These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why use a Navy Osprey over a Navy Caracal?

Author
Jace Varus
Lemur Appreciation Society
#1 - 2016-01-09 02:30:22 UTC
I see lots of ONIs around, and wonder why people seem to use them more than Caracal Navy Issues. Is the CNI purely a PVE ship, or...?
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#2 - 2016-01-09 04:56:34 UTC
Pretty sure it was buffed in December, though can't remember what was changed: maybe the traits, since it has a 25% KIN and 20% EM/THERM/EXP damage buff per level and I don't ever recall it having that. When I tried using a Navy Caracal way back in the day, I had trouble getting a fit that didn't sacrifice either tank or firepower all the while dealing with range issues and no drones.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#3 - 2016-01-09 05:56:42 UTC
It's not even close. The Navy Osprey is one of the best navy cruisers in the game right now, the Navy Caracal is easily the worst
Jace Varus
#4 - 2016-01-09 15:50:48 UTC
Fourteen Maken wrote:
It's not even close. The Navy Osprey is one of the best navy cruisers in the game right now, the Navy Caracal is easily the worst

Err...could you explain why?
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#5 - 2016-01-09 16:00:19 UTC
Jace Varus wrote:
Fourteen Maken wrote:

Have you not looked at the traits for each ship?

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Jace Varus
#6 - 2016-01-09 16:03:24 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Jace Varus wrote:
Fourteen Maken wrote:

Have you not looked at the traits for each ship?

I have, but I still think the CNI can get more damage out. I see the difference, though, and it does make sense why people would want to go after the ONI instead.
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2016-01-09 16:08:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
Nosprey is faster, does only a little less damage, but with with half the high slots than the CNI, more mids for tank or ewar, 2 freaking utility highs for neuts, more powergrid despite requiring fewer weapons, velocity and damage rather than ROF and application bonuses complement RLM really well, and it looks like a manatee in space; with a rocket strapped to it's ass.

Grrr.

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#8 - 2016-01-09 16:31:46 UTC
Jace Varus wrote:

I have, but I still think the CNI can get more damage out. I see the difference, though, and it does make sense why people would want to go after the ONI instead.

I automatically assumed that the Osprey would have a greater raw damage output, and the Caracal might have higher applied damage. But that's just basically coming out of my bum-bum, as I have only flown the Caracal once and never the Osprey (not even for a dare, but it does look like quite a solid little thing) Big smile

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#9 - 2016-01-09 19:16:22 UTC
Jace Varus wrote:
Fourteen Maken wrote:

Navy Osprey has better speed and agility, extra midslot and better fitting for more tank/tackle, 2 utillity highs, better dps with RLML, +50% missile range and missile velocity. The only thing a Navy Caracal is better at is more dps and better application with HAM's and Heavies, but the Navy Osprey makes up for that with a full flight of light drones and RLML is far better suited for a cruiser size hull anyway. I even think a standard Caracal is better than the Navy version for most uses, especially when you consider the cost.
Valacus
Streets of Fire
#10 - 2016-01-09 19:27:59 UTC
The Navy Caracal is the laughing stock of the Caracal line up. All other Caracal hulls get a velocity bonus to missiles, extending their range. The Navy Caracal gets a stupid explosion radius buff. While everyone else fights at 60k+, the Navy loser fights at 30, which is the range kiters start to die at. It doesn't have the buffer to be a brawler, so don't even think about using HAMs, and it doesn't have the mids to be a tackler. You need almost all of them for tank.

The Navy Osprey, on the other hand, has the almighty velocity bonus that makes missile cruisers worth flying. Missile ships are all about out ranging your opponent. No one ever went into a fight with missiles intending to brawl, and any idiot who did lost. The Navy Osprey gets 2 utility highs, ideal for taking out smaller ships like cancerous T3Ds. It's faster, it aligns better, it has more mids, it has drones(of which the Navy Caracal has 0), and it uses less ammunition to do what the Navy Caracal does. The Navy Caracal is a piece of junk in comparison. The Navy Osprey is love.