These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

High, Holy, Over-inflated Latin

First post
Author
Edaine Numenor
Numenor Benevolent Holdings
#1 - 2011-09-14 13:50:25 UTC
My Response to all the high, holy and over-inflated Latin used on these forums.

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis

In other words, using Latin doesn't make your argument right in spite of the sound.

For those who may disagree:

inducula meam manducetis

(please take this as intended, with a sense of humor and not a personal insult as is too often the case here)

Liberating slaves wherever, whenever, and however I can.

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2011-09-14 14:04:33 UTC
Only if you/the Stons stop using "ancient Earth literature." There isn't any Earth literature. (Also please stop using Bible quotes as Amarr Scripture. The two are truly nothing alike.)

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Edaine Numenor
Numenor Benevolent Holdings
#3 - 2011-09-14 14:22:30 UTC
Ilsenae Alexandros wrote:
Only if you/the Stons stop using "ancient Earth literature." There isn't any Earth literature. (Also please stop using Bible quotes as Amarr Scripture. The two are truly nothing alike.)

Ms. Alexandros, have an ice-cream, I'm buying.

Liberating slaves wherever, whenever, and however I can.

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2011-09-14 14:26:22 UTC
Ice cream! Yay! I'll have green tea flavored, please.

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Ston Momaki
Disciples of Ston
#5 - 2011-09-14 14:52:59 UTC
A disclaimer is in order.

Edaine is not actually a disciple and sometimes he will say things not quite in the tone and order of Disciple etiquette. He gets this way when he's bored. Sometimes this is done just to get under my skin, but we have learned to take each other with a grain of salt. And Edaine, while we do disagree from time to time, I have no intention of eating your undergarment.

P.S.
Ice-cream gives me gas

The Disciples of Ston bid you peace

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2011-09-14 14:57:47 UTC
Ston Momaki wrote:
Ice-cream gives me gas


You poor, poor soul.

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Conventia Underking
Underking Family
Khimi Harar
#7 - 2011-09-14 16:44:59 UTC
It would seem for the best to stick to languages we can all claim to understand.

For God; Salvation is Imperative, but not at the cost of our Humanity!

The Vitoc Problem - Conventia Underking

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-09-14 19:22:15 UTC
Like ice cream!

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Malcolm Khross
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-09-14 19:33:07 UTC
I get the picture, Senae!

....I'll get the ice cream tonight, honestly.

~Malcolm Khross

Jason Galente
Hole Punchers
I Could Do Better
#10 - 2011-09-14 20:18:30 UTC
Another ice cream night? Of course, any discussion on ice cream wouldn't be complete without Valerie Valate.

Only the liberty of the individual assures the prosperity of the whole. And this foundation must be defended.

At any cost

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#11 - 2011-09-14 21:33:33 UTC
¿Que dijiste?

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Verone
Veto Corp
#12 - 2011-09-14 21:36:36 UTC

Over inflated what?

Verone CEO & Executor Veto Corp WWW.VETO-CORP.COM

Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#13 - 2011-09-15 06:42:02 UTC
I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!
I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!
I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream!

Auch andere Mütter haben schöne Töchter.

There is not just one language on this world. Open your mind. Many things said in a different language than thought fall flat through the translation. Some may work, many not. Especially sayings do not work. We live in a multicultural universe and to see a bit of it here and there is not a bad thing.

Many things I think and am able to think, many things I would like to express I can't. Especially most of the Sebiestor humor is lost through translation, so I don't. Because they don't work on galactic standard. To force the use of one language is the first step to impoverish the world of thoughts.

But if you use it, use it in a way that the stuff you write can be understood without it. Use it to enrich your language, not to build up barriers. That's my two cents (which is not much nowadays).

Romani ite domum.

There are parts of this world where it is something special to be able to speak a second language. In my part of the world it's special to speak more than three and you look like an idiot when you speak less than two. In other times it was normal for people to talk at least six languages fluently (if you had higher school education). Which makes us look bad today anyway. We're dumming down. And ignorant enough to ignore it.

Open your mind. Enrich thoughts. Use what you got.

FREEDOM, PUNK & AUTOCANNONS

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 - 2011-09-15 08:53:04 UTC
Moved from "Intergalactic Summit" so that the discussion may continue without breaking the IGS forum rules. Smile

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Zanziba'ar
Noir.
The Network.
#15 - 2011-09-15 09:00:03 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Moved from "Intergalactic Summit" so that the discussion may continue without breaking the IGS forum rules. Smile




thank god for that now i can speak OOC.... You wouldnt know what Latin is! its almost forgotten on earth in todays date so why would it be known in a place were earth is but a myth and we have no knowledge if it? people in New Eden do not know latin.. end of
  • Mulzvich "Zanziba'ar" Gorath
Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2011-09-16 13:05:47 UTC
NO BIBLE QUOTES

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Ilsenae Alexandros
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-09-16 13:06:27 UTC
I AM YELLING IN THE HOPES YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME

To know the face of God is to know madness.

Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-09-16 14:05:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jowen Datloran
Zanziba'ar wrote:
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Moved from "Intergalactic Summit" so that the discussion may continue without breaking the IGS forum rules. Smile




thank god for that now i can speak OOC.... You wouldnt know what Latin is! its almost forgotten on earth in todays date so why would it be known in a place were earth is but a myth and we have no knowledge if it? people in New Eden do not know latin.. end of


Except that the Amarr are direct descendants of the Unified Catholic Church; a group that is very likely to have revived Latin to the extreme making it no wonder why it has a place in "modern" Amarr society.

Though, that exact quotes from the Bible should have survived all these millenia is both streching imagination a bit too far and way out of place for the EVE setting. As per game policies, no direct Real World politics or religious stuff is allowed in EVE.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

Edaine Numenor
Numenor Benevolent Holdings
#19 - 2011-09-18 01:22:44 UTC
A problem that many capsuleers have is the inability to keep track of the last lie.

mendacem memorem esse oportet

Liberating slaves wherever, whenever, and however I can.

Alica Wildfire
Industry Network
#20 - 2011-09-18 08:22:26 UTC
Fact is the world of New Eden has a babel of languages. I don't think it's too smart to invent every language just because you have fear relaying on ancient but existing ones. Like Latin, ancient Greek, Maya, Babylonian or whatever comes up. The trick with using languages is that we as authors try to achieve something with it.

We try to put an effect on our story. And for this it is regardless if we begin to invent a new language for this or just use an existing. I wouldn't like to see anything like Klingon or Tolkins Elven language in a EVE related story because it really doesn't fit from the background. But to see an Amarr using Latin - whatever.

It does the effect, doesn't it? And we neither talk all ENGLISH here, do we? We talk something like galactic standard and for better understanding for everyone we use English for it. But English is for sure not the galactic language in the world of New Eden. As Latin will not be for the scriptures of Amarr.

But it does the job. And you can always overdo in details. So I'd just relax and watch them using Latin. It has the correct background, while I would like better to see them use Hebrew for it. That would be authentic, when I think of scriptures. But of cause most of us would not understand a word of it anymore which is not the case with Latin.

The English language has for someone with a different language background as his native tongue some nasty limiting features. A lot of the things that are going through my mind and that I'd like to express I can't do in English without it coming up sounding strange. I'm a native German speaker. And while my English is okay, I think, it's absolutely no compare to my skills in German. And I sometimes miss painfully to use the small differences in language that would fit so well to Alica and that aren't there in English - at least not for my skills in this language. I sometimes have the feeling to talk like a child in English - if I compare it to the way I would use the German language.

But this is a compromise I do. I prefer the IGS and these forums over the German ones any times. Even with the language barrier and the loss due to translation of thoughts I guess the English forum is -hm- more open I guess.

FREEDOM, PUNK & AUTOCANNONS

123Next page