These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE 3D Printed Ship Models. Anyone interested?

Author
Gods Prophet
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-11-24 17:46:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Gods Prophet
Seriously, who wouldn't want them.

So with the advent of 3D printing bringing all kinds of new possibilities to the world of merchandise, commerce, medicine and just about anything else wouldn't it be nice if CCP got into this as an early adopter. Instead of jumping thru hoops to find a manufacturer and then trying to decide which ship models to produce how about this novel idea.

Just make ALL of the ships in EVE available as 3D models (which they already have) and sell them on a site such as http://www.shapeways.com/ where players can then simply purchase the ships they want. When you purchase the ship from shapeways they just 3D print it and mail it to you. Done. No up front cost to CCP (well, none to speak of) and no worrying about which models will sell and maybe sitting on unsold inventory. Money in CCP's pockets and a Paladin on my desk. Sweet.

But think of all the things you could do. They could actually make all the different subsystems of T3 Cruiser and you could buy them individually and assemble your T3 as you see fit. Ships could be ordered in different shipskins, or different sizes for varying prices. Or what about CCP making 3D models of your character available to order? I wouldn't mind a little Gods Prophet on my desk, constantly judging me and disapproving of every mistake made in PVP. Individual modules and market items could be available for lulz as well. The possibilities are endless. And all CCP needs to do is make 3D model files available (which again, they already have or could have with little to no effort).

So what do you think, should CCP look into this?

edit: for a quick video on 3D printing for the unfamiliar... http://video.pbs.org/video/2339671486/
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2015-11-24 19:56:48 UTC
Fyi, heaps of them are actually out already in printer friendly formats, you just need a little patience to find them.

Gods Prophet
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2015-11-24 19:59:50 UTC
Nice, I wasn't aware of that. But it would be smart for CCP to capitalize on this with 'official' models and pricing. Definitely a market opportunity there.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#4 - 2015-11-24 20:05:06 UTC
You haven't seen the floating nyx have you..
Gods Prophet
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-11-24 20:06:59 UTC
Yup, I remember that from a while back. Very cool. I was thinking these printed models might be a bit more mass market. :)
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2015-11-25 05:08:22 UTC
Like the idea, just wondering if it would be affordable ...........................

DMC
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#7 - 2015-11-25 05:20:59 UTC
Would like to own mini dread with fully functional turrets (movement ) so i can change gun position from time to time,LED lighting optional.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard