These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cargoholds, Ships, and Capital SMAs

First post
Author
Pandemic Legion
#1 - 2015-10-31 04:57:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Rockstara
This point was brought up at the capital round table, but it is not fun to attempt to pack a carrier (and soon my dread too Big smile) ship maintenance array (SMA) only to have to click through every individual ships' cargohold to remove the non-ammunition I've packed it with. There are a bunch of items I want in my cargohold when I fly my ship.
1. Liquid ozone
2. Drugs
3. Mobile depots
4. Alternative modules. Such as cloak, specific damage type hardeners, points, webs, etc.

I don't want to take them out to move the ship by carrier. Ships placed into capital SMAs should be allowed to have anything in their cargo.

There is some history to the current situation. A long time ago carriers were allowed to put ships full of cargo in the SMA. While awesome for most people a few used that to transport industrials filled with T1 modules. These modules were a way to move low end minerals for super and titan production in a minimum amount of cargo space. Uncompressed a titan would take about 100 jump freighter loads, the reduction in trips was more than a factor of 10. This was kind of ridiculous as carriers were cheaper and could jump further than jump freighters that were designed for moving cargo by jump drive. So that ability disappeared in one release cycle:
In revelations II (June 2007, http://community.eveonline.com/news/patch-notes/revelations-ii-patch-notes-features-fixes-and-improvements-1)
Quote:
Players can now store ships with items in the cargohold in ship maintenance bays/arrays
You can no longer be able to store ships in ship maintenance bays when there are assembled containers inside them

Trinity (Dec 2007, http://community.eveonline.com/news/patch-notes/eve-trinity-changes-and-fixes-1)
Quote:
Capital and Capital Industrial class ships (Carriers, Motherships, Titans and Rorquals) will need to have ships removed from their ship maintenance arrays before the deployment of EVE: Trinity. Leaving anything other than ammunition or cap booster charges in the array may result in the ship not being able to move, warp or jump.

But that didn’t actually stop carriers being used to move low end minerals? No, the super builders switched to ammunition and packed haulers full of it until the 2014 reprocessing changes (http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/reprocess-all-the-things/) Meanwhile I’ve been stuck loading and unloading my cargobays. Now that reprocessing maxes out at 55% there is little risk of loaded cargobays allowing easy transport of minerals

There is a gotcha with drugs and contraband - the hi sec SMAs of nestors and orcas should still be fined.
#2 - 2015-10-31 05:26:08 UTC
Removing some of the SMA restrictions came up at the round table in Vegas. We'll continue to follow up with it and I am sure that it will come up again as part of the Capital Focus Group that CCP Larrikin is creating.

Removing the contraband restrictions on boosters is one of the things I have pushed for. I have no idea how much headway I've made but hopefully!

Member of CSM9 and CSM10.

#3 - 2015-10-31 07:55:52 UTC
HOORAH! My third pick vote for CSM sugar doing work!

I'd love it if that could include cargo cans but that might be hard for the database? Wormholer with canned subsystems on a t3 to save some space here...
Pandemic Legion
#4 - 2015-10-31 11:52:57 UTC
I was the one who asked the question at the roundtable

Every single reason for banning it in 2007 was valid at the time

in 2015 every single reason that made it viable and deserving of a ban has been removed - Most natobly the reprocessing changes of Cruis July 2014

There is NO REASON left to not allow anything in cargo of ships in a SMA

Drugs and contraband in highsec would be the only sticking point IMO
oohthey ioh
#5 - 2015-10-31 12:16:28 UTC
Easy fix, any item they are carrying gets taking out the capital ship cargo or the cargo gets added to the ship volume]
#6 - 2015-10-31 14:10:42 UTC
oohthey ioh wrote:
Easy fix, any item they are carrying gets taking out the capital ship cargo or the cargo gets added to the ship volume]

The easy fix is not always the best fix.

Looking at you fozzie >.>
Triumvirate.
#7 - 2015-10-31 15:38:03 UTC
oohthey ioh wrote:

Easy to say, a nightmare to program.

This gets my full support, especially since most nullsec doctrines require a slew of refits of everything from guns to hardeners.
#8 - 2015-11-01 03:34:11 UTC
Sugar Kyle wrote:
Removing the contraband restrictions on boosters is one of the things I have pushed for. I have no idea how much headway I've made but hopefully!

Hopefully not.

It is good that Standard and higher grade combat boosters are considered contraband in the Empires. There is canonical PF support of their contraband status (just look at how dangerous these chemical compounds are, as demonstrated in the Short Story "Saccade"). Their illegality brings with it a need for the player to pay closer attention in what is otherwise a mostly threat-less environment. It creates a market niche that is more difficult to understand and capitalize on than "buy low/sell high, adjust order by 0.01 ISK" and for those of us who have taken the time and put forth the effort and the seed money, the rewards are great.

The rewards are also great for the end user who benefits from stacking the bonuses provided by Combat Boosters with those provided by their corp's Link Alts (or even more significant for those who do not benefit from Link Alts).

Further, it doesn't provide a career path just for those of us with the will to figure out the complex production chain and manufacture every player-manufactured Combat Booster available, it also provides a niche for smuggling that can be very lucrative. I have personally made over 100m ISK just to transport peoples' drugs from one place to another, which I do without incurring fines or other penalties and without sticking to lowsec or wormhole routes - it's not like it's difficult.

Removing the contraband status of illegal drugs would only serve to dumb down an Eve that's already been watered down from the game that most of us originally fell in love with. The only ones who'd benefit from this are CODE., who benefit from anything that promotes laziness in the playerbase.

If any change is to be made with regards to contraband items in Eve, that change should be making sure that Customs NPCs only appear on Constellation border gates, and never on system-to-system gates.