These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Dear 'Industrialists'

Author
Gumby Ambraelle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-01-03 19:25:39 UTC
Henry Haphorn wrote:
Let's take a Catalyst as an example. At current prices in Jita, the total minerals that are required to make a Catalyst are worth between 790,000 and 830,000 ISK. The sell orders are placing these ships at around 890,000 and 1,000,000 ISK. Those who simply don't have the patience to make that kind of ISK by placing their finished products for at least 1 week are suffering a loss and that is their own fault for missing out on the profits.

Of course, no amount of debate will convince such players to wait a little to make a better profit because (as Derath pointed out) they don't care as long as they get enjoyment out of it. The same also applies to the sort of miners who don't have the patience to mark up their minerals in sell orders for a week or two. Of course, market traders will profit from the ignorance of fire sellers who don't care. So I guess the universe somehow balances out through that.

EDIT:

Quote:
While I'm very impressed with that Caracal that you built all by yourself, you're selling it for 3.5 million ISK. If you had sold the minerals instead, you'd have 4 million.

I did some math there.

Material / Mineral for Caracal (using current prices posted on ore.Celestes.de)
Tritanium
Units / Unit Price / Subtotal
338,237 3.30 1,116,182.10
Pyerite
84,924 5.28 448,398.72
Mexallon
27,840 48.74 1,356,921.60
Isogen
5,812 64.94 377,431.28
Nocxium
1,404 483.31 678,567.24
Zydrine
304 751.39 228,422.56

Total ISK in minerals: 4,205,923.50 ISK

According to Eve-Central, a Caracal is selling between 4.5mil and 5.5mil.

Of course, these are all based on the sell orders posted. If the producer is doing a fire sale with a Caracal, then the going worth is 3.5mil (which is less than the mineral worth). Just saying.

As an AFK miner\ sports watching miner... I can mine for about 1 TV show or sports event... reprocess all the minerals spend about 700K on what I cannot mine and make 5 catalys. I then sell those catalyst for approx 850K each, which is slightly above mineral cost. Repeat as needed...
I can sell approx 25 catalyst in a week in 3 systems... All of this with a retreiver and very little direct solo eve time invested... I have sold enough catalyst to pay for the original retreiver, all the fittings, all the skill books used to train for that retreiver...so are my minerals free yet? I am just curious.. :)

When I have blocks of dedicated time then I can mission run, loot the kills, reprocess loot and have fewer minerals I must buy. When I do not have blocks of time then I can mine/manufacture and enjoy my TV\sporting events.

I get to enjoy the game the way I wish to play it. I get to make some ISK while I do it and I do not have to comply with the "correct" way to play or make the maxium isk per hour.

It is a game and it is a player driven economy...and all types of players drive that economy.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#22 - 2012-01-03 19:34:48 UTC
you're doing it "right" (still a little lower than you could be selling the ships for, but "right" nonetheless).

It's the guys who mine all the minerals, buy 700k of high-ends to build 5 catalysts, and then sell them for 200k apiece thinking they're "making a profit" that people are usually unhappy with. Granted, I troll the markets looking for those kind of deals (and praise the dudes who are doing it wrong for the free minerals).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Ninyania alCladdyth
McLuvin AstroDynamics
#23 - 2012-01-03 20:21:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Ninyania alCladdyth
Velicitia wrote:
you're doing it "right" (still a little lower than you could be selling the ships for, but "right" nonetheless).

It's the guys who mine all the minerals, buy 700k of high-ends to build 5 catalysts, and then sell them for 200k apiece thinking they're "making a profit" that people are usually unhappy with. Granted, I troll the markets looking for those kind of deals (and praise the dudes who are doing it wrong for the free minerals).

I fail to see why anyone who plays the market even semi-seriously would honestly give a crap if someone else (a) thinks "minerals I mine are free" and/or (b) lists her/his items below established "market value". Just buy the underpriced goods and flip them for a profit. End of story.

Stop trying to "educate the masses" - they don't want to hear your message, and the louder you talk, the deeper they shove their fingers into their ears trying to drown out your "market nonsense".

Velicitia wrote:

I most certainly would *NOT* be unhappy with this person - in fact, I might even send them an evemail asking if they'd be interested in supplying me with ships. They get their $$ immediately, I flip the ships over time for mad-ISKs. Win-win.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#24 - 2012-01-03 20:29:27 UTC
Ninyania alCladdyth wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

I most certainly would *NOT* be unhappy with this person - in fact, I might even send them an evemail asking if they'd be interested in supplying me with ships. They get their $$ immediately, I flip the ships over time for mad-ISKs. Win-win.

TBH, I melt them for minerals...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Gumby Ambraelle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2012-01-04 11:20:33 UTC
I also figure that one day I will be out mining, and this blob will come by and gank me, and tha last thing I will see is one of the catalyst that I built firing the fatal shot...and I will think of the sweet irony of it all as I wake up in a puddle of goo some where.... Lol
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#26 - 2012-01-04 12:38:50 UTC
I like seeing the same threads pop across the years.

No one ever stopped to think that - after all - the time and money you are spending in the game are not free as well?

If you are so anal about efficiency, you should quit EvE and find a (second) job. Even flipping burgers will net you more and will be oh-so-more efficient and business sound than playing EvE.
Accendi
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2012-01-04 12:54:13 UTC
If i go out when its raining and collect water in a bucket, is that not free?
Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#28 - 2012-01-04 13:30:35 UTC
Accendi wrote:
If i go out when its raining and collect water in a bucket, is that not free?

No cos you could have set up a paddling pool and collected more so bucketcollecterzsux Twisted

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

J Kunjeh
#29 - 2012-01-04 15:03:14 UTC
To the MIMAF haters: do you realize that you're actually paying more to play Eve than you think? ALOT more? It's not just your sub, but the MASSIVE lost opportunity this game represents. You could be making a ton of RL money if you were spending time outside of the game trying to do so instead of spending 20 hours a week in the game trying to make your ISK balance rise (or worse, wasting time on the forums trying to convince others that the minerals they mine aren't free). Get a life, seriously.

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Claire Raynor
NovaGear
#30 - 2012-01-04 17:43:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Claire Raynor
Hi.

It happens because we get excited about having made something. We mined the minerals, made the items, and then we want to sell them. We look at the market and see what the current cheapest is and then list ours cheaper because we want to see our product sell.

And then when it does we almost pee ourselves in exitement!!!! And we know we lost money [compared to] if we'd have just sold the minerals.

[edit]
bilingi
Grandeur Illusions
#31 - 2012-01-05 00:08:49 UTC  |  Edited by: bilingi
Honestly i like to make stuff... I mine while reading or playing with the grand kids....

I dont really care about makeing a profit.... If i make 50 frigates just because i have a BPC or even a bpo its fun just to see it sold... I do not really watch profits that much.. i did but why worry about it someone will always buy it and i wll always have isk..

above poster said it for me even better...
Tasko Pal
Spallated Garniferous Schist
#32 - 2012-01-05 01:11:29 UTC
The "minerals are free" thing is a straightforward case of opportunity cost. You're choosing to do something that costs you money when the alternatives, such as just selling the minerals, searching a little for a good that is profitable to make, or merely selling the good you do make in a place where you actually make a profit, are pretty easy to do. I understand where people are coming from when they say that they like manufacturing even at a loss. I just think they'd like it even better, if it was adding to their profits rather than taking away.

Having said that, I'm with Brock. If you're whining because someone makes mistakes while playing the market game, then you're doing it wrong.

Derath Ellecon wrote:
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
Derath Ellecon wrote:
The main issue in all of these threads is in trying to apply real life ideas to a GAME.

A GAME with a player controlled economy.

Yes a player driven economy. But still a game. The key factor there is that people will do things that don't make financial sense because they don't care. They don't care because what they are doing gives them enjoyment.aspects of eve that I enjoy, and bypass the parts that feel too much like my real job.

I see this as something like insisting that one can only count real world objects. That math somehow doesn't apply to GAMES.

It's worth noting here that the fact of "being a game" is completely irrelevant to the economics of Eve other than implying that there's a larger economy that virtually all market participants participate in, which typically has higher priority. You can still apply real life ideas to the GAME because the GAME is just as much real life as anything else. In addition, it doesn't matter if something is real life or not anyway. If you have the market real, virtual, or some other state of being, you have the hooks in which to apply those real world ideas.
Linda Shadowborn
Dark Steel Industries
#33 - 2012-01-05 02:51:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Linda Shadowborn
So if you really want to drive that argument to the absurdom (is that even a word?) you might as well whine that people run lvl 4 when they could be doing incursions/sleepers/anoms (or whatever is the latest huge isk faucet) since they are making less ISK.

As said many times, if people want to put up items below mineral cost... have buy orders up and get your minerals cheap or just flip em. You make money and is happy, they get their asking price and is happy.

Though... on the other hand I do understand where you come from. In my RL line of work I constantly see people undercutting eachother to the point of actually losing money on the jobs (or.. I guess they have illegal immigrants doing it because there is NO way they can have a profit otherwise). So yes I have no love for the "i am cheapest i just want it to sell/get the job" but.. this is a game.. Who cares, its internet pixel money. They get the money they asked for and are happy.. isnt that what a game is all about? Having fun? or have we all gone of the deep and really believe that internet spaceships IS serious business to the point of being RL?

Not everything has to be the optimal way, sometimes.. just do it for the lulz.. or.. the tears.. oh wait.. that is rather common to in EVE isnt it? :) So perhaps they are doing it for the tears.. these tears that they assume the OP is shedding when he sees those ships sold for below cost.

HA!! Figured it out, they are just griefers.. Griefing the marketers and industrialists. Now eve makes sense again, was getting worried that people took eve too serious there for a while.

EDIT: HAHA!!!! sorry eve forums.. copy paste before hitting post FTW your we where ganked missed me!
Tasko Pal
Spallated Garniferous Schist
#34 - 2012-01-05 22:36:16 UTC
Linda Shadowborn wrote:

So if you really want to drive that argument to the absurdom (is that even a word?) you might as well whine that people run lvl 4 when they could be doing incursions/sleepers/anoms (or whatever is the latest huge isk faucet) since they are making less ISK.

Except there is a big difference between these activities which one would expect to influence one's preferences over which activity to do. The "minerals are free" argument basically boils down to "I don't feel like taking a few minutes to figure out whether I could be doing what I do in a better way for me".
MapQ
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-01-06 07:38:08 UTC  |  Edited by: MapQ
It's a game which is run by an economy, an economy that is run by players - so obviously some real world incentives will fall into EVE.

What is up with all of these "People don't care because it's a game" arguments? It's one of the most absurd damage control defenses I have ever heard.

In this game you make profit, profit becomes time, it becomes cooler ships, it becomes a better YOU. The best decision would be making the most out of your work so you can go out and buy whatever you like whether it be ships, skillbooks, etc. to keep you satisfied. Telling people that "people don't care because it's a game" is a logical fallacy - if this is somewhat true, why not just give minerals to people? **** around in space with your hulk and shoot rocks all day with tier 1 hybrid lasers? People care, maybe not as much as real world currency, but enough to compete and sell for maximum profits.

So far it seems the defense is countering with a lame, lazy excuse for their poor, asinine decisions.

I personally don't like mining that much, but it helps pay for eve time on my alt accounts and I don't have to put that much effort into mining.
Alaadra Mernher
End of Line Financial Services
#36 - 2012-01-08 14:43:08 UTC
It's the price they're willing to pay to have fun in the game.

You could draw a parallel to real life jobs: I work for company ABC doing job XYZ. I could move to company EFG and do job VWX, which is pretty close to XYZ, but not exactly the same and make 1.5 times my current salary. But I don't really like doing VWX very much and I prefer doing XYZ, so I'll take a lesser salary in order to have a 'fun' job, or at least the job I like best between the two options. (I always overlook something when doing those kind of comparisons, please point it out :P)

People who do that, as others have pointed out, like Manufacturing. Maybe they don't like playing market games. Maybe they can't be bothered with the few minutes it takes to make market research, because they hate that. It's a few minutes to much for them. I know I do it. In the end, they take a pay cut in exchange for doing what they like.

"But they would make more money just selling the minerals!". Yes, but they enjoy manufacturing. Yes they would be making more profit, but they wouldn't have fun.

Is it a poor decision? From a pure profit perpective, yes undoubtedly. Can you really fault them for doing what they like in the game? I wouldn't think so.

It's the same reason you're playing EvE right now, or browsing the forums. You could be making RL money by working! Why are you sitting there playing a game? Because you need a break from your work week and you enjoy playing EvE.

Alaadra
Wyke Mossari
Staner Industries
#37 - 2012-01-08 16:26:33 UTC

Lives are free in other games that is no excuse to throw them away.
pussnheels
Viziam
#38 - 2012-01-09 08:51:21 UTC
Aaron Knossos wrote:
Just because you mined those minerals yourself, doesn't mean they are free. They have a value, as determined by the buy orders in your region.

While I'm very impressed with that Caracal that you built all by yourself, you're selling it for 3.5 million ISK. If you had sold the minerals instead, you'd have 4 million.

Please l2math.

you might be right but atleast that new player that just build that caracal is probably very proud of his / her archievment
just when i was ,when i finally did build my freighter , mining all the minerals myself selling the over production of minerals and buying the hugh end minerals from that profit

that was a day to remember when she finally was finished , my pride and joy

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#39 - 2012-01-09 13:01:38 UTC
Tasko Pal wrote:
I see this as something like insisting that one can only count real world objects. That math somehow doesn't apply to GAMES.

It's worth noting here that the fact of "being a game" is completely irrelevant to the economics of Eve other than implying that there's a larger economy that virtually all market participants participate in, which typically has higher priority. You can still apply real life ideas to the GAME because the GAME is just as much real life as anything else. In addition, it doesn't matter if something is real life or not anyway. If you have the market real, virtual, or some other state of being, you have the hooks in which to apply those real world ideas.

MapQ wrote:
What is up with all of these "People don't care because it's a game" arguments? It's one of the most absurd damage control defenses I have ever heard.

No, in fact it is completely relevant and you are missing the point. The "It's a GAME argument" is not that you cannot apply real life math to EVE. Of course you can. The point where the comparison breaks down is not in the hard math, but the motivation.

For example, In the real world I play the industrialist. And my primary motivation is to maximize profit. Why? It puts food on the table and a roof over my family's head. It allows me to pay my employees and keep them happy and so forth.

Now to be fair, I am not an industrialist in EVE. It feels too much like work. That is because my primary motivation in EVE is to have FUN. I do plenty of things that don't maximize my profit in EVE because they aren't fun (I seel to buy orders etc).

Now, there are plenty of people in EVE who are also motivated by FUN, who like to mine and build things. These are the people who will sell their items at a loss.

TLDR- The "It's a game argument" isn't about not applying real life math to EVE. It is that these calculations are irrelevant as the players motivation is FUN not PROFIT.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#40 - 2012-01-09 13:53:36 UTC
pussnheels wrote:
Aaron Knossos wrote:
Just because you mined those minerals yourself, doesn't mean they are free. They have a value, as determined by the buy orders in your region.

Please l2math.

you might be right but atleast that new player that just build that caracal is probably very proud of his / her archievment
just when i was ,when i finally did build my freighter , mining all the minerals myself selling the over production of minerals and buying the hugh end minerals from that profit

that was a day to remember when she finally was finished , my pride and joy

The difference in the two scenarios is thus:

-- the caracal builder was trying to make a profit (I'm going to assume anyone using sell orders has the "for profit" motivation)
-- you were doing it "because you can" ... and wanted something shiny for yourself.

Previous page123Next page