These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Just for fun...let's talk bad investments

Author
HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#1 - 2015-12-06 17:01:44 UTC  |  Edited by: HeXxploiT
You know when the council diplomatic shuttle was released I picked up a few dozen of these in various regions using regional buy orders for anywhere between 50,000-100,000isk. I waited patiently however for their pricepoint to drop below 200,000(preferably 100,000) in trade hubs so that I might stockpile some. The price never did come down.
I hoard unique hulls for long term profits and I do my math. The council diplomatic shuttle loses between 2-5 ships per day. That's a rate 10x slower than the Gnosis.

I'm sorry guys but those of you who have been hoarding these aren't going to see a profit for 10 years minimum.P

Shame on you for being overeager to get some and not letting the price drop to reasonable levels and letting me have some.
You get what you deserve. Big smile
Droodid
Antec Enterprises
#2 - 2015-12-06 17:05:51 UTC
I dumped a ridiculous amount of Oxygen isotopes about 2 weeks before the Goonian interdiction. I was a little cross.
Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#3 - 2015-12-06 17:51:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Elizabeth Norn
I've been saying for ages that the Council Diplomatic Shuttles are hugely overpriced compared other ships we have been gifted in the past, or are the old ones just underpriced?

As for my own, I once bought a couple hundred researched Prototype Cloaking Device BPOs (still selling them now), have sold a bunch PLEX right before price spikes and probably lots of other little ones I don't remember.
HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-12-06 18:00:51 UTC
Elizabeth Norn wrote:

As for my own, I once bought a couple hundred researched Prototype Cloaking Device BPOs (still selling them now), have sold a bunch PLEX right before price spikes and probably lots of other little ones I don't remember.

Oh that's funny because I bought a bunch of those myself a couple years back not realizing how many had been researched.
Heck I probably bought some off you.Big smile
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#5 - 2015-12-06 22:23:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Sabriz Adoudel
There's things you lose on because you base your decision on solid reasoning and there's an unforeseeable change that shafts you. (I got done on the exploration changes but got out fast enough to not get hammered)

Then there's things you lose on because you base your purchase decision on faulty reasoning.

I got done a bit buying up lots and lots and lots and lots of meta afterburners and microwarpdrives, thinking that the tiericide would make one of them clearly best and that that one would go from being worth nothing to being a high priced meta item.

Turns out, there's still too much supply for any of them to hold any value, and I'd used regionwide buy orders to get the largest number possible.

Oops.

Didn't lose much ISK (200m max) but by god I lost a lot of time dumping those things at below cost.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-12-06 23:06:52 UTC
anyone want to buy some capital cargo rigs?
Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#7 - 2015-12-06 23:50:00 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
There's things you lose on because you base your decision on solid reasoning and there's an unforeseeable change that shafts you. (I got done on the exploration changes but got out fast enough to not get hammered)

Then there's things you lose on because you base your purchase decision on faulty reasoning.

I got done a bit buying up lots and lots and lots and lots of meta afterburners and microwarpdrives, thinking that the tiericide would make one of them clearly best and that that one would go from being worth nothing to being a high priced meta item.

Turns out, there's still too much supply for any of them to hold any value, and I'd used regionwide buy orders to get the largest number possible.

Oops.

Didn't lose much ISK (200m max) but by god I lost a lot of time dumping those things at below cost.

You gambled on the wrong horse, even after my well written guide, basically spoon fed it!

my tiericde container has 3xvalue so far.

worst investment: i bought 2 characters with very high standings (to sell highsec standings pos corps) the nerf to standings requirement for pos, killed those 2 alts.

1 is still valuable, other is p much useless without lots more isk to fix.

@JerryTPepridge

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#8 - 2015-12-07 00:11:31 UTC
5k expanded cargoholds right before CCP dropped the indy changes.

Gnosis.....yeah, the less said about those, the better.

I hear there are still people with thousands of procurers as well.
Elizabeth Norn
Nornir Research
Nornir Empire
#9 - 2015-12-07 02:14:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Elizabeth Norn
Oh yeah SKINs too, kinda. During peak hype after the Devblog my can of SKINs that I paid about 30-40b for was worth over 300b on Jita sell orders. I managed to sell several dozen of them at what are now crazy prices, but I wasn't too bothered about getting rid of them too quickly as they were still well below where I thought the new prices would be. The patch hit and it's all a bit fuzzy, but I know prices just kept dropping. I've added a fair few to my can since then and its estimated price is now 150b. I guess I'll check it again next year Bear.
HeXxploiT
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-12-07 04:38:07 UTC
Jerry T Pepridge wrote:

OT but to date my Tiericide return has been 1000%+
Jerry T Pepridge
Meta Game Analysis and Investment INC.
#11 - 2015-12-07 04:55:34 UTC
HeXxploiT wrote:
Jerry T Pepridge wrote:

OT but to date my Tiericide return has been 1000%+

nice - very nice, for such small risk Cool

@JerryTPepridge

Solecist Project
#12 - 2015-12-07 15:28:36 UTC
I once bought almost all catalysts in the forge during burn jita ...
... thinking how smart and brilliant the idea was.

Taught me a valueable lesson about brilliant ideas and being stoned.

I still have them, I think...

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Dethmourne Silvermane
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-12-07 17:11:08 UTC
I bought every single T1 industrial in a region a few years ago. I think I ended up roughly breaking even on the manipulation - sold a few really expensive iterons, but it's too hard to hold an entire ship group down for long with the kind of bankroll I had at the time.

Interested Party (TM)

Hel O'Ween
Men On A Mission
#14 - 2015-12-07 17:56:06 UTC
I had the tendency to invest in every major scam going at that time:

- EVEBank
- Titans4You
- cosmoray

Big smile

EVEWalletAware - an offline wallet manager.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#15 - 2015-12-07 20:18:38 UTC
I own a silly large number of Geckos, most purchased back when I considered them expensive at ~14m each.

I also own a large number of Gnosis. At least it is my favourite ship to spin.
voetius
Grundrisse
#16 - 2015-12-07 21:22:19 UTC

I have a couple of hundred Firetails in Jita that I'm still waiting on the market to turn.

Actual losses though, a few here and there, the most notable were losing a couple hundred mill on Gnosis where I really was mistaken on their value. And back when CCP changed the mineral content of BS I rode the wave but forgot to get off at the top and lost 200 mil on Maels that I had in Heim., but I still made out ok overall.

As Sabriz said above you can make mistakes because of unforeseen patches/changes which are just the way it goes or from bad judgement, but then you learn something.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#17 - 2015-12-07 22:32:40 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:

Yeah that's not a good idea. Ganker logistics is actually quite difficult to disrupt with buyouts.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#18 - 2015-12-07 23:37:01 UTC
Dethmourne Silvermane wrote:
I bought every single T1 industrial in a region a few years ago. I think I ended up roughly breaking even on the manipulation - sold a few really expensive iterons, but it's too hard to hold an entire ship group down for long with the kind of bankroll I had at the time.

I did that with T1 frigates, fortunately it was when they were cheap :p Had this great idea "Oh, if I buy them all up and then scatter them around I will get muchly isk"
Solecist Project
#19 - 2015-12-09 09:19:32 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:

Yeah that's not a good idea. Ganker logistics is actually quite difficult to disrupt with buyouts.

That wasn't my intention.
I forgot what my intention was, but I didn't want to disrupt anything.

Maybe I wanted to put them back up at a higher price.
But I never did.

Now I'll check if I still have them ... ^_^

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Paul Pohl
blue media poetry
#20 - 2015-12-11 23:32:23 UTC
My optimism about the new missile disruptor is not looking great
12Next page