These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Why can't I insert a skillbook in my skill queue?

Author
Cherry Nobyl
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-01-05 20:46:39 UTC
Tear Miner wrote:
So, here I am sitting at my desk, about to leave for work and I'm 1h 35m away from finishing a prerequisite to another skill that I have as a skillbook in my item hangar.

fml.

this, and other, examples are why skill queues should be allowed to be managed semi offline while logged into evegate.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#22 - 2012-01-05 20:51:16 UTC
Shizuken wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
counter-proposal --> remove the queue altogether.

F**k that... It would be fine if all I had left to train ever were level 4 and 5 skills. But when you get to some area with a ton of new skills I would not want to be online for hours on end just to never miss the end of training a skill to start a new one.

The queue (which took a good long while to be implemented) was introduced to stop Alarm clock skill switching. It does this. If you need to inject a skill, queue up your next already injected skill until you have the time to queue it up.

Otherwise the potential for abuse/whining fails is obvious.

@OP: If you're committing to a fleet composition based on a skill you don't yet have, uhhh, wut?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Vyl Vit
#23 - 2012-01-05 20:58:47 UTC
Doncha love folks who answer their own questions in the question? "I can't bend EVE to my will to accomodate the fact I'm playing at work...instead of working. RECODE THE GAME!"

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#24 - 2012-01-05 21:43:37 UTC
Tear Miner wrote:
So, here I am sitting at my desk, about to leave for work and I'm 1h 35m away from finishing a prerequisite to another skill that I have as a skillbook in my item hangar.

To pre-inject a book into a skill queue, it would have to be removed from your inventory. Also, when removed from the skill queue, the book would have to restored to your inventory. Since you might be in a pod in space, the book would have to be restored to your home station.

All that adds up to a lot of new code, and potential problems I missed. Plus, the skill queue does what it was designed to do, so CCP currently doesn't seem to have any interest in revisiting it.

Would be nice though.
Ai Shun
#25 - 2012-01-05 21:51:16 UTC
Tear Miner wrote:

fml.

Tear Miner wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point here.

You don't automatically inject it once you place the skillbook into your queue. It automatically injects it when the prereq skill in your queue finishes, so by the time of skillbook injection you do have the prereq.

It'd be nice to schedule injecting skillbooks through the skill queue, just sayin'.

If you actually communicated the point you wanted people to get in your original post you may have had a more successful fishing trip. It is a common mistake people make. They write something with all their background knowledge and thoughts; yet somehow expect others to divine their intent. There is a fancy word for it, but I don't recall what it is.

I find that EVEMon is very good for managing your skills as you can create a plan, set your remaps and know when what finishes. This leaves you without a nasty little surprise like this one. It does require a bit of diligence and I'm starting to think this is an attribute that, despite the game's nature, a number of players in EVE Online lack.

I do like the idea of being able to queue skill injections as well. Maybe you should create a thread in the Suggestion sub-forum for it.
Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#26 - 2012-01-05 22:13:24 UTC
Bumblefck wrote:
Scortched Merc wrote:
Because your not smart enough yet to use that book yet.

*you're

And you're not smart enough to post here yet!

You must not start a sentence with a conjunction, dear boy.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#27 - 2012-01-05 22:21:32 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Turrell 1 wrote:
Tear Miner wrote:
Orlacc wrote:
Yes it would be nice.

So would peace on earth.

I think we can agree that peace on earth and this feature request have vastly different levels of difficulty.

I predict peace on earth before CCP even thinks about changing the skill que. Straight
I predict we'll get another thread in this regard in the near future and that will also contain the incorrect spelling of the word queue. There will also be someone like myself, pointing out the error. P

Skill what?

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#28 - 2012-01-05 22:41:55 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
Scortched Merc wrote:

*you're

Conjunction Junction, WHAT'S YOUR FUNCTION, hooking up words and phrases and clauses

Fragmentary clauses are commonly used in responses during informal communication, both written and oral.
Consider it an informally organized list of clauses. Using a conjunction to link clauses is valid. Especially when the first one isn't a sentence*.

*"you're"

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Vyl Vit
#29 - 2012-01-06 00:00:56 UTC
The epitome of ignorance, the proliferation of failure to learn (ignoring things is ignorance) the differences between their, there and they're. Heap upon this pile "you're" and "your". The stupidity this involves is monumental! No, wait...I said ignorant. Okay, ignorant it is, then.

Their - possessive pronoun.
There - pronoun signifying a PLACE.
They're - contraction of "they are".

This is required reading, by the way (btw for those who need it.)

Your - yet another possessive pronoun. Your is singular. Their is plural. (Plural means "more than ONE.")
You're - contraction of "you are." You're is (again) singular. They're is (again) plural.

If you only knew how dumb you look when you misuse these, you'll find the beginnings of why you're terminally unemployable.

Ai Shun
#30 - 2012-01-06 00:05:50 UTC
Vyl Vit wrote:
If you only knew how dumb you look when you misuse these, you'll find the beginnings of why you're terminally unemployable.

This has always resonated for me. It explains things in a way even the terminally stupid can understand.
Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-01-06 00:12:07 UTC
This idea is BRILLIANT. Next on the agenda would be having an automatic skill queue where you load up all the skills you want to train in one big line and never touch the game again. Simply MARVELOUS.

Why not just do what any normal person would do and, you know, train another skill until you can get back to a computer that is able to train that skill. It's not like there aren't any other skills you couldn't train and that if you don't train this skill next something bad is going to happen.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#32 - 2012-01-06 01:23:29 UTC
I want to insert apple pies in my avatar picture so it doesnt look crappy like this, why can't CCP make virtual apple pies in the nex store so we can take screenshots of ourselves with apple pies?

I mean, it's apple pies, why it should be so hard, EVIL CPP I HATE YOU! Y U NO MAKE VIRTUAL APPLE PIES?

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Vyl Vit
#33 - 2012-01-06 04:13:09 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Vyl Vit wrote:

This has always resonated for me. It explains things in a way even the terminally stupid can understand.

Now, that is priceless.

Jaa-Ko Arakal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-01-06 04:24:07 UTC
I see how important grammar is to all of you guys so I thought I would give you a link to a fun site.

http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html

Enjoy!

On-topic: Yeah, it would be nice, but its not worth the trouble it would take to code right so people can't **** with it getting free skill books or accidentally deleting a skill book ro something. I would much rather CCP focus on actual issues with the game tbh.
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#35 - 2012-01-06 04:41:59 UTC
Tear Miner
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-01-06 06:14:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Tear Miner
RubyPorto wrote:
Shizuken wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
counter-proposal --> remove the queue altogether.

F**k that... It would be fine if all I had left to train ever were level 4 and 5 skills. But when you get to some area with a ton of new skills I would not want to be online for hours on end just to never miss the end of training a skill to start a new one.

The queue (which took a good long while to be implemented) was introduced to stop Alarm clock skill switching. It does this. If you need to inject a skill, queue up your next already injected skill until you have the time to queue it up.

Otherwise the potential for abuse/whining fails is obvious.

@OP: If you're committing to a fleet composition based on a skill you don't yet have, uhhh, wut?

If you must know, I have BC V and can fit the T2 weapons, but I don't have the cruiser III to fly a racial BC I usually don't fly.. So I was needing to train cruiser after frigate IV finished... was just wishing I could have the cruiser skillbook auto inject after frigate IV completed.
Tear Miner
Doomheim
#37 - 2012-01-06 06:16:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tear Miner
Ai Shun wrote:
Tear Miner wrote:

fml.

Tear Miner wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point here.

You don't automatically inject it once you place the skillbook into your queue. It automatically injects it when the prereq skill in your queue finishes, so by the time of skillbook injection you do have the prereq.

It'd be nice to schedule injecting skillbooks through the skill queue, just sayin'.

If you actually communicated the point you wanted people to get in your original post you may have had a more successful fishing trip. It is a common mistake people make. They write something with all their background knowledge and thoughts; yet somehow expect others to divine their intent. There is a fancy word for it, but I don't recall what it is.

I find that EVEMon is very good for managing your skills as you can create a plan, set your remaps and know when what finishes. This leaves you without a nasty little surprise like this one. It does require a bit of diligence and I'm starting to think this is an attribute that, despite the game's nature, a number of players in EVE Online lack.

I do like the idea of being able to queue skill injections as well. Maybe you should create a thread in the Suggestion sub-forum for it.

Read the title.
Now read the post.
Now read the title again.
Now read the post again.
Now back to the title.
Now back to the post.

If you still don't get it, it's not my job on the internet to help you understand what you don't understand.
Tiberius Sunstealer
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-01-06 07:12:46 UTC
Tear Miner wrote:
If you must know, I have BC V and can fit the T2 weapons, but I don't have the cruiser III to fly a racial BC I usually don't fly.. So I was needing to train cruiser after frigate IV finished... was just wishing I could have the cruiser skillbook auto inject after frigate IV completed.

So you can't just train Gunnery or Navigation skills until you can inject Cruisers? Instead of doing what everyone else does and training something else until you can inject and train Cruisers, you come to the forums and complain that the game needs a new feature where it requires even less work on the players behalf. As I said before, soon you're going to complain that you have to keep checking skills and putting new ones in every x amount of days and want that changed too.
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#39 - 2012-01-06 09:08:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Bumblefck
RubyPorto wrote:
Wacktopia wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
Scortched Merc wrote:

*you're

Conjunction Junction, WHAT'S YOUR FUNCTION, hooking up words and phrases and clauses

Fragmentary clauses are commonly used in responses during informal communication, both written and oral.
Consider it an informally organized list of clauses. Using a conjunction to link clauses is valid. Especially when the first one isn't a sentence*.

*"you're"

^^

Thank you for inserting the speech marks! :)

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Roscojameson
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-01-06 09:30:37 UTC
I'm sure most DBA's would cry trying to make this work for all circumstances.
Previous page123Next page