These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Many questions regarding the caldari

Author
Satan Invicti
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-01-05 18:50:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Satan Invicti
So I've been rolling around the forums looking at anything in regards to Caldari ships, to help make up to my lack of knowledge (being a noob and all). I've been having a blast at exploration for what little I've done so far and have recently started doing missions of different sorts. Currently I'm training into some more random things until my subscription issues get solved, where I'll then start training into some other things for my corp. However from there on I'm not sure. I'm currently piloting a t1 corax (cause subscription issue lol) with a bunch of t1 fittings. Missiles seem to be so fun and can't wait to do more in this game.

Now that the exposition is over, even though I've trolled around the forums for info I have some general and specific questions I wanted to ask in regards to the Caldari's ships. I have no issues going through the training once my corp training is done

What does the jackdaw excel at? The multi-mode system of it is interesting and eventually getting to that point would be nice if I believe I could have some fun with it.

In the same line of question above, what does the stork excel at? The ability to support and attack seems interesting as well.

Is the Corax any good for small gang attacks? We oft like to roam in small groups and I want to help more than sitting with ECM as helpful as ECM is. (Also, This ship is sexy. Like some kind of BA super space sub Big smile)

Should I progress to the Caracal? I have the capability to do so but it has less missile slots for more tank. Most of what I've read seems to say that the Caracal is just so much better than the Corax (On an irrelevant side note, that's unfortunate because I still the Corax looks better than anything else in the game I've seen so far.).

For smaller fights should I even bring a missile destroyer or cruiser? (say around 2-3 on my end including me. and 1-2 on the enemies end.) Or should I bring something more close in?

And the most specific thing is what should I focus on when I fit either or both ships. I say either or both because unless something else comes up, these two will be my main for a while. especially when looking at training time for T2 as well as cost involved in T2 and battlecruisers+.

If anything written here seems confusing I would love to clarify, in whatever way i find out. (because every forums has it different XD )

In the darkest void, the endless night, know, that I am there, to drag you deeper. Into the realm, beyond the light, vengeance, the only truth, the final end.

Bobb Bobbington
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#2 - 2016-01-06 03:31:40 UTC
Jackdaw- Tanky mofo, but fairly slow and lower dps than the other ones. Svipul is mostly better and outclasses most T3D barring niche fits.

Corax- an unpopular ship because lack of gank/tank compared to other destroyers.

Stork- Never flown it

Caracal- Yea you probably should train for it but it's not necessarily better than the corax. It can use medium missiles, so HAMs and rlml. Much better tank. However, since it's larger, generally slower, and worse application (with the exception of rlml, which most caracals are fit with anyways) it wouldn't be useful to an FC if you're in a smaller fleet like a T3D gang.

This is a signature.

It has a 25m signature.

No it's not a cosmic signature.

Probably.

Btw my corp's recruiting.

Fourteen Maken
Karma and Causality
#3 - 2016-01-06 05:27:04 UTC
Caldari have a lot of good options but the Corax definitely isn't one of them. The RLML Caracal is awesome but don't be in a rush to ship up past t1 frigs, there are players with 100mil+ skill points and tens of billions sloshing around in their wallets who still use t1 frigs for pvp. They are cheap and effective when you learn how to use them, quick to skill into, and better for evading gate camps and gangs. Caldari have two very good missile frigs: Condor and Kestrel this is what you should be asking about and learning to fly for pvp.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2016-01-06 16:12:46 UTC
Corax: Nice little destroyer for level 1 missions, hisec combat sites and ded sites. Never tried it in pvp yet.

Caracal: It can use either Heavy Assault Missiles ( Short range - high damage), Heavy missiles (Long range - low damage) or Rapid Light missiles which are ideal for fighting smaller targets like frigates, they do however have a very long reload time. Caracals are mostly used for level 2 missions.

Bifrost: It is designed to be a pure support ship that breaks tight fleets into smaller groups with the help of its Jump field generator which excels everything 100 km in the directing Bifrost points. It is designed to be used only for fleet combat, so I wouldn't recommend you training for it until later on.

All in all, I recommend you get a Drake and do level 3 missions. It is a great ship and lvl 3 missions are a very good way to get the hang of missioning and npc combat in EVE.

Best of luck o7
Valacus
Streets of Fire
#5 - 2016-01-06 21:45:47 UTC
The Corax is a piece of garbage. Ignore it.

The Jackdaw can fit a very significant tank while still using light missiles, but it has a huge signature for a T3D. Big tank, but easy to hit.

The Caracal is one of the better T1 cruisers, especially with rapid lights fit. RLMLs are one of the best weapon systems in the game thanks to the prevalence of small, kiting ship types like T3Ds, faction frigs, and command destroyers.

The stork is one of the better command destroyers due to its formidable tank. It also gets access to light missiles, which are almost as awesome as rapid light missiles.
Jace Varus
Lemur Appreciation Society
#6 - 2016-01-06 21:56:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jace Varus
Corax - Not bad for highsec missions at first, but go for the Caracal as soon as you can.

Caracal - One of the best lowsec/highsec mission running ships. Train up for rapid light missile launchers (RLML) to use on it, and you'll be in a very good position. But when you can, try to work up to a heavy missile Drake. If you really want to do some higher end missions, you can look at the Tengu, but the training time takes a long time.

Drake - Best mid-tier mission running ship for the Caldari, only under battleships and the T3 cruisers. You could go for a Caracal navy issue instead, but the tank isn't as big and they cost a bit more, so I recommend just training up to a Drake.

Jackdaw - An ok ship for PVE, but only really the best in PVP. Ignore it, unless you can easily train it.

Tengu - Best solo DED site running ship in the game.

Raven/RNI - Good site running ship, can run high-end DED sites as well.

Cerberus - Very good, better than the Drake but outclassed by the Tengu in PVE. It is cheaper, though, and isn't a bad option for site-running.

Side Note: Just get all the core missile skills to at least level 4 (and 5 in the future).