These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

EVE Online is in the Top-Ten Platinum list of WINE

First post First post
Author
Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#21 - 2015-12-31 00:34:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
Whitehound wrote:
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
There is a clear definition for the ratings and the eve rating does not match this definition. This has nothing to do with expectations or opinions, it's a simple fact.

I never played EVE on windows (windows 98 was my last windows installed on any of my machines), I always used linux with wine since I started in 2007. Did that just violate your expectation?

Wrong again. There is no clear definition for the rating as it is a vote. When more people rate an application as platinum than not then it is also the current definition of it.

Here is the list, and no it is not a vote. the votes have nothing to do with the rating:
https://appdb.winehq.org/help/?sTopic=maintainer_ratings

- The installation still needs a lot of DLLs installed via winetricks, so it does not run "out of the box".
- There are several features which do not work correctly, like the captains quarters (no one cares) and some of the new effects (which are important for me at least to determine if a hardener is on or not).

So no, the game should not be rated platinum, no matter how you "feel" about it.
Petrified
Grimm Hounds
SONS of BANE
#22 - 2015-12-31 05:58:10 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
It works decently well out of the box, yes. But it does not work flawlessly, which is clearly a requirement for the "platinum" rating. ...

Again, the fault is in your expectations. What you quote is an example for an application that was rated as Platinum. You now expect that this must be the rule by which it is decided, and again you are wrong and it was just another expectation of yours.

If I can get EVE to run on Linux without tweaking and at low settings (which is how I run it on my windows laptop to avoid thermal death) or even moderate settings:I would consider that "out of the box".

Now I need to give this a try.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

Whitehound
#23 - 2015-12-31 13:06:34 UTC
Petrified wrote:
Whitehound wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
It works decently well out of the box, yes. But it does not work flawlessly, which is clearly a requirement for the "platinum" rating. ...

Again, the fault is in your expectations. What you quote is an example for an application that was rated as Platinum. You now expect that this must be the rule by which it is decided, and again you are wrong and it was just another expectation of yours.

If I can get EVE to run on Linux without tweaking and at low settings (which is how I run it on my windows laptop to avoid thermal death) or even moderate settings:I would consider that "out of the box".

Now I need to give this a try.

I hope it is working for you. It did just that for me. And this was with the default Debian Kernel, the non-free driver package of Nvidia drivers (340.96) and WINE 1.8. I did not need to recompile anything or tweak anything before it worked. I did have to use winetricks to get the necessary components, but I do not consider this tweaking or hacking, because it is a necessity for many applications under WINE and a part of the installation process for as long as I know WINE.

I did in fact expected it not to work this flawless and was therefore surprised to get two clients up and running with the new launcher. I expected that I had to change the library orders around as this was always needed in the past. Now that has stopped, too.

It just worked right away. So for me was it a Platinum experience all the way.

Of course there are people who do have problems running the game, both under Linux and Windows. There will always be some less fortunate or less knowledgeable who need help.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Whitehound
#24 - 2015-12-31 13:10:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
...
So no, the game should not be rated platinum, no matter how you "feel" about it.


An application can be rated as Platinum if it installs and runs flawlessly ‘out of the box’. No changes required in winecfg.

This is exactly how it was for me. No feelings required. The happy feelings came afterwards Lol It also says that it can be rated as Platinum, meaning, it is an example for a Platinum rating. It is not a definition however as it does not say what shall not be rated as Platinum. You do select the rating you want to give it with your vote and you can give it any rating you want. The majority then wins and your opinion is just an opinion in the end and has no influence on it no matter how miserable you feel about it.

I am surprised how far this thread has grown by now. I did not expect EVE players who have problems getting their game running under Linux to feel so badly about the rating. I wonder why. It is just a rating and it does not control how well the game runs or hinders it in anyway. So in the worst case would one just ignore it, but apparently does it cause quit a bit of bad feelings. But I am not surprised that it is a Goon and a CODE agent who feel bad about it. Twisted Those who excel at causing problems do not necessarily excel at solving problems.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#25 - 2016-01-01 16:09:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Ima Wreckyou
Whitehound wrote:
I am surprised how far this thread has grown by now. I did not expect EVE players who have problems getting their game running under Linux to feel so badly about the rating. I wonder why. It is just a rating and it does not control how well the game runs or hinders it in anyway. So in the worst case would one just ignore it, but apparently does it cause quit a bit of bad feelings. But I am not surprised that it is a Goon and a CODE agent who feel bad about it. Twisted Those who excel at causing problems do not necessarily excel at solving problems.

I am not sure if you are in the right subforums if you just want to troll. Please take your "Grrr Code, Hat Goons!!" comments to some other forum this is about EVE on Linux and has nothing to to with our ingame persona.

There was a short time when EVE was running without any additional DLL installed trough winetricks or any other means and it ran flawless. This I consider a platinum rating, if wine runs a game or piece of software "out of the box" without any proprietary third-party DLLs you are probably not even using legally if you don't have a windows license. Installing additional third-party DLLs is by definition not "running out of the box", no matter ho easy it is to install them with winetricks this days.

I am not sure why you think my problem with the rating has something to do with my ability to run EVE on Linux. I do this for ~8 years and never had any problems I could not solve within minutes also thanks to the people of this subforum and winehq.
Ragnar STS
Arcane Odyssey
Electus Matari
#26 - 2016-01-06 01:34:14 UTC
Confirming Whitehound has problems with reading comprehension.

Eve simply does not work out of the box. Therefore it is not platinum.

Eve requires very small tweaks, most easily completed with Winetricks as he already admitted himself.

Just because one is used to popping the hood and giving the carburetor a squirt of starting fluid does not mean that it is ok to apply that same logic to every single vehicle you have the opportunity of driving and say that it is 'platinum' with 'nothing wrong' and 'works out of the box'. You can't sell a car on a used car lot that needs starting fluid and say it is in mint, excellent or even good condition. It is 'fair'.

Every single one of us followed specific instructions to make the thing go. If you have to follow instructions it pretty much isn't platinum, as per wine developer standards and definitions.

Request a mod please lock this completely useless thread that is probably designed to draw attention to somebody's attempt to pad a resume.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#27 - 2016-01-06 18:51:24 UTC
Ragnar STS wrote:
... Every single one of us followed specific instructions to make the thing go. ....
PlayOnLinux -> Install EVE.

I guess not every. single. one. of us. (Since I had Wine and PlayOnLinux already installed) P

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Whitehound
#28 - 2016-01-09 03:35:16 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Ragnar STS wrote:
... Every single one of us followed specific instructions to make the thing go. ....
PlayOnLinux -> Install EVE.

I guess not every. single. one. of us. (Since I had Wine and PlayOnLinux already installed) P

He had to follow "specific instructions" ... Lol This is one way to say that even a Linux noob can get it working.

It reminds me of the one StarTrek movie where Scotty picks up a mouse and starts talking into it, "Computer?! ... Computer?!?" Twisted

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#29 - 2016-01-09 17:41:16 UTC
PoL is not Wine, but a bunch of scripts that just "follow specific instructions" for you.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2016-01-12 10:16:05 UTC
Today's update should put EVE one step closer to earning that platinum badge - I believe I've fixed the Captain's Quarters crash.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Andrea Echerie
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2016-01-12 13:52:05 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Today's update should put EVE one step closer to earning that platinum badge - I believe I've fixed the Captain's Quarters crash.


Yes, you have, thanks.
Mister Ripley
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2016-01-12 17:20:57 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Today's update should put EVE one step closer to earning that platinum badge - I believe I've fixed the Captain's Quarters crash.

The unsung hero of EVE. No one will ever notice, but YOU DID IT!!! Big smileBig smileBig smile
Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#33 - 2016-01-12 18:02:28 UTC
Now we're talking! Next is to wait a couple of years/decades for DirectX 11 support in wine, and then we are almost there. Big smile
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#34 - 2016-01-13 17:16:12 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Today's update should put EVE one step closer to earning that platinum badge - I believe I've fixed the Captain's Quarters crash.


You are my new all time favorite game developer.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

ASTORBG
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#35 - 2016-01-17 15:20:31 UTC
Yes, I am very happy with this rating!
EVE is advanced game from the programming viewpoint and I can still play it in Linux.
Thanks to CCP, I've been playing the game for years in Linux via wine.
If I am pushed to play the game only on W$ndows ... it wont happen.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#36 - 2016-01-24 23:08:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
ASTORBG wrote:
... If I am pushed to play the game only on W$ndows ... it wont happen.
Agreed

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#37 - 2016-03-15 17:45:26 UTC
TBPH it deserves Platinum even without CQ.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#38 - 2016-03-15 18:57:44 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
TBPH it deserves Platinum even without CQ.


Why? (By the way, CQ works now)
Previous page12