These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[December] Discovering a New Expedition Frigate

First post First post First post
Author
Jajuka Cirim
#201 - 2015-10-24 07:10:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jajuka Cirim
CCP Seagull used a different name than Discovery during the Vegas keynote. Did anyone catch it?

DrysonBennington wrote:
Are we going to see a Gas Expedition Frigate in the future as well? Kind of biased against the Gas People not developing one for them.

Not sure if sarcasm or you never looked at the traits on the current frigates? The Venture replaced the Ferox, after all.
Having huffed a lot of gas, I can't think of any meaningful way to improve them without risking an imbalance.
Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#202 - 2015-10-24 12:02:50 UTC
Jajuka Cirim wrote:
CCP Seagull used a different name than Discovery during the Vegas keynote. Did anyone catch it?

Endurance. The ship used in antarctica expedition.

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

CCP Terminus
C C P
C C P Alliance
#203 - 2015-10-27 13:52:04 UTC
Jajuka Cirim wrote:

The Discovery has had it's name changed to the Endurance. This is to avoid confusion with Project Discovery, the citizen science initiative coming to EVE soon.

@CCP_Terminus // Game Designer // Team Size Matters

Tabris Katz
The Forgotten Children
#204 - 2015-10-27 14:08:35 UTC
CCP Terminus wrote:
Jajuka Cirim wrote:

The Discovery has had it's name changed to the Endurance. This is to avoid confusion with Project Discovery, the citizen science initiative coming to EVE soon.

Endurance? Ew, I can't say I'm found of it and it doesn't fit the theme of mining frigates. Up till now we've had Venture and Prospect. Both these names call to mind images acquiring good (aka ores and gases) and have business feel to them. Endurance doesn't have either of these feels. Personally, I think Discovery is a much better name and fits the theme.
Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#205 - 2015-10-27 15:45:42 UTC
Endeavour fits it much better in my opinion, even continues with the space shuttle theme
Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#206 - 2015-10-27 17:14:14 UTC
CCP Terminus wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
Scuzzy Logic wrote:
As much as I appreciate getting more hulls for existing resource harvesting types, can we PLEASE at least know if you're ever going to work on a ship tailored for gas harvesting?

I'm getting very irritated that being able to fit more than 2 gas cloud harvesters is completely useless, making the description of the skill completely redundant (except at stopping me from making the 8-vacuum ship I've always dreamed of).

All I've ever wanted is a ship with 6 highs, 5 turret hardpoints and an ore bay, CCP...

the venture mines gas faster than any other ship. and they made it cheap by only needing 2 harvesters. lv 5 of the skill gives t2 harvesters which is worth the train just for that.

so there is already a gas mining ship, then its t2 version is a ice mining ship (although not better than some barges) and the other t2 is just a better ninja than the t1.

Or if you feel you need to be a little safer, the Prospect has the same gas harvesting bonuses.

thats what i was referring to by calling it a better ninja.
Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#207 - 2015-10-27 17:16:47 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
when you could lose sp there were edge cases where you could fly T2 ships with out lv5 of the t1
Which edge cases were those? For as long as I've played using T2 ships required level V on the associated T1 ship skill (JFs aside) so if you lost the level V you wouldn't be able to fly the ship.

maybe i was thinking of something else. oh well

also jump freighters don't require freighter at 5.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#208 - 2015-10-27 21:55:30 UTC
Lady Rift wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
when you could lose sp there were edge cases where you could fly T2 ships with out lv5 of the t1
Which edge cases were those? For as long as I've played using T2 ships required level V on the associated T1 ship skill (JFs aside) so if you lost the level V you wouldn't be able to fly the ship.
...also jump freighters don't require freighter at 5.
Hence "(JFs aside)"
Jajuka Cirim
#209 - 2015-10-28 04:16:09 UTC
Tabris Katz wrote:
Endurance? Ew, I can't say I'm found of it and it doesn't fit the theme of mining frigates. Up till now we've had Venture and Prospect. Both these names call to mind images acquiring good (aka ores and gases) and have business feel to them. Endurance doesn't have either of these feels. Personally, I think Discovery is a much better name and fits the theme.

Couldn't agree more.

Unless they make it tank like a Skiff. In which case, ok. Big smile
Tabris Katz
The Forgotten Children
#210 - 2015-10-28 07:07:40 UTC
Jajuka Cirim wrote:
Tabris Katz wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Unless they make it tank like a Skiff. In which case, ok. Big smile

At that point just call it for what it is, Brick Lol
Bla5to Frigate
iHaul Industries
#211 - 2015-10-30 14:27:54 UTC
I for one, am looking forward to this ship. Being a wormhole dweller this will make a nice addition for me once those shattered frigate systems link up with ours. It will make for a great corp ice mining fleet in those systems. In and out kinda stuff.
Xeator
soldiers.fi
#212 - 2015-11-02 04:07:47 UTC
Ill point this out again, like I did back when the Prospect was realeased.

Why do frigate sized ships have larger ore bays than mining barges or exhumers? A Covetor has 7000m3.

I mean for gameplay purposes it makes sense, if they had holds the size of 1000m3 or something you couldnt really mine in them. So, does that mean the current barge/exhumer balance is still off? I mean, they did just get rebalanced...
Nocturhnal
Goats out of Authority
#213 - 2015-11-03 17:35:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Nocturhnal
Xeator wrote:

Why do frigate sized ships have larger ore bays than mining barges or exhumers? A Covetor has 7000m3.

Bigger ore bay, more mobility, but less mining yield, it's a matter of choice, mining barge and exhumers will stay the rolls royce of ice mining.

This ship has been designed for ninja ice mining in frigate sized shattered wormhole.

And in my opinon, mining 15 blocks and returning in base represent too much risk for few isk involved.
If there was a new kind of magic expensive ice only found in shattered wormhole why not, but for mining dark glitter or whatever else, isk / h is still poor, ninja gas harvesting C320 is really more interesting for the same risks.

But 15000 m3 ore hold.... can we fit gas harvester on ? Big smile
Orge Snorrsen
Time for Evac
#214 - 2015-11-03 18:50:23 UTC
Quote:
Standard ore mining in a Endurance will be about as fast as a Venture due to the 200% role bonus to mining yield, but will be slower than a Prospect.

Did i do the wrong maths myself, or is there something else faulty happening?

Using a Miner II will grant 60m³/min in a rookie ship for example, so 120m³/min fitted in the Venture due to the 100% Role Bonus
With 2 Mining Turrets the Venture can harvest around 240m³/min.

The Endurance although will still get a 180m³/min yield due to the 1 miner and 200% bonus.
Correctly a 300% would be needed, considering the same mining frigate skill bonus between venture/endurance
Lady Rift
His Majesty's Privateers
#215 - 2015-11-03 19:50:13 UTC
Nocturhnal wrote:
Xeator wrote:

Bigger ore bay, more mobility, but less mining yield, it's a matter of choice, mining barge and exhumers will stay the rolls royce of ice mining.

This ship has been designed for ninja ice mining in frigate sized shattered wormhole.

And in my opinon, mining 15 blocks and returning in base represent too much risk for few isk involved.
If there was a new kind of magic expensive ice only found in shattered wormhole why not, but for mining dark glitter or whatever else, isk / h is still poor, ninja gas harvesting C320 is really more interesting for the same risks.

But 15000 m3 ore hold.... can we fit gas harvester on ? Big smile

the prospect has 10k bay and is the fastest ship in eve for gas mining with the ability to warp cloaked
Bla5to Frigate
iHaul Industries
#216 - 2015-11-04 03:04:08 UTC
Everyone is complaining about the size comparison between the ore holds of the barges and the Endurance frigate. I have a friend with a corvette engine in a Volkswagen beetle. When compared to the Corvette, the beetle is small as hell, but puts out the same power as the Corvette. To someone that doesn't know "the secret" they wonder how can this be. Everyone is looking at the size of the hull without seeing the goodies inside filling that space up. Use your imaginations and think about all of the neat and tidy insides of the Endurance allowing it to cram in as much storage space as it gets while the mining barges are just thrown together with wires all slung out everywhere and bits and pieces scattered about. Have fun with it!

Maybe that will help, it is just a game folks....

Keep it going CCP.

Irya Boone
The Scope
#217 - 2015-11-04 03:23:00 UTC
Why only 5% bonus ? be bold and put a 10% instead please

CCP it's time to remove Off Grid Boost and Put Them on Killmail too, add Logi on killmails .... Open that damn door !!

you shall all bow and pray BoB

Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#218 - 2015-11-04 05:22:02 UTC
Bla5to Frigate wrote:
Everyone is complaining about the size comparison between the ore holds of the barges and the Endurance frigate. I have a friend with a corvette engine in a Volkswagen beetle. When compared to the Corvette, the beetle is small as hell, but puts out the same power as the Corvette. To someone that doesn't know "the secret" they wonder how can this be. Everyone is looking at the size of the hull without seeing the goodies inside filling that space up. Use your imaginations and think about all of the neat and tidy insides of the Endurance allowing it to cram in as much storage space as it gets while the mining barges are just thrown together with wires all slung out everywhere and bits and pieces scattered about. Have fun with it!

Maybe that will help, it is just a game folks....

Keep it going CCP.

Yep. We've got here an efficient little use of space. Meanwhile on the Barges we have powerhouses dedicated to stripping an asteroid bare in moments. It has a whole hell of a lot of hardware taking up its larger frame. It also has more powerful defenses, stronger shields, thicker armour, bigger engines, etc. There are perfectly good reasons as to why something with a smaller volume can have a more efficient use of space inside.

As to balance, it's because it's supposed to get in, fill up and get out. It's a slower miner than most of the barges despite the larger hold than half so you won't see it used sitting in a local belt jetcan mining over a Skiff or Hulk. It'll be used to go multiple jumps and fill up in... less than welcoming space, so it needs to have enough capacity to make it worth a trip.

Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Lady Rift wrote:
...also jump freighters don't require freighter at 5.
Hence "(JFs aside)"

T1 skill to V was required to inject T2 skill. T2 skill was the only real requirement to fly the ship. If things played out in a certain way before you could lose, for example, Amarr Cruiser V but still have the HAC skill trained up and be able to fly a Zealot.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#219 - 2015-11-04 11:13:36 UTC
I have given up with the mining frigates and probably won't bother with this one either.

The venture and the prospector are too slow at gas mining for my taste. I want a cruiser (or larger) size hull that can gas mine 2 to 3 times faster than a venture!

It should of happened years ago but i still think new subsystems should be added to T3 cruisers that would allow them to fill a harvesting/extraction role, amongst other things.
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#220 - 2015-11-04 11:24:23 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
I have given up with the mining frigates and probably won't bother with this one either.

The venture and the prospector are too slow at gas mining for my taste. I want a cruiser (or larger) size hull that can gas mine 2 to 3 times faster than a venture!

It should of happened years ago but i still think new subsystems should be added to T3 cruisers that would allow them to fill a harvesting/extraction role, amongst other things.

I too want the price of gas to drop by 50% or more. It would certainly make gas based things cheaper. Drugs are gas based, right? I've always wanted to use the stronger ones more.