These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

what do i do?

Author
N0S
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2015-11-01 15:53:28 UTC
I just started; sold a ton of my stuff that I got in my starter pack but now I dont really know what to do... on the bright side I made my character look pretty cool Pirate
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2015-11-01 16:11:54 UTC
General day 1 newbro advice goes something like :

Do the career agents for free stuff and skill books and a basic into to game mechanics (particularly the exploration ones, scanning is a valuable skill in both pve and PvP).

Then look for the sisters of eve epic arc (blood stained stars or something like that), as itl shower you with isk.

Talk to people along the way , **** up local and have a giggle at the locals expense.

Once you think you have an interest in something have a look at the other groups involved in that activitie and see if you want to fly with any of them.

We are the content here so get involved
Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#3 - 2015-11-01 16:12:24 UTC
You start with the Opportunities and tutorial career missions to give you a feel for the game. Then join a player corporation where you'll find some experienced players to provide guidance. After that http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2015-11-01 16:17:40 UTC
Play around with the game and try different stuff out. It's a sandbox so you'll have to find your own playstyle. Also bigger is not always better in this game and ships are disposable tools to accomplish a task.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2015-11-01 16:27:31 UTC
That's really up to you. This game is marketed as a sandbox, so you take the tools you have available and try to do _____ with it. It can be a bit disorienting if you're expecting a more traditional MMORPG experience. To use a cliche turning of phrase, "EVE isn't WOW in Space". As said, kind of cliche right? It does come however from a core truth to how this game works. The progression visible in the skill point system is ancillary, and not something you should judge your success or even effectiveness on. There is no "grind to level 100, then get end game gear" type path or progression, there are no quests or set, repeatable grand arching story lines (missions are nowhere near as fleshed out as questing in other RPGs). We, the players make history here, we write the stories by our actions.

I've been playing over a year, and have acquired very little in value ISK wise, SP wise I'm still far behind all the long time vets, and always will be. I have very little actual power, (I'm not in a position to affect the market in a big way, or crumble an alliance etc...). However, I have experiences, ones that when it come to gaming, I cherish the most, out of any game I've played ever. This a game where you are rewarded by your own sense of satisfaction mostly. Yeah, you can find cool loot and sell it and that can be satisfying. Me? I'm satisfied when I have a great fight, win or lose and come away with a grin on my face. Or even just a silly story.

Just the other day, I logged in for the first time in a couple weeks, and picked up a couple kills with my buddy, turns out it was a young player, so we took him aside and educated him a bit on how to survive better. I felt like I'd made a difference in this newbies experience in the game, and hopefully contributed to him stickig with it. Later, we took extremely obvious bait (Cyno Drake), and died, we then immediately rushed back to try and kill the stupid drake with long range ships since it was still there. I failed miserably at that and died again. Silly silly BS. But I was grinning ear to ear.

None of the above is particularly uncommon, it's even fairly banal in lowsec, but it keeps me logging in. I'll stop ranting now and leave you with this, EVE is a game where you have to 'forge your own path'.

Here are the more practical tips however Blink.

- Start out with doing the tutorial missions. You'll get some starting capital and basic (very basic) understanding of the game's mechanics.

- Socialize, with other newbies, vets, people who kill you, everyone.

- Try a bit of everything, never know what type of gameplay you'll enjoy.

But do mull over what I wrote about before, be open to what possibilities are around every corner and explore them, or don't. It's up to you.

Welcome to New Eden.

o7

Grrr.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#6 - 2015-11-01 18:48:25 UTC
And yes you have a very sinister looking avatar with a cool name to boot,
*gives forum candy *
just please don't waste them and go into mining,
it'd be a damn shame
N0S
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2015-11-02 00:27:43 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
*gives forum candy *
it'd be a damn shame

Thanks bro; I appreciate it. I always go for like the zombie look. And thanks I thought it was a pretty cool name too.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#8 - 2015-11-02 00:52:36 UTC
I have a guide in my sig that might have some helpful info if you're interested in mission running. If you're more into PvP you can always look into faction war. Pretty easy for new players to get into that.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#9 - 2015-11-02 00:58:57 UTC
N0S wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
*gives forum candy *
it'd be a damn shame

Thanks bro; I appreciate it. I always go for like the zombie look. And thanks I thought it was a pretty cool name too.

no worries mate.

Nos in eve terms fyi is a PvP module used to suck your opponents capacitor and add it to your own,
particularly strong on the blood raiders ships as they have a specific bonus to using it.

Those ships also have the added bonus of using their capacitor as ammunition so you can literally shoot someone in the face with their own cap.

Welcome aboard.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#10 - 2015-11-02 01:43:34 UTC
Go kill a bunch of people. That's what you do.

Also skill into Amarr ships and make your name mean it.
Thierry Orlenard
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-11-02 11:56:47 UTC
Welcome.
Some specifics: F12 to find the Career Agents.
The Sisters of Eve Blood Stained Stars epic arc starts in the Arnon system at the Sisters of Eve station there.

Besides that, Ralph said about about "we are the content" is absolutely true. Explore, meet people, shoot them and be shot. Join a corp, learn from them. If you're unhappy, don't feel obligated to stay; but try not to burn bridges when you leave. This playerbase is actually pretty small and you never know when you'll run into the same people again.

But most of all, have lots of fun!
Bastion Arzi
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-11-02 12:50:03 UTC
you could become a pirate.

i have ove 600 million in ill gotten lewt sitting in my hagar.

pvp can be profitable, especially when scrubs fit deadspace mods.

if u do become a pirate get into a corp. having friends and information is essential to ur success.

not saying that solo is impossible. its just much harder.
Memphis Baas
#13 - 2015-11-02 13:55:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
This game does not have lines of quests or ranked battlegrounds to guide you along; it's what we call a "sandbox" where you're just given the tools (ships), and you have to figure out what to "build" or "destroy" with them all by yourself. You basically create your own entertainment.

And that's not everyone's cup of tea.

So I'll mirror the advice above; do the career agents and figure out what you'd like to do (if PVP - what kinds: small skirmishes, piracy, large wars, solo / exploratory), PVE (industry, trading, missions, exploration).

And then try to find a good corporation to join (it's ok if you join a string of bad ones on your way to finding a good one), because a corporation will have its own goals to keep you entertained, so you don't have to keep coming up with yours.

Just keep in mind that high-sec is safe-ish, and everything is quite easy to do solo, so as a result high-sec corps kinda suck as they don't have much to keep the members interacting socially and entertained. It's likely that for the best corp, you'll have to find a low-sec, null, or wormhole corp, as those operate in "dangerous" areas and thus by necessity their members stick together and interact socially a lot more.

Finally, this is a PVP game, pretty much unrestricted. You will be attacked even if you try to be the most peaceful industrialist, it's what we do - it's a game of shooting spaceships, and we will shoot you. Instead of trying to avoid PVP, embrace it as part of the game, and add it as a possibility into your PVE activities (if you end up focusing on PVE, that is - if you end up PVP'ing, have at it).
Sitting Bull Lakota
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2015-11-04 12:07:03 UTC
You should first unfrack your overview.

Second, you should go to ESC->Shortcuts->Navigation and set W A S D as your direction keys.
Mess with your hotkeys. As with the overview, the default hotkeys aren't particularly intuitive.
I've got the first 3 modules of each row mapped to Alt+ Q,W,E; A,S,D; Z,X,C (overheat with Shift)
I've got Warp/Jump/Dock on Q. Warp to on E. Orbit on Mouse5. Keep at range on Mouse4.
Basically, play with it until you've got a good set of keys under your fingers.
Way too many people play this game with left click and f1.

Third. Keep your skill queue full. If you don't know what you want to train into then train anything from the Engineering skill set. Power Grid Management and Cpu Management are the two big fitting skills. Get them going. Or train Navigation skills. Speed is useful to all ships.
As you are filling your skill queue, look through ISIS and check out the ships. Pick one you like.
When I started, I liked the look of the Pilgrim and Curse. Neuts and drones for annihilating your target with the cruel calculating resolve of a submarine? Yes please!
I speant most of my training time in Engineering, Armor, Electronics, and Drones. I made isk doing missions in the tech 1 Arbitrator. I did some pvp in an Arbitrator. I've been pretty on-again off-again, because that's how I am. I ended up in Tenal shooting at a Sabre. No Pilgrims were hurt in the process. Not too bad for a first time Pilgrim pilot.
If you don't know what you like, then join a corp and ask them what you should train. They'll probably give you some good guidance. Be wary of corps that try to get you to train into a mining barge. Mining is a dry and monotonous task.

Basically what I did. If you have twenty bucks lying around, buy a plex and sell it on market. 1.2billion goes a long way if you don't blow it on a lol-fit Scorpion Navy Issue.