These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Newish Player - Need Advice - Drake Skills

Author
Banesliver
#1 - 2012-01-06 10:28:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Banesliver
I am a few days away from fitting out a drake in mostly T1 to do level 2/3 missions. (Just started the game again)

And as I look at skills that I need to equip the drake in T2, people typically mention thats not enough.

What sort of skills should I get other than the ones REQUIRED for the equipment?
Damage Type Shield Compension, things like that.

After the Drake I plan on going for a Raven or Tengu.

Thanks.
Orlacc
#2 - 2012-01-06 16:38:42 UTC
Get ALL your missile skills up to at least 4. Missile Launcher Operation to 5 so you can train Guided Missile Precision, and of course Heavy to 5 for T2.

You don't really need T2 in anything for a passive Drake in level 3 missions.....

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2012-01-06 17:44:41 UTC
Ignore the shield compensation skills. They have no effect on active hardeners (when they're active).

Take a look at the certificates for the drake. They're not required, but they're an indication of what you might want.

Target painters. You want there, and the skills to use them.
Drones. You want there and the skills to use them.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Jaffari Sin
#4 - 2012-01-06 19:29:57 UTC
Banesliver wrote:
I am a few days away from fitting out a drake in mostly T1 to do level 2/3 missions. (Just started the game again)

And as I look at skills that I need to equip the drake in T2, people typically mention thats not enough.

What sort of skills should I get other than the ones REQUIRED for the equipment?
Damage Type Shield Compension, things like that.

After the Drake I plan on going for a Raven or Tengu.

Thanks.

I don't fly one, but if I wanted to, I would look at the info on the ship and then select the certs recommended. I would then train to get those certifications.

my 2 isk

JS
Fozzy Dorsai
Friendly but Irritating
#5 - 2012-01-06 20:04:35 UTC
This just shows there are many ways to fly a ship. I found maxing out missiles and drones helped immensely. Missiles are your gank for bigger targets but you really will depend on drones now and in the future (unless you go Tengu) to wipe up those pesky frigates (which with their scramblers and webbers end up causing more deaths than BSs).
I never trained target painters and was still very successful with my Drake in all L3 and L4 missions (albeit slow on L4).
On the other hand I love using shield amps (I'm a cap-stable carebear) to free up cap for other uses so all my compensation skills are at IV.
Part of your EVE journey is to experiment a bit and find the way you want to fly your craft. Yes, you'll waste some training time when you find you end up not liking the result. While there are many definitely wrong ways to do it, there are a lot of right ways to do it too.
Generally though, if it's worth training to III, it's worth training to IV, seldom to V (though there are quite a few noteable exceptions).
DaRiKavus
Mosh Pit
THE BESTICLES
#6 - 2012-01-07 14:41:34 UTC  |  Edited by: DaRiKavus
As mentioned previously I would look at getting missile skills up to IV minimum, focusing on RoF, Target Nav Prediction and Bombardment before moving onto to Tech II HM's.

Shield wise it is well worth getting Recharge rate and Capacity up to IV. Being able to fit Tech II active hardners and SPR II's will help your overall tank for carebearing.

Dont neglect the actual BC skill itself as 5% to shield resists per level is an overlooked skill by some players.

Drones have been mentioned and rightly so. Tech II light drones will save your ship when Scrammed.

Before moving to a Raven think about getting your suppourt skills to a good level also.

Active tanking a Raven is cap heavy so focus on capacitor/shield boosting skills first, then move onto to BS and Cruise skills.

Once your are in a Raven then you can refine your kills a little more and should have a good grasp on how to shield tank and missile spam your way through missions.......Then train for a Mach :)
DaRiKavus
Mosh Pit
THE BESTICLES
#7 - 2012-01-07 14:45:21 UTC  |  Edited by: DaRiKavus
Fozzy Dorsai wrote:
Generally though, if it's worth training to III, it's worth training to IV, seldom to V (though there are quite a few noteable exceptions).

Personally I would be very careful about making comments like this without mentioning which skills you "think" shouldnt be trained to V..

I can think of some that only really need training to level V when you are running out of skills to train. 95% of skills relevant to your Race and the Ship class you want to fly are very much worth taking the time to get to level V.

*Edited for spelling
Fozzy Dorsai
Friendly but Irritating
#8 - 2012-01-07 15:10:04 UTC
DaRiKavus wrote:
Fozzy Dorsai wrote:

Personally I would be very careful about making comments like this without mentioning which skills you "think" shouldnt be trained to V..

I can think of some that only really need training to level V when you are running out of skills to train. 95% of skills relevant to your Race and the Ship class you want to fly are very much worth taking the time to get to level V.

No argument there. I tried (obviously unsucessfully) to show this was a very generalized statement. What I indeed did not make clear is that I was assuming an initial training run. Given someone with few skills, I wanted them not to stop at III but to for the time being hold off on level V. I completely agree that a vast number of skills should be trained to V, eventually (tank/gank/support/ship, to name but a few).
DaRiKavus
Mosh Pit
THE BESTICLES
#9 - 2012-01-07 16:30:09 UTC
If that was your intention then your statement makes sense, misunderstanding on my part it seems. Blink

Flakey Foont
#10 - 2012-01-07 16:43:19 UTC
A Drake can handle level 3s with very low SP. It just gets better as you train.
river Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-01-08 00:22:27 UTC
Missile Launcher Operation IV
Rapid Launch IV
Warhead Upgrades III then to IV
Heavy Missiles to IV then to V asap
Target nav to IV
Other missile support for sig radius to IV
Missile Bombardment to III and IV
Missile Velocity one ti III and IV
Tactical shield manipulation IV
Shield Upgrades IV
Energy Grid Upgrades IV
Shield Operation IV
Shield Recharge one to IV
Battlecruiser IV
Engineering to IV
Electronics to IV then V for t2 heavy missiles
Drones V
Scout Drone Operation V
Drone Interfacing IV
Drone sharpshooting II or III
Drone Navigation III
Drone Durability III
Shield Rigging I
Jury Rigging III
Energy Operation IV
Energy Managment IV

All this and you can solo l4s easily ... for L2s you can litirly go in naked with launchers and do it...for L3s mostly t1 and t2 is fine. Dont do l4s without drones V and drone interfacing III though...
Hope this helped