These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

EVE Online = Dungeons and Dragons 2.0

Author
DrunkenNinja
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-01-07 09:41:56 UTC
Think about it.
  • RNG: Check
  • Emphasis on RP: Check
  • Gear/stats > player skill: Check
  • Content is player generated: Check

• I know this may come as a shock, but it's a conspiracy.
    CCP are actually the biggest dungeon masters ever. Many people who play EVE came straight from D&D.
    EVE is not an action game—it is not a strategy game... it is primarily a role playing game.
    DeMichael Crimson
    Republic University
    Minmatar Republic
    #2 - 2012-01-07 09:46:08 UTC
    Well, CCP does have a tendency to call NPC sites 'Dungeons'.
    Tore Vest
    #3 - 2012-01-07 09:46:34 UTC
    CCP is working hard now...
    To be more like WoW Bear

No troll.

Jaroslav Unwanted
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #4 - 2012-01-07 10:00:58 UTC
    activate group of 1400mm guns
    *rolls D6
    missed
    *rolls D6
    hit
    rolls D12
    perfect strike
    *rolls D6
    hits
    *rolls D12
    hardly scratch it

***** and so on.
    Dr Karsun
    Coffee Lovers Brewing Club
    #5 - 2012-01-07 10:14:51 UTC
    I don't want to live in this galaxy any more?

Nah I'll stay and feed your markets a bit longer.

"Have you had your morning coffee?" -> the Coffee Lovers Brewing Club is recruiting! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=363976#post363976

Winters Chill
    Unitas Incorporated
    #6 - 2012-01-07 10:41:20 UTC
    DrunkenNinja wrote:

Think about it....

I have and you offer absolutely no evidence to support your arguments other than some poorly thought out bullet points.

DrunkenNinja wrote:

• Gear/stats > player skill: Check

• I don't believe this is entirely true, yes some items give you a clear edge. But there is a reason some players call other players "flying pinyatas".

Eve is an MMORPG. Like all MMORPG's it is partially modelled on it is pen and paper cousins. If this bothers you feel free to send me your stuff as it will go towards my super leet gear (+5 lasers) and my Tower Of Aknobash spell(tm).
    rodyas
    Tie Fighters Inc
    #7 - 2012-01-07 11:12:46 UTC
    The RNG for your thread has rolled a fail for you. Go ahead and blame your ****** post on RNG.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

RubyPorto
    RubysRhymes
    #8 - 2012-01-07 11:38:52 UTC
    DrunkenNinja wrote:

• Emphasis on RP: Check.

• Where does D&D have Research Points?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Nex apparatu5
    Blackwood Co.
    #9 - 2012-01-07 11:50:42 UTC
    DrunkenNinja wrote:

... it is primarily a role playing game.

So you're saying that Eve is... a multiplayer online role playing game? Maybe even a massive one?

Wait a second.

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

MMORPG

OH ****, WE'RE PLAYING AN MMO, STOP THE ******* PRESSES.

Hainnz
    Imperial Academy
    Amarr Empire
    #10 - 2012-01-07 12:19:45 UTC
    EVE is a harsh mistress? Compared to the way my friends and I played AD&D back when we were sadistic little pre-teen pukes in the late 70s and early 80s, EVE is a coddling, affectionate wet-nurse. :)
    Ghoest
    #11 - 2012-01-07 12:21:22 UTC
    I like D@D
    I play DDO
    I play EVE

The OP is a clueless noob.

Wherever You Went - Here You Are

RubyPorto
    RubysRhymes
    #12 - 2012-01-07 12:22:47 UTC
    Hainnz wrote:
    EVE is a harsh mistress? Compared to the way my friends and I played AD&D back when we were sadistic little pre-teen pukes in the late 70s and early 80s, EVE is a coddling, affectionate wet-nurse. :)

Tomb of Horrors.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Mars Theran
    Foreign Interloper
    #13 - 2012-01-07 12:27:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
    RubyPorto wrote:
    DrunkenNinja wrote:

• Emphasis on RP: Check.

• Where does D&D have Research Points?

2nd Edition Skills and Options. Not exactly the same thing; but close enough.

I really don't see the relation to D&D however. I haven't played in ~12 years, since they scrapped the above in favor of 3rd edition; but I don't recall it being anything like this. Oh.. wait.. there was that backstabbing **** I had to play with.

Guy had a character that was Tiefling, (half-demon for all intents and purposes), and an Assassin/Thief; while I played a more respectable Solamnic Knight of sorts, turned Fighter/many multi-classes. We were all stuck in the Abyss, somewhere around the 66th layer, and trying to find our way back out of a rather twisted version of the Demonweb pits, after somehow getting transported there from Krynn.

Don't know if any of you have any familiarity, but every layer and domain of the Abyss is different; with warped and twisted deviations of what you might find in the real world. Nothing is really what it seems at face value, and with the GM we had; well, it was a lot worse than usual.

Long story short, we couldn't really die, as we just respawned back in a salt mine somewhere as slaves with nothing but rags and a will to get out of there. Assassin guy was a pain in the neck as he usually was about as trustworthy as the plane itself, and in at least one game I missed; the GM allowed him to assassinate my character.

Without surprise, that was the game in which they all escaped, and I never did end up getting out until much later. I solo palyed after that for awhile and eventually got out; but not without some serious issues with my characters actual condition. Never was sure after that, whether he was actually dead or alive.

He ended up rebuilding Krynn as a quasi-diety after my GM let loose the forces of the Abyss on it and wiped out all semblance of life; leaving it a lava strewn wasteland, with no more than mineral value and base elements to work with. That was some time, (Multiple Plane hops, more than a few worlds-some unknown), and many travels later of course.

I actually came to like the Salt mines and the idea of my character peaceably slaving away there. Better than playing with those guys again. It was about 2 years before I picked up where I'd left off that day, and took that character through the rest of his journeys.

Funny I remember that so well.

EVE is a little more static I think, and not nearly as deep as all that. Plus, there's SP, and thankfully no 3rd edition
    zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub

DrunkenNinja
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #14 - 2012-01-07 12:50:33 UTC
    You guys are missing the point. Games like Starcraft are the antithesis of games like EVE and WoW (I used D&D as a hilarious example).
    This is why EVE isn't that fun imo.
    Jagga Spikes
    Spikes Chop Shop
    #15 - 2012-01-07 15:07:51 UTC
    DrunkenNinja wrote:
    You guys are missing the point. Games like Starcraft are the antithesis of games like EVE and WoW (I used D&D as a hilarious example).
    This is why EVE isn't that fun imo.

what are you some kind of a savior? let us have our badwrongfun.
    Logan LaMort
    Screaming Hayabusa
    #16 - 2012-01-07 15:15:05 UTC
    Well EVE was initially based on Ultima Online (Which in turn is based on D&D) and Elite... so yeah, just like pretty much every RPG (Including EVE) out there, the routes go all the way back to D&D in some instances.
    Tippia
    Sunshine and Lollipops
    #17 - 2012-01-07 15:23:11 UTC
    Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
    activate group of 1400mm guns
    *rolls D6
    missed
    *rolls D6
    hit
    rolls D12
    perfect strike
    *rolls D6
    hits
    *rolls D12
    hardly scratch it
    That's now how it works, silly. It's much simpler than that. P
    MadMuppet
    Critical Mass Inc
    #18 - 2012-01-07 15:36:24 UTC
    "Are the drones Ogres? I have a +9 dagger against Ogres! Where's the Mountain Dew? Am I getting drunk yet?"

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Rico Minali
    Sons Of 0din
    Commonwealth Vanguard
    #19 - 2012-01-07 15:42:23 UTC
    I always fit an Elven Cloak to my stealth bomber, what do you use?

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Famble
    Three's a Crowd
    #20 - 2012-01-07 15:52:43 UTC
    Your arguments are poorly made and you are clearly projecting your personal feelings on to all of us.

I'm fairly certain d&d's subscriber base barely exceeded thirteen people. Apparently you were one of them. Gear is important in all games of this nature to be sure but never have I played an mmo that actual player skill factors in such noticeable way.

Long story short, no.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

123Next pageLast page