These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Higgs rigs; why don't they stop jump field gennies?

Author
Mikalas T
Free Throbbing Veinal Penii For Spacmens
#1 - 2015-12-17 12:06:43 UTC

'' This unique rig generates drag against the energy field of space itself''
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#2 - 2015-12-17 12:53:54 UTC
They don't stop jump field generators because there are already enough tools rolling wh w/ stabbed cloaky interdicted higgs T3s. Giving that group of players immunity to jump field generators would be horribly wrong.

Nyalnara
Marauder Initiative
#3 - 2015-12-17 16:34:36 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
They don't stop jump field generators because there are already enough tools rolling wh w/ stabbed cloaky interdicted higgs T3s. Giving that group of players immunity to jump field generators would be horribly wrong.

Could be a way to force back station game, though. Because it pretty much died as fast as the BS that got wooshed off-station.

French half-noob.

Non, je ne suis pas gentil.

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#4 - 2015-12-17 17:45:23 UTC
Why would anyone in their right mind want station games back? They were boring, pointless and an activity of no real value except for those to scared of risking loss to actually look for a real fight.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#5 - 2015-12-17 17:53:38 UTC
Samillian wrote:
Why would anyone in their right mind want station games back? They were boring, pointless and an activity of no real value except for those to scared of risking loss to actually look for a real fight.

This pretty much sums it up, just using less graphic imagery and profanity than I might have employed.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#6 - 2015-12-17 18:57:37 UTC
Samillian wrote:

What you, me and others call pointless and of no real value is the end game of eve to several groups that don't realize you can actually use the game space between gates and stations (I'll group them under the label of 'modern era HS mercs').

If you look at the Fix Wardecs thread, there are some guys white knuckling the undock ring. A guy proposed an in space thinger for the agressing corps to defend and a monsterous wall of text is being used to barricade the fighting w/in the docking ring. Their fear of getting off the station to fight is almost a physical thing with a couple of them.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-12-18 09:15:05 UTC
I think it's actually not a bad idea. It's not just a way to hand players a cop-out for jump fields, it's not like everyone will just fit higgs rigs. They come with a substantial drawback, so before you fit one you've got to think about how likely it is to help vs how much it'll hurt. Also, it would protect against defensive use of jump fields, so if your own group is employing jump destroyers for use on your own members, then that would invalidate the higgs rig as an option.

I see no huge balance issue at a glance.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Mikalas T
Free Throbbing Veinal Penii For Spacmens
#8 - 2015-12-18 12:32:08 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
I think it's actually not a bad idea. It's not just a way to hand players a cop-out for jump fields, it's not like everyone will just fit higgs rigs. They come with a substantial drawback, so before you fit one you've got to think about how likely it is to help vs how much it'll hurt. Also, it would protect against defensive use of jump fields, so if your own group is employing jump destroyers for use on your own members, then that would invalidate the higgs rig as an option.

I see no huge balance issue at a glance.

Precisely, it gives a reasonable gain for a reasonable cost, and gives additional options for decisions on fits.
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#9 - 2015-12-18 13:19:32 UTC
Seems reasonable until you realise the balance cost is the return of station games.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-12-18 13:21:45 UTC
I dont do station games, why do they not just scram the dessie?
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#11 - 2015-12-18 14:06:46 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

^ I also have no ida.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Alexis Nightwish
#12 - 2015-12-18 17:53:19 UTC
Arya Regnar wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

^ I also have no ida.

Scramming is an offensive action, so it gives you a weapons timer. Can't dock with a weapons timer.

CCP approaches problems in one of two ways: nudge or cludge

EVE Online's "I win!" Button

Fixing bombs, not the bombers

Lyra Gerie
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-12-18 18:16:47 UTC
Alternative, higgs rigs cause the ship in question not to be jumped as far as one without a rig. Maybe a 20% reduction per T1 rig and a 25% reduction with T2. This means 3 T2 rigs will cause them to jump 25km off station as opposed to the 100km of the destroyer.

This means if a player doing station games wants to be safe they need at least 2 T1 higgs to be even remotely safe and that is a rather large draw back to any combat ship. Even then it would still jump them 60km from the station and if they're in a large ship it would give a chance for fast tackle to still catch them especially with their slowed align time.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2015-12-18 18:24:13 UTC
Alexis Nightwish wrote:
Arya Regnar wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

^ I also have no ida.

Scramming is an offensive action, so it gives you a weapons timer. Can't dock with a weapons timer.

So what changes? Guy docks before the jump today or before the tank broke in the old days.

I'm not trolling, I really don't get it.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#15 - 2015-12-19 17:06:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
Nyalnara wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:

Could be a way to force back station game, though. Because it pretty much died as fast as the BS that got wooshed off-station.

... just scram the BS

Scrams do work on friendlies you know

Besides anything that stops station games is a good thing
Alexis Nightwish
#16 - 2015-12-21 17:51:46 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Alexis Nightwish wrote:
Arya Regnar wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

^ I also have no ida.

So what changes? Guy docks before the jump today or before the tank broke in the old days.

I'm not trolling, I really don't get it.

Exactly right, nothing really changes.

You asked "why do they not just scram the dessie?" and I answered "because of weapons timer". The docking game guy isn't going to scram the dessy to escape being pulled away, he'll just dock.

CCP approaches problems in one of two ways: nudge or cludge

EVE Online's "I win!" Button

Fixing bombs, not the bombers

Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#17 - 2015-12-21 18:05:31 UTC
So cons are it will aid risk averse nullified, stabbed cloaky t3 rolling cruisers and it aid risk averse docking ring heros.

The pros are none.

Can we close this as a solved mystery?
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#18 - 2015-12-21 18:14:25 UTC
The Micro-Jump Field Generator does not work in hisec. So no change to hisec station games. Pretty much eliminates station games in lowsec and nullsec.