These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Heavy Defense Support T2 BS

Author
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#1 - 2016-01-04 07:46:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarisen Gream
The Sentry/Guardian T2 BS

Tech T2 PVP defense BS
These ships would have a single primary focus - Allowing players to redirect hostile target locks to their own ship from other friendly vessels within a set range.

These ships have bonuses for tank and the "Target Redirection Module"

Target Redirection Module: edited details in caps. (Typing in my smart phone, limited typing abilities)
- Redirects target locks of SHIPS OUT SIDE THE AOE TO THE BS. SHIPS INSIDE ARE NOT EFFECTED.
- THE AREA OF EFFECT WOULD BE BETWEEN 5 and 7.5 KM.
- FORMER PREVENTION OF SHIP MOVEMENT REMOVED. REMOVED THOUGHTS THAT PREVENTED PROP MODULES AND WARP DRIVES FROM WORKING
- Only one such module can be in use within 50-100km.

- Counters are nuets and Command Destroyers MMJD. Nuets to shut down the module, or MMJD to jump the ships from inside the safe zone out, excluding the BS.
- 60-120 sec cycle time, and repeatable. If disabled by the player or from lack of fuel/capacitor it has a 300 SEC cool down before it can be reactivated.

- THESE SHIPS WOULD BE FULLY BONUSED AROUND THEIR FACTIONS ACTIVE DEFESIVE FEATURES. COMBAT ABILITES WOULD BE LIMITED TO UNBONUSED DRONES AND HARDPOINTS.
- AS SOME FEAR THESE WOULD BE WASTED BY CAPITAL SHIPS, PERHAPS THEY WOULD HAVE SOME SORT OF ROLE BONUS THAT ASSIST AGAINST THAT, OR MAYBE THE ABILITY TO EXCEED THE CURRENT RESIST MAX AND MAX OUT AT LIKE 98% RESIST.

Lore: Durning a number of salvage runs and research operations into Drifter space, a group of (NPC) scientist found what appeared to be a Target Spectrum Breaker.
Upon closer review and weeks of reverse engineering they learned that the module didn't break target locks but redirected them to the ship using said module.
The research and prototypes where leaked to eiach empire which hurriedly developed high-end defensive ships to use the modules, for capsular use.

p.s. By providing thoughtful counters and an attempt to find ways to balance such a ship (which I have seen my failings in the below post) I still think something like this would be benefit EVE Online. It would add different hardships on the battlefield. Just think about their use in sieging well defended structures in high-sec. Or tanking that super-carrier your mate found while exploring a wormhole.
Yes, they would not be invincible but they would be nearly unbreakable while active when approached without the proper counters.
For me, having hard counters and harsh restrictions for any ship to have such one sided benefit is part of the balance. As EVE is a sandbox, some people would enjoy ships like these and use them to wreck havoc on us all.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#2 - 2016-01-04 07:51:36 UTC
Has the same problem as Marauders. A BS that's not moving will be insta blapped by a dread.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#3 - 2016-01-04 07:59:15 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:
Has the same problem as Marauders. A BS that's not moving will be insta blapped by a dread.

Didn't really think of capitals vs these ships - then again, as I wasn't thinking about them I didn't try to balance them for capitals, plus the fact that all the times I have seen PVP fleets I hardly ever see dreads involved. Unless the fleet is tower bashing or attacking another capital ship.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

Helios Panala
#4 - 2016-01-04 09:39:22 UTC
I'd prefer a special type of 5 to 7.5km POS shield instead of weird sensor tech. Seems more straightforward.

This is essentially a standard MMO tank, make the enemy hit you rather than your party, if something like that was ever introduced I'd want to stop my team getting in hit a way that at least looks a bit cool.
Big shield is better than invisible sensor magic.

A few years ago I'd have confidently said 'no way this will happen' but CCP seem to be experimenting a bit more these days, so who knows.
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#5 - 2016-01-04 10:49:09 UTC
Yes, they are doing some cool things.
And yes, this is basically just a "aggro" control ship.
I would leave the visual graphic to CCP.
But as I am not trying to prevent damage to ships in the safe target zone, but rather divert the target locks to the BS.
Having a "safety bubble" that prevents damage or sends all damage toward the "tank" doesn't seem to fit the sci-fi nature of EVE.

Helios Panala
#6 - 2016-01-04 10:55:32 UTC
"Safety bubble" already has a precedent in the Eve Universe though.

I suppose the only real difference would be whether the proposed Battleship protects against bombs or not.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-01-04 11:52:56 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

Didn't really think of capitals vs these ships

This is EVE... Everything that happens in this game has something to do with Capitals.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-01-04 11:58:49 UTC
Anize Oramara wrote:

Maybe it'll be the first battleship to be able to tank a dreadnought.

There are three defensive skill bonuses and T2 ships get 4 bonuses, so it could have all three defensive skill bonuses, with its race defense duplicated once. Example:
Amarr Battleship Skill
4% improved armor resistances per level
7.5% increased armor hit points per level

Amarr HDSBS Skill
7.5% increased armor repair amount per level

Combine with T2 resists, the EHP buff that battleships need in general, slightly higher base HP on these than marauders after the buff, and new shield extenders and armor plates for battleships, and you might have a really strong tank. Also, these would have a better slot layout for strong tank:
Amarr: 7/4/8
Caldari: 7/8/4
Gallente: 7/5/7
Minmatar: 7/7/5

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Alexhandr Shkarov
The MorningStar. Syndicate
#9 - 2016-01-04 12:13:45 UTC
Helios Panala wrote:
I'd prefer a special type of 5 to 7.5km POS shield instead of weird sensor tech. Seems more straightforward.

This is essentially a standard MMO tank, make the enemy hit you rather than your party, if something like that was ever introduced I'd want to stop my team getting in hit a way that at least looks a bit cool.
Big shield is better than invisible sensor magic.

A few years ago I'd have confidently said 'no way this will happen' but CCP seem to be experimenting a bit more these days, so who knows.

I am not sure if this is a good thing though. Fleets already rely on anchors a lot, and now you're going to allow a brick tanked battleship be an even better anchor?

All my posts are on my personal title and should not be confused as me speaking for anyone else.

Iain Cariaba
#10 - 2016-01-04 12:27:33 UTC
*Looks at the list of penalties for using this ship.*

Here's a thought. If you have to pile that many penalties onto a ship in order to balance out the opness, it's probably not a good idea to start with.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#11 - 2016-01-04 12:43:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Anize Oramara
Amarisen Gream wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

Didn't really think of capitals vs these ships - then again, as I wasn't thinking about them I didn't try to balance them for capitals, plus the fact that all the times I have seen PVP fleets I hardly ever see dreads involved. Unless the fleet is tower bashing or attacking another capital ship.

Actually I'm thinking way too big even though I am 100% correct regardless. I hear phoenixes are quite popular for blapping sub caps.

But seriously a modest sized fleet of arty Machs that are quite common these days in Low and Null will alpha it off the field. Heck a Tach nightmare fleet should be able to do it as well. Arty nados if on a budget or you know, Cane's for real cheap. If it's sitting still it's dead.

Well more dead.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Helios Panala
#12 - 2016-01-04 12:52:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Helios Panala
Amarisen Gream wrote:
- Prevents the BS from moving. Disables prop-modules and has a warp disruption effect for ships inside the safe zone.

If I drop it on top of enemy fleets will it turn off their prop mods and prevent escape?
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#13 - 2016-01-04 15:18:43 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

There are three defensive skill bonuses and T2 ships get 4 bonuses, so it could have all three defensive skill bonuses, with its race defense duplicated once. Example:
Amarr Battleship Skill

Amarr HDSBS Skill

Combine with T2 resists, the EHP buff that battleships need in general, slightly higher base HP on these than marauders after the buff, and new shield extenders and armor plates for battleships, and you might have a really strong tank. Also, these would have a better slot layout for strong tank:

Thank you.

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#14 - 2016-01-04 15:23:23 UTC
Helios Panala wrote:
Amarisen Gream wrote:
- Prevents the BS from moving. Disables prop-modules and has a warp disruption effect for ships inside the safe zone.

If I drop it on top of enemy fleets will it turn off their prop mods and prevent escape?

When it came to thinking up the small prop/warp drive shut down bubble, it was more for the fact that.

If an enemy fleet gets within the bubble. everyone inside of it is effected. using something like a command destroyer to land your brawling cruisers in on your foe is a possible option this just makes it so everyone can't warp out (with out a warp stab) or use prop modes to burn through it.

Ether Fleet with the BS holds their spot, or they get killed.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2016-01-04 15:28:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Frostys Virpio
Anize Oramara wrote:

Amarr Battleship Skill

Amarr HDSBS Skill

So like, 2 dreads instead of one?

Remember, it's also taking the enemy fleet's worth of DPS over what the dread is bringing. It adds up fast.

@OP, if I brawl inside the bubble, I can freely target?
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#16 - 2016-01-04 15:35:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarisen Gream
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Anize Oramara wrote:

Amarr Battleship Skill

Amarr HDSBS Skill

So like, 2 dreads instead of one?

Remember, it's also taking the enemy fleet's worth of DPS over what the dread is bringing. It adds up fast.

@OP, if I brawl inside the bubble, I can freely target?

yes. free targeting inside the bubble. out side the bubble redirects target locks to the BS if the the target is inside the bubble/aoe

my awesome skills at putting shapes together. http://prntscr.com/9lzvkr

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2016-01-04 16:06:27 UTC
Amarisen Gream wrote:

yes. free targeting inside the bubble. out side the bubble redirects target locks to the BS if the the target is inside the bubble/aoe

If it could move, it could be used as an anti-logi but there is an anchor attached to the redirect...
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#18 - 2016-01-04 16:33:16 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Amarisen Gream wrote:

If it could move, it could be used as an anti-logi but there is an anchor attached to the redirect...

I am not a balance master - so if the ship was allowed to move. it would be very slow going...

But, i'm mostly just for a T2 BS that can redirect the targeting from outside the AOE against ships inside the AOE. if the ship is anchored or movable doesn't really matter, as long as it gets balanced accordingly...

maybe CCP could get creative and have different effects for in motion and out of motion. like say a smaller AOE while moving, bigger when still.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#19 - 2016-01-04 17:59:34 UTC
This idea is just bad. It won't make the game more fun or more interesting. If it takes a Dreadnought to break it, then it is OP for small scale fights. At the large scale it will just be a useless HP wall that will have to get killed.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#20 - 2016-01-04 18:01:38 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
*Looks at the list of penalties for using this ship.*

Here's a thought. If you have to pile that many penalties onto a ship in order to balance out the opness, it's probably not a good idea to start with.

This is a tried and true rule for Eve ship design.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

12Next page