These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

MTU's with defensive capabilities.

First post
Author
Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#21 - 2015-12-08 01:09:05 UTC
Or, more cost effectively: you could scoop up the MTU when someone not friendly appears on the scene.

Also, don't leave them in space by themselves... they really are not supposed to be AFK collection devices - hence why they can be attacked in high sec without invoking a criminal flag.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#22 - 2015-12-08 01:10:43 UTC
Dear CCP,

I left a glass box full of gold out in the middle of a crowded field. While I was away, someone smashed it with a hammer and took my gold. Please redesign glass boxes so that shards of glass pierce future hammer swingers' eyes so that I do not have to take care of my own stuff. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Meno Understandeveo

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Iain Cariaba
#23 - 2015-12-08 01:11:32 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
Get out in space and defend your stuff. Problem solved.

But.. but.. but.. :EFFORT!!!:
Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#24 - 2015-12-08 01:14:23 UTC
Ageanal Olerie wrote:

A Decoy MTU.

Ultra cheap fake MTUs, which may or may not have some of the features that help disguise its true identity. These would be destroyed fairly easily, and while they wouldn't drop anything, they would still leave you with the Suspect Flag.

Let's shake things up and make them a bit more interesting for the MTU hunters.

Now this would be a fun addition. But it is easily achievable with the current in-game mechanics: just drop an MTU in space and then sit near it cloaked ready to pounce when someone shoots it and goes suspect.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

The Ginger Sith
Attero Industries
#25 - 2015-12-08 01:21:28 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

Griefers are virtually non-existent in Eve, so you are likely mistaken about what happened to your MTU. It was most likely destroyed by a regular player enjoying the game in accordance with its rules.

that statement has more bull **** flowing from it then obama's entire career lol people get banned for greifing in starter systems all the time... ofc killing an occasional MTU is not griefing unless they follow the same person and do it constantly for days/weeks.
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#26 - 2015-12-08 01:34:58 UTC
The Ginger Sith wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

Griefers are virtually non-existent in Eve, so you are likely mistaken about what happened to your MTU. It was most likely destroyed by a regular player enjoying the game in accordance with its rules.

that statement has more bull **** flowing from it then obama's entire career lol people get banned for greifing in starter systems all the time...

I anxiously await your hard numbers on the actual frequency of this occurrence, both as a flat value and as a percentage of game activity.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Renfus
Bloodhorn
Patchwork Freelancers
#27 - 2015-12-08 02:19:59 UTC
Carry a couple mtus in your cargo..
I carry 4..
When you finish a site drop a mtu.. no one will find it unless they scan it down..
Bookmark it and move on to the next site and repeat..
After you finish your last site and drop your last mtu go collect your loot and mtus...

((( Alliance Creation ))) Corp Update Service available ( 10,600 Member limit ). ++ Free with Alliance Creation ++ Contact me In-Game.

Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#28 - 2015-12-08 04:07:00 UTC
Ageanal Olerie wrote:

More costly to be sure, but let the MTU's fight back.

Also how about a self-destruct. Once it get's below a certain amount of structure damage the self-destruct mechanism kicks in with a large directed burst of damaging energy and shrapnel that heads directly toward the attacker.

If that's too much the self-destruct would kick in upon destruction and simply destroy all the contents within.

How about an MTU that converts matter into shield energy. Destroying items within one-by-one to buff the shields. The more mass the object has the more shield energy it produces.

How about an MTU that sends you a notification that it's under attack if you are in game at the time.

Anyhow, I left one of these in the field for a very brief period in a lonely system (less than 5 minutes) when I docked up. It was destroyed by the time I returned (by a lone griefer who's killboard shows that this is his profession apparently).

Absolutely supported, but make hacking them possible too, so when you come back to it you are no longer the owner and it fights you.

While I dislike these guys too, you have the option of training the skills and doing it with a Noctis yourself. You could always guard it, I am not sure if they get a suspect flag for it, but if they do you can always prepare a little party for the guy the next time you see him around.

There are also corps of pro salvagers who will do it for you. Depending on where you are. In the area I operate in ProSynergy does it fro half the value.
The Ginger Sith
Attero Industries
#29 - 2015-12-08 06:13:17 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
The Ginger Sith wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

that statement has more bull **** flowing from it then obama's entire career lol people get banned for greifing in starter systems all the time...

I anxiously await your hard numbers on the actual frequency of this occurrence, both as a flat value and as a percentage of game activity.

there is no need since there is the fact CCP has a rule in the EULA that makes griefing a bannable offensive in starter systems that along is proof that your virtually non-existant griefers very much exist your attempt to troll is cute tho
SurrenderMonkey
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#30 - 2015-12-08 06:25:50 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
The Ginger Sith wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
The Ginger Sith wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:

there is no need since there is the fact CCP has a rule in the EULA that makes griefing a bannable offensive in starter systems that along is proof that your virtually non-existant griefers very much exist your attempt to troll is cute tho

No, that's proof that once upon a time, they decided to ban that particular activity.

It says absolutely nothing about the pervasiveness of that activity, especially not as it stands today.

Most countries, for instance, have laws against treason. Does the mere existence of the law make treason a common offense? Is there a massive, treasonous crime wave being kept under wraps by the media?

So, having established that we can't actually determine anything merely by the existence of a rule, I once again anxiously await your hard numbers on the actual frequency of this occurrence, both as a flat value and as a percentage of game activity.

How many bans per month are handed out based on that rule?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#31 - 2015-12-08 08:20:40 UTC
If you can't defend it don't depoloy it.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2015-12-08 09:08:22 UTC
You're all missing a trick. I mean, if the thing shoots back, it MUST form an LE with the owner, right....we all know how that went in the past.

+1, on that basis.
Deukmans Fehrnah
Gaming Dutchies
#33 - 2015-12-08 09:09:42 UTC
isnt the real question why it takes him 5 mins to go to a station and back? i can do it faster in a battleship and im pretty sure you can do it faster in a dread.

mtu allow you to gather loot from long distances without actually going there, similar to a noctis(without salvageing). this makes life easier for slow battlship fits which are common for PvE. that being the reason for their existance, making them vaporize loot or other them doing other weird stuff to your "loot" is a stupid solution.

further more, if you live in Nullsec like me, leaving a MTU with possibly 100mil or more in loot ungarded isnt a profitable idea.

tdlr: dont leave you valueables in space, it gets shot like every other thing out there. this one is on you only buddy
Iain Cariaba
#34 - 2015-12-08 09:14:23 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
You're all missing a trick. I mean, if the thing shoots back, it MUST form an LE with the owner, right....we all know how that went in the past.

+1, on that basis.

You know, I'd forgotten about that little trick.

I changed my mind, I now fully support MTUs being able to defend themselves. Twisted
Solecist Project
#35 - 2015-12-08 12:08:56 UTC
Ageanal Olerie wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
The fact that you describe the person who killed your precious inert piece of space machinery as a 'griefer' says it all, sorry

Are you afraid of a little challenge?

Or not being rewarded for your bad behavior, other than the satisfaction of aggravating another player?

Roll

Are you afraid of the little challenge of defending your mtu yourself?
Or why do you need CCP to implement a defense for you?

You call them griefers, yet you are the passive aggressive one who looks down on people ...
... refusing to accept the game and your responsibility ...
... and most probably hiding behind an alt.

I hope for you that it's an alt, because many of us aren't particularly fond of griefers like yourself.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#36 - 2015-12-08 12:48:07 UTC
Post with your main so we can see how your first lost an MTU and then a ship

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2015-12-08 13:52:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Ageanal Olerie wrote:

I think I can get behind this idea.

Reship into something PvP-capable and do it.

While we are at it, consider this: the way CCP are changing the game right now (sov system, citadel defences and the like) telegraphs their intention very well: they want to make PvP-relevant actions only as hard as other players allow it. Hostile space is only as hostile as players in it, taking sov is only hard if there's opposition, citadels will only be as well-defended as players that are online can make them. By the same token, MTU is only so "wrong" to mess with as its owner is a wrong dude to provoke. Notifications and all may be fine, but it won't fight your battles for you.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#38 - 2015-12-08 14:17:34 UTC
I like the idea assuming the owner of the MTU gets an agression timer as soon as the MTU shoots at me. As long as the owner gets a timer - this has content written all over it.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#39 - 2015-12-08 14:26:03 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
Ageanal Olerie wrote:

I think I can get behind this idea.

Reship into something PvP-capable and do it.

While we are at it, consider this: the way CCP are changing the game right now (sov system, citadel defences and the like) telegraphs their intention very well: they want to make PvP-relevant actions only as hard as other players allow it. Hostile space is only as hostile as players in it, taking sov is only hard if there's opposition, citadels will only be as well-defended as players that are online can make them. By the same token, MTU is only so "wrong" to mess with as its owner is a wrong dude to provoke. Notifications and all may be fine, but it won't fight your battles for you.

Why would anyone defend a citadel? You stuff has space magic protection. Here's how it will go. Join corp. Corp provides Citadel (there will be very few personal citadels in eve). Move your stuff in.

Citadel gets attacked - you have 2 options:

1. Defend it if you feel like it.
2. Collect your stuff once the heat dies down and it's safe if you don't feel like it.

CCP is giving away content opportunities. New awesome stations with no real reason to defend them (other than the cost to put up a new one).

MTU shooting back is more a HS thing. It's reasonable that the owner gets an agression timer if it shoots at someone.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#40 - 2015-12-08 17:45:12 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

+1, on that basis.

You are right.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Previous page123Next page