These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Time Dilation

First post
Author
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#1 - 2012-01-08 16:02:32 UTC
I hear it worked flawlessly this morning. Big smile
Opije
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-01-09 08:37:07 UTC
Flawless Victory.
DeLaBu
CAF Industries
Evictus.
#3 - 2012-01-09 11:36:24 UTC
A bit more info for those not "in" on the inside joke?
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#4 - 2012-01-09 16:45:03 UTC
CCP turned it on for the first time during a major fleet fight in Branch. Instead of working it completely crashed the node.
Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#5 - 2012-01-09 17:19:00 UTC
KrakizBad wrote:
CCP turned it on for the first time during a major fleet fight in Branch. Instead of working it completely crashed the node.

That's what I'd call successful time dilation.. Basically can't dilate time much more than that.

Nyan

J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-01-09 17:20:11 UTC
Hamsters just choked on superstring theory. That is all.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Bernie Nator
Allspark Industries
Transformographagizers
#7 - 2012-01-09 17:24:37 UTC
HAMSTERS CANNOT COMPUTE QUANTUM NUMBERS THAT WAY.

But yes, it technically worked because everyone was running at the same speed after it was activated.
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2012-01-09 17:34:53 UTC
Yeah, not exactly the outcome I was going for.

The crash has been identified and the fix is going out tomorrow morning. Hopefully the next time will be a bit cleaner...

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Grukni
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-01-09 17:44:04 UTC
Enabling time dilation in middle of a fleet battle doesn't sound like a good thing to tinker with. But who knows, CCP Veritas knows better.
Darth Gustav
Froosh INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2012-01-09 17:44:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Gustav
Lollerwaffles.

Wouldn't have expected anything less than a total node crash in the live environment. Especially if it's just being thrown on like a switch, mid-fight.

Woe unto us if and when this becomes automated?

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Razin
The Scope
#11 - 2012-01-09 17:47:59 UTC
Grukni wrote:
Enabling time dilation in middle of a fleet battle doesn't sound like a good thing to tinker with. But who knows, CCP Veritas knows better.
How else would you go about testing it??
Thomas Abernathy
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2012-01-09 17:48:03 UTC
"Working as intended"
Now the Bees no longer have to bring the blob, EVE is now fully self crashing. Shocked

"Fighting CCD since 2139"

Darth Gustav
Froosh INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2012-01-09 17:54:16 UTC
Razin wrote:
Grukni wrote:

Oh, I don't know, turn it on before the blob is shooting? Maybe. Just a thought.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Mioelnir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-01-09 17:54:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Mioelnir
I was there.

@CCP Veritas: as the mythbusters would say - "failure is always an option." Fix it, test it again. It will get ready eventually - even if we have to dilate the time until then a bit ,)

Also, sad that it did not work. Between the high-cpu missile spam from drakes and tengus, high RoF Hurricanes, module activation spikes from the Alpha-Maels and drone buzz from supers, the grid had it all after the node restart.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#15 - 2012-01-09 18:02:49 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:

The crash has been identified and the fix is going out tomorrow morning. Hopefully the next time will be a bit cleaner...

I lol'd

I love statements like that.

As I understand the way time dilation has to work; it will be incremental as load goes up on the server once fully implemented. There really is no better way to test for bugs, than right in the middle of a fleet fight like that. If something can go wrong, it will most certainly go wrong when load has already been applied, and server stress is at its highest.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Razin
The Scope
#16 - 2012-01-09 18:10:07 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
Razin wrote:
Grukni wrote:

Oh, I don't know, turn it on before the blob is shooting? Maybe. Just a thought.
In my understanding TiD isn't supposed to be preemptive. There is nothing far fetched about it activating during an ongoing fight.
Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
RONA Directorate
#17 - 2012-01-09 18:11:11 UTC
Being on the test server a lot, time dialation has been tested for over a month now during live tests etc. however, there ARE always unforseen bugs when it goes live.

Oh and it's not always on at the start of the fight. It's supposed to kick in as the node starts to feel real stress.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Jenshae Chiroptera
#18 - 2012-01-09 18:12:58 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:

Don't worry.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

This may apply somewhat.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Muad 'dib
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-01-09 18:27:12 UTC
i didnt crash the node!!!!

Its just working WAY WAY too well and its crzwling along, normality restored in 5 minutes, which on that server is 42 years.

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-01-09 18:30:19 UTC
No plan ever survives contact with the enemy. The same applies to programming.

Main point is, at least there is a fix for it. I'm sure that the CCP code monkeys and QA minions will continue to labour into the night to continue to bring balance back to the nodes (no, not the CCP Tallest balance, the CCP Veritas balance).

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

12Next page