out to 106km, which works out to between 470-588 DPS under optimal conditions. Even with a pair of omnis, Wardens frequently miss or glance off. Curator IIs will fare better at 651 DPS out to 68km but this quickly drops off to around 325 DPS at 87km (this also requires two range-scripted omnis). Finally we end up with Garde IIs which do the most damage at 693 DPS but only to a range of 29km. Even with the range boosted to 78km you're looking at 346 DPS by the time you've maxed out falloff, which means you're better off using Wardens or Curators and taking the hit to damage type.

So let's recap the scenarios:
• 734 missile and 588 drone DPS (1322 DPS total) against Guristas, EoM and Serpentis out to a range of ~86km.
• 587 missile and 651 drone DPS (1238 DPS total) against Drones and Sansha out to a range of ~70km.
• 587 missile and 609 drone DPS (1196 DPS total) against Angels out to a range of ~60km.
• 734 missile and 693 drone DPS (1427 DPS total) against Mercenaries out to a range of ~30km.

Again, assuming perfect skills, Faction damage modules, +5 implants and near-perfect missile and drone damage application all of the time. Compare this to a Golem which for far less ISK and bling can approach 1200 applied DPS to basically anything.

Goodgrief, using the Rattler is soo much more work than using a Paladin or Vargur. Why did I insist on training for these slow moving, medicore dps applying shield bricks??

I concur with you entirely Arthur, I should've just trained for the Golems. But to the Rattlers credit, I believe they're still the best ships to use in hostile space. Now if only their price drop back down to 325mill.....
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2016-01-15 04:07:28 UTC
There are other Rattler fits, brawling fits using torp or RHML with Geckos for example.

Generally though most people opt for cruise/sentry.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#27 - 2016-01-15 04:51:56 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
There are other Rattler fits, brawling fits using torp or RHML with Geckos for example.
Generally though most people opt for cruise/sentry.

You lose a tremendous amount of DPS to lost volleys and reload time with RHMLs, torpedo range and damage application is basically non-existent and you lose so much DPS with Geckos to travel time and omni-damage that sentries will almost always outperform. Then there's the fact that the Rattlesnake is basically a flying brick so it can really only excel in perhaps 2-3 missions or rooms where everything spawns within 20km. A brawler it is most certainly not.

The Bigpuns
#28 - 2016-01-15 08:05:03 UTC  |  Edited by: The Bigpuns
Arthur,

#1. How do you only get 1427 max dps with that stuff? Like I said, that's a full 140 dps lower than my fit, and I even drop a bcs for a dcu.
#2. I also said, I don't use missiles on cruisers or below, so please stop 'averaging out' my dps to lower numbers to make your point look valid.
#3. Torp golem can do that sort of dps to about 50km. Again, worse, but with better application to small things.
#4. With two range scripted omnis, a warden has much better optimal than 75km, and usually hit very well at that range. I did point out that long range drones lower total dps.
#5. Your totals breakdown seems to have neglected to take into account scripted omnis.
#6. Punching into secondary resist holes usually doesn't drop applied dps by as much as 20%, but the difference probably isn't great enough to worry about.

Please stop massaging figures for your own purposes. You're as bad as a politician.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#29 - 2016-01-15 09:51:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
The Bigpuns wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

And how many mission rats sit at 80km? The painters help your sentries and are BETTER for missiles than MGC.

This is what I have still languishing in a hanger somewhere, I've not undocked it in over a year, but it did do things like damsel very well:

[Rattlesnake, Missions]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Ballistic Control System II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
500MN Microwarpdrive II
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Cruise Missile
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst I

Gecko x1
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5
Garde II x2

But it's still crappy.

Edit: and a proper fit like that one, very much can fury cruisers to death. Elite crusiers are a hair tricker, but then...we have a gecko....so...y'know.
Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#30 - 2016-01-15 10:38:34 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
The Bigpuns wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

And how many mission rats sit at 80km? The painters help your sentries and are BETTER for missiles than MGC.

This is what I have still languishing in a hanger somewhere, I've not undocked it in over a year, but it did do things like damsel very well:

[Rattlesnake, Missions]

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
500MN Microwarpdrive II

Drone Link Augmentor II

Gecko x1
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5
Garde II x2

But it's still crappy.

Edit: and a proper fit like that one, very much can fury cruisers to death. Elite crusiers are a hair tricker, but then...we have a gecko....so...y'know.

I like this fit +1

Think I'll try it with a DC II and a little extra tank.
The Bigpuns
#31 - 2016-01-15 11:08:59 UTC
Daniela Doran wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
The Bigpuns wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

[Rattlesnake, Missions]

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
500MN Microwarpdrive II

Drone Link Augmentor II

Gecko x1
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5
Garde II x2

But it's still crappy.

I like this fit +1

Think I'll try it with a DC II and a little extra tank.

More tank AND a dc? You mad?

This fit is all over the place. And is crying out for a bit of bling.

And at no point did I say mission rats sit at 80km. I do, however, often use a mjd which puts me at that range.

The Bigpuns
#32 - 2016-01-15 11:21:38 UTC
For reference, here is the fit I use. Yes it's expensive before you say anything.

[Rattlesnake, Rattlesnake]
Federation Navy Drone Damage Amplifier
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Damage Control II

Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Speed Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Tracking Speed Script
Large Micro Jump Drive
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script
Pith A-Type Large Shield Booster
Missile Guidance Computer II, Missile Precision Script

Black Eagle Drone Link Augmentor

Large Drone Control Range Augmentor II

Bouncer II x2
Garde II x1
Warden II x2
Gecko x1

Some missions I will drop the mjd and dla for a mwd and tractor beam. But this does AE bonus room without a problem, clears missions like Assault, Blockade, Dread Pirate, Damsel and Gone Berserk faster than any other fit I've found (not blitzing and not taking into account travel times), has no problems applying its dps to appropriate targets, and is just a nice, relaxed way of running missions.

Conversely, I hate doing buzzkill in this. Golem all the way for that one.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#33 - 2016-01-15 11:45:41 UTC
Buzz Kill + Machariel + Hail = Warm and Fuzzies

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

The Bigpuns
#34 - 2016-01-15 11:56:09 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
Buzz Kill + Machariel + Hail = Warm and Fuzzies

Even better I find is dual web blaster Kronos. Again, only as far as kill speed is concerned, it will still turn the mission in a lot slower...
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2016-01-15 12:50:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
It's an overtanked piece of space trash, that'll be lucky to apply full damage to the BCs, but whatever makes you happy I guess.

I mean why the hell are you MJDing at all, with 1500+ DPS, most of which is applied, everything dies in short order. The problem with my fit is travel is too damned slow, that's it, it's not "all over the place". What it is, is highly focused to maximise applied missile and drone DPS allowing effective use of the gecko and the fury missiles.

By the way, TPs are 80% effective at 90km. You're wasting 2 slots on omnis which don't help missiles and one on the (inferior to a TP) MGC which doesn't help the drones to get less overall applied damage from the missiles too.

If you're messing about MJDing and needing that amount of tank and bling for a level 4 you're absolutely out of your mind, unless you're one of these guys who RPs stuff, in which case fair play to ya.
Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#36 - 2016-01-15 14:19:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniela Doran
The Bigpuns wrote:

And at no point did I say mission rats sit at 80km. I do, however, often use a mjd which puts me at that range.

I have tons of alts, 2 which have recently finish training to fly Rattlesnakes so I'll be multiboxing. The reason I train for the Rattlers was to try out level 5s at some point. But for now I'd like to try out these 2 Rattlers fitted like this for level 4s. I'm not used to flying BS missile boats so I'm being cautious until I get the hang of them.

Lows
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Mids
500MN Microwarpdrive II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Highs
Drone Link Augmentor II

Rigs
Large Core Defense Field Purger I

Hobgoblin II x5
Warden II x2
Garde II x2
Curator II x2
The Bigpuns
#37 - 2016-01-15 14:39:02 UTC  |  Edited by: The Bigpuns
Daniela Doran wrote:
The Bigpuns wrote:

I have tons of alts, 2 which have recently finish training to fly Rattlesnakes so I'll be multiboxing. The reason I train for the Rattlers was to try out level 5s at some point. But for now I'd like to try out these 2 Rattlers fitted like this for level 4s. I'm not used to flying BS missile boats so I'm being cautious until I get the hang of them.

Lows
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II

Mids
500MN Microwarpdrive II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Highs
Drone Link Augmentor II

Rigs

Hobgoblin II x5
Warden II x2
Garde II x2
Curator II x2

If you're multiboxing them, you might find it easier to use rhml's with fof missiles - ask Arthur, he does that. Tank will be plenty, dps will be fine, but again, if multiboxing, mgc's will just make your life easier than juggling painters.

Morrigan LeSante wrote:

It's an overtanked piece of space trash, that'll be lucky to apply full damage to the BCs, but whatever makes you happy I guess.

I mean why the hell are you MJDing at all, with 1500+ DPS, most of which is applied, everything dies in short order. The problem with my fit is travel is too damned slow, that's it, it's not "all over the place". What it is, is highly focused to maximise applied missile and drone DPS allowing effective use of the gecko and the fury missiles.

By the way, TPs are 80% effective at 90km. You're wasting 2 slots on omnis which don't help missiles and one on the (inferior to a TP) MGC which doesn't help the drones to get less overall applied damage from the missiles too.

If you're messing about MJDing and needing that amount of tank and bling for a level 4 you're absolutely out of your mind, unless you're one of these guys who RPs stuff, in which case fair play to ya.

Why am I mjd'ing? cos it makes missions even easier.

And no, tp's are not better than omnis. Omni's do both range and tracking, scripted as the situation demands, and the tracking scripted ones give a better application benefit than tp's (look at the sig radius part of the tracking formula). The mgc's are just easier to use than the tp, and the argument of which one is better depends entirely on what your shooting at - for bc's and above it makes no difference, for smaller, it doesn't usually affect the number of salvoes used, but smaller ships are taken out by the drones most of the time anyways.

It's overtanked for most missions yes, I only fit the dc as a precaution against opportunistic gankers when flying in busy space. But other than that, two slot shield tank is not overtanked compared to your 4 slot shield tank. Who'd have thought it eh?

And it is not "lucky to apply full damage to BC's" - it consistently does so, one shotting them the vast majority of the time. Two for cruisers if there are any left after all the bigger ones are gone.

I do like to roleplay, but the bling is there partly for fitting reasons and partly cos I have lots of moneys to burn.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#38 - 2016-01-15 16:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
The Bigpuns wrote:
Arthur,

#1. How do you only get 1427 max dps with that stuff? Like I said, that's a full 140 dps lower than my fit, and I even drop a bcs for a dcu.
#2. I also said, I don't use missiles on cruisers or below, so please stop 'averaging out' my dps to lower numbers to make your point look valid.
#3. Torp golem can do that sort of dps to about 50km. Again, worse, but with better application to small things.
#4. With two range scripted omnis, a warden has much better optimal than 75km, and usually hit very well at that range. I did point out that long range drones lower total dps.
#5. Your totals breakdown seems to have neglected to take into account scripted omnis.
#6. Punching into secondary resist holes usually doesn't drop applied dps by as much as 20%, but the difference probably isn't great enough to worry about.

Please stop massaging figures for your own purposes. You're as bad as a politician.

1. With V skills and +5 implants I get 1499 DPS with your fit using Fury ammunition and Garde IIs (1515 DPS if I use +6 implants). You can get 1605 with a Gecko, but the DPS is inflated as you lose to both flight time and omni-damage (3/4's of the damage is 20-50% less effective).
2. That's fine, but you're still going to lose ~20% missile DPS against Sansha, Drones and Angels.
3. Torp Golem is ludicrously expensive to operate, because you get horrible range and application with Rage torpedoes and Javelin torpedoes do less damage than Fury cruise. Which leaves Faction torpedoes, and they're uber-expensive.
4/5. I did factor in two range-scripted omnis. Even with that, Wardens will frequently miss even battleships. You need at least one omni dedicated to tracking speed with Wardens to get decent damage application.
6. It's typically 20%. Sometimes a bit more, but a minimum of 20% until you get into hull.

Using your fit, a suite of +5 implants and Pyfa:
• 1394 DPS against EoM, Guristas and Serpentis (Fury, Wardens); 97k drone optimal
• 1499 DPS against Mercenaries (Fury, Gardes); 29km drone optimal
• 1295 DPS against Sansha and Drones (Fury, Curators); 68km drone optimal
• 1253 DPS against Angels (Fury, Bouncers); 58km drone optimal

This assumes both 100% missile and drone damage application, never shooting anything other than Battlecruisers and Battleships with missiles and keeping all targets within optimal ranges for drones at all times. I'm not sure who you're trying to kid here, but between the two of us it's kind of blatantly obvious who's massaging paper DPS.

You can basically get 1100 DPS with a Golem out to 120km without much effort, and around 1200 DPS if you're engaging with a flight of light drones. This includes being able to apply near 100% damage application to Cruisers as well.

Look, I get it - really, I do. Those of you who fly Rattlesnakes really love them (and I will admit they look pretty cool). But at the end of the day they are like maneuvering a brick and a well fit Marauder will run circles around them in most missions (in addition to being able to loot and salvage as they go). Marauders can apply 100% DPS to basically any range they set their mind to, and that's not an exaggeration.

The Bigpuns
#39 - 2016-01-15 17:15:43 UTC
Wardens missing battleships at 100km range? That's just an outright lie. If your wardens are missing battleships frequently, I'd file a bug report.
Also, share the golem fit that does 1100 missile dps at 120km range please.

Golems (and indeed all marauders) have their advantages. I know they do. I use them all. But the fact remains the rattle has the highest dps, and applies it well at any range. Not sure what's going wrong with your figures, but in eft and in game my dps shows 1556 with gardes and furies. That's with +5 imps and not-quite perfect missile skills (cruise spec at 4, all other relevant skills at 5).

And no, you don't lose a minimum of 20% hitting a secondary resist hole. Have a look at the resistance charts and go back to your math.

Except for ewar heavy missions, I always clear faster in rs than I do in any marauder, with the exception of paladin in some missions.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#40 - 2016-01-15 17:21:38 UTC
Real men MJD INTO the fight.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Previous page123Next page