These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

My EVE

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[UPDATE 07/04] NEW VIDEO ADDED - EVEisEASY.com; a website dedicated to instructional pvp videos!

First post
Author
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#21 - 2012-01-08 01:31:31 UTC
Teach how to stop training gallente ships and start training minmitar, also teach me how to make pvp threads stop appearing in general discussion.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2012-01-08 01:45:20 UTC
Teach me how to give billions of isk to Mintchip and receive nothing in return.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Pinaculus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-01-08 01:47:23 UTC
Finding fights. After an hour or two of roaming around and finding nothing you can't help but wonder if you're doing something drastically wrong.

And finding a mega-blob after 2 minutes gives the same feeling. But that's just obviously bad luck.

I know sometimes it's difficult to realize just how much you spend on incidental things each month or year, but seriously, EVE is very cheap entertainment compared to most things... If you are a smoker, smoke one less pack a week and pay for EVE, with money left over to pick up a cheap bundle of flowers for the EVE widow upstairs.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#24 - 2012-01-08 01:49:15 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:

1. In any chat window, type in Tippia, highlight and auto-link it to a character (select the topmost in the list).
2. Right-click the link and choose “give money” — enter a number in the billions (after making sure you have it available in your wallet)
3. If you don't hear from Mintchip, you will know it has worked.
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#25 - 2012-01-08 01:58:11 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:

1. In any chat window, type in Tippia, highlight and auto-link it to a character (select the topmost in the list).
2. Right-click the link and choose “give money” — enter a number in the billions (after making sure you have it available in your wallet)

Confirming this works.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

Pyrosomniac
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2012-01-08 02:00:43 UTC
Advice I'd like?

I guess I'd want 4 key topics, very important ones too.

1 ) Controlling your nerves. Seriously, I get the shakes from adrenaline pretty badly. My caffeine addiction doesn't help. A guide to keeping calm would be nice.

2 ) Good pvp practices, such as engagement protocols that will help tip things in your favour, even if only psychologically (tying back to number 1).

3 ) A leaders point of view. I'm considering training into Leadership, as fleet maneuvers, fleet management, and efficiency have started to interest me. I also wouldn't mind covering, again, the psychological aspects of leadership, from a fleets perspective. After all, nobody wants to die, even if it's inevitable, so making that transition from ship to pod to station instantly should never feel bad if the commander can smooth things out right?

4 ) Recovery of assets. Of course, don't fly what you can't afford to lose, but lose one too many ships and suddenly things can look very bad. A guide for making small sums of ISK rapidly (enough to dare going into null, to make more), to replace failed attempts and mend broken ego's and wallets because that EFT fit totally shouldn't have died that fast.

I'd guess that's it.

TL;DR: Write Sun Tzu's "The Art of War".
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#27 - 2012-01-08 02:02:14 UTC
Ladie Harlot wrote:

Don't stop believing.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Elessa Enaka
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-01-08 02:11:10 UTC
Garmon wrote:
I'd like to have some feedback on what they'd like to learn, and if you dont pvp, why exactly is that? Could I help?

How do you combat blobs (fleet of lets say 7 guys but about 20-30 ships) of multiboxing several year vets?

Devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been Eve is a great game if you can get past all of the asshats....

okst666
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-01-08 02:21:08 UTC  |  Edited by: okst666
Ok I have a question.

Lets pretend you have a highsec war.
There are a few wartargets caved in a station. Lets say 2.

Yourself have a fleet up of maybe 5 people and camp that said station.

Every once in a while, one of the WTs undocks and we start shooting and the coward docks up again.
how to prevent this?

Second hypothetical question....lets say that above fleet does not exist and you are on your own or maybe just with a friend...and a wt undocks, because it feels supeior...and then the unbelievable happens...it shoots back und you fight it for the sake of actually playing the game....and just when the Wartarget goes into armor, NINE neutral Battleships turn red in overview and start to remoterep. How do you fight this?

[X] < Nail here for new monitor

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#30 - 2012-01-08 02:25:21 UTC
One thing I would like to "learn" is how to decide, on the fly, whether to try to out track the target close up or try to kite. Because I've found doing the wrong one = almost assured death.

I use pulse, so either can be done...
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#31 - 2012-01-08 02:30:41 UTC
My only advice to you is helping PROMOTE the underused FACTION WARFARE.

It's the best way to get people into pvp. Explain to them how cheap t1 hulls will help them understand the pvp mechanic and that training right away to a battleship when you are starting and losing it and then blaming CCP is the wrong way to do it.

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#32 - 2012-01-08 04:36:23 UTC
Bumped for important content.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Apollo Gabriel
Kill'em all. Let Bob sort'em out.
Ushra'Khan
#33 - 2012-01-08 05:14:36 UTC
I think people want to know WHY and WHERE to go to low sec. I get the feeling that people feel it is too much trouble, so demystify it.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
seany1212
M Y S T
#34 - 2012-01-08 11:38:04 UTC
Pyrosomniac wrote:

1 ) Controlling your nerves. Seriously, I get the shakes from adrenaline pretty badly. My caffeine addiction doesn't help. A guide to keeping calm would be nice.

This just comes with more and more pvp, first time I pvp'd was my Merlin against a Ritter at a planet in otou, nearly blacked out lol, but somehow I won with both of us in structure. Get a load of t1 frigates/destroyers/cruisers and go roaming lowsec, try and get one or two to engage you on gate, that way you start with gate gun advantage. Ruptures I've found are an excellent little damage dealer and put up somewhat of a good tank.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#35 - 2012-01-08 12:21:31 UTC
Manual piloting. All those fancy maneuvers that keep you alive and your opponent down. I don't have too many pvp experiences, but what I have learned is that clicking "orbit at X" is most likely to kill you in pvp against skilled pilots.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Professor Alphane
Les Corsaires Diable
#36 - 2012-01-08 12:48:48 UTC
Famble wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Ladie Harlot wrote:

Confirming this works.

Worked for me, in fact Mintchip sent me a personal mail telling me how she liked the cut of my jib and invited me to join her corp.

All I need to do now is purchase several Billions worth of useless clothes from her (got to look good and reprezent you know) and pay an anti spying deposit ( A few more bil but then It'll be worth it). Then I'm in, me a Mintchipian , OMG I'm so excited, me ma would be so proud of me Big smile

[center]YOU MUST THINK FIRST....[/center] [center]"I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars.." - Marillion [/center] [center]The wise man watches the rise and fall of fools from afar[/center]

Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-01-08 13:16:16 UTC
1) How to effectively split up a blob when outnumbered.
2) Cheap, yet effective ships/setups.
3) Synergy between gangmembers.
Liam Mirren
#38 - 2012-01-08 13:33:04 UTC
If anything; How falloff affects damage and how you can make use of this (range ammo, kiting etc) to take out ships that on paper have more dps/tank than you. Insights like that are a good way of explaining to newcomers how simple EFT stats don't necessarily mean anything, and realising that there's more to PVP than basic EHP and dps numbers is probably the best way to make them realise they can influence a fight and actively decide the outcome rather than it being "bad luck".

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#39 - 2012-01-08 13:48:26 UTC
The main issue I have is PvP is draining, leaving me feeling horrid. Not something I want from a game. How do I prevent that from happening, other than total avoidance of PvP? The best explanation I have for why this happens is I do not get The Rush.

The Rush is a good felling one gets with and after a burst of adrenaline associated with an exciting experience, like PvP combat. Not everyone gets The Rush. Some get no pleasure from adrenaline, and some actually feel bad or sick from it. According to Dr. Drew Pinsky, the difference between these people is genetic. You are born to get The Rush, or you are not. The result is some players will not enjoy PvP and actively seek to avoid it. After all this is a game, people will tend to avoid game activities that make them sick.

But I also get the feeling that I would enjoy it if it was not for the above effect. What can I do to actually enjoy PvP?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#40 - 2012-01-08 14:17:27 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
The main issue I have is PvP is draining, leaving me feeling horrid. Not something I want from a game. How do I prevent that from happening, other than total avoidance of PvP? The best explanation I have for why this happens is I do not get The Rush.

The Rush is a good felling one gets with and after a burst of adrenaline associated with an exciting experience, like PvP combat. Not everyone gets The Rush. Some get no pleasure from adrenaline, and some actually feel bad or sick from it. According to Dr. Drew Pinsky, the difference between these people is genetic. You are born to get The Rush, or you are not. The result is some players will not enjoy PvP and actively seek to avoid it. After all this is a game, people will tend to avoid game activities that make them sick.

But I also get the feeling that I would enjoy it if it was not for the above effect. What can I do to actually enjoy PvP?

You've tried solo pvp right?
You could be like me. I dont get the rush from fleet engagements.
Usually I get the the rush when I'm the underdog. When I'm attacking a brutix in a crusader or three rifters in a taranis.

Also, my corp once war decced eve uni. We usually had about 5 people in their home system and they were coming out of their stations in 30-50 man blobs with lots and lots of ecm. We used fast ships (interceptors, vagas etc.) to dance around the blob and pick off people who got too far from the main fleet.
I wouldnt say I got the rush from that like I do from solo pvp but it was definitely fun.

As for controlling your nerves... I think you just need to get used to it.
If your nerves arent preventing you from fighting properly it's just a good thing. I like having shaky hands when I'm doing something crazy. Just means the game is exciting.