These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Interdiction Nullification for blockade runners

Author
Cornelius Carausius
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-01-12 18:08:03 UTC
Their purpose is to be small volume, cloaky, fast, sneaky transport ships, and yet I wouldn't take one into nullsec, at least unscouted. If there is a bubble, I need to wait for the "blockade" to leave before I attempt to go through it. What's the point of being a blockade runner if I have to scout myself through or patiently wait for the blockade to disband?

I just want to make the kessel run in less than 14 12 parsecs!
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#2 - 2016-01-12 18:25:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Cornelius Carausius wrote:
Their purpose is to be small volume, cloaky, fast, sneaky transport ships, and yet I wouldn't take one into nullsec, at least unscouted. If there is a bubble, I need to wait for the "blockade" to leave before I attempt to go through it. What's the point of being a blockade runner if I have to scout myself through or patiently wait for the blockade to disband?

Maybe you can shave off a Parsec or two by finding a wormhole connection bypassing the chokepoint? Shorter runs are faster runs. Blink

Seriously though, the BR needs an Achilles' heel. Giving it the power to just shamelessly bypass an interdictor, how do you stop it at all while in route unless you rely on pilot error in your favor.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Isaac Armer
The Soup Kitchen
#3 - 2016-01-12 18:29:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Isaac Armer
God no.

You can't have your cake and eat it too
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2016-01-12 18:48:56 UTC

I love my crane and viator and use them ALOT, but no. Adding interdiction nullification would reduce risk too much.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Amber Starview
Doomheim
#5 - 2016-01-12 18:50:18 UTC
Yes please 😁 +1 ..... Make it easier for smaller less skilled groups or solo pilots to live in null , yes I said easier the dreaded word on the forums

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#6 - 2016-01-12 19:01:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
No, definitely not.

That would be way too OP.

If you could have a 15000 m^3 cloaky nullified hauler, it would never face any risk.

I use a blockade runner in null regularly and the MWD- Cloak trick works great to either get back to gate and jump, or move out of the bubbles and then warp.

It doesn't need nullification, just piloting. Let's not make the game too easy.
Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#7 - 2016-01-12 19:04:17 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:

Maybe you can shave off a Parsec or two by finding a wormhole connection bypassing the chokepoint? Shorter runs are faster runs. Blink

Seriously though, the BR needs an Achilles' heel. Giving it the power to just shamelessly bypass an interdictor, how do you stop it at all while in route unless you rely on pilot error in your favor.

--Gadget

Smartbombs.

Lots of people are lazy and warp gate to gate. You'll see the same guy making the same run through the same area often. It's not that difficult to prepare.

He's right, though, the blockade runner is only a name. It's never really been a blockade runner. T3 cruisers and interceptors are the real blockade runners. They just can't haul ****.

Do not run. We are your friends.

Iain Cariaba
#8 - 2016-01-12 20:28:43 UTC

As someone who uses a blockade runner quite frequently in null and wormholes, I have to ask, why should my skill in piloting a blockade runner be negated simply because you're bad at piloting it yourself?
Cornelius Carausius
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-01-12 20:36:35 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
simply because you're bad at piloting it yourself?

Why the salt, fam?

Thanks everyone for the input and discussion. It's an interesting topic!
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#10 - 2016-01-12 21:06:24 UTC
Blockade Running ships do get through most gate camps. Not 100% of the time, but often enough to make it interesting for both sides. Danger adds excitement. Excitement is fun. Why do you hate fun?

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Iain Cariaba
#11 - 2016-01-12 21:59:51 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
simply because you're bad at piloting it yourself?

Why the salt, fam?

Thanks everyone for the input and discussion. It's an interesting topic!

Obviously you're new to PF&I. That isn't salt, not even close. Twisted
Sophia Mileghere
Scandium Defense and Security Inc.
Sleeper Protocol
#12 - 2016-01-12 22:23:31 UTC
Maybe with an new type of Transportship.

It should have less cargo space and not a +2 on warp core strengh.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#13 - 2016-01-13 00:07:43 UTC
Sophia Mileghere wrote:
Maybe with an new type of Transportship.

It should have less cargo space and not a +2 on warp core strengh.

I wouldn't have a problem with a new type of transport being bubble immune, but it shouldn't be cloaky as well.
It's the combo that would make it a non-choice to have.

--Gadget

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#14 - 2016-01-13 04:31:51 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
No, definitely not.

That would be way too OP.

If you could have a 15000 m^3 cloaky nullified hauler, it would never face any risk.

I use a blockade runner in null regularly and the MWD- Cloak trick works great to either get back to gate and jump, or move out of the bubbles and then warp.

It doesn't need nullification, just piloting. Let's not make the game too easy.

The MWD cloak-insta warp trick works on Blockade runners?
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#15 - 2016-01-13 05:07:39 UTC
Daniela Doran wrote:

Yep, it works on a blockade runner, just the same as on anything.

The difference is that a BR can normally warp cloaked, so you don't need to do it. However if you jump a gate and find yourself in a bubble, then the same process can be used to escape from the bubble while cloaked.

Without using the MWD, blockade runners are fairly slow, so if you just align and cloak, then it's usually easy for an interceptor or a dictor to decloak you.

However, if you hit the MWD before cloaking, then you gain the extra speed as you move out of the bubble and have a better chance of not being decloaked.

It works great if you are going to try to get back to gate cloaked and also if you align in an odd direction rather than the shortest distance out of the bubble.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2016-01-13 05:12:58 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Daniela Doran wrote:

The difference is that a BR can normally warp cloaked, so you don't need to do it. However if you jump a gate and find yourself in a bubble, then the same process can be used to escape from the bubble while cloaked.

Without using the MWD, blockade runners are fairly slow, so if you just align and cloak, then it's usually easy for an interceptor or a dictor to decloak you.

However, if you hit the MWD before cloaking, then you gain the extra speed as you move out of the bubble and have a better chance of not being decloaked.

It works great if you are going to try to get back to gate cloaked and also if you align in an odd direction rather than the shortest distance out of the bubble.

I'd also suggest changing direction as good ceptor pilots will try to note your alignment as well.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#17 - 2016-01-13 06:06:28 UTC
...I just want to make the kessel run in less than 14 12 parsecs!

I was always curious what this was supposed to mean since parsec is not a time value or statement. A parsec is a lenght value or 3.3 lightyears if you wish.

The statement itself would need at least a notion of a time value as in "I wanna do this run in x time" but what you get is "I wanna do this run in 46,2 lightyears".

So what are you saying?

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#18 - 2016-01-13 13:28:02 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
...I just want to make the kessel run in less than 14 12 parsecs!

I was always curious what this was supposed to mean since parsec is not a time value or statement. A parsec is a lenght value or 3.3 lightyears if you wish.

The statement itself would need at least a notion of a time value as in "I wanna do this run in x time" but what you get is "I wanna do this run in 46,2 lightyears".

So what are you saying?

Ask Lucas....

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#19 - 2016-01-13 13:56:19 UTC
Less ships in this game need to have nullification, not more.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#20 - 2016-01-13 13:57:14 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Daniela Doran wrote:

My goodness, so sharp as always Scipio, and tyvm.

I thought CCP was gonna nerf this MWD trick at some point but I guess it's safe to assume they aren't. Now it's about time I go on SiSi and master this trick.
12Next page