These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

What do you do that isn't necessarily optimal?

Author
Deriah Book
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-01-08 05:48:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Deriah Book
I spend far too much of my Eve time moving my chat window to the lower left corner of my screen.

I do my PI religiously every morning on 3 toons.

Sometimes I realize I've been D-scanning every 5 seconds for the last half hour.

I spend far too much 'in space' time AFK whilst preparing snacks.
Cindy Marco
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2012-01-08 05:57:27 UTC
Mal Mandrake wrote:
Tippia wrote:
I salvage my missions.

I make more money from the salvage than I do from the mission itself.

Its not about money per mission, but money over time.

If your looting and salvaging you are spending much more time per mission then someone who isn't. Then you still have to sort, refine, move, and sell those items. During that time your missing out on the bounties and LP you could have earned instead.

You'll make more if you only loot/salvage when its worthwhile. Which for most missions means one can, or none at all.

non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#23 - 2012-01-08 06:05:24 UTC
Reading the EVE fourms is the only thing I do that isn't necessarily optimal. I could be doing plenty of other optimal things but instead here I am. Don't get me started on all the unoptimal(?) posts that I make. I don't get much back from all the typing I do. Sometimes I think that my keystrokes could be better spent somewhere else.
Sad
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-01-08 06:14:13 UTC
I can flip occasionally and if someone bites i normally just lecture them if they are a noob and what would happen if an evil person could them like this. Then i let them go.

This is shameful in so many ways. Who the **** do i think i am.

This is not optimal

Caught another noob in lowsec. Same lecture shite. let him go and we ran a few anomolies together

Im doing it wrong and my optimal is non existant

I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Rakshasa Taisab
Sane Industries Inc.
#25 - 2012-01-08 06:14:17 UTC
I spin my **** in Jita 4-4 lazily watching the market waiting for stuff to rise in price.

Could have been running Incursions or something.

Nyan

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#26 - 2012-01-08 06:17:53 UTC
Cindy Marco wrote:
Mal Mandrake wrote:
Tippia wrote:
I salvage my missions.

Its not about money per mission, but money over time.

If your looting and salvaging you are spending much more time per mission then someone who isn't. Then you still have to sort, refine, move, and sell those items. During that time your missing out on the bounties and LP you could have earned instead.

You'll make more if you only loot/salvage when its worthwhile. Which for most missions means one can, or none at all.

To expand on this a bit; if you're only going to do one or two missions and call it a night then salvage away, it's worthwhile. However, if you're looking to get a bunch of them done then yea salvaging is no longer "optimal".

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

met worst
Doomheim
#27 - 2012-01-08 06:23:42 UTC
I recently just put up another medium tower for BPO research instead of upgrading my existing medium to a large. Couldn't be bothered to tell the honest truth Straight
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2012-01-08 07:12:03 UTC
I no longer use invention calculator/ spreadsheets. I just build that stuff and let it hit the markets for about slightly below the average sell price. I might be losing money, but just do not care anymore.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#29 - 2012-01-08 07:50:17 UTC
I don't use decryptors.

By the way, since we're already talking, do you want to buy a rifter? I've got the cheapest rifters in Metropolis. If you can find a cheaper rifter, buy it!

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#30 - 2012-01-08 08:00:23 UTC
paying to play a terrible video game

or

playing a terrible video game

not really sure which one is worse... Blink
Skorpynekomimi
#31 - 2012-01-08 08:14:12 UTC
I salvage my missions, more because I like it than because of ISK.
I let my PI go uncollected and unstarted.
I don't use keyboard shortcuts.
I mine my own minerals and ice for manufacturing.
I build more of what I like to than what sells.
I treat EVE as a game rather than a job, because I need to unwind from my real job.
I collect BPOs I'm not necessarily going to USE, just for the sake of having an asset that keeps it's value.
I shun market games because of the attention required and because I don't like competition.

Economic PVP

Border Queen Hadijja
Doomheim
#32 - 2012-01-08 08:47:58 UTC
I have a huge fetish for standings and frequently miss out on superior incursion fleets to run an epic arc or a few missions to even out my faction standing.

I obsess over market orders for hours, rather than pay a 1% markup and get back to whatever I was doing that would make up my loss in minutes.
J Kunjeh
#33 - 2012-01-08 09:21:14 UTC
I play Eve.

"The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5) 

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#34 - 2012-01-08 09:37:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Large Collidable Object
I just made another alt account whilst it's one of those very rare times in the year where there's no 'super-special' offer providing you with game time, ships and learning boosters on top of the regular buddy invite.

edit - and I refuse to fly some very effective ships because I hate their overabundance - so no drakes, canes, tengus, dramiels (at least pre-nerf) for me.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2012-01-08 09:51:57 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
I fly solo

That and I refuse to fit certain types of ships. I wont fly kiting frigs, for example. So hookbills and slicers are not even an option for me. Also I wont use ecm drones.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#36 - 2012-01-08 11:12:38 UTC
I too used to salvage missions to collect a whole industrial of stuff and go sell it in Jita. Also would mine pyroxeres each now and then, rat in lowsec with a SB, tune up my avatars each month or so, and spend a lot of time in the forums.

Anyway the most wasteful thing I ever did in EVE was to pay 6 months of this account in advance (used to be in a 3 month plan) right after Hilmar's apology and CCP apparently sending to hell my expectations; but then i couldn't be 100% sure untll the release of winter expansion, and once Crucible confimed my concerns, it was too late to regret.

Talk of a way to waste 80+ euros with the most expensive forum browsing ever... What?
Treks Shadow
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2012-01-08 12:01:23 UTC
my pvp orbit
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#38 - 2012-01-08 20:50:10 UTC
Bischopt wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:
I fly solo

That and I refuse to fit certain types of ships. I wont fly kiting frigs, for example. So hookbills and slicers are not even an option for me. Also I wont use ecm drones.

*gasp*

Bishopt!! You're in Minnie militia fer chrissakes!!!
Syphon Lodian
Fabled Enterprises
#39 - 2012-01-08 20:58:42 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Mal Mandrake wrote:
Tippia wrote:
I salvage my missions.

That just means you're doing the missions slowly.

The reason I'm doing it is a simple classic case of sunk-cost fallacy: I have this large selection of perfect rig BPOs, and it just seems wasteful to leave material behind on the field and not put those blueprints to use, never mind that I would make more ISK if I skipped those steps. Oops

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Might as well do it yourself, eh.

Plus it's just not the same if you buy mats off the market. "Free Minerals" and all that..
Trainwreck McGee
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-01-08 21:12:03 UTC
i level 4 in an ishtar so i can do my laundry, clean my room, watch a movie, make dinner, vacuum and fix stuff around the house while missioning. I could do it much faster in my maxed maelstrom but i like the afk feel of the ishtar.

CCP Trainwreck - Weekend Custodial Engineer / CCP Necrogoats foot stool

Previous page123Next page