These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What's the thinking behind the Friendly Fire legality?

Author
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-01-12 02:34:24 UTC
I notice that corps have the ability to set a "Friendly Fire" flag. Is that so that if they accidentally shoot a corp member in high sec, they don't get dokkened?
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#2 - 2016-01-12 02:48:28 UTC
Seriously, how long have you actually been playing this game?

The optional friendly fire tag was added very recently, before this it was default set to 'legal' and you couldn't change it. The thinking was that if corp-mates were shooting each other, that was a matter for the corp, not CONCORD.

The upshot was that anyone with the inclination could join a PvP averse hisec corp and go trigger happy blapping their corpmates in hisec without getting CONCORDukken.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Droidster
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-01-12 03:03:02 UTC
I am getting the idea that only two people use the EVE forums: me and this wierd, bald-headed newb who keeps giving sassy answers of dubious validity.
Valkin Mordirc
#4 - 2016-01-12 03:08:40 UTC
Droidster wrote:
I am getting the idea that only two people use the EVE forums: me and this wierd, bald-headed newb who keeps giving sassy answers of dubious validity.

EVE-O Forums Sass levels are equivalent to E-peen levels

My Sass levels are off the charts
#DeleteTheWeak
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#5 - 2016-01-12 03:11:09 UTC
This bald headed newb has learned more about EVE gameplay and history in ~18 months than you have in 12 years.

I've genuinely tried to answer your questions and I've genuinely been baffled as to how someone could play a game for 12 years, yet be so ignorant of basic mechanics.

I'm now genuinely beginning to believe you're a troll. And not a very good one at that.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Knitram Relik
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2016-01-12 06:24:47 UTC
Sometimes corp members will have sparring matches where the agree to only fight until one reaches hull or another predetermined amount. And some corps believe that Eve is still about PvP regardless of what the carebears cry about. Personally, my corp is friendly fire legal so I don't have to duel my web alt, I can just web and go.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's really hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#7 - 2016-01-12 06:39:18 UTC
Valkin Mordirc wrote:
Droidster wrote:

EVE-O Forums Sass levels are equivalent to E-peen levels

My Sass levels are off the charts

Some guys fly supers to make up for their short comings. I fly a Tristan

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#8 - 2016-01-12 06:48:52 UTC
For high sec dwellers who frequently engage in activities most nefarious this is pretty handy. It's even more handy if you have a number of people who tend to have their safeties set to red, especially if you occasionally do fleet things. It's nice to be able to accidentally shoot that guy who you're remote cap boosting without CONCORD coming into play.

It's also handy as a training tool, we often have our newbros engage us to show them how certain things work. We can do this via duels, of course, but it's much easier to not have to click that thing and confirm.

Then there are those who keep it legal out of sheer stubbornness and to have the very real threat of 'if you go full retrad I'll pod you myself'. Plenty of reasons.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#9 - 2016-01-12 11:33:24 UTC
Droidster wrote:

Mephiztopheleze's "dubious" validity is actually your preconceived notions at play there,
hes been on point (and fairly patient ill add) with most as what hes been telling you as far as i can tell.
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#10 - 2016-01-12 20:04:51 UTC
OP, can't you at least try and understand the game before posting meaningless twaddle? TYIA

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Droidster
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2016-01-12 20:43:24 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
OP, can't you at least try and understand the game before posting meaningless twaddle? TYIA

From the person who "answered" a question on an unusual change in the prices of Fernite Carbide by helpfully explaining that it was because of "Demand and/or supply issues"

I may post bad wrong stupid ill-informed content, but at least I post content.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-01-12 20:49:04 UTC
Droidster wrote:

I may post bad wrong stupid ill-informed content

Finally, progress.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#13 - 2016-01-12 20:51:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Bumblefck
Droidster wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:

From the person who "answered" a question on an unusual change in the prices of Fernite Carbide by helpfully explaining that it was because of "Demand and/or supply issues"

I may post bad wrong stupid ill-informed content, but at least I post content.

But I did answer, and, at the very core of it, my answer is correct.

Please don't automatically assume that your random words for content - they are not

Bumble's Space Log

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#14 - 2016-01-12 21:05:13 UTC
Look:

💩

I've created some content, fresh on your doorstep

Bumble's Space Log

Droidster
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2016-01-12 21:35:34 UTC
Thanks to Knitram Relik and Omar Alharazaad for answering my question.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#16 - 2016-01-13 12:14:12 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
Droidster wrote:

That bald-headed newb is spot-on in his answer.

For ten years or so, friendly fire was considered an in-corp matter. We made a sport of joining corporations who failed to do even the most basic research on applicants and killing them. Just look at Psychotic Monk's corp history and killboard to get an idea of how blatant most of us were. It got to a point that CCP answered the carebear cry and added the friendly fire toggle, removing the ability to insert saboteurs into a highsec corporation. The toggle exists because many corporations found FF to be useful and weren't terrible at Eve to begin with.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#17 - 2016-01-13 12:29:56 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Look:

💩

I've created some content, fresh on your doorstep

YOU CAN POST POOP??? Where has this been all my eve life

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Anya Klibor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2016-01-13 13:27:53 UTC
Droidster wrote:

Considering you didn't know how one of the oldest settings in the game worked, I think you are the noob, and the "sassy blad-headed noob" is actually far more intelligent than you are.

Leadership is something you learn. Maybe one day, you'll learn that.

StonerPhReaK
Herb Men
#19 - 2016-01-13 13:58:49 UTC
Mephiztopheleze wrote:
This bald headed newb has learned more about EVE gameplay and history in ~18 months than you have in 12 years.

I've genuinely tried to answer your questions and I've genuinely been baffled as to how someone could play a game for 12 years, yet be so ignorant of basic mechanics.

I'm now genuinely beginning to believe you're a troll. And not a very good one at that.

Mindless Mining. Thats how.

Signatures wer cooler when we couldn't remove them completely.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#20 - 2016-01-13 14:48:11 UTC
Anya Klibor wrote:
Droidster wrote:

Considering you didn't know how one of the oldest settings in the game worked, I think you are the noob, and the "sassy blad-headed noob" is actually far more intelligent than you are.

To be fair, friendly fire is only like two years old at most. There was a stink, it was great. The toggle was put in as a result of said stink instead of simply disabling it for all parties. Lingering harrumphs still exist about it being set to illegal as default, as this does nothing to encourage CEO's to be good, instead it just protects them from their own stupid decisions by default.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

12Next page