These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CO users on the capitals

Author
miguel Manjarrez
#1 - 2016-01-01 03:34:43 UTC
Co-users option on the capitals. Maybe two users might ease the requirements and if possible complex tactics and encounters might ensue. Carriers with this option might be more effective in gameplay. Micro mange the capital for interface enthusiast. Not to sure if this has been type for a post if it has been mention then I apologize, but multi-tasking is not healthy.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#2 - 2016-01-01 03:59:14 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Diomedes
miguel Manjarrez wrote:
Co-users option on the capitals. Maybe two users might ease the requirements and if possible complex tactics and encounters might ensue. Carriers with this option might be more effective in gameplay. Micro mange the capital for interface enthusiast. Not to sure if this has been type for a post if it has been mention then I apologize, but multi-tasking is not healthy.

The Devs have already stated that this is not currently possible.

Multi-tasking is very healthy. Good for the heart, soul, and mind.

PS - for an experienced player, Capital Ships are among the easiest to fly. They move slowly and take a long time to do most things. Rather than requiring someone to assist me with my Capital Ships, I usually fly three of them at once. I find it 10,000 times harder to fly an Interceptor well than to fly three Dreadnoughts.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-01-01 06:35:35 UTC
Posting on redundant thread to show support for the idea, even though I am aware the devs have already said no.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Kyra Lee
Ixian Machines
#4 - 2016-01-01 11:53:42 UTC
Since I have no idea where those other threads are i'll post here, and I will post seriously.

1. Assuming this could actually be implemented into the game somehow, how do you envision it working?
2. Would one person control the highslots and drones and the other the mediums and lows?
3. Who would actually fly the ship around in space?
4. What happens when the ship blows up?
4a. Are two pods ejected?
4b. Who gets the loss mail?
4c. Who gets the insurance payout?
5. Who's skills affect the ship and modules?
6. Would these ships require 2 people or could they be flown solo with no penalty?
7. Who controls the ships cargo, fuel, drone bays, jump, and warp drive?

These are just the questions I came up with after a few minutes, I am sure there are plenty more to be answered. While this may sound like fun and emergent gameplay I just don't see it being practical to use. Not only do you have to coordinate with your fleet members you would also have to coordinate with your shipmates. Each capital ship would need its own set of comms for internal communication so as not to flood the main fleet channel with irrelevant chatter. This is possible in the real life military due to the the fact that you are in the same physical location as your squad members. Typically one of those members is the dedicated radio operator that relays info to and from the battlefield commanders.

Also on a more personal note, I hate loosing ships due to the mistakes or incompetence of others and I think something like this would only amplify those feelings.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#5 - 2016-01-01 18:38:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Setting aside the technical hurdles and the fact that CCP has already said this is not possible and will not happen.

-1 - after sitting next to many cap ship pilots and watching them control their ships they have no more or no less work to do than the pilot of any other drones ships in the game. So no you cannot have this for your cap ships carrier or other wise.

Their is much debate about this from the lore perspective.

One side says that since our ships would need to have a crew to keep them in working order it only makes sense that they would have to control portions of the ship to do so.

The other side (yes that includes me) agrees that we have a crew on our ships and yes they do serve critical functions of monitoring, maintenance and repair of systems. However when it come to control that is hard wired to the capsule which in turn is hardwired into the pilots brain making it difficult if not impossible to split functions between to people.

From a practical game playing point of view I would not like this based solely on the possible restrictions in the use of the ship.
What if your co-pilot is not online, how do you fly a multi-person ship? If you would use alts then why bother with the whole idea to start with.
miguel Manjarrez
#6 - 2016-01-01 19:16:00 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
miguel Manjarrez wrote:

PS - for an experienced player, Capital Ships are among the easiest to fly. They move slowly and take a long time to do most things. Rather than requiring someone to assist me with my Capital Ships, I usually fly three of them at once. I find it 10,000 times harder to fly an Interceptor well than to fly three Dreadnoughts.

Thanks for the post maybe two capitals joined that form one ship would be nice
miguel Manjarrez
#7 - 2016-01-01 19:18:25 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Posting on redundant thread to show support for the idea, even though I am aware the devs have already said no.

thank you for the post I would research topics for future questions if it occurs
miguel Manjarrez
#8 - 2016-01-01 19:54:18 UTC
Kyra Lee wrote:
Since I have no idea where those other threads are i'll post here, and I will post seriously.

1. Assuming this could actually be implemented into the game somehow, how do you envision it working?
2. Would one person control the highslots and drones and the other the mediums and lows?
3. Who would actually fly the ship around in space?
4. What happens when the ship blows up?
4a. Are two pods ejected?
4b. Who gets the loss mail?
4c. Who gets the insurance payout?
5. Who's skills affect the ship and modules?
6. Would these ships require 2 people or could they be flown solo with no penalty?
7. Who controls the ships cargo, fuel, drone bays, jump, and warp drive?

These are just the questions I came up with after a few minutes, I am sure there are plenty more to be answered. While this may sound like fun and emergent gameplay I just don't see it being practical to use. Not only do you have to coordinate with your fleet members you would also have to coordinate with your shipmates. Each capital ship would need its own set of comms for internal communication so as not to flood the main fleet channel with irrelevant chatter. This is possible in the real life military due to the the fact that you are in the same physical location as your squad members. Typically one of those members is the dedicated radio operator that relays info to and from the battlefield commanders.

Also on a more personal note, I hate loosing ships due to the mistakes or incompetence of others and I think something like this would only amplify those feelings.

Like a two player space flight

1. Two users to ship flown Valkyrie style one flying and other defender maybe a type of support control for example carriers squad control shared or assigned for another user to control
2. one user can do but if the ships had many items like drones maybe shared drone squads
3.If possible one would fly maybe Valkyrie style user and the eve user attack controls
4.Valkyrie style user would past and eve user uses escapes pod
4b. eve user 4c eve user
5.Eve user and bonus effects by Valkyrie type user
6.Both no penalty
7.Eve user

Maybe a different type of gaming to bridge the gap between those that have the option of new up in coming tech and those that do not it is an if were possible. Maybe Dust can also have a retry for a place in eve online that it is distant to eve at the moment.
Thank you for the post.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#9 - 2016-01-01 20:09:00 UTC
miguel Manjarrez wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
miguel Manjarrez wrote:

We basically already have this with boot carriers. Anchor up on each other, commence cap chaining, assign drones. Many people hate them.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

miguel Manjarrez
#10 - 2016-01-01 20:09:34 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
Setting aside the technical hurdles and the fact that CCP has already said this is not possible and will not happen.

-1 - after sitting next to many cap ship pilots and watching them control their ships they have no more or no less work to do than the pilot of any other drones ships in the game. So no you cannot have this for your cap ships carrier or other wise.

Their is much debate about this from the lore perspective.

One side says that since our ships would need to have a crew to keep them in working order it only makes sense that they would have to control portions of the ship to do so.

The other side (yes that includes me) agrees that we have a crew on our ships and yes they do serve critical functions of monitoring, maintenance and repair of systems. However when it come to control that is hard wired to the capsule which in turn is hardwired into the pilots brain making it difficult if not impossible to split functions between to people.

From a practical game playing point of view I would not like this based solely on the possible restrictions in the use of the ship.
What if your co-pilot is not online, how do you fly a multi-person ship? If you would use alts then why bother with the whole idea to start with.

Thank you for the post a muilt user flown ship is and might be difficult but with new upcoming tech like Valkyrie has shown the possible inside control of a capital would be hard to dismiss or shared controls of A eve user and a Valkyrie type user for one ship but it is for the fact of bridging different styles of gameplay to one working one if possible and a capital might be a test of that different game play it seems equal to both users.
miguel Manjarrez
#11 - 2016-01-01 20:11:29 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
miguel Manjarrez wrote:
FT Diomedes wrote:
miguel Manjarrez wrote:

We basically already have this with boot carriers. Anchor up on each other, commence cap chaining, assign drones. Many people hate them.

thanks for the reply there's a lot I don't know of the game thanks