These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Imicus Exploration WCS!?

Author
Ettu Brute II
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-01-03 19:58:10 UTC
Eve-Uni's suggested fitting for an Imicus explorer has the lows fitted with a Nanofiber and a Warp Core Stabiliser. I could understand a Nano/Inertial Stabilser fit, but a WCS? Surely not? Especially as this ship is often suggested for running the easier sites as well as for finding them - and the inclusion of three Hobgoblins suggests that the Uni fit is intended to do exactly that.

I know I'm a newbie, but am I right that this is a bit wayward, or is there some point to the WCS that I've missed?
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2012-01-03 20:06:39 UTC
it's obviously a low sec explorer...

or one that can explore while at war...

or one that might be doing sites in which the can be pointed by rats...

The Drake is a Lie

Zendo Akuma
Jester's Fleet
Jester's Alliance
#3 - 2012-01-03 20:23:54 UTC
if a combat site has warp scram, i dont think you can run it in an Imicus.

For low sec exploration, that might work, but once again i don't think an Imicus can handle the rats in low sec.

For gate camps, the cloak + WMD trick is still the best, so i wouldnt bother with the WCS
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#4 - 2012-01-03 20:39:01 UTC
Zendo Akuma wrote:

For gate camps, the cloak + WMD trick is still the best, so i wouldnt bother with the WCS

This, but newbies usually can't pull off cloak+mwd because of skills. I wouldn't bother with the WCS myself. The Imicus is disposable and made of paper anyway. I would probably just fit a Damage Control I or just another nano.

I don't know what audience Eve-Uni was addressing, but if they were talking to their own members, they might have recommended WCS to avoid people who are at war with them.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#5 - 2012-01-03 20:44:34 UTC
I just gave reasonable explanations, I didn't say they had to make sense xD

The Drake is a Lie

Zendo Akuma
Jester's Fleet
Jester's Alliance
#6 - 2012-01-03 22:20:00 UTC
cloak + MWD takes about 1 day to train, and its quite easy to pull off.

It can save you a lot of ISK, especially if you run exploration in more expensive fits later
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#7 - 2012-01-03 23:05:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Quote:

It can save you a lot of ISK, especially if you run exploration in more expensive fits later

Oh. I guess I forgot how easy it was to train. Then yes, mwd+ cloak is the right answer.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Ettu Brute II
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-01-03 23:37:41 UTC
Zendo Akuma wrote:

Assuming you have the skills to fit the modules, what needs to be trained? I thought it was just a matter of timing.
Zendo Akuma
Jester's Fleet
Jester's Alliance
#9 - 2012-01-03 23:44:05 UTC
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Zendo Akuma wrote:

Assuming you have the skills to fit the modules, what needs to be trained? I thought it was just a matter of timing.

just train to fit the most basic t1 modules, and the timing is pretty straight foward

align>micro warpdrive>cloak

after one cycle of micro warpdrive, decloak and hit warp

Your ship should warp intantly
Ettu Brute II
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-01-04 01:39:06 UTC
Yeah, I understand the principle, thanks - I was just puzzled by the reference to a training need. I read somewhere on these forums (or maybe Battle Clinic) that you need an Improved Cloaking Device II for this. Is that true, or does it apply only to Industrials?

Also, according to a video I downloaded, despite the usual cloaking rules it can actually go align>cloak>mwd>warp.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#11 - 2012-01-04 02:52:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kahega Amielden
It's probably better to hit the cloak first just because any time spent uncloaked is time they can use to lock you. Both work, though, if you have fast fingers.

The reason you need an Improved Cloak is that it reduces your speed to 25% base, whereas the base cloak reduces it to 10%. Microwarpdrives roughly quintuple your speed. So, MWDing with a t2 cloak will send you about 125% your base speed (and you need to be about 75% base speed to warp) and the t1 cloak will put you at about 50% base speed.

T1 cloak would reduce the time spent aligning to warp, and with an imicus it would probably be sufficient to get you past any lowsec camp, but it would not be an instant warp after decloak like it is with the t2 cloak.

Also, you CANNOT use the MWD+cloak trick on a t1 industrial. T1 industrials need a 10mn MWD, which needs 150 PG - no T1 indy can fit that except maybe if you use multiple fitting mods.

T2 industrials can, however. The blockade runner gets a covert ops cloak anyway and the deep space transport has enough PG to do MWD + cloak (but it's still pretty risky because it aligns really slowly).
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-01-04 18:31:27 UTC
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Zendo Akuma wrote:

http://desusig.crumplecorn.com/playerskill.jpg
Liam Mirren
#13 - 2012-01-06 09:52:49 UTC
Zendo Akuma wrote:
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Zendo Akuma wrote:

just train to fit the most basic t1 modules, and the timing is pretty straight foward

align>micro warpdrive>cloak

after one cycle of micro warpdrive, decloak and hit warp

Your ship should warp intantly

It's doesn't work with a T1 cloak as you won't have enough speed at the end of the MWD cycle to insta warp away. It might not be much of an issue on fast frigates but anything bigger/slower has a chance of being caught out when using a T1 cloak. Use a T2 Improved cloak instead.

Apart from that, the right order is align>cloak>MWD>decloak>warp.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Hamster Too
Golden Fowl
#14 - 2012-01-06 15:52:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Hamster Too
Kahega Amielden wrote:
It's probably better to hit the cloak first just because any time spent uncloaked is time they can use to lock you. Both work, though, if you have fast fingers.

The reason you need an Improved Cloak is that it reduces your speed to 25% base, whereas the base cloak reduces it to 10%. Microwarpdrives roughly quintuple your speed. So, MWDing with a t2 cloak will send you about 125% your base speed (and you need to be about 75% base speed to warp) and the t1 cloak will put you at about 50% base speed.

T1 cloak would reduce the time spent aligning to warp, and with an imicus it would probably be sufficient to get you past any lowsec camp, but it would not be an instant warp after decloak like it is with the t2 cloak.

Also, you CANNOT use the MWD+cloak trick on a t1 industrial. T1 industrials need a 10mn MWD, which needs 150 PG - no T1 indy can fit that except maybe if you use multiple fitting mods.

T2 industrials can, however. The blockade runner gets a covert ops cloak anyway and the deep space transport has enough PG to do MWD + cloak (but it's still pretty risky because it aligns really slowly).

Cloak+MWD works just fine for T1 industrials, you just need enough modules/rigs to increase your indy's power budget to be able to fit the MWD. And yes, you have to fit the Improved Cloaking Device to be able to use this trick.
Ettu Brute II
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2012-01-07 02:47:16 UTC
Hamster Too wrote:
Cloak+MWD works just fine for T1 industrials, you just need enough modules/rigs to increase your indy's power budget to be able to fit the MWD. And yes, you have to fit the Improved Cloaking Device to be able to use this trick.

I read somewhere that a 1mn MWD gives sufficient boost to do the trick. Is there any truth in that?
Liam Mirren
#16 - 2012-01-07 03:31:05 UTC
Ettu Brute II wrote:
Hamster Too wrote:

I read somewhere that a 1mn MWD gives sufficient boost to do the trick. Is there any truth in that?

No it won't. It can help though if you don't use a cloak and your base align time is more than 10 seconds but it's useless with the cloak strategy.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.