These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

I love the new scanning

Author
Helushka Bodaway
Blizzard Perspective
#1 - 2015-11-04 02:14:53 UTC
With of all the hateful posts that I have seen I wanted to add that I personally LOVE the new scanning. All of it... The window, the map, sorting, all of it... it is easier to use and faster... I personally believe that people are freaking out because they didn't like the "beta" map, haven't given it a chance, and simply aren't use to it... I prefer the new/beta map and the scanning... PLEASE for the love of all that is good and holy on this planet don't cave to the loudest minority on the forums again... Tweak, maybe, but at least leave it in the direction it is going.

I think the only thing that really threw me off at first was the green lines under the sig. Once I was able to get past that I found zero issues with it at all...

Heck, I scanned down 2 entire wormholes in a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with it other than people don't like change...

There is no need to have a flame war/discussion on this. I simply wanted to let the dev's know my opinion on this matter as one that spends more time in game than on the forums like so many here... lol...

Fly safe!
Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-11-04 02:20:52 UTC
Yea its nice.

Definite improvement.

Anyone who says otherwise needs to buy a cerebral accelerator or something.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#3 - 2015-11-04 02:26:22 UTC
yup, love the changes.
Thierry Orlenard
Fancypants Inc
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2015-11-04 02:28:34 UTC
Yeah, I don't get the outcry, either. It's mainly an interface cleanup and aside from a few glitches that will hopefully be fixed in short order, it looks and works great. I had no trouble scanning down the first few signatures I tried. Nothing has changed much from how it was before, really, except that the buttons have been moved. And I guess the map thing, but I like that.

Oh and +1 for being able to assign probe scan refresh to a hotkey.

Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-11-04 02:54:31 UTC
I had a tinker P

+ 1

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Tali Sometaww
Spooks On Pings
SE7EN-SINS
#6 - 2015-11-04 03:04:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Tali Sometaww
It is still excessively buggy.

For a combat scanner like me, it is immense frustration seeing targets get away - because the scanner decided to at up.

I like the concept, but it is NOT FUNCTIONAL for a combat scanner.

It needs to be sent back to the drawing board ASAP and work out the bugs.

Edit: for those who want to go back to the old scanner which is MUCH more reliable

Go to general settings, and uncheck the "experimental map" on the bottom left.

Thank me later
PhantomMajor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-11-04 03:18:07 UTC
do you have to use the new star map or can you use the old one?
Azure Wyvern
Viziam
#8 - 2015-11-04 04:01:50 UTC
I like the idea of [the new map and the idea of new probe scanner... Although, it is far to un-responsive for my taste. I spent alot of time mousing over the probes just trying to get it to register in order to expand or refine the probe distance.
"AU" also found very unresponsive to dragging around by the main box instead of them annoying arrows ccp refuses to do away with.. id have to say... what was wrong with the old?

CARNAGE TO ALL

Helushka Bodaway
Blizzard Perspective
#9 - 2015-11-04 04:15:20 UTC
Azure Wyvern wrote:
I like the idea of [the new map and the idea of new probe scanner... Although, it is far to un-responsive for my taste. I spent alot of time mousing over the probes just trying to get it to register in order to expand or refine the probe distance.
"AU" also found very unresponsive to dragging around by the main box instead of them annoying arrows ccp refuses to do away with.. id have to say... what was wrong with the old?

Hmmm, yeah I don't get that at all... Mine is more responsive than the previous version was... I have no issues moving, resizing, or doing anything at all in regards to scanning.
Potamus Jenkins
eXceed Inc.
Plucky Adventurers
#10 - 2015-11-04 05:42:55 UTC
the "outcry" is that the few "glitches" you guys are experiencing make the scanning all but unusable for others.

scanning is tedious, they introduce something buggy that makes it even more tedious. you are going to hear complaints. the nature of bugs and glitches is that they can effect others more severely than you due to the many variables at play.

so everyone is glad to hear you arent having issues

maybe when the bugs are fixed people will actually be able to make a good assessment
Nysero Vaenthrak
Wolf Brothers INC
United Neopian Federation
#11 - 2015-11-04 06:16:02 UTC
I'm not sure I am qualified to judge the old version vs that of the new one, but I have to say, I like this new one. If the old one was better for some reason? I don't know, I can't say to that, all I can say is that I like this new system.
Otso Bakarti
Doomheim
#12 - 2015-11-04 08:08:46 UTC
+1 changes good

There just isn't anything that can be said!

Frank Pannon
DEFCON.
The Initiative.
#13 - 2015-11-04 08:17:34 UTC
I hated it when I first saw it, which was a kneejerk reaction.

But realized a bit later that it is indeed an improvement, just have to get used to it, and practice it.

So +1, keep up the good work CCP :)
Zakks
CSR NAVY
Citizen's Star Republic
#14 - 2015-11-04 08:21:55 UTC
I never scanned anything until today. Saw the hubbub and went and got some probes and launcher and trained up to skills lvl 2.
Within an hour I scanned my first wormhole down, and got the next one in about 15 minutes.

Not a stunning feat to be sure, but for an absolute scanning newbie that's pretty good! It seemed fairly intuitive once I figured out what the symbols and graphics were.

+1 going to spend some time on the process and skills.
Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#15 - 2015-11-04 10:09:19 UTC
It is funny how there is always at least one newbie telling everyone that some new buggy feature is fine because they managed to use it once or twice when players who use this stuff extensively are correctly pointing out the flaws so that CCP can correct it to the benefit of everyone.

The map is still in beta, and so naturally it is still full of flaws which is why CCP are asking for feedback at the moment. That being said I think it will be good once they sort it out.

Also your comment doesn't deserve its own thread, why don't you post this under the already existing thread.
Thierry Orlenard
Fancypants Inc
Pandemic Horde
#16 - 2015-11-04 10:38:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Thierry Orlenard
Potamus Jenkins wrote:
the "outcry" is that the few "glitches" you guys are experiencing make the scanning all but unusable for others.

scanning is tedious, they introduce something buggy that makes it even more tedious. you are going to hear complaints. the nature of bugs and glitches is that they can effect others more severely than you due to the many variables at play.

so everyone is glad to hear you arent having issues

maybe when the bugs are fixed people will actually be able to make a good assessment

No doubt some people had serious issues.

But most of the complaints I read were about fairly trivial annoyances that can be adjusted to if a person shows a tiny bit of resourcefulness. For instance, one bug that I hope will be dealt with quickly is the one where you can't see your probe boxes/handles to move them after first launching (or maybe at other times, idk -- I only had it happen to me right after launch). When faced with this situation, a player has two choices: freak out and declare the new interface broken and unusable; or try pressing keys to see if anything helps. Again, this is an example more than a specific instance, but I've been seeing a lot more of the former than the latter.

And to the people who say things like, "I'm a combat scanner and I can't use my probes anymore!" (not necessarily the person who posted in this thread) please just go into your interface options and turn off the new scanning UI. Also consider acclimating yourself to the new interface in a non-life-or-death situation rather than trying to use it in a combat situation and getting frustrated or even killed.
Siegfried Tahl
STCorp
#17 - 2015-11-04 10:59:01 UTC
Scanning already was pretty fast, now even faster which is good i think.

Looking back in the end of the 3hrs play session, realizing you spent the whole hour on moving probes around was kind of stupid (150 signatures scanned, 20-30 sec per signature).

Not that much time saved tho. But cant make it even more simple.

One thing I dont like is scan results window. There was a 'signature/anomaly' column, and i had results sorted by that column. Now theres no way to tell which is what when all signatures are scanned. You need to switch anoms off every time.
Ultim8Evil
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2015-11-04 11:33:41 UTC
PhantomMajor wrote:
do you have to use the new star map or can you use the old one?

There's an option in the setting menu to choose to try the new star map... or not.

Follow me on Twitter for literally no good reason @TheUltim8Evil

Commander Spurty
#19 - 2015-11-04 11:58:07 UTC
Moving probes about is an issue as CCP changed defaults to grabbing and moving them.

Once you relearn the new old way, you can be quite effective in a tiny map window

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Chuffer
Testicle of Doom
#20 - 2015-11-04 12:44:28 UTC
Its not perfect, but overall I like the changes and will continue to use the new version. People who don't like it can can use the previous version, at least until the new version has been perfected. So really there isn't that much to complain about.
12Next page